Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

MOT failed due top full beam headlight bulb not orienting outwards enough (and low intensity)

1 hour ago, rico05 said:

Hi! 

I have not heard of this problem occurring before. Could it be that the bulbs were installed upside down for something, or that incorrect bulbs were installed?

Any other ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Rico

How about replacing them with new ones, or is that financially prohibitive ?

25 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

From memory, I'm not sure it's possible to fit them upside down. There's only one way for them to lock in place.

Could be the bulb has a fingerprint on it, or it's just diminished with age.

Both are very possible, worth checking 

Yes Rico. And as John said above on the passenger side you need to remove the windscreen washer bottle filler neck. 10mm bolt dead easy to remove. As for the drivers side it depends if you have Big hands or small ones. It's not overly necessary to remove the air box as there's a bit more than just enough room to remove the bulb cover.

There are a good number of videos on YouTube on how to change bulbs on the is250/220d. I recommend you watch them first to get a good picture of what is involved. 

Not sure about the intensity. Never heard that one before in 35 years driving. Just renew the main beam bulbs. Maybe the ones in your car are original and maybe fading. Xenon bulbs kind of fade over time so I imagine 'normal ' bulbs do to. The headlights in 250 and 220d are the same spec dependant (some have Xenon others don't)

44 minutes ago, rico05 said:

The time has come to attempt the repairs. Does it matter if I use xenon or Halogen bulbs. Thanks again for all of your help everyone 

Better read this Ricardo.

https://eurowagens.com/blog/can-i-upgrade-my-headlights-from-halogen-to-xenon/

Rico. One way to tell if you have zenon is. At night when you turn on your headlights do you notice them going up and down? If so you have zenon. If not you have halogen. And NO you can not change from a halogen bulb to a zenon. Far too much to change. 

• Like 1

Then you've got zenon bulbs. They must be worn out by now and need changing. They are more expensive than halogen bulbs. I've read you can fit them yourself But you have to be extra careful not to touch any of the glass areas. 

BUT the zenon are Dipped headlight. The main beam is halogen. A favourite upgrade with fellow IS owners is Osram Night Breaker Laser. HB3 model.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links