Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can you answer this question please?

Hi, I have the IS250 2005 with a full custom exhaust. Does anyone know if I can make the exhaust pop/bang? I have done it a few times but have no sure fire way of doing it(pardon the slight pun not intended).

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by twin2urbo85
Mispelled word.

4 hours ago, twin2urbo85 said:

Hi, I have the IS250 2005 with a full custom exhaust. Does anyone know if I can make the exhaust pop/bang? I have done it a few times but have no sure fire way of doing it(pardon the slight pun not intended).

Thanks in advance. 

Not something I’ve tried in my Lexus, but it used to happen in my first car - a Ford Anglia - when I was lad.  It occurred when lifting off suddenly after hard acceleration.  Or when momentarily switching the ignition off and on.  Either method allowed unburnt fuel to escape past worn exhaust valves to then ignite in the exhaust pipe.

If the driver was lucky, it resulted in loud bangs that shocked pedestrians.

If the pedestrians were lucky, it resulted in loud bangs that blew the exhaust system, shocked the driver and took the car off the road.

So a win/win situation, I’d say.

• Haha 3

If you are lucky then the ‘loud pop & bang’ will come out of the End of the exhaust like what you are trying to achieve! But back along I worked for EuroDollar RentAcar and in a Vauxhall Nova you could achieve this buy turning off ignition momentarily and back on again while you are moving and it would produce the loudest backfire ( try not to turn key too far off to engage steering Lock!!!) this worked 9 times out of 10 but could ( and did) rip the exhaust wide open mid way ( a bit like that dog in the Film ‘The Thing’ 😂

So if you want this unLexus like characteristic then I think you might need to get a Scooby or Mitzi!!

9 hours ago, twin2urbo85 said:

Thanks in advance. 

Generally... you can't on IS250. Pops and bangs are happening when engine isn't running great and there is unburnt fuel in the exhaust pipes, which never happens in any normal modern car. The they it is achieved generally are via changes in ECU which squirts some extra fuel on overrun... but IS250 ECU is locked, so won't be able to do this. 

Maybe for the better... when this happens on some exotic race car... that is cool. When it happens on aging Japanese luxury car - it is rice! And nobody wants to be ricer!

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes I do like to do an F-U to the people that stare cos it is quite loud lol.

I have a full stainless steel exhaust so not too worried about blowing a hole through it lol.

I was just curious as to whether my Lexy could do it.

6 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Generally... you can't on IS250. Pops and bangs are happening when engine isn't running great and there is unburnt fuel in the exhaust pipes, which never happens in any normal modern car. The they it is achieved generally are via changes in ECU which squirts some extra fuel on overrun... but IS250 ECU is locked, so won't be able to do this. 

Maybe for the better... when this happens on some exotic race car... that is cool. When it happens on aging Japanese luxury car - it is rice! And nobody wants to be ricer!

So can I get a remap done on my ECU if it's locked?

I don't know why you got the is250 if you want to ***** about with it. The is250 is NOT the car to ***** about with. Sell it and get sommat more suitable. You seem worse than the yanks who muck up their is250/is350 cars. Don't mean to insult you but to give you good advice. 

• Like 1

Well not the engine anyway, as it is NA and pretty ‘tamperproof’ regarding ‘mapping’ but cosmetically you can fill yer boots and blow the budget all day long…..see here

I'm unsure if the US market has the same ECU as the UK market but i see a few remap's online you can send them out a copy of your current car's map, they will adjust it to the "pop/bang" map and send you a device you plug in to your ECU, press a button and wait for a few minutes to flash the new map.  
The problem is the pop/bang you're looking for is produced by over fueling while the accelerator pedal has been lifted to send unburnt fuel in to the exhaust to ignite there. On the Lexus you need to blip the throttle after a hard rev to make it "pop/bang" as the injectors turn off so the new map just adjusts the timing to the very last nanosecond.  

Do with it as you will but just a reminder the cats on your exhaust manifold and under the car will hate you for it, you WILL get a CEL on the dash and all of your cats will very quickly melt and fire molten cash out the back. Not only this but EVERYONE will hate you after the 3rd time you show off your new expensive remap that lowers your mpg by another 10mpg.  

I was once a little **** tinkering with cars (still am) but now i tend to stray on the side of subtleness for a few reasons.  

1: You don't get pulled by the cops so can get away with flashy number plates  

2: You don't get the entire town posting about you on Facebook making the police hunt you down to revoke your licence or take away your pride and joy  

To be fair i don't think "this" forum is the place for the "Boy racer" type of content as you can see from the comments people are hanging on to the good ol Rover days :) This place is great for repairs, info and general Lexus love not abuse.

• Like 4

IIRC the average age of a Lexus Owner is 50 Years, A Merc Owner 40 Years & a BMW owner 30 years!  Says it all really, that the older you get the wiser you get and that Lexus owners are quite sensible!

Not necessarily. There are older folk who act like they're 30 years younger. I'm one of them and happy that I am. Also I'm not the only one. On the back of that there are 20 year olds who act like they're much much older. An age segment can't be categorised because of individualism. Blimey where did them big words come from? 😳 

1 hour ago, Texas said:

IIRC the average age of a Lexus Owner is 50 Years, A Merc Owner 40 Years & a BMW owner 30 years!  Says it all really, that the older you get the wiser you get and that Lexus owners are quite sensible!

"The older you get, the more quiet you become. Life humbles you so deeply as you age. You realize how much nonsense you’ve waste time on.” Anonymous

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

I think that's called impatient eh Steve? 🤣

My epitaph could read “ Here lies Steve who passed peacefully away while patiently sat in his car sat at a red traffic light”

18 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

My epitaph could read “ Here lies Steve who passed peacefully away while patiently sat in his car sat at a red traffic light”

That's got the basis of a cracking topic Steve. 😁

I'm pretty surprised that Lexus' are hard to remap, would have thought with toyota being such a big seller, especially in US it would have been pretty commonly done. I was thinking that since have to use E5 now, that a remap to make the best of it could almost be justified.

Was very tempted to get a remap on my MGTF, which was pretty much offered by a single company as Rover/MG used their own system and obviously much lower sales figures than Toyota/Lexus.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links