Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today I'll mainly be moaning about ...

Steve

On 1/31/2022 at 8:47 AM, First_Lexus said:

and there is less and less real academic challenge. It worries me. 

The woke brigade has entered the unis and is cancelling topic after topic. Rewriting history without even noticing it. Sorry cant debate gender, skincolor, religion, islam, 2nd ww, holocaust, everything is racism and above all everybody seems to have thesame opinion. Where is the debate? Where are the different angles, what are the various thinking processes, what did lead up to this event what is the history behind it? How can one form opinions, shape your character, think think think when most topics are off limit?

2 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

The woke brigade has entered the unis and is cancelling topic after topic. Rewriting history without even noticing it. Sorry cant debate gender, skincolor, religion, islam, 2nd ww, holocaust, everything is racism and above all everybody seems to have thesame opinion. Where is the debate? Where are the different angles, what are the various thinking processes, what did lead up to this event what is the history behind it? How can one form opinions, shape your character, think think think when most topics are off limit?

Read Heather Mcdonald, eminent scholar on The Diversity Delusion 👍

Another simple moan. Red light, 1 car in front of me. Light turns green AND THEY DONT MOVE!!!!! I dont hit the horn immediately as i dont wont to come over uncivilized but i need to do it as they still DONT MOVE. I do it! i hit the horn they wake up drive off thesame time the light turns red again. Another 3 minutes of my life wasted...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

When I was at University, one of my lecturers told us (I was studying political history) the following.

Whatever your political or ethical position is on a subject, seek out those papers or articles written by the ‘other side.’ Try to understand why they believe what they do. Then try to understand your own position better. If nothing else, you’ll know what your enemies are thinking - but you might also discover that they aren’t your enemies after all.

Wise words, which I remember as if it were yesterday rather than over thirty years ago…

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

When I was at University, one of my lecturers told us (I was studying political history) the following.

Whatever your political or ethical position is on a subject, seek out those papers or articles written by the ‘other side.’ Try to understand why they believe what they do. Then try to understand your own position better. If nothing else, you’ll know what your enemies are thinking - but you might also discover that they aren’t your enemies after all.

Wise words, which I remember as if it were yesterday rather than over thirty years ago…

Wise words Ed, walk a mile in the others man's shoes, by which time he'll be barefoot and never catch you up 😂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, First_Lexus said:

Exactly that is what i mean. We live in a polarised times where you are with or against a topic. Agression and lack of respect seem to go hand in hand. Especially when educating the youngsters a free flow of information that needs to be debated from all angles is needed with students not beeing intimidated to express their opinion. I sometimes feel this " free wheeling " mental exercise is very very limited nowadays.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Unlikely advice to be given today. Sadly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Wise words Ed, walk a mile in the others man's shoes, by which time he'll be barefoot and never catch you up 😂

It’s funny. As I’ve got older, I’ve remembered things my Father, teachers, lecturers and bosses have told me over the years. No internet. Most of the advice based on experience and common sense. Much of it sticks with me, but youngsters today seem less receptive to those wise words than my generation was. To be fair, it isn’t just the younger generation - lots of people think they know best these days.

My personal favourite advice was from (what I then considered to be) the ‘elderly’ CEO of a big organisation I worked for as a new graduate. I’m sure I thought I knew the answer to everything. I was debating (disagreeing!) with him about something. He was sitting at my desk, which was quite exciting given his position and the 2500 staff that worked in that London headquarters. He gave me this advice.

If you’re going to argue a point with somebody, ask yourself these two questions. First, is it it an argument you can win? Second, is it an argument worth winning? If you can’t answer ‘yes’ to both questions, then don’t bother. He then pointed out that he was the CEO and that I couldn’t win the argument (although he had enjoyed it)…

Funny thing. During the pandemic, maybe 20 years after I last saw him, he sent me a message on LinkedIn remembering that exact discussion. I guess he’s now in his eighties, but he remembered me and congratulated me on my career and wished me all the best. Lovely man. They just don’t make them like that any more.

• Like 6

Times have certainly changed.. I was doing economy back in the eighties and this was in the middle of all sorts of protests in The Netherlands. NO to cruise missiles, No to nuclear bombs, YES to abortion, NO to capitalism, we were against a lot of things as you should beeing a student but there was definately freedom of speech and wonderful debate nights with people with different opinions (!) Beer was cheap and the night long and we all were friends, well sort of.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

It’s funny. As I’ve got older, I’ve remembered things my Father, teachers, lecturers and bosses have told me over the years. No internet. Most of the advice based on experience and common sense. Much of it sticks with me, but youngsters today seem less receptive to those wise words than my generation was. To be fair, it isn’t just the younger generation - lots of people think they know best these days.

My personal favourite advice was from (what I then considered to be) the ‘elderly’ CEO of a big organisation I worked for as a new graduate. I’m sure I thought I knew the answer to everything. I was debating (disagreeing!) with him about something. He was sitting at my desk, which was quite exciting given his position and the 2500 staff that worked in that London headquarters. He gave me this advice.

If you’re going to argue a point with somebody, ask yourself these two questions. First, is it it an argument you can win? Second, is it an argument worth winning? If you can’t answer ‘yes’ to both questions, then don’t bother. He then pointed out that he was the CEO and that I couldn’t win the argument (although he had enjoyed it)…

Funny thing. During the pandemic, maybe 20 years after I last saw him, he sent me a message on LinkedIn remembering that exact discussion. I guess he’s now in his eighties, but he remembered me and congratulated me on my career and wished me all the best. Lovely man. They just don’t make them like that any more.

In a similar vein when I was 21 ish arguing with my General manager he said, go and write me all the reasons we should do it your way and I will do the same and we can then decide. I studiously wrote down seven or eight reasons and presented them to him and he turned over his paper to reveal one reason, "I am the boss" 😊 collapse of stout party and a life long lesson hence repeating it 50 years on 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

I believe it is because we get older that we remember things we learned and when we were young maybe did not really care enough about the wise words we heard.

Sorry to admit that I know I did not always appreciate the well-meant advices I was given.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Another simple moan. Red light, 1 car in front of me. Light turns green AND THEY DONT MOVE!!!!! I dont hit the horn immediately as i dont wont to come over uncivilized but i need to do it as they still DONT MOVE. I do it! i hit the horn they wake up drive off thesame time the light turns red again. Another 3 minutes of my life wasted...

They were more than likely checking their social media! People like that should be taken outside and shot in front of their pets and extended families. Did I say "shot"? Sorry - I mistyped "given a stern talking to" again 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

I believe it is because we get older that we remember things we learned and when we were young maybe did not really care enough about the wise words we heard.

Sorry to admit that I know I did not always appreciate the well-meant advices I was given.

“It’s at times like this that I wish I’d listened to my dear old Mum.”

”Why, what did she say?”

“How would I know?  I just told you - I never listened!”

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, LenT said:

“It’s at times like this that I wish I’d listened to my dear old Mum.”

”Why, what did she say?”

“How would I know?  I just told you - I never listened!”

The only reason I didn't listen to my dear old mum was she clouted round the ears and I couldn't hear a bleedin thing 🙉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Today I offer, unreliable technology.

My Philips Hue bulbs have - seemingly without any reason - stopped responding to my Google Home devices. That sort of thing is so infuriating.

I can’t help feeling that as automation continues to gather pace, one day I’ll be in an automatically operated aeroplane, and the last thing I’ll hear is a voice calmly stating;

”I’m sorry, this aeroplane has stopped responding. You’ll now plummet to a fiery death.”

😡😬

• Haha 2

Threats and warnings 

It is rare that a day goes by when you are not being threatened with some ghastly penalty for disobeying. Seeing a comparison with PRNK would be enlightening. Today's? 

Baroness Charlotte Vere of Norbiton, Minister for Roads, Buses and Places, praised the news in a tweet, saying:“We're one step closer to making almost ANY use of a handheld mobile phone behind the wheel illegal.

This was in the context of smar****ches which are  now claimed to be more dangerous than phones and changes to the law next month 🤔 yet I have not seen a single reference to the huge screens in the EV's as being a distraction ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Today I offer, unreliable technology.

My Philips Hue bulbs have - seemingly without any reason - stopped responding to my Google Home devices. That sort of thing is so infuriating.

I can’t help feeling that as automation continues to gather pace, one day I’ll be in an automatically operated aeroplane, and the last thing I’ll hear is a voice calmly stating;

”I’m sorry, this aeroplane has stopped responding. You’ll now plummet to a fiery death.”

😡😬

Alexa can be as bad. "Alexa, turn office on" is my usual command for switching my office light on. This is despite the fact that I will walk by the light switch as I issue this order on my way in. Alexa can make you very lazy. However, when Alexa responds with "I do not understand that command" or "Here's a channel you might like", the air can turn blue. "Alexa, JFDI!"

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Threats and warnings 

It is rare that a day goes by when you are not being threatened with some ghastly penalty for disobeying. Seeing a comparison with PRNK would be enlightening. Today's? 

Baroness Charlotte Vere of Norbiton, Minister for Roads, Buses and Places, praised the news in a tweet, saying:“We're one step closer to making almost ANY use of a handheld mobile phone behind the wheel illegal.

This was in the context of smar****ches which are  now claimed to be more dangerous than phones and changes to the law next month 🤔 yet I have not seen a single reference to the huge screens in the EV's as being a distraction ? 

As it happens I use a galaxy watch which I find invaluable for notifications so I wonder if the new rules will fine me for wearing a wriswatch 🤯🤯🤯, just where exactly are we heading? I can't answer because Waze will be banned from my phone and watch. However I will still get NHS diktats 🤬

• Haha 1

but I do find google maps a blessing .  what's the point in having a built in satnav .......  jeez I'm so pleased my Ls400 is so behind, or now in advance of,     the times by NOT having  a wasteful satnav screen 

Malc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

yet I have not seen a single reference to the huge screens in the EV's as being a distraction ? 

oh that's to come I'm sure .  built in obsolescence and need for a retrofit of an ordinary dash with dials when the new MOT rules come in banning those screens ....  what, maybe 5 years hence :wink3:

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Malc said:

oh that's to come I'm sure .  built in obsolescence and need for a retrofit of an ordinary dash with dials when the new MOT rules come in banning those screens ....  what, maybe 5 years hence :wink3:

Malc

I must admit that I prefer buttons, switches and dials - once their location is memorised, there's no need to take your eyes off the road to adjust something. I have a touchscreen laptop but never use it, as after five minutes work I'd no longer be able to read anything on the screen thanks to my greasy finger prints. One in my car would look a mess very quickly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mincey said:

I must admit that I prefer buttons, switches and dials - once their location is memorised, there's no need to take your eyes off the road to adjust something. I have a touchscreen laptop but never use it, as after five minutes work I'd no longer be able to read anything on the screen thanks to my greasy finger prints. One in my car would look a mess very quickly.

Why ever do you constantly wish to see the road? There are that many maniacs it will only add to your level of neurosis 😂

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links