Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Moving on from GS450h Luxury 2014 to ES300h Premium Pack 2019

Hi everyone,

After driving my GS450h for a near 4 years now, I felt ready to move on for a change. Lexus dealership at Edgware Road were kind enough to lend me a new 2022 ES300h Sport car to drive for 5 days 2 weeks ago. It certainly convinced me that the car is really, really amazing in many ways.

I love the fact that the car will work its way to give you electric drive most of the time and it is so compose and stable on the road, this really is an amazing to car to drive, no need to speed or prove anything, cruising from A to B giving you the smoothest drive possible is addictive. I was impressed.

The only thing that I thought was not my taste for this sport model are the sports seats. They look really good but they are too stiff to seat for long journeys - my GS luxury seats are way more comfortable, which is a shame because I love its exterior look.

I am aware that if I opt for the Premium Pack or Takumi model with the ES would be equally as comfortable as the GS, as over a year ago, Lexus dealership in Edgware Road had lent me a Takumi ES to try for one day and I then was very surprised then how amazing the seats are.

I am kind of sad to depart with my GS as it has been one of the, if not the best car I have driven to date and the longest one I kept against all my previous vehicles and the GS would have been my first experience with Lexus but I am also super excited to move on with another Lexus vehicle!

So, I went on a quest to search for a used ES300h for either premium pack or Takumi but the latter was a little over my budget.

Here is another reason, I decided to opt for a change is quite simple: I am turning 50 on the 18th Sept and thought I work hard enough and why not treat myself with a different Lexus car for a more comfortable car and smoother drive marking my 50th Birthday!

So I went on a quest to search for one decent ES and found one from Lexus Dealership (ES built in July 2019 - with great specs for Premium Pack) and I have sealed a deal! They are trading my car against the ES and will settle the remaining difference. The ES I found is premium pack, triple LED light beam (that is a must to me), Grey metallic colour, with black smooth leather, with all options, pioneer sound system (10 speakers) - it is not Mark Levinson but the Pioneer sound system is actually quite good I thought. I am also getting the apple Play and Android Auto retrofitted in this car and dashcam front and back to be fitted too (like in my GS).

Lexus could not get the car ready for my birthday but I will definitely pick it up on the 20th September (a few more days to bear).... I will happily share photos once I have driven it back home.

Now, for anyone who owns a GS450h, you may be thinking, why am I trading such great car with its amazing 3.5 L, V6 engine (love this engine) and rear wheel drive to ES300h?

I really have thought about this for nearly a year now and I feel ready to move on to something more economical and the experience smoother drive with ES.

Its 4th generation Hybrid that makes the car drive 70% of your drive pure electric is simply amazing and it will be one of the best cars to be having right now. Lexus sales person has confirmed that the ES is now becoming the flagship car over the GS.

The quietness and the way it drives, makes ES such a unique car. It will save me more money on fuel and I am also getting a newer car with more safety features. Yes, it does have less power than the GS, but not to a point where you will feel the car is lacking, far from it. I actually took the 2022 ES on the motorway and I can assure you that this car has plenty of power to overtake and they made it much quieter so you don't really notice it is a 4 cylinder that much. The car is impressive and stays quiet and and stable on high speed, you immediately feel it is a smoother car than the GS. It also encourages you to drive nicely without having to speed.  

It is difficult to explain as it is the way the car makes you feel when you drive it (I think anyone who owns ES300h will agree with me on this!) so, if you have not driven the ES before, I would urge you to try - it is that good! Don't be put off with the fact that it is front wheel drive and that it is a 4 cylinder with reduced power to 218PS, because honestly you will not notice this car is front wheel drive, that is how smooth it is and its power (218PS) is frankly more than enough. I do a lot of driving in London and I cannot use its full power with GS - simply impossible when most of the roads are 20mph. 

I am super excited to be part of the ES journey experience... Promised, I will share photos once I have it!

• Like 9

This is a great decision and a fantastic present for your birthday! Congratulations!

I was thinking the same - ES compared to me GS will be slow and being a front wheel drive won't as much fun but, as you, I was surprised how comfortable the ES is, not in F-sport guise though, it is quite and has enough power for everyday use, plus you will get 50mpg easy!

I almost signed for a new ES in February but Lexus Glasgow behaved not the way I expected   from them - promising one thing during conversation and getting different info through email as a quote just ****** me off, especially that I knew what they can do and the money I was willing to put in it.

I thing you will love it, my friend has an ES and says it is the best car he ever owned and he had Jaguars, Ferraris and all other cars, mostly Subaru.

Please share photos when you get it.

• Like 2

Thanks Vlady,

I am sorry to hear about your negative experience with Lexus Glasgow. I hope things will work out for the best so that you can get the ES you want. I am glad you also feel the same way about this car. It is not a sports car and was not designed to be one. So having the sports model to me is a bit of gimmick but having driven one, I can see that there is extra features with suspensions stiffing up and with the mode of Sports+. But to me the car is at its best when it drives nice and relax. It is that good that I heard some customers who had the LS500 prefer the ES. It drives really quietly and so balance. I knew that I had to get it as driving one for 5 days 2 weeks ago sold me completely!!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, cdmaskell said:

Hello Nick.  I am sure you will appreciate and enjoy the ES with the premium pack. A great choice between the Sport and Takumi.  I am on my third now, it is such an amazing pleasure to drive. 

Amazing to see that you are on your third one with ES! Yes, it is a nice choice right in the middle with Premium Pack. I cannot wait to collect it... Makes my birthday more special!

1 hour ago, cdmaskell said:

Make sure they do the third year service and MOT. You will enjoy the low VED. Happy birthday for the 18th. 50!   I wish. All the best now.

Thanks. That is what they are doing actually before I pick it up!

33 minutes ago, peniole said:

Congratulations! Welcome to the club.

Indeed!! I will post photos as soon as I get the car next week Tuesday 20th Sept so all members will be able to appreciate it!

14 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Nice car. Do I smell a video coming ?

Ohoho, not yet! I want to explore it for a while so that I understand it better... it may be happening in a few months.

On 9/15/2022 at 7:55 AM, Nico72 said:

Thanks! I try to be! Getting to learn something hitting 50...

Am 50 next year. 😮 

Have to admit I'd love to treat myself. Was originally thinking of a later GS450h but given the nature of the driving I do, mainly Greater London traffic or motorway, I really won't benefit much from the extra power. Especially given the near endless average speed cameras, gatsos, volume of traffic etc that are present these days. 

ES very much a logical upgrade although pricey imo. Top spec Camry maybe better value?

Congratulations though on your purchase. Lexus Edgware Road have upheld their excellent reputation so far with me. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, superatticman said:

Am 50 next year. 😮 

Have to admit I'd love to treat myself. Was originally thinking of a later GS450h but given the nature of the driving I do, mainly Greater London traffic or motorway, I really won't benefit much from the extra power. Especially given the near endless average speed cameras, gatsos, volume of traffic etc that are present these days. 

ES very much a logical upgrade although pricey imo. Top spec Camry maybe better value?

Congratulations though on your purchase. Lexus Edgware Road have upheld their excellent reputation so far with me. 

Toyota withdrew the Camry, perhaps 12 months ago,so no longer available new. It is however available from Toyota Dealer for high 20k and I always reckoned that it was exceptional value for money compared to the ES. However it is not a Lexus.

Good luck with whatever you decide Adam.

• Like 1

I cross shopped a camry and ES. Price difference new was non-existant. Whereas ride, cabin noise, and material quality were all a significant step up in the ES. You also lose the sunroof in the camry but gain through loading.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, peniole said:

I cross shopped a camry and ES. Price difference new was non-existant. Whereas ride, cabin noise, and material quality were all a significant step up in the ES. You also lose the sunroof in the camry but gain through loading.

Peniole, are you saying that price was the same? (non-existent)

45 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Peniole, are you saying that price was the same? (non-existent)

Best deal I could get from the Toyota dealer at the time for the full spec Camry (Excel) was £31466, and the ES (premium edition) offer was £32529. I would call that ~1k difference non-existant.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, peniole said:

Best deal I could get from the Toyota dealer at the time for the full spec Camry (Excel) was £31466, and the ES (premium edition) offer was £32529. I would call that ~1k difference non-existant.

So would I Sir.

When I looked and posted a Thread  SOME YEARS AGO I recall the difference was 6/7k for M.R.P.base models

18 hours ago, superatticman said:

Am 50 next year. 😮 

Welcome to the 50 over club soon! If you do opt for the ES, you will not be disappointed! I am enjoying every moment I can get with this ES and when I drove on the motorway cruising at 70mph I was getting 55mpg! dropping down to 60mph I was getting 57mpg. In town it is gives me a minimum of 45mpg driving at 20mph. So it is remarkable what Lexus has done with this car and it is so roomy inside from driver side too (and more than my GS). The car is quiet for most of my journey and I use 70% electric mode on average in town, which is really really good. Camry is another possible option but as John stated, it will not be equivalent to the Lexus luxurious brand. Good luck!

• Like 1

Congratulations Nick!!! I first saw the ES at the Paris car exhibition in October 2018 (I think it was just released on the market) and I fell in love. Unfortunately unaffordable for me so when I turned 50 last year I decided to look for a MK3 GS450H which I found last December after nearly one year active search. It seems that for our 50th birthday we all look for a big present.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links