Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Unleaded vs Super Unleaded

53 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

Has anyone actually noticed any difference between unleaded vs super unleaded fuel? or is it all marketing?

Worms, can, opened :wallbash:

It's all snake oil.

Super-duper petrol in a super-duper engine that's been tuned to use it - great, makes sense.

Super-duper petrol in a standard engine makes no sense whatsoever.

• Like 3

In the absence of independent directly comparable tests over a good distance, the difference could be subjective.  Looked at another way, the higher octane or E5 contains less of the dreaded Ethanol which is a problem with some cars and produces less power when added.  In other words, the normal unleaded has now been further adulterated. I was under the impression that the super grade, contained additional additive(s) to help clean engine and maximise performance.  The difference could vary with the type of vehicle.  Some high Octane fuel  contains 5% Ethanol while some is Ethanol free.  Let's hire a track for a day and do various tests!

• Like 2

I have only ever put shell V power, momentum 99 in the three lexus that I have owned and will continue to do so regardless,call me whatever 😉 

• Like 3

Each to their own.

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

But as to 'difference', difference in what... mpg, smoothness, cleanness, emissions etc?

Best to do what you want but I don't think anyone truly knows or knows whether it's worth the extra cost?

• Like 2

I'm not so sure I am a fan of the watered down stuff. But if I get the same mileage and there is no noticeable difference in mpg or performance then why throw the government more money? 

• Like 2

Having read that the engine needs unleaded normal (here it is 95 octane) that is what was used the first several months we had the car. Then for some reason started with Shell V-Power super bla. bla. bla. and used that for a very long time, did not get better mileage. The last half year went back to the 95 and engine sound like always, mileage is no worse.

Do not think the CT engine will run better on super (98) than on normal (95). These are the only 2 unleaded choices we have here.

• Like 1

It is odd how the British public let the powers that be, get away with it.

If pubs and bars watered down alcohol there would be a revolution.  But water down our fuel and its "hey, so what".

There have been many discussions about this over the years on the LOC with no consensus being reached one way or the other.  As for me, I have noticed no improvements in mileage and performance when using premium grade fuel in any car I have ever owned.  As a consequence I have in all humility come to regard enthusiastic third-party claims about extra punchiness and better acceleration as a possible confirmation of my own personal inadequacy in properly judging a car’s performance. 

With the best will in the world I have tried to apply the principle that if I always want the best for myself, I should also want the best for my car, but, since I get no objectively detectable response after filling it up with “the good stuff”, I have given up on it (for the car, I mean).  Filling up with premium every five or six tanks in order to “flush out” the system might seem a good compromise solution in respect of always using regular grade alone.  At least you might get the feeling that you are doing something good and certainly not bad for the car.  You would probably get the same result by using an injector-cleaning additive like STP with similar frequency and maybe save a few pennies at the same time, but why bother?

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links