Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

front headlights - CT200H

elmexicano

Dear all,

I have a question regarding why my front headlights go off so quickly. 

I had my left headlight gone off 3 months ago. I went to Halfords and changed both front lights with newer versions. Everything looked fine since then. Also, in this period,  I took my car to the 60k miles major service at Cambridge Lexus. It came back with a minot faults, where I had to change the 12V Battery

This weekend on Saturday, I took my car to Cambridge Lexus for the MOT. The car passed the test without any problems. All good and clean! However, today I noticed that my left headlight went off, again. I have just communicated with Cambridge Lexus. My car is now booked in for an inspection on Thursday and will be charged £156. I am just worried there could be an electric fault causing headlights go off so quickly. 

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Or, if there was an elecrtric circuit problem, wouldn't it be noticed during the major service or the MOT?

Looking forward to your comments!

best

A.Can

4 minutes ago, elmexicano said:

Or, if there was an elecrtric circuit problem, wouldn't it be noticed during the major service or the MOT?

Most likely not.

The MOT is an inspection and the inspectors are not allowed to carry out any fault-finding, diagnostics or indeed any work at all. This is the reason why you sometimes see "Could not inspect as engine drip tray in the way" or "Could not inspect rear seatbelt due to baby seat in the way."

Also, given that your car is 9 years old, why pay the extortionate rates at Lexus dealers? Find a good auto-electrician (not a general mechanic) and they'll get it done for half the price of Lexus.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Most likely not.

The MOT is an inspection and the inspectors are not allowed to carry out any fault-finding, diagnostics or indeed any work at all. This is the reason why you sometimes see "Could not inspect as engine drip tray in the way" or "Could not inspect rear seatbelt due to baby seat in the way."

Also, given that your car is 9 years old, why pay the extortionate rates at Lexus dealers? Find a good auto-electrician (not a general mechanic) and they'll get it done for half the price of Lexus.

so you mean, this is indeed an electrical problem?

It also depends on what kind of bulbs you buy and how many miles you do in the dark when the lights are on. I find the super bright ones last much shorter time than the cheaper and dimmer ones. I had exactly the same problem where I'd change the bulb 3 times a year but now haven't touched it in over a year after buying cheap ones.

• Like 1

Could just be coincidence or a manufacturing fault in the bulb you replaced - on a previous car I had a similar issue after replacing a halogen bulb - just put it down to a poor bulb - next ones lasts just fine - halogen bulbs aren't that expensive so I'd replace again with a respected brand (like Osram or Philips) and see how they last before looking for something that might not exist. As others have said the "extra bright" bulbs do last considerably less time. 

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

Your answer can easily be perceived as sarcastic Herbie.

I do not think it is meant that way.

Quite right, it wasn't, which is why I followed it with a little emoji.

Thank you all for the comments and replies. I have just taken the car to service and they will simply change the headlights with original Lexus parts. They won't charge me for any electrical inspection. 

3 hours ago, elmexicano said:

Thank you all for the comments and replies. I have just taken the car to service and they will simply change the headlights with original Lexus parts. They won't charge me for any electrical inspection. 

Good news, good result.

I wonder how long time the original Lexus LED bulbs last.

As there are LED from factory in low beam, high beam should not be a problem as it is low beam that is regulated from factory so it does not blind oncoming cars; high beam will always be blinding so should not be a problem changing halogen to LED. For colder countries the headlight washer will be able to wash away snow on both low and high beam. Why Lexus is not installing LED on high beam is not easy to understand on cars with LED low beam. LED last much longer than halogen.

On 2/21/2022 at 6:01 PM, Sled Driver said:

I'd be interested too, to find out for my CT when the time comes to replace the front pair when one goes out!

£56 pounds for the pair including the labor. 

19 minutes ago, elmexicano said:

Cheers thank you Elmexicano. £56 including fitting for a pair of Lexus H11 bulbs. Do you know what the manufacturer of the bulb is please?

I'm currently thinking about having slightly brighter dipped beam headlights, since reading this thread. I've been looking at the Powerbulbs website and seen these. 

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram-night-breaker-laser-next-generation-h11-twin

I know that they won't last as long as my OEM bulbs. However, the price seems tempting and fitting new bulbs into the CT seems straightforward 🤞🏽

1 hour ago, elmexicano said:

For a pair of halogen-bulbs that is a price that beat any I have heard of before. Installing them should take less than 10 minutes for a trained service technician.

Osram and Philips will cost 10 - 15 for a pair and both have 3200K colour temp like the ones installed in our car.

Nobody have installed LED high beam in their CT?

I am thinking maybe good. Low beam LED is a nice white colour 5800 - 6400K and the high beam halogen is about 3200K - not very nice yellow tint. We have the needed washer from factory so what could be illegal or not good having LED as high beam? Low beam is not allowed to blind oncoming so need special pattern and factory has taken care of that, but high beam is blinding no matter if halogen or LED. When HID (Xenon gas) was new technology washer for the lamps was needed as HID was not heating lamps like halogen and in colder climates did not melt snow (which halogen also did not when it was cold) and for low beam an automatic level regulator was needed on the lamps so light would not blind oncoming cars when trunk was loaded.

billede.thumb.png.dc50021453146f732e3b0e453add585a.png

• 3 weeks later...

Well I purchased the Osram Nightbreaker Laser 150% H11 for £26.99 a pair, from Powerbulbs website. Delivered in 3 days. Fitted them in around 20mins ish!

Seem so far a whiter light than the bulbs that came with the car. The reach of the beam seems visibly longer too. Need to take out on a country lane to really test.

I enquired at my local Lexus Birmingham and they quoted £18.49 each for replacement H11 bulbs. They didn't mention fitting. My guess from past experience maybe they may fit for free!

Lets see how long these new bulbs last..

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2022 at 12:54 PM, elmexicano said:

I went to Halfords and changed both front lights 

I'd say that was the problem to start with.  On two occasions I've had Halfords fit my Osrams they've lasted about 3 months.  What I've found in hindsight is that both fitters handled the bulbs with bare (and probably greasy/dirty) hands.  A friend has suggested that the glass should never be touched or marked.  My trusty indy garage who I now use has suggested the same - he always puts on clean gloves, minimally handles the bulb and I've had no problems with bulbs going out early.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links