Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Run Flat Tyres

18 minutes ago, Bill Dawes said:

My new UX has of course got run flat and I was a bit worried reading this thread a while ago, having now had a few months running I am quite relieved they do not seem any worse than other tyres,

That's encouraging, what make and model of tyres are fitted to your UX?

I had a quick look at a tyre website and the Pirellis (70dB) as fitted to my UX are £215 whilst Hankooks are £135 (67dB). Based on the previous post Pirellis are twice as noisy as Hankooks. Perhaps showing my age but is there a problem mixing different brands of tyre? 

When I first had a brief drive in the new NX350h last year the dealer asked what I thought about the run-flats (Bridgestones).  The question took me by surprise since tbh I hadn’t noticed what type of tyres they were, and had therefore taken for granted they were normal ones.  So, having found the ride more than acceptable - firm yet comfortable in all modes - I could only conclude that I either lack sufficient expertise to offer a viable opinion or that the criticisms of runflats I had frequently heard were unjust.  Which does not mean I would risk them as a choice for my RC, since I suspect they would possibly accentuate what is already a firm ride in S and S+ modes. 

19 hours ago, Gorb said:

I had a quick look at a tyre website and the Pirellis (70dB) as fitted to my UX are £215 whilst Hankooks are £135 (67dB). Based on the previous post Pirellis are twice as noisy as Hankooks. Perhaps showing my age but is there a problem mixing different brands of tyre? 

According to my tyre dealer there are no problems as long as on each axel there is a pair of identical (same brand and same model) tyres. IE (only for example): on the front axel a pair of Hankooks and on the rear axel a pair of Pirellis.

8 hours ago, gdamorini said:

According to my tyre dealer there are no problems as long as on each axel there is a pair of identical (same brand and same model) tyres. IE (only for example): on the front axel a pair of Hankooks and on the rear axel a pair of Pirellis.

I think it’s a little more nuanced than that.

After all, if different axles have tyres of different tread patterns and composition, then they will react differently under the same driving conditions.  Of course, you may never put yourself in a position to discover this.  But no-one plans an accident.

I think this article from Continental details the general recommendations.

https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/b2c/tyre-knowledge/mixing-tyres.html

Looks like the article agrees that it is OK to put the same brand of tyre on the same axle. 

I doubt Lexus rotate the tyres as part of the service. I also envisage that your friendly tyre fitter would want to balance and align the tyres at the same time as they are rotated.

15 hours ago, Gorb said:

Looks like the article agrees that it is OK to put the same brand of tyre on the same axle. 

It's not ok just to put the same brand on the same axle, it needs to be the same model of tyre so the tread pattern and compound are the same.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

It's not ok just to put the same brand on the same axle, it needs to be the same model of tyre so the tread pattern and compound are the same.

Exactly what i wrote. Same brand and same model of tyre on each axle.

And all wheels with the technical indexes prescribed by the car manufacturer.

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2022 at 5:38 PM, Gorb said:

I doubt Lexus rotate the tyres as part of the service. I also envisage that your friendly tyre fitter would want to balance and align the tyres at the same time as they are rotated.

Just had my service it needed wheel alignment. So I asked them to rotate tires while wheels were off. Your right its not included.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ALAW said:

Just had my service it needed wheel alignment. So I asked them to rotate tires while wheels were off. Your right its not included.

How much were you charged? Isn’t there a lot of labour with the TPMS?

12 hours ago, KingHal said:

How much were you charged? Isn’t there a lot of labour with the TPMS?

The wheels were off for the alignment check so they did it FOC. The service cost with the alignment check extra came to around £500 i think the alignment was £79

8 hours ago, ALAW said:

The wheels were off for the alignment check so they did it FOC. The service cost with the alignment check extra came to around £500 i think the alignment was £79

Thanks. 

8 hours ago, ALAW said:

Back in the days when I used to mess around with my cars (Ford Anglias, Cortinas, etc) toe-in and camber alignment checks were done with wheels on the car and the car sitting, settled on the suspension. After any adjustment you had to roll the car and bounce the suspension to settle it before checking again. I was only checking the front wheel alignment because the cars I had back then didn't have independent rear suspension. But the four wheel alignment gauges I've seen more recently in tyre places also work with the wheels on the car.

I wondered if Lexus have a different system but the only info I've found online all show alignment checks being done with the car on the ground with wheels on.

Wheel balancing is done with the wheels off so maybe this is when they were rotated?

Haven't got my UX yet, but with my current car (Merc C Class) the TPMS sensors are coded to the position of the wheels on the car so they wouldn't rotate the wheels when I asked. A bit of a pain because Mercs have a habit of wearing front tyres unevenly. Another reason why I'm really looking forward to getting back into the Lexus fold.

13 hours ago, Roger Bill said:

Back in the days when I used to mess around with my cars (Ford Anglias, Cortinas, etc) toe-in and camber alignment checks were done with wheels on the car and the car sitting, settled on the suspension. After any adjustment you had to roll the car and bounce the suspension to settle it before checking again. I was only checking the front wheel alignment because the cars I had back then didn't have independent rear suspension. But the four wheel alignment gauges I've seen more recently in tyre places also work with the wheels on the car.

I wondered if Lexus have a different system but the only info I've found online all show alignment checks being done with the car on the ground with wheels on.

Wheel balancing is done with the wheels off so maybe this is when they were rotated?

Haven't got my UX yet, but with my current car (Merc C Class) the TPMS sensors are coded to the position of the wheels on the car so they wouldn't rotate the wheels when I asked. A bit of a pain because Mercs have a habit of wearing front tyres unevenly. Another reason why I'm really looking forward to getting back into the Lexus fold.

Roger this what you describe is exactly what I thought. I can only think they must have had the wheels off checking brakes. I will be honest I didn't look at the tires before or mark them either to see if they had actually rotated them. What I did do is photograph fluid levels and they appeared exactly as they were when i took it in. So there is every reason to think  I may have been had. There was no pulling to one side or uneven tire wear either. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 7:36 PM, Bill Dawes said:

My forthcoming UX Takumi will have run flat, anyone had a new UX recently with run flats and how are you getting on.

Bill D.

Hiya, my UX F sport MY23 picked up late November has Bridgestone Alenza 011 RFT & so far so good. I haven't thought OMG tyre noise is terrible ! in fact perhaps quieter than my previous car a Subaru Impreza on Bridgestone Turanza  but the Subaru symmetrical AWD (power to all wheels at all times) probably makes for more noise anyway. Also not missing the AWD yet

You would if you had driven a UX with 17 inch "normal" tyres. As I said in a previous post, I would never specify run flats on any car and it was a surprise when I got the car with the 18 inch run flats as a freebie. In hindsight I should have made a fuss and got them to change them for 17 inch normals.

14 hours ago, Gorb said:

You would if you had driven a UX with 17 inch "normal" tyres. As I said in a previous post, I would never specify run flats on any car and it was a surprise when I got the car with the 18 inch run flats as a freebie. In hindsight I should have made a fuss and got them to change them for 17 inch normals.

Although I've only had test drives in the 2022 and 2023 UX250h my impression was that the newer Bridgestone RFTs fitted to 2023 model plus the suspension tweaks and increased body stiffness result in a comparatively quieter and more comfortable ride. As it seemed perfectly acceptable compared with my Merc C Class which is fitted with air suspension and "normal" Continental tyres I ordered a UX 250h Takumi. I am quite fussy about choosing cars as I tend to keep them for a out seven years and they have to be comfortable for my aging back to withstand occasional six hour drives.

I had run flats on a BMW 15 years ago and I vowed never again, so when I heard that the 2022 NX is fitted with them I did a lot of research before plucking up the courage to order the car.

It was clear from my research that technology had improved over the years so after 2-3 months of dithering I took the plunge.

Now, after nearly 5 months of running the new NX I have been very pleasantly surprised. Comfort is similar to my previous RX and I would say that road noise, using the same roads, is actually lower.

No negatives about the tyres fitted to the NX from me at the moment.

• Like 1

Check out this video....

I've driven over 50m on a front run flat tyre that punctured due to hitting a pot hole without an issue. I wouldn't consider moving to a standard tyre as run flats protect you from blow outs, changing a wheel on a busy road, motorway or in a dodgy area...

The  question is, which runflats do people recommend for an F-Sport

• Like 1

When I bought my UX in September I test drove two cars at Lexus Swindon: a newer demonstrator but low spec followed by a 2020 Takumi model. Having been ‘spoilt’ by the luxury feel of our RX I was disappointed by the lack of features on the demonstrator, so we went instead for the Takumi AWD.  There was a noticeable difference in road noise between the two cars due presumably to the run flat tyres. I will probably replace with ‘normal’ tyres eventually. 

• 1 year later...

Iv'e just got a puncture on my UX and have lost just 6 bar, so not bad. The nail is quite big, so will leave in place till Monday and drive down to my dealer, hopefully for a replacement. Any idea of the cost of a new Dunlop fitted by the Lexus dealer

thanks 

It will be expensive,  i now have 4 x Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3 runflats on my UX f-sport, these cost £322 for two tyres (you should really have the same 2 tyres on the same axle)

These are quieter, grippier (in the dry and especially in the wet) and ard proven to be the cheapest cost based on mileage.

See

https://tyretradenews.co.uk/news/hankooks-ventus-s1-evo-3-wins-the-auto-express-2021-summer-tyre-test

See https://youtu.be/yqXQgBdqVqI

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Auto-Express-SUV-Tyre-Test.htm

Do your research, and plan accordingly 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UX250h said:

It will be expensive,  i now have 4 x Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3 runflats on my UX f-sport, these cost £322 for two tyres (you should really have the same 2 tyres on the same axle)

These are quieter, grippier (in the dry and especially in the wet) and ard proven to be the cheapest cost based on mileage.

See

https://tyretradenews.co.uk/news/hankooks-ventus-s1-evo-3-wins-the-auto-express-2021-summer-tyre-test

See https://youtu.be/yqXQgBdqVqI

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Auto-Express-SUV-Tyre-Test.htm

Do your research, and plan accordingly 

Thanks, Gary 

mine are Japanese made Dunlop and to me, they're good very quiet they have only done 5000 miles and still look like new. I think the bill will be around £200 for a straight swap. But will have to see what's available on the day. At least I'm only 1 mile from the dealer 

On 1/6/2024 at 9:20 PM, fourbanks said:

Thanks, Gary 

mine are Japanese made Dunlop and to me, they're good very quiet they have only done 5000 miles and still look like new. I think the bill will be around £200 for a straight swap. But will have to see what's available on the day. At least I'm only 1 mile from the dealer 

The cost of the Dunlop is £225 plus vat and £15 for fitting at Gatwick. Luckily they can do it today as they have just 1 left in stock 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links