Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel additive Yes or No

Having just had my 2nd service. The dealer presented me with a service plan. I noticed on the quotation a line things you may want to consider. This included things like wiper blades, wheel alignment, Air con etc. They give you a cost and how much extra per month it would be if you wanted it included in the service's. What surprised me they also listed fuel additive and in brackets recommended at each service. This took me back a bit as when I bought the car I knew it would run on E10 petrol with no conversion needed. Since i bought the UX much discussion has taken place about E10 and its corrosive properties and the damage it can cause to the engine. When I received the service follow up call I asked about this and the advisor said you don't have to have it if you don't want its mainly for older vehicles. This leaves me confused 1) why did they list recommending the fuel additive at each service 2) Told mainly for older engines. So hoping you good folks can advise discuss Yes or No for a fuel additive and if yes what type. What do you all think.  

I'm very surprised a dealer would suggest this for a nearly new car. I'm no expert but my reaction would be that it's a sales pitch based on the old FUD strategy (fear, uncertainty and doubt) and I'm old enough to remember Redex being sold using similar dubious marketing tricks.

Until last year I had a river boat fitted with a 1960s design Volvo engine. E10 is much more of an issue with old engines and with boats because they're more exposed to moisture and more likely to remain unused for several months each year. Even then, although controversial, the general feeling was not to get too worried and if there was a problem it could be fixed by replacing any flexible fuel hoses, seals and pump diaphragms that were made out of old materials more likely to be affected by moisture and ethanol. The most useful and seemingly sensible info I found when researching this a couple of years ago was: https://ttypes.org/introduction-of-e10-petrol-as-the-standard-for-fuel-across-the-uk/

Lexus have issued this clear statement https://mag.lexus.co.uk/e10-petrol/ which includes:

"The good news is that the vast majority of Lexus models with a petrol engine or hybrid powertrain and that were officially supplied within the European market since January 1998 are compatible with E10 petrol."

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ALAW said:

Having just had my 2nd service. The dealer presented me with a service plan. I noticed on the quotation a line things you may want to consider. This included things like wiper blades, wheel alignment, Air con etc. They give you a cost and how much extra per month it would be if you wanted it included in the service's. What surprised me they also listed fuel additive and in brackets recommended at each service. This took me back a bit as when I bought the car I knew it would run on E10 petrol with no conversion needed. Since i bought the UX much discussion has taken place about E10 and its corrosive properties and the damage it can cause to the engine. When I received the service follow up call I asked about this and the advisor said you don't have to have it if you don't want its mainly for older vehicles. This leaves me confused 1) why did they list recommending the fuel additive at each service 2) Told mainly for older engines. So hoping you good folks can advise discuss Yes or No for a fuel additive and if yes what type. What do you all think.  

Because most of us are mugs ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ALAW said:

Yes or No for a fuel additive and if yes what type. What do you all think.  

Certainly for a newish car... no.

I'm note sure even Lexus would say yes.

If it's getting old and you feel it 'might' be worth a try, buy the one YOU like and use it before a LONG journey - maybe? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ALAW said:

why did they list recommending the fuel additive at each service

I imagine it is a fuel system and engine valve/piston cleaner. e.g Redex type of product (although hopefully one that is much better).

• Like 3

Lexus/Toyota have their own branded fuel system additive so it's probably this that they are referring to (taken from Lexus Parts Direct website) - I've never been offered it to date on any Lexus service however:

Lexus Petrol Fuel System Cleaner

Toyota Petrol Fuel System Cleaner

Suitable for all Toyota Petrol Engines

Toyota part number – PZ463-00PB0-04.

Created and approved by Texaco Ltd Improves Fuel efficiency.

• Like 3

I agree with Peter, and use premium petrol. I'm not so concerned about the ethanol content, although Esso E5 is zero ethanol, but premium has fuel additives/cleaners in it already.

For me it's worth it, as the additional cost is offset by the slightly better mpg I get using premium, so might be worth experimenting with a few tankfuls to see what you get.

Personally I wouldn't take their option though, and would just add one of my choice if I felt it necessary.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Lexus/Toyota have their own branded fuel system additive so it's probably this that they are referring to (taken from Lexus Parts Direct website) - I've never been offered it to date on any Lexus service however:

Which you can buy on eBay should you wish to... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PCM said:

Which you can buy on eBay should you wish to... 

Strangely more expensive on eBay (£14.28) than Lexus Parts Direct (£12.40) or Toyota Direct Parts (£10.99) - the latter two being the same company - which is Fish Brothers in Swindon - a Lexus/Toyota franchise (along with some other brands). They do charge for postage though (which isn't the case on the eBay item) so would need to factor that in unless you live close by.

12 minutes ago, KingHal said:

Does anyone else miss the good old days when you could put Redex directly into the carburettor and blow out clouds of white smoke? (New Pope elected)

Well - - it certainly loosened the carbon build-up

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KingHal said:

I wonder how fuel additive at the annual service is going to last all year🤔

The purpose of the additive is primarily to facilitate injection system cleaning. The effect of the cleaning lasts for a while. I observed a material reduction of injection valve noise in old diesel engines after a proper cleaning, but not in petrol. Given generally high quality of petrol and its additives in the UK, I’d say there is no need in such additives before 100k miles. On the other hand, there is no harm either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Roger Bill said:

I'm very surprised a dealer would suggest this for a nearly new car. I'm no expert but my reaction would be that it's a sales pitch based on the old FUD strategy (fear, uncertainty and doubt) and I'm old enough to remember Redex being sold using similar dubious marketing tricks.

Until last year I had a river boat fitted with a 1960s design Volvo engine. E10 is much more of an issue with old engines and with boats because they're more exposed to moisture and more likely to remain unused for several months each year. Even then, although controversial, the general feeling was not to get too worried and if there was a problem it could be fixed by replacing any flexible fuel hoses, seals and pump diaphragms that were made out of old materials more likely to be affected by moisture and ethanol. The most useful and seemingly sensible info I found when researching this a couple of years ago was: https://ttypes.org/introduction-of-e10-petrol-as-the-standard-for-fuel-across-the-uk/

Lexus have issued this clear statement https://mag.lexus.co.uk/e10-petrol/ which includes:

"The good news is that the vast majority of Lexus models with a petrol engine or hybrid powertrain and that were officially supplied within the European market since January 1998 are compatible with E10 petrol."

Thanks Roger very interesting I read the link which was informative and id previously seen the Lexus link on E10. I had a natter today with a colleague who puts E5 in his old Honda cub 90 motor bike. He also mentioned about the hoses and carb bits you mention could deteriate with continuous use ofE10.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KingHal said:

I wonder how fuel additive at the annual service is going to last all year🤔

Colleague at work said exactly this.

15 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

I imagine it is a fuel system and engine valve/piston cleaner. e.g Redex type of product (although hopefully one that is much better).

Also discussed this with a colleague. He mentioned there are quite a few brands Redex, Winns, STP, Millers to name a few and each have different properties. Think he said you can get what you say Colin a fuel system cleaner. You can also get a lubricant type additive he mention another I've forgot what.  

14 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Just fill up with V-Power?

Yes interesting Peter a mate after we discussed this is going to empty his tank and the next fill is going to top up with v power or Esso and see how the mileage goes. I always remember Honest John swearing by V power.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Yes Phil when the service advisor rung me she said it was a Toyota/lexus approved product i reckon it could have been this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

I agree with Peter, and use premium petrol. I'm not so concerned about the ethanol content, although Esso E5 is zero ethanol, but premium has fuel additives/cleaners in it already.

For me it's worth it, as the additional cost is offset by the slightly better mpg I get using premium, so might be worth experimenting with a few tankfuls to see what you get.

Personally I wouldn't take their option though, and would just add one of my choice if I felt it necessary.

This is what my mate is doing Bill

2 hours ago, Vadim said:

The purpose of the additive is primarily to facilitate injection system cleaning. The effect of the cleaning lasts for a while. I observed a material reduction of injection valve noise in old diesel engines after a proper cleaning, but not in petrol. Given generally high quality of petrol and its additives in the UK, I’d say there is no need in such additives before 100k miles. On the other hand, there is no harm either.

The article in the link posted by Bill mentions the high quality of petrol. The service advisor also said mainly for older cars.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links