Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential buyer roof question

RevPhilip

Hi all. I am thinking of buying an sc430, but would like to ask about roof reliability. A few years ago I had an IS250C and had a number of roof problems, roof not opening or refusing to close for two or three different reasons. Which has LED to me being nervous about buying an older Lexus convertible. 

Anything else that I need to look for? 

Thank you for any advice and replies

Philip

Comes with the territory unfortunately, most mechanical folding roofs have longer term issues but reports here are very low. Just make sure it operates smoothly.

Other things to check are timing belt and water pump, front suspension/ball joint wear, paint/corrosion around the roof seals and exhaust.

• Like 2

160,000 miles and no roof issues to report with mine Phil.

I've encountered a couple at meets that were due to boot lock/sensor failure but I would say faults with the roof are quite rare.

• Like 2

None with mine either 17 yrs old but low mileage, and lives in Wales so not a lot of opportunity to open it, I do give mechanism a spray with Wd 40 now and then and treat seals with vaseline occasionally, any sc this age will probably need exhaust and seeping shockers, poss Abs rings but most of these may have been done? Have a good look underneath usually surface rust but nothing to worry about otherwise just enjoy 👍Stew

• Like 3

Hi Philip

In my opinion SC's are a fabulously engineered car and although many are well used and high milage they appear to suffer less problems thsn other manufacturers.

If the seals are very hard and dry I would recommend using Shin Etsu grease, it is not cheap but I was told about it and it has completely rejuvenated my rubber seals!

Anthony

Screenshot_20220726-230335_eBay.thumb.jpg.74d39f0797bedbb0822f6dd312549965.jpg

• Like 4

Sorry but I have another question, though I think I know the answer….

I have found an SC430, 2006 so I need to see if it’s cheap tax. It has full service history, all Lexus a part from the last two services. 

My question is…the car has 119,000 miles on it. Can these engines cope with high miles if well looked after. Do I need to make sure that the cam belt and water pump have been done? If not how much would that cost? 

Anything else to look out for? 

Thanks in advance for your help and answers. I am hoping to go and see the car this week. 

Kind regards 

Philip 

13 minutes ago, RevPhilip said:

My question is…the car has 119,000 miles on it. Can these engines cope with high miles if well looked after. Do I need to make sure that the cam belt and water pump have been done? If not how much would that cost? 

The engine is good for 200k+ miles if serviced correctly - no common issues with it. Cam belt needs to have been done at 100k miles, normally Lexus will put a sticker on the cover to show it has been done - but it sound like it may have been to an independent for its 100k service. If it snaps it will damage the engine. It would be nice if the water pump was done at the same time but not so critical and will start to leak to give a warning sign long before they give up.

You would probably be looking at £400 for an independent to do the belt and pump. Not too difficult in this vehicle at it is at the front.

• Like 1

I would be happy with a 119k engine with full history. My LS430 (with the same engine) has 146k on it and it drives like a new engine. I replaced the engine oil a year ago and it is still golden-coloured. How often do you come across that? I have owned more than 60 cars and have never experienced that before. They are superb engines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RevPhilip said:

Sorry but I have another question, though I think I know the answer….

I have found an SC430, 2006 so I need to see if it’s cheap tax. It has full service history, all Lexus a part from the last two services. 

Anything else to look out for? 

Thanks in advance for your help and answers. I am hoping to go and see the car this week. 

Kind regards 

Philip 

I’ve had a quick look around Google and think I found the car you are talking about …blue 2006 ?

Has almost full Lexus service history , so should of had belts and w/pump done when needed.

Vehicle was registered on 20th March 2006 so is the cheaper  

£360 road tax, tax rate went up at the end of March .

car looks in great condition but do ask for some photos of the underside as that do corrode.  Tail pipes are the wrong ones ..look like pea shooters !

• Thanks 1

That’s the very one Bob.

I’ll check underneath it. So I may need to get a new exhaust for it?  

It does look to be in good condition, and the wife has said yes to buying it, so it’s a win, win if it’s good when I go and look at it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RevPhilip said:

That’s the very one Bob.

I’ll check underneath it. So I may need to get a new exhaust for it?  

It does look to be in good condition, and the wife has said yes to buying it, so it’s a win, win if it’s good when I go and look at it. 

May just need the chrome tailpipes replaced for better/bigger ones.

The fact the originals have dropped/rusted off could be a sign of underbody corrosion.

The MOT this year had a fair amount of work done, that surprises me if it’s been dealer maintained, so go view with caution 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

Hi Philip

A friend of mine has two original Lexus chrome tailpipes in good condition for sale, so let me know if you need some, they are horrendously expensive if you buy them from Lexus!

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been to see the car. Great service history, serviced every year, main dealer until 2021. Everything I tried worked, a part from the electric aerial. Coolant level was below minimum! I looked underneath the car and it looked ok. On the short test drive, it drove ok. Body work was good, a part from a large number of stone chips on the bonnet! 

I need to decide today as to whether I buy it or walk a way from it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RevPhilip said:

I have been to see the car. Great service history, serviced every year, main dealer until 2021. Everything I tried worked, a part from the electric aerial. Coolant level was below minimum! I looked underneath the car and it looked ok. On the short test drive, it drove ok. Body work was good, a part from a large number of stone chips on the bonnet! 

I need to decide today as to whether I buy it or walk a way from it. 

Facelift with lower road tax and full service history  ….don’t think about it too long 😉

• Like 1

Well done Philip, at least you have your initial list of projects!

The only thing I find is that I can add them quicker than I can do them!

I am not complaining because I enjoy it and love doing the upgrades and improvements. 

Anthony

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Send out an APB "one of our cars is missing?"

Anyone (Bob, perhaps ?) know the name/location of the Dealer ?

Advert has been taken down so no idea of location ☹️.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links