Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance

Just renewed insurance on my current car, a Kia Niro. Will then need to upgrade to my Lexus UK Takumi when I get it (May time) what sort of figure do you guys pay, I realise this will vary but I am a 'mature' driver, good record 9 years plus NCD.

Bill D.

I suggest you check some of the price comparison websites, that will give you a much better idea than what someone else pays. But I think in general prices are on the increase, possibly due to the new rule around new customers not getting a better deal.

I have been with Lexus Insurance (Aioi Nissay Dowa) since 2007. They are not the cheapest at £460 this year. (73, max NCD, clean licence) But the two main reasons are if the car is written off during the first year from new it is replaced with a new car and in the event of an accident it goes to a Lexus centre and genuine Lexus parts/panels are used. For me that’s worth a bit extra cost.

After spending over £40K you cannot insure it with Insure My Banger,co.uk and have it repaired by anybody.

• Like 2

I'm with Saga these days and have from time to time looked at alternatives BUT it's clearly a minefield to know how to compare the varying " benefits and add-ons and downsides " of going with any specific insurer

They all seem to have nuances that it's difficult to £££ quantify  ....  the various quoted  base price just doesn't ever seem to offer a full story ............

Then there's the Claims Experience where some companies treat you like a dumbo and others with some sort of respect .....  on balance, for me these past few years ....... having experienced Claims handlers,  Saga seems " comforting " enough .........  if ever it can be parting with dosh

As we come out of covid and everyone is out and about doing more miles than the past two years we'll doubtless see some horror stories emerging with premiums 

Just renewing in these next few days .........  probably with Saga :unsure:

Malc

25 minutes ago, Malc said:

I'm with Saga these days and have from time to time looked at alternatives BUT it's clearly a minefield to know how to compare the varying " benefits and add-ons and downsides " of going with any specific insurer

They all seem to have nuances that it's difficult to £££ quantify  ....  the various quoted  base price just doesn't ever seem to offer a full story ............

Then there's the Claims Experience where some companies treat you like a dumbo and others with some sort of respect .....  on balance, for me these past few years ....... having experienced Claims handlers,  Saga seems " comforting " enough .........  if ever it can be parting with dosh

As we come out of covid and everyone is out and about doing more miles than the past two years we'll doubtless see some horror stories emerging with premiums 

Just renewing in these next few days .........  probably with Saga :unsure:

Malc

At the risk of you already knowing this Malc when I renewed in January I went via the Martin Lewis site, it came up with Tescos bank via confused. I then went through the reviews to satisfy myself that they are up to it. I then joined Topcashback and signed up via them - nett due £230. 04 for 5k miles 😎

Thanks for all the replies guys, dumped AA insurance, had a claim last year on holiday and their handling of it was abysmal, very frustrating and stressful not knowing what was going on, the repair place my car was taken to in contrast were absolutely brilliant (Cooper Barne in Cambs.)Not what you want when you are 200 miles from home. Of all people you would think the AA would know how to look after motorists wouldn't you.

Still having text messages off AA saying approval given for repair, 2 months after I had the car back!!!

So gone for Saga, their price for my forthcoming Lexus was reasonable although I accept that is now and could be a different story in May.

Oh, and insurance in my wifes name as main driver,seems strange really, better price for the same two drivers, insurance companies seem happy with that so what's not to like.

Bill D.

46 minutes ago, Bill Dawes said:

so what's not to like.

hope you never have to find out eh !

do have blissful and trouble free motoring to you and everyone ....  may your troubles be tiny and not involve any insurance claims

Malc

1 hour ago, Bill Dawes said:

Thanks for all the replies guys, dumped AA insurance, had a claim last year on holiday and their handling of it was abysmal, very frustrating and stressful not knowing what was going on, the repair place my car was taken to in contrast were absolutely brilliant (Cooper Barne in Cambs.)Not what you want when you are 200 miles from home. Of all people you would think the AA would know how to look after motorists wouldn't you.

Still having text messages off AA saying approval given for repair, 2 months after I had the car back!!!

So gone for Saga, their price for my forthcoming Lexus was reasonable although I accept that is now and could be a different story in May.

Oh, and insurance in my wifes name as main driver,seems strange really, better price for the same two drivers, insurance companies seem happy with that so what's not to like.

Bill D.

As long as she is the main driver 🤔

37-year-old, parked on driveway, paying about £400 for 10,000 miles a year including commuting. I suspect my age and relatively low number of years no-claims-bonus (4, I think - I didn't have a car for a while) hurt me, but I get discounts via IAM Surety for being a card-holding Advanced Motorist. What was interesting was that switching from a 3-year-old UX250h to a brand-new one made less than £11 difference; I guess they figure the risk profile isn't really any different!

Nick

OMG just renewed with Saga and a new free addition to the comprehensive cover is summat that might exceed the car's value .........

Key Cover £2/2.5k    wonder if they would write my car off if I dared to make a claim for a lost or damaged key :whistling:

Malc 

• 4 months later...

Just had my renewal quote from LV for my car insurance and pleased to say for myself and wife as named driver the cost for insurance and protected no claims insurance is the same as last year £227,although when you add the legal cover and hire car cover it takes it to just under £300,if anyone has tried hiring a car recently the prices have gone through the roof,we had a couple of weeks in Scotland and I reckon the prices have doubled!I know insurance quotes are never apples for apples but thought it might help some people.For reference I’m retired,car kept on drive and front/rear dashcam fitted,mileage capped at 5000.

On 6/28/2022 at 5:11 PM, Kissu said:

know insurance quotes are never apples for apples

that's what makes it simply impossible for anybody to make a sensible comparison methinks ........ whatever their car and situation may be ......  and I've been driving almost since cars were invented, well, 55 years whatever and keeping my premiums down is a bit like guessing who what where the best value petrol might be found :whistling:

Malc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

i think Toyota/Lexus has ripped me off at £700 with a clean licence of 50 years. 

Maybe not as LV quoted me just shy of that.

Like you a clean license for decades, 8 years no claim’s, have other policy’s with them (non car) that attract a discount, ST16 post code, full comp, protected, legal add on.

I may try Toyota / Lexus myself as i never knew that was an option as “it may” be cheaper,  do you have a link to them.

57 minutes ago, VFR said:

Maybe not as LV quoted me just shy of that.

Like you a clean license for decades, 8 years no claim’s, have other policy’s with them (non car) that attract a discount, ST16 post code, full comp, protected, legal add on.

I may try Toyota / Lexus myself as i never knew that was an option as “it may” be cheaper,  do you have a link to them.

Quotes: 0800 1383 200
Claims Helpline: 0344 243 8905
Windscreen Claims: 0345 125 4071
Customer Services: 0345 040 0451

• Like 1

Thanks for that fourbanks.

Tried the 0800 number (press 3 for quotes) and after waiting for about 15 minutes and enduring that dreadful music I gave up as if they take that long on a quote god knows how long it would be should you need them ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2022 at 4:14 PM, Malc said:

is a bit like guessing who what where the best value petrol might be found

yesterday God Bless'em ...  Motor & Home absolutely diligent brilliant service and very competitive quote too from someone working really really hard to get me into the fold with my existing Home/House insurance ...  by far the best and with Royal Sun as the " back stop " ...  on my @400 year old pad

NOW my Honda Legend car insurance due 1st August and Saga arrive at £447.18 fully comp etc .  all the bells and whistles .  So M&H beat this down to £426 .  bartering with Saga gets them down to £421 then i go for the jugular with Saga and they finally capitulate at £387.18 ..........  so I booked with them .  they have my Lexus insured too of course and want me to buy  ........  

Home Insce

Equity Release

Travel Insce

Health Insce  ..............  with no hope at all on any of the above i know

Ain't this all a dreadful pullava eh !  blooooody hour on the phone to save £60 ........... why oh why could'nt the price have been more sensible at their first shot

I detest this annual ( twice ) bother every time 

Malc

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VFR said:

Thanks for that fourbanks.

Tried the 0800 number (press 3 for quotes) and after waiting for about 15 minutes and enduring that dreadful music I gave up as if they take that long on a quote god knows how long it would be should you need them ?

The service is very poor and unlikely to get better

Had my UX just a week now, had the usual tempory cover off Lexus and then swopped my Saga over from Kia Niro to Lexus UX, paid about £260 for Kia, extra £33 for Lexus.

Forgot to mention dashcam so might go back and see if they offer any discount, this is through Saga.

Always found manufacturers offer are silly prices (silly high)

Bill D.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links