Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How did my UX get stolen?

4 minutes ago, Herbie said:

They don't want to be too high - you need to get the little scrote's faces.

The two photos below were just captured from my system a few minutes ago. I've had to reduce the file sizes but they're from Hik-Vision Color-Vu 4MP PoE cameras:

cctv1.thumb.jpg.8e003a67ce778bf7059fcaf4dc48307f.jpg

cctv2.thumb.jpg.67e29d77eb74038515d61abb3cf43437.jpg

That’s a very nice, beautifully trimmed, verdant lawn Herbie.  Almost like astroturf…

1 minute ago, LenT said:

That’s a very nice, beautifully trimmed, verdant lawn Herbie.  Almost like astroturf…

You got me Len - I hate gardening so anything to make life easier :laughing:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hillie said:

they could just as easily have used a piece of electrical tape and covered the lens or whole device, removing it when they left.

I can’t comment on other setups, but my cameras would have clocked chummy and sounded warnings inside the house long before they got within taping range.

I know because a stealth attack was one of the things I tried!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Herbie said:

The two photos below were just captured from my system a few minutes ago. I've had to reduce the file sizes but they're from Hik-Vision Color-Vu 4MP PoE cameras:

Brilliant.

I have a combination of security, including Hikvision Colorvu. Fantastic at night. 

9 hours ago, Herbie said:

DIY or installer? We're moving into a new house soonish and have been looking at options. Although I did find a builder that builds garages where you can actually park in, still considering camera options for the outside. Inside will be covered by a wired motion detection/ingress system with dial out notification. Would appreciate your recommendations.

23 hours ago, Herbie said:

@Herbie  absolutely agree with you about positioning versus image detail.  I am testing some locations now and reviewing the coverage, resolutionat different times of the day and night to get the  best image quality before commiting to a final install.  For me I have a detached double garage which is a little way from the house making things a little more complex.  The location for the camera will be a compromise between height for greater area coverage at the expense of superior resolution and close up image clarity.  I opted for 8MP camera's with optical zoom (not digital zoom) to partially offset this trade-off along with over-lapping cameras.

Will post some images once I get things setup, but so far the Reolink cameras are impressive.  The motion detection and senstivity is amazing.  Setup is also  exceptionally easy with ony rudimentary knowledge to get up and running.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Illogan said:

It's such a shame that one cannot wire in a link to (a personally activated) harpoon......

I'm afraid, (and quite reconciled with the fact) that my IL (Intolerance Level) has risen exponentially with my age/experience/wisdom level.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, peniole said:

DIY or installer? We're moving into a new house soonish and have been looking at options. Although I did find a builder that builds garages where you can actually park in, still considering camera options for the outside. Inside will be covered by a wired motion detection/ingress system with dial out notification. Would appreciate your recommendations.

It would have been a very easy DIY job but I had too much on at the time, so we had our system professionally installed by Paul Whitehead, https://www.hometech-solutions.co.uk/

About three or four weeks ago we offered on a bungalow that had a double garage that was detached from the house by about 15-20 metres and I was weighing up camera options for that. Mind you, even though the garage there would have housed our RX comfortably, I still wouldn't have used it that way. The garage was going to be my 'heavy' man cave, whilst the third bedroom would have been my electronics/radio/computer man cave.

Sadly, it wasn't to be. It was sold to someone who was basically a cash buyer with no chain behind them and who had the money in the bank ready to go, so our search continues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Herbie said:

It would have been a very easy DIY job but I had too much on at the time, so we had our system professionally installed by Paul Whitehead, https://www.hometech-solutions.co.uk/

About three or four weeks ago we offered on a bungalow that had a double garage that was detached from the house by about 15-20 metres and I was weighing up camera options for that. Mind you, even though the garage there would have housed our RX comfortably, I still wouldn't have used it that way. The garage was going to be my 'heavy' man cave, whilst the third bedroom would have been my electronics/radio/computer man cave.

Sadly, it wasn't to be. It was sold to someone who was basically a cash buyer with no chain behind them and who had the money in the bank ready to go, so our search continues.

Thanks for the recommendation. Also, thinking of a DIY install. How costly was the professional install, if you don't mind me asking? I assume they went the attic eaves route?

Sorry to hear your offer fell through. Good luck with the continued hunt. We were also looking for a bungalow, but after a long search settled for a two story new build.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Herbie- having spent virtually all my working life dealing with property in one way and another,you will find it's probably fate or karma..There will probably be a better bungalow out there for you --keep trying.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DavidCM said:

Herbie- having spent virtually all my working life dealing with property in one way and another,you will find it's probably fate or karma..There will probably be a better bungalow out there for you --keep trying.

Strangely, this has been very much our experience.

I believe in neither fate nor karma.  And in our 50 years we’ve made relatively few moves.  But we’ve made offers on properties that have then fallen through - to MrsT’s distress - only for something far superior to turn up where we’ve had many happy years.

In fact, we can look back on those failed purchases more with relief than regret!  🙂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Herbie said:

Down South I'd also recommend: https://www.cctvaware.com/ 

11 hours ago, peniole said:

Thanks for the recommendation. Also, thinking of a DIY install. How costly was the professional install, if you don't mind me asking? I assume they went the attic eaves route?

Initially it was two cameras, one at the front looking from right to left (from the 'attached' side of the semis to the driveway side) and one at the rear. It quickly became apparent that if anyone was going for the car, the front camera wouldn't get their faces properly, so I added a third camera into the system, looking from the front door and along the car.

The quote:

792348844_cctvquote.thumb.jpg.358799e4b4425e291bafa5ac1e9be789.jpg

11 hours ago, peniole said:

I assume they went the attic eaves route?

Not for our particular house, no.

In the photo below you can see the camera above the front door. I lifted the first two or three rows of tiles and then fed the cable out to the brickwork of the gable end. It was then taken through the wall (approx. where I've arrowed) and into the spare bedroom where the network video recorder is.

533580326_newcar2copy.thumb.jpg.22add41281c94ecdd7a0044830580ba8.jpg

The camera and cable run may be considered too low and open to fiddling with, but I'm working on the principle that their image will already have been captured before they can disable anything.

The two front cameras:

cctv4.thumb.jpg.198769183d94d8f7826762cb7679b9d6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DavidCM said:

Thanks David, that's my wife's philosophy too. She always says things happen for a reason and that one just wasn't meant to be :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 10:28 PM, LenT said:

I’ll see if I can get Eufy to comment on this!

I contacted Eufy and asked about the vulnerability of their products to jamming.

This was their first response:

With regard to your concern, please know that eufy video doorbell will not be aulnerable (sic) to this form of attack. 

Reacting to my suggestion that a little more detail might be welcome, I received this:

The eufy devices connect to the Homebase with its private Wi-Fi protocal. (sic)  So it is very secure.

To be fair, I also received several exhortations to: Have a lovely day, take care!

Searching elsewhere for a more enlightening response, I came across this information about Eufy security products which seems to provide a more convincing explanation:

The hub only uses wifi to connect itself to your network, and that is providing you don't use ethernet with it already, in which case no wifi is used. All devices that connect to the hub use zigbee/zwave. This is a completely different technology and is not susceptible to the jammer the op is talking about (which I assume is WiFi jammers)

Also, the wireless (2k) doorbell does not have onboard storage. It records and send footage directly to the homebase using zigbee/zwave, not wifi, which means it can't be jammed by a wifi jammer.

I guess that Zigbee and Z-wave are the protocols to which Eufy refers and apparently jamming them requires something different to WiFi.  So now I have to decide whether it's best to keep the Eufy warning stickers on the door to let chummy know they're being recorded - or remove them in case it tells them which type of jammer to bring along!

But I would say that I'm actually very pleased with the Eufy set-up that I have.  And I've been able to get very good deals both from Eufy direct and from Costco.

I hope this has been of help to someone!  🙂

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Herbie said:

Initially it was two cameras, one at the front looking from right to left (from the 'attached' side of the semis to the driveway side) and one at the rear. It quickly became apparent that if anyone was going for the car, the front camera wouldn't get their faces properly, so I added a third camera into the system, looking from the front door and along the car.

The quote:

792348844_cctvquote.thumb.jpg.358799e4b4425e291bafa5ac1e9be789.jpg

Not for our particular house, no.

In the photo below you can see the camera above the front door. I lifted the first two or three rows of tiles and then fed the cable out to the brickwork of the gable end. It was then taken through the wall (approx. where I've arrowed) and into the spare bedroom where the network video recorder is.

533580326_newcar2copy.thumb.jpg.22add41281c94ecdd7a0044830580ba8.jpg

The camera and cable run may be considered too low and open to fiddling with, but I'm working on the principle that their image will already have been captured before they can disable anything.

The two front cameras:

cctv4.thumb.jpg.198769183d94d8f7826762cb7679b9d6.jpg

Thanks for the details. That's actually a pretty reasonable quote given what theses systems typically go for online.

• 2 months later...

Krissy, my wife’s rx450 was stolen and she recovered believe it or not using apple air tag. Police were useless. Now it is at a dealership and apparently it would cost 22k to rewire. How expensive was your fix? I hope insurance covers it but just wanted to ask abour your experience. 

• Sad 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/16/2022 at 5:51 PM, Dealkent said:

Very worrying, I keep our keys in the protective pouch , looks like they can get round that now? 

My NX was stolen 2 weeks back from London suburb.Exactly the same scenario and they spent less than 10 minutes to drive away. We are not aware we could have tracked it and police where negative and gave me no hopes.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links