Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus RZ revealed

42 minutes ago, John Adams said:

So Lexus Exeter are giving different stories to different customers. Interesting.

I suspect that Exeter want to secure an order and then will drip feed the delays next year in the hope by then you would keep with the order as competitors will still be saying 6 months from new order. 

I have read somewhere that the wheel issue with the Toyota (same as RZ) is delaying production so that may well be impacting the RZ,  hence some dealers being straight and realistically saying last quarter next year. 

7 minutes ago, wivenhoe said:

I suspect that Exeter want to secure an order and then will drip feed the delays next year in the hope by then you would keep with the order as competitors will still be saying 6 months from new order. 

I have read somewhere that the wheel issue with the Toyota (same as RZ) is delaying production so that may well be impacting the RZ,  hence some dealers being straight and realistically saying last quarter next year. 

I suspect you are right but still a bit iffy to me. By the way what is the wheel issue? I must have missed that

I thought the “wheel issue” was just a not installed correctly ie not enough torque on the wheels nuts/bolts on the line.

If it’s more than that then it could be much more serious and makes the delays make more sense, I wonder if we will ever find out exactly?

If it’s something as simple as mismatched bolt threads hubs etc that would be very embarrassing.

All I can find presently

• Spokesperson for Toyota says recall is for “all bZ4X vehicles in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. Approximately, 2,700 vehicles are involved in this action.”
  • The recall relates to the vehicle’s wheels. Toyota says owners of the vehicle will be notified through a variety of channels. 
  • “After low-mileage use, all of the hub bolts on the wheel of the subject vehicles can loosen to the point where the wheel can detach from the vehicle,” spokesperson says.

This US website indicates it’s not a simple issue to resolve and production of the Toyota has ceased and no resumption date been indicated. Perhaps Lexus are being pessimistic in some dealers saying deliveries next year but maybe not. 

https://www.electrifying.com/blog/article/toyota-offers-buy-back-option-for-american-drivers-who-bought-recalled-bz4x-suv

I said in an earlier post that the delay to the RZ meant my family member was having to cancel and buy something else, as September is just too late. A proper look and test drives of the Korean offerings today was very revealing.

They’re very nice cars. Nice but not great. The lack of a rear wiper on the Hyundai IONIC5 is ridiculous, but the drive is very good. But here’s the thing. We’re spoiled by owning a Lexus - or in my relative’s case, a Range Rover.

The dealers today were laughable. Chaotic, with booked test drives unavailable (although they did make it happen) but my favourite was being referred to a ‘finance manager’ who couldn’t have been less interested; “…I can’t help you, you just need to get a quote online” because she was too busy speaking to a friend while eating Pringles! In a dealership, with members of the public around. Really! I’m pretty sure Hyundai UK would have been mortified…well, you’d hope so. 

Sorry to say, but the quality just isn’t there. It’s not bad, but it really is a significant step down from Lexus or other premium brands. The dealer ambience was Aldi rather than Waitrose - and not in a positive way. It was a real eye opener. I personally couldn’t drop to a KIA or a Hyundai based on today, as the quality of finish and service would be too much of a compromise.

Onto Volvo and the C40 Recharge next. I’m pretty sure that will be the winner, with the Mercedes being too small in the rear seats and Tesla having  ‘image’ problems now, along with poor quality based on what we’ve seen. Look at a used example with 20-30k miles and it’s really not good…

• Like 1

You are right Ed about being spoiled by Lexus quality.

Whilst I love my Stinger, the interior fit and finish is bad.  You would not believe the number of squeaks and rattles my 2 and a half month old car has!  No comparison to my previous GS.

Having said that, the mechanics, materials, technology and - subjectively - the looks are certainly on par, if not superior, to the Lexus.

Also, if you can get yourself over to Waylands Kia in Reading, I have received excellent service from them until now, which is why we have a new Kia Niro EV on order with them at the moment!  I sat inside an EV6 the other day whilst waiting for the Niro and was very impressed by the interior.  I have the Sales Manager's mobile number, so let me know if you want me to arrange something for you 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Shahpor

I think he’d looked at the EV6 and wasn’t that impressed, which is why he chose to drive the Hyundai instead. Personally I much prefer the design of the Hyundai.

TBH the cancellation of the RZ is a pain, but he’s decided to get something on a two year lease and will plan to come back to it (hopefully). With a budget that could go to £100k the Korean offerings were always going to be the value option - and we were mightily  impressed with the car for the price.

Ultimately he’ll need to decide what he can live with for a period as well as what he can actually get for March when his current lease ends. That’s why he’s willing to look at lots of quite different options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

Thanks @Shahpor

I think he’d looked at the EV6 and wasn’t that impressed, which is why he chose to drive the Hyundai instead. Personally I much prefer the design of the Hyundai.

TBH the cancellation of the RZ is a pain, but he’s decided to get something on a two year lease and will plan to come back to it (hopefully). With a budget that could go to £100k the Korean offerings were always going to be the value option - and we were mightily  impressed with the car for the price.

Ultimately he’ll need to decide what he can live with for a period as well as what he can actually get for March when his current lease ends. That’s why he’s willing to look at lots of quite different options.

Ed, has your family member not thought of a hybrid ? Whilst waiting for my RZ. I have bought my local dealer’s Demo Range Rover Evoque P300e. I had an Evoque in 2012. It’s a great car… I have a home charger and will probably not have to fill it with petrol very often… If your family member does frequent long trips perhaps a Hybrid isn’t what he wants… I see on the net that there are 76 P300e's for sale. Which surprised me…!

1 hour ago, Kevin Williams said:

Ed, has your family member not thought of a hybrid ? Whilst waiting for my RZ. I have bought my local dealer’s Demo Range Rover Evoque P300e. I had an Evoque in 2012. It’s a great car… I have a home charger and will probably not have to fill it with petrol very often… If your family member does frequent long trips perhaps a Hybrid isn’t what he wants… I see on the net that there are 76 P300e's for sale. Which surprised me…!

He runs his own business. From a tax perspective only an EV will deliver what is needed.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

He runs his own business. From a tax perspective only an EV will deliver what is needed.

I bought 3 PHEV’s as company cars in my own Limited company. They were treated the same as EV’s for Corporation Tax - the whole purchase cost was offset against Corp Tax in the first year. Currently say £72k x 19% = £ 14k.

The personal tax for a PHEV is more than than a EV - also dependant on the electric range. A £ 72k EV is a taxable amount of £ 1,400 a PHEV with 60 miles range (say BMW 545e) is £ 5.7k and with a 33 mile range (Range Rover Velar P400e) £8.6k. Worse case is say £ 7k x 40% = £2.8k a year. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

I bought 3 PHEV’s as company cars in my own Limited company. They were treated the same as EV’s for Corporation Tax - the whole purchase cost was offset against Corp Tax in the first year. Currently say £72k x 19% = £ 14k.

The personal tax for a PHEV is more than than a EV - also dependant on the electric range. A £ 72k EV is a taxable amount of £ 1,400 a PHEV with 60 miles range (say BMW 545e) is £ 5.7k and with a 33 mile range (Range Rover Velar P400e) £8.6k. Worse case is say £ 7k x 40% = £2.8k a year. 

Thanks. I don’t understand the tax implications - fortunately I don’t need to - but he only wants an EV. They’ll have another new hybrid as well as a couple of other cars to use, so an EV makes sense all round.

Interesting…! Two new recent YouTubes. I8th and 19th Aug. Both say that deliveries in the United States will be in late 2022…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CneXLOVWG_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbeOuaRp_UU

This 17th Aug YouTube is very good…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPFfNLPv6J8

Interesting YouTube review by Thomas of CarsofGlasgow. Thomas is a 28-Year-Old Scottish Car Enthusiast with a Masters in Engineering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lSUs63yHgo

I wonder what Lexus Dealer told him some of the cars will be delivered in November this year…! I think I will message him and ask. I might cancel my order and place it with the dealer that can get me one in 2022…! Has anybody got any updates regarding delivery of their RZ’s…?

43 minutes ago, Kevin Williams said:

Interesting YouTube review by Thomas of CarsofGlasgow. Thomas is a 28-Year-Old Scottish Car Enthusiast with a Masters in Engineering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lSUs63yHgo

I wonder what Lexus Dealer told him some of the cars will be delivered in November this year…! I think I will message him and ask. I might cancel my order and place it with the dealer that can get me one in 2022…! Has anybody got any updates regarding delivery of their RZ’s…?

When I placed my order in May, I was told delivery would be in the first quarter of 2023. When I spoke to my dealer last week, he told me production was delayed until November this year with first customer cars to be delivered by June 23.  There is no way anyone will get one this year if productions only starts in November

I took a look at the Korean BEVs and was not impressed with the materials and ambiance but their technology is well advanced.  I did prefer the Skoda Enyaq for style and interior although to get it to the Sportsline model it is ridiculously expensive for what it is and charging with electricity is showing increasingly less advantage over petrol the way the price of electricity is increasing making the purchase of BEVs a brave choice at present.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

I took a look at the Korean BEVs and was not impressed with the materials and ambiance but their technology is well advanced.  I did prefer the Skoda Enyaq for style and interior although to get it to the Sportsline model it is ridiculously expensive for what it is and charging with electricity is showing increasingly less advantage over petrol the way the price of electricity is increasing making the purchase of BEVs a brave choice at present.  

I have read a number of reports where capped electric tariffs will soon have off-peak rates significantly less than the capped rate - let’s hope so. 
At the current capped rate of 52p / Kw x say 70kw = £ 36.40 for say 200 miles = 18p / mile. Petrol say £ 1.90 / litre at say 35 mpg = 25p / mile.  If they don’t introduce off-peak tariffs then EV’s will probably be more expensive to run than petrol from next Jan. That’ll do the government push for more EV’s a world of good !

13 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

I have read a number of reports where capped electric tariffs will soon have off-peak rates significantly less than the capped rate - let’s hope so. 
At the current capped rate of 52p / Kw x say 70kw = £ 36.40 for say 200 miles = 18p / mile. Petrol say £ 1.90 / litre at say 35 mpg = 25p / mile.  If they don’t introduce off-peak tariffs then EV’s will probably be more expensive to run than petrol from next Jan. That’ll do the government push for more EV’s a world of good !

There have always been lower tariff packages for EV drivers, although they are rising a bit now but still useful if you do a lot of driving (use the KWh) otherwise the much higher tariff during daytime use (the dual rate tariffs always have a higher daytime rate than normal rates) for general household use can negate the cheaper night rate, it’s a balancing act you have to determine for yourself.

Although this is assuming people buy their EV for the cheaper running, I have found most* buy them because they like the way an EV drives as the primary reason for purchase.

*private purchases, a lot buy them for company use just for the BIK advantage of an EV, although I bet a lot of those companies are just set up for tax advantages for other expenses as well.

EON doesn’t offer cut price tariffs for EV’s so there is no advantage in charging overnight (my charger and car can set charge times). Hopefully they will introduce them - I am fortunately on a fixed price tariff until Dec (£ 0.18 / kWh ) so charging my PHEV Range Rover Velar saves a fortune compared to petrol. 

Octopus Energy are currently offering drivers of EV's a tariff that is 7.5p/kWh between 00:30 - 04:30.

https://octopus.energy/go/

The flip side is it is more expensive at other times.  Still, for people that use their EV's heavily, it would be a good saving.

It does require a smart meter though, which I am reluctant to get, so not sure I am going to use it once my EV arrives.

14 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

It's quite easy to envisage that in the New Year peak electricity domestic cap per Kwh will exceed £1. 00 🤯. However business does not have such a cap so what commercial charging points will cost for EV's is anyone's guess. 

2 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

EON doesn’t offer cut price tariffs for EV’s so there is no advantage in charging overnight (my charger and car can set charge times). Hopefully they will introduce them - I am fortunately on a fixed price tariff until Dec (£ 0.18 / kWh ) so charging my PHEV Range Rover Velar saves a fortune compared to petrol. 

No, Eon doesn’t and unfortunately plenty of others don’t either, just a few do but if your a heavy EV user it might be worth changing supplier if the higher daytime rate doesn’t tip the balance.

17 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

It's clear Bob, we're all moving to a time of use model TOU, this is to nudge us into changing our behaviour until then Octopus Go /Intelligent is well worth a look at. Should you or anyone else to switch then use this referral link to get £50 off both your bill and mine 👍

https://click.octopus.energy/ls/click?upn=gNLZ5SZnEeorylHeEBCuPIL9dwpaplFa63JmtwMgUXbKfHqs9yjj5JzmvyFUsJXyK-2F8K-2B8BOSaRnQwjWFTcN-2Bt6n1DWeOuqFBKHeWFVfA9SlQx5MapmEnOYwFjg-2FzS-2Bj7G1YK46xaX9i-2FVbWPxgjzIo2aQePUuiDnhIYpv8OtUtFiRb4UZjC6Q1Q-2BO5-2BW6N7uTk7pQe4F88DwRF24o-2FOmQ-3D-3DAsvO_-2FBEo8nVUdY3JTsge5gB8xZ7nWBP50t89-2BLHKOa-2FhhkUcQy3uHcZQNkFt5anYhTX3hH2ItuEhFTg80LSewxhMJGZsY-2FxMWIfibTFPynPdI1LGh-2B0YIfwBDv-2Bfdhj340dvgAxMCIXA-2BXegfR0uhd6TAikyDLv49HM-2FiSiig6M3hmdFLFiW1KZfvUeDEOdEZGsqQnvi7NtwB2gcM8YGQ13vI5cEgKPcAt7r4ekRd3YqZRGJeRqxF5IbtNaG3-2B89Z-2FhoIC7jGmDKgMcXBXaUcmrN6ibZzEw7VszprnJsK4no2Qchnx-2F03EKmkieG-2BR-2FbEMj9

On 8/16/2022 at 7:31 PM, Kevin Williams said:

I completed the online pre-order for an RZ yesterday evening. I received an email from my preferred Lexus Dealer at 22.14. Obviously an automatic email. I arranged a phone call for 10.00am this morning. The sales guy answered my questions without any difficulties. I paid the £500 and I was advised it should arrive in March 2023. I am happy to wait until then. I have had several electric cars. I think the Lexus RZ will be a great car. Reading some of these posts many people think the same. Range isn’t a problem with me, its quality and personal choice that is more important. I drive only a little because of a serious accident. Some weeks recently I have cycled more miles on my Gocycle…! The best car I have owned was an LS 400 in 2001. I have recently owned two LC 500’s. A Coupe and a Convertible. I also had an SC430 in 2001. It’s a long wait but I look forward to owning an RZ. Being completely honest I was thinking of buying a Taycan Cross Turismo. The Taycan 4S that I have previously owned was good, but expensive, being in my garage too much…! I think the RZ will be a better car for me.

When my builders empty my side garage. I will be buying an LS 400 to drive occasionally.

I recently endeavoured to buy a Genesis GV60 Sport. I thought Genesis might be the luxury brand for Hyundai, as Lexus is for Toyota. I also thought having a Genesis Personal Assistant would be good for me… How wrong I was… I received a personal email from the MD of Genesis UK apologising for their failings…

Forum’s, are for people to tell the truth…!

Screenshot 2022-08-14 at 13.00.36.png

MY23 NG RZ Colours and interior[1].pdf 613.41 kB · 19 downloads

I love the range of vehicles that you have owned! My personal dream car is a LC 500!!

I used to own a SC 430 too and it was a great car (wafting about in it).

8 hours ago, Boxbrownie said:

Although this is assuming people buy their EV for the cheaper running, I have found most* buy them because they like the way an EV drives as the primary reason for purchase.

Interesting. I know four people who own EVs (and one who will own one Q1 next year) as well as one who switched and has since switched back due to range and charging inconvenience (although that was with a Jaguar iPace which most websites say is rubbish!).

I can say with certainty that all of them switched entirely because of cost…and the fact they were due to change and wanted to ‘future proof’ their vehicle for travel into cities/large towns.

Not one of them has ever mentioned either environmental concerns or the driving experience. I would add that none of them are what I’d call ‘petrol heads’ or even people who like driving. They just want to get from point a to point b as painlessly as possible (as most of us do).

Personally I found the EV driving experience fun at first - the acceleration is hilarious - but then pretty much the same as any other.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links