Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why are folk selling their is250's

8 hours ago, H3XME said:

It’s okay if you buy a new German thanks to warranty but god help your wallet if you go for some older models. People often slag off japanese cars for not being “nice enough” inside and whilst it’s true unless you get a lexus, I’d choose less glam for reliability any day of the week. Not saying this is the case of your son, but so many people chase Badges and forget about the rest. I got my GT86 at 21 because i wanted a sporty car rather than something that might impress the ladies and I couldn’t of been happier 😁

I had a CL55 AMG you might remember, the engine was a masterpiece, the rest of the car not so much - It was sold with a clean MOT but wanting to keep it a few years I took it to an indy and PCS found about £4/5k amount of work required, now you can double that figure ..to even pass a MOT. I had the dodge dealer at my work place within 24 hours and got a refund, then I got a Subaru.

The CL55 prob would impress the ladies, on your driveway, a friend remarked - what is that, a boat after seeing it parked up...it was a grand tourer in fairness and not a B road weapon, if only it was more reliable

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steven9233 said:

There is surely nothing worse in car life than pulling up behind a 1.6 blue tech diesel C class with its fake plastic twin tail pipe exhaust moulds built into the bumper . I’d rather get the bus. 

Having to drive a 1.6 blue tech diesel C class is surely worse than pulling up behind one 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

I had a CL55 AMG you might remember, the engine was a masterpiece, the rest of the car not so much - It was sold with a clean MOT but wanting to keep it a few years I took it to an indy and PCS found about £4/5k amount of work required, now you can double that figure ..to even pass a MOT. I had the dodge dealer at my work place within 24 hours and got a refund, then I got a Subaru.

The CL55 prob would impress the ladies, on your driveway, a friend remarked - what is that, a boat after seeing it parked up...it was a grand tourer in fairness and not a B road weapon, if only it was more reliable

My friend had a cl55 I’ve never been so scared as a passenger let me tell you . Yes a cracking engine , I think all the high end stuff from merc / BMW is great M5 etc , at a price of course they should of stuck to that level and resisted the urge to get on the mass production dog Pooh wagon that they push out in the form of A-C class and 1 series and effectively trash the good name for quality they did indeed have back in the day , the only quality your see in the average German branded showroom now is the dolly birds at reception and the decent coffee they feed you whilst your getting financially raped for all the unexpected repairs on 3rd service (out of warranty ) time 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Right then. I'm on my 4th treble asda take on Southern Comfort. Yes it's ok to slag of German cars BUT the best car Ever built was German. Put simply the UR QUATTRO. The best car by far I've ever owned or driven. If I had the money my is250 would go and I'd have another UR Quattro. Anyone who slags this car off I'll find you and make mincemeat of you. Simplz as orlav says (the animated animal on the insurance comparison site).

I've just watched the Grand Tour scandi flick. Effffing funny. I've not laughed so much in ages. The best one yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steven9233 said:

My friend had a cl55 I’ve never been so scared as a passenger let me tell you . Yes a cracking engine , I think all the high end stuff from merc / BMW is great M5 etc , at a price of course they should of stuck to that level and resisted the urge to get on the mass production dog Pooh wagon that they push out in the form of A-C class and 1 series and effectively trash the good name for quality they did indeed have back in the day , the only quality your see in the average German branded showroom now is the dolly birds at reception and the decent coffee they feed you whilst your getting financially raped for all the unexpected repairs on 3rd service (out of warranty ) time 🙂

My Gaggia machine gets me my coffee fix at home, no need for a main dealer. Modern cars so uninspiring it's depressing

What will happen to all the cars in the future, it's pretty bleak. The V8s from Jaguar and Lexus and others....?!

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Right then. I'm on my 4th treble asda take on Southern Comfort. Yes it's ok to slag of German cars BUT the best car Ever built was German. Put simply the UR QUATTRO. The best car by far I've ever owned or driven. If I had the money my is250 would go and I'd have another UR Quattro. Anyone who slags this car off I'll find you and make mincemeat of you. Simplz as orlav says (the animated animal on the insurance comparison site).

I've just watched the Grand Tour scandi flick. Effffing funny. I've not laughed so much in ages. The best one yet.

I am having a go at modern German cars, I call them white goods. Mass produced and purchase agreement specials which Bank's love.

The old Mercs and BMWs (Audi also) were a different car and a different era. Subaru are the same, Subaru was associated with motor sports but not anymore and neither are the cars, with CVT transmission that's put an end to it. Performance Subaru cars now cost a king's ransom in Japan, the manual cars. I saw one like mine for around $40/50k. These are proper drivers car, less tech, more fun.

I have a few car models in showcase cabinets, the standout cars are Mercedes from the 1950s - the 300 SLRs of course - how the mighty have fallen. The model at the top is my prized collection.

https://i.imgur.com/kBtzo6e.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 8:45 AM, H3XME said:

It’s okay if you buy a new German thanks to warranty but god help your wallet if you go for some older models. People often slag off japanese cars for not being “nice enough” inside and whilst it’s true unless you get a lexus, I’d choose less glam for reliability any day of the week. Not saying this is the case of your son, but so many people chase Badges and forget about the rest. I got my GT86 at 21 because i wanted a sporty car rather than something that might impress the ladies and I couldn’t of been happier 😁

Fully agree. I find the German cars to be pure hype. Been there done that. These days most of them are ugly too. The most hilarious is their money grabbing tactics. Everything is an option. The only reason you don't have to pay extra for a steering wheel is because there is probably a law against that. 😄 

• Haha 1

Funny that, BMW started the trend with heated seats, that's just the start - welcome to the future, it's just the beginning of this malarkey 

"Hello David, this is your BMW automated assistant, I see you are currently in a critical situation awaiting recovery, to make you more comfortable I can turn in your heated seat for 3 hours at a special reduced rate of just £12, I am sure you will find this attractive in this cold weather so you do not need to do anything and your next invoice will be updated accordingly.

Keep Safe and I wish you a speedy breakdown service recovery.

Your BMW automated assistant."

7 hours ago, eleveneleven said:

It gets worse...Mercedes plan on charging a subscription fee to unlock sport mode in thier EV'sm I have a feeling most car manufacturers will eventually follow it's too good an opportunity for them to pass up on 

They will and are - it’s just starting, another way for manufacturers to screw money out of people, who love these modern cars because they will almost have exclusive ownership of IP and repairs the days of the indy will be over, Banks love them also.

33 minutes ago, Lex_utor said:

I think the only way to stop it is for goverments to step in and make a law against it.

Got a better chance of people stop buying those cars out of principle than the gov stepping in. At the end of the day, they’re not forcing anyone to pay the subscriptions

2 hours ago, H3XME said:

Got a better chance of people stop buying those cars out of principle than the gov stepping in. At the end of the day, they’re not forcing anyone to pay the subscriptions

True, but some of it, specially based on some reports by owners, seem unethical at a minimum. Like taking away things which were originally there.

Besides, I don't see it past the EU to do something about it. Remember when they made every phone manufacturer adopt the same charging port type? There was not actually anything deeply wrong with having propietary ports. Except it was screwing people a bit. They like to do things like that.

38 minutes ago, Lex_utor said:

True, but some of it, specially based on some reports by owners, seem unethical at a minimum. Like taking away things which were originally there.

Besides, I don't see it past the EU to do something about it. Remember when they made every phone manufacturer adopt the same charging port type? There was not actually anything deeply wrong with having propietary ports. Except it was screwing people a bit. They like to do things like that.

Boris banned ICE cars over a 2 minute ish ramble with C19 a neat distraction without even a referendum, but there wasn’t a referendum anywhere in the world was there so I wouldn’t be holding my breath on the gov to do anything about this situation. 

It will be interesting to see how gov’s deal with ICE cars in the coming years and how they eventually kill them off – assuming that is what they wish to do
Maybe increase the water content - sorry ethanol in gasoline

Increase VED more until people can’t afford, Singapore, HK and other countries have ridiculous fees to get a car on the road but they were always like that for a long time, in other words car ownership is out of reach but to the most well off.
Hike duty at the pumps, they are already doing a good job 

hmmm

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There was a recent meeting in Bali, Nov 15th,16th the powerful G20 bods discussing plans for the future - without going into too much detail the summary is this

Global governance, with centralized coordination and control of your money, food, energy, and health - in other words a direct route to totalitarianism.

Its not looking good so enjoy these 6 cylinder cars while you can in these coming years - keep on top of your servicing!

[G20 Members: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States, and the European Union. Spain is also invited as a permanent guest]

Well my thread has gone off kealter so I'll have a bash at what some govs are doing in charging for this n that. They can charge whatever But a majority will not pay as they won't be able to pay for them ridiculous charges. But those charges are infact for new cars as for the use of a steering wheel for instance. 

As for the abolishment of ice cars then that won't happen in a long long time coz again the majority of folk won't be able to afford an electric car and not even a used one. Who on earth would want to buy a used electric car when it's Battery would have lost between 10 and 20% of its charge capability. I read just this week from autocar about the longevity of those batteries in leccy cars. Put me right off 110% that article on getting a leccy car. I'll be keeping my V6 for quite some years unless I come up trumps on the lottery then it'll be a V8 👍

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Well my thread has gone off kealter so I'll have a bash at what some govs are doing in charging for this n that. They can charge whatever But a majority will not pay as they won't be able to pay for them ridiculous charges. But those charges are infact for new cars as for the use of a steering wheel for instance. 

As for the abolishment of ice cars then that won't happen in a long long time coz again the majority of folk won't be able to afford an electric car and not even a used one. Who on earth would want to buy a used electric car when it's battery would have lost between 10 and 20% of its charge capability. I read just this week from autocar about the longevity of those batteries in leccy cars. Put me right off 110% that article on getting a leccy car. I'll be keeping my V6 for quite some years unless I come up trumps on the lottery then it'll be a V8 👍

For the moment yes, but the plans for 2030 and beyond are already starting so you need to think about a decade from now, most current ICE cars will be in a state of disrepair and no new ones will be available - thats why the drive to EVs is more nanny state and less climate change. 

I would get a V8 if I had space for it, I cant help think how nice a Jag XK RS would be with the 4.2 supercharged lump, crazy amount of car for that quality

9 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

The Jag XK RS is a rather superb car. As is the S-type variant too. Shed load of car for peanut money.

I know, I would get one but for my Subaru being a beast and having no space on the drive for another car - looking at the engine itself makes me cry a bit

4 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

As for the abolishment of ice cars then that won't happen in a long long time coz again the majority of folk won't be able to afford an electric car and not even a used one. Who on earth would want to buy a used electric car when it's battery would have lost between 10 and 20% of its charge capability. I read just this week from autocar about the longevity of those batteries in leccy cars. Put me right off 110% that article on getting a leccy car. I'll be keeping my V6 for quite some years unless I come up trumps on the lottery then it'll be a V8 👍

The high sticker price of a new EV is just one thing. The technology is still in it's infancy and constantly evolving and improving. Meaning, even if you can afford one, by the time you've paid for it - 3, 4 years later or whatever. Your car is basically second-rate and undesirable compared to what'll be on the market then. Plus, of course there's the Battery degradation that you mention to add to the equation.

If that means old-tech EVs will suffer very heavy depreciation and be relatively cheap, then yeah that might mean there could be a 2nd-hand market for them. Otherwise, who would want a used one indeed.

Another thing that'll be a factor is just how many EVs will actually survive long enough to make it on to the used marketplace. Savagegeese raises this question and a few others in this review of the BMW iX. It's a real eye-opener.

Because it, and many other luxury EVs are so complex and weigh so freaking much, the manufacturers are increasingly making body parts out of carbon composites and other exotic materials, and making the Battery pack an integral part of the structure etc. Which could potentially make even a minor prang hideously expensive to repair, or write-off the car altogether.

• Like 1

I’m very much on the ICE side and our  GSF is going nowhere. However we do have a BEV on order to replace our RX450h. The main reason is that the benefits when you have a LTD company are hard to ignore and I feel that this is one of the reasons (along with company car BIK advantages) why BEVs are becoming increasingly popular. 

• Like 1

I look at cars like the Legendary LS400, with a 3/4 decade+ lifespan, probably more, will an EV last this long? no chance, batteries degrade the minute you take it from the glistening showroom – all the fast charging really impacts the longevity also - add the cold weather too – I am an Engineer remember, I have first hand experience with this.

Cars like that Lexus were designed from the ground up to last forever, EVs are not made with this goal - all the wiff waff we are told is just the goody stuff they want us to know but really when I see Peugeot e208s and Vauxhall Corsa’s costing £40k it’s a pretty clear indication it’s not for me. 

You could buy a used Corsa petrol banger for £3k and it would serve probably better

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, F.A. said:

I’m very much on the ICE side and our  GSF is going nowhere. However we do have a BEV on order to replace our RX450h. The main reason is that the benefits when you have a LTD company are hard to ignore and I feel that this is one of the reasons (along with company car BIK advantages) why BEVs are becoming increasingly popular. 

My company are big into EVs, they have taken up an entire parking lot with chargers, I would take a photo but it would be naughty and might land me in trouble but its a very sizable space and most of it is pretty vacant, I only see about 10 cars there at the moment which tells its own story in a place with 1k plus employees - but if companies are throwing all the money at this stuff and its not costing anyone money thats completely different from the layman who needs a car to go from A to B without forking out £40k in the process

• Like 1

That Savagegeese video is an excellent one. He's done quite a few really good videos. This video however has within it a very important review and that is longevity of these ruddy expensive leccy cars. And wow what really surprised me is how car manufacturers basically spy on the car owners habits of what functions within the car they use and how often and on a daily basis. Jeez if they're spying on function use what else are they spying on?

Now in reality there are much cheaper leccy cars such as the MG brand. Sub 30k for a brand new leccy car which is really quite a ruddy good car for an EV. 

And yes I'm seeing more charging stations being built. Blimey Abington service station not only has about 8 tesla chargers they're installing another 8 other superdooper chargers. So that reduces the parking space count for the ice car of which there are many many more times that of EV's. 

Interesting thing in that video also about servicing hybrid cars that because of the ever increasing complexity they're going to be even dearer to service. Where is it all going to end!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links