Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter tyres

Hi, just got my NX 350h on 1/9/22. Wheels are 20inch, with run flat tyres.  I cannot find any tyre manufacturer who makes winter/all terrain tyres which are run flats for my car.  I live in the NE Scotland and would prefer to be on winter tyres.  Any suggestions please!  

What size are the currently fitted tyres?

Do any manufacture make runflat winters/all season tyres? Wouldn't it be counter productive, the construction and compound for the runflat would be too hard for all season/winter use?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bremner said:

Hi, just got my NX 350h on 1/9/22. Wheels are 20inch, with run flat tyres.  I cannot find any tyre manufacturer who makes winter/all terrain tyres which are run flats for my car.  I live in the NE Scotland and would prefer to be on winter tyres.  Any suggestions please!  

Hi, I can't answer your tyre query, but could you let us on the forum know when you ordered your 350h, and if it was via a dealer or lease company etc. Only because delivery times seem to be very vague and random, so your experience may shed some light.

3 hours ago, Bremner said:

You need to opt for standard winter tyres if thats what you want to ride on. Run flats arent needed

2 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Run flats arent needed

Looks like many manufactures are including some sort of instant seal tech in their winter tyres, allowing the vehicle to continue to be driven after a puncture. (see my post above)

I take it the 20 inch rims have Summer tyres fitted.

Could you not buy a smaller set of alloys and fit Winter tyres to them in say 18 inch size? The dealer may be able to advice on a smaller wheel size that would fit from the same vehicle and give you more choice and cheaper winter tyres.

James.

When I was involved in the development of TRW tpms sensor systems 20 years ago, I seem to remember that Michellin run flat tyres could only be fitted to a special rim and that any standard tyre could not be fitted to that said rim. 

Thanks for all the comments!  Nemesis - thanks for your tyre suggestions.  I shall investigate further.  Much depends on how bad the winter is up here, live up a country track, which can get tricky at times! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

I take it the 20 inch rims have Summer tyres fitted.

Could you not buy a smaller set of alloys and fit Winter tyres to them in say 18 inch size? The dealer may be able to advice on a smaller wheel size that would fit from the same vehicle and give you more choice and cheaper winter tyres.

James.

When I was discussing with my dealer on going towards smaller wheel size, a technician overheard our conversation and politely interrupted to warn that going smaller than 'factory specification' can trick the speedometer to show wrong values. Ending up ordering what was factory specified built. Hmm...

43 minutes ago, Vira said:

When I was discussing with my dealer on going towards smaller wheel size, a technician overheard our conversation and politely interrupted to warn that going smaller than 'factory specification' can trick the speedometer to show wrong values. Ending up ordering what was factory specified built. Hmm...

That's easily corrected, when going down on rim diameter one goes up on tyre section thereby maintaining the original rolling circumference. The speedometer will not see any difference. This is normal practice even the manufacturers do when offering different wheel sizes for a particular model.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links