Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

White dust from AC on dashboard. Any solution?

400hfan

Hi everyone, I have recently purchased an RX400H 07 plate 88k from a private car dealer. The dashboard routinely gets covered in white dust from AC vents. I've read loads of posts on cause being "evaporator core" and that the contamination is harmful. Does anyone know for sure the cause? and solution? Also at 88k is there any mileage warranty claim still in force for a 3rd owner? Thanks guys any help much appreciated.

Edited by ColinBarber
removed whitespace at end of post

How recently was this purchased? You have 6mths Warranty from any dealer

And what's with the huge gap under the text in your post? Did you try and post images?

• Like 3

Denis, if you have bought within the last 6 months it is for the DEALER TO RESOLVE AT HIS COST.

Give him one chance and if he cannot or refuses, then ask for your money back. (Do all in writing/email for evidential purposes.)

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/how-to-reject-a-car-your-consumer-rights/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still wondering Does anybody know what is known to be the cause and the solution?

Also Wondering if anyone knows if Lexus acknowledged this issue as it is an issue across the toyota range from new, and whether a mileage warranty covers it for resold vehicles?

Did you read any of the replies above?

Possible cabin filter breaking up..

Possibility of getting the seller to investigate and sort it out.. Not mileage related but time restricted..

This is the first post on the subject so, no not an issue across the Toyota (or even the Lexus) range.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeh I read them thanks but those who responded, including you, clearly hadnt read my post, as theres been no attempt to answer the actual questions i asked.

For the record I happen to love my Lexus but the internet is totally awash with this issue with Toyota/ Lexus so Im not making it up,  so best you do your research next time b4 dismissing peoples posts,,,, like your some self-appointed ill-informed toyota police?.

21 minutes ago, 400hfan said:

For the record I happen to love my Lexus but the internet is totally awash with this issue with Toyota/ Lexus so Im not making it up,

I'm not doubting you in the slightest.

So, to educate us here in this backwater, why not post up some links to what you have found in your search on the internet?

• Haha 1

Den I’ve just done a search and found multiple articles regarding the condenser breaking up on as you mention Toyota and Lexus vehicles in the USA but this is the first time I have heard of this problem and it would appear also many members of this club.

There are no prior posts related to this.

The only possible remaining warranty on your RX400h may be for the hybrid Battery pack provided it has been subjected to an annual health check performed by Lexus but even so it may be worth a call to your local dealer who may have had previous claims for the same problem and may offer a discounted repair.

This is an owners’ club with no affiliation to Lexus GB or worldwide so unaware of any Lexus claims procedures.

I also had a look at Toyota/Lexus TSBs for any related information but failed to find any

https://www.tsbsearch.com/Lexus

The only way to confirm it is the condenser is to check it visually but even this is a major dash out job and the associated costs involved with both parts and labour.

You were also advised if the car was purchased from a motor dealer in the last 6 months that you may have a claim under the Consumer Rights Act to have this problem repaired at the dealer’s expense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 400hfan said:

Also at 88k is there any mileage warranty claim still in force for a 3rd owner?

No there is not. Standard warranty is 3 year/60k miles.

The new Lexus Relax extended warranty you get when your vehicle is serviced by an authorised Lexus dealer only covers vehicles up to 10 years old.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 400hfan said:

Also Wondering if anyone knows if Lexus acknowledged this issue as it is an issue across the toyota range from new, and whether a mileage warranty covers it for resold vehicles?

There is no TSB for this issue in the UK, there is no warranty/recall.

I've never seen a single post on these forums for this issue, across any Lexus model in the UK. So I wonder if it is mainly related only to vehicles made in North America rather than Japan with a different parts supplier. Or it mainly occurs in hot climate countries.

Potentially your vehicle has had a replacement evaporator installed which wasn't a genuine part and is breaking down. Whatever the reason it seems the only solution is to get it replaced, but the airways will be contaminated so you are likely to still get dust for a prolonged period afterwards.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I have seen a few Lexus Ct200h's for sale on Autotrader, which do seem to have a lot of white dust/particles in the cabins spread across the seats, steering wheel and so on. The particles are whiter than the dust and pretty round.

2016 Red Lexus CT Hatchback 200h 1.8 F-Sport 5dr CVT Auto for sale for £15,834 (autotrader.co.uk)

2015 Multicolour Lexus CT Hatchback 200h 1.8 Advance Plus 5dr CVT Auto for sale for £15,226 (autotrader.co.uk)

2016 Silver Lexus CT 200h 1.8 Luxury CVT Euro 6 (s/s) 5dr for sale for £15,990 in Chester, Cheshire (autotrader.co.uk)

Have a careful look through the pictures of the 3 cars I listed. They all seem to have the white powder/particles in the cabin. This is probably a thing in the UK.

Some say it is calcium carbonate, and some say it is aluminium oxide. 

I have seen a few Lexus Ct200h's for sale on Autotrader, which do seem to have a lot of white dust/particles in the cabins spread across the seats, steering wheel and so on. The particles are whiter than the dust and pretty round.

2016 Red Lexus CT Hatchback 200h 1.8 F-Sport 5dr CVT Auto for sale for £15,834 (autotrader.co.uk)

2015 Multicolour Lexus CT Hatchback 200h 1.8 Advance Plus 5dr CVT Auto for sale for £15,226 (autotrader.co.uk)

2016 Silver Lexus CT 200h 1.8 Luxury CVT Euro 6 (s/s) 5dr for sale for £15,990 in Chester, Cheshire (autotrader.co.uk)

Have a careful look through the pictures of the 3 cars I listed. They all seem to have the white powder/particles in the cabin. This is probably a thing in the UK.

It also seems to affect other car manufacturers, and many cars out there with this problem need their evaporators changed for a cost or under warranty.

There are a few members on the Toyota Owners Club forum who had this problem as well. My partner's Toyota Yaris 2014 Hybrid has this issue, and I am trying to get Toyota to look at it as it is still under warranty. 

p.s Sorry for the triple post above. 

On 3/2/2022 at 9:36 AM, 400hfan said:

The dashboard routinely gets covered in white dust from AC vents

it's dandruff. Boris Johnson's car was full of it.

2 hours ago, GrumpyCat said:

Could the white dust be from the deployed airbags if it's been in an accident?

No, it's dandruff. If you are bald then it probably isn't dandruff. A guy came to our door yesterday. My son answered the door and shouted to us" There's a man at the door with a bald head". I shouted back " Tell him I've already got one".

On 1/29/2024 at 4:11 PM, GrumpyCat said:

Could the white dust be from the deployed airbags if it's been in an accident?

It is unlikely that this is the cause. Going through the Toyota Owners Club forum, I haven't noticed any members mentioning this.

That applies to other members from different forums who mentioned that their BMWs and other cars suffer from the same issue. Perhaps it is not so common on Lexus, but it did happen, and I was wondering if it is still happening.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links