Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400H (2008) rear shocks

Hi,

I have been advised by my mechanic that the rear shocks need replacing. My mech is so busy that he asked me to get them myself and then go see him.

Having done a bit of searching, I got confused and annoyed with suppliers.

Anyone with experience doing these? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

1) Part number and recommended suppliers? Looks like I’d need the rubber surronh

2) Any upgrades possible (or stick to originals)?

3) Should I consider doing the fronts at the same time (based on the age of the vehicle), or just the rear pair?

many thanks fellow Lexus owners👍🏽

I think... i'd get a second opinion and find someone - assuming it does need doing - who would also source the parts.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Herbie said:

Rock Auto in the USA or Amayama are the best places for parts.

I should mention that I’m in the Uk…

but thanks👍🏽

Most of us are also in the UK and we order parts from both the places mentioned as even including shipping and taxes the parts are still cheaper than UK suppliers 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mcruiz said:

3) Should I consider doing the fronts at the same time (based on the age of the vehicle), or just the rear pair?

This is a difficult one. Most suspension manufactures state shocks should be replaced every 40k to 60k miles due to wear but virtually nobody does that - they wait for performance to be severely impacted.

You should certainly consider doing the fronts if you don't go with OEM shock, or shocks that don't match OEM spec, otherwise you would have different damping characteristics front/rear.

Also be careful with suspension parts from the US - their vehicles use different OEM parts as they are sometimes softer than European models, so again you would probably want to replace all four corners.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

This is a difficult one. Most suspension manufactures state shocks should be replaced every 40k to 60k miles due to wear but virtually nobody does that - they wait for performance to be severely impacted.

You should certainly consider doing the fronts if you don't go with OEM shock, or shocks that don't match OEM spec, otherwise you would have different damping characteristics front/rear.

Also be careful with suspension parts from the US - their vehicles use different OEM parts as they are sometimes softer than European models, so again you would probably want to replace all four corners.

Much thanks for that 👍🏽

16 hours ago, mcruiz said:

My mech is so busy that he asked me to get them myself and then go see him.

Is there anyone here with a reputable indy mechanic in your part of the UK that wouldn't find it too much bother to look after a new and moderately well-off customer I wonder !

Your existing mech can't really be bothered with you maybe :unsure:

I would kick him into touch :wink3:  .  with a BIG BOOT

Malc

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Malc said:

Is there anyone here with a reputable indy mechanic in your part of the UK that wouldn't find it too much bother to look after a new and moderately well-off customer I wonder !

Your existing mech can't really be bothered with you maybe :unsure:

I would kick him into touch :wink3:  .  with a BIG BOOT

Malc

🤷🏽‍♂️🤣

8 hours ago, mcruiz said:

Ah…I see. Never done the US shipping thing…

What’s costs like?

Surprisingly reasonable and quick too, you can select various delivery options and pre pay the VAT so no hold ups in UK customs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Michael Curtis, Depending on whereabouts in Kent that you live you should try Tech One based in Sidcup Kent.  https://www.tech-one.co.uk/

They have looked after my 2008 Rx400h for many years and they come with the highest recommendation. Just look at the glowing reviews on their website.

Man to speak to is Derek---the owner and Chief Mecahnic 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Lydiamight said:

Hi Michael Curtis, Depending on whereabouts in Kent that you live you should try Tech One based in Sidcup Kent.  https://www.tech-one.co.uk/

They have looked after my 2008 Rx400h for many years and they come with the highest recommendation. Just look at the glowing reviews on their website.

Man to speak to is Derek---the owner and Chief Mecahnic 

Much thanks for that.👍🏽

I’m based in Buckinghamshire, UK.

I’ll contact them and see what can be done.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links