Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus Fixed Price Servicing (but sometimes subject to negotiation at some Dealerships).

I bought my 2015 RX450h from Lexus Cheltenham and have no complaints concerning the purchase or subsequent servicing by them.  However, when I asked about servicing costs, they confirmed that Essential Service had been discontinued so I would have to pay the full price for the seventh year service which I understand is £325 now.

Encouraged by the post of another member who reported getting a discounted price, (can't remember the Dealership), I thought I would see what my nearest one at Exeter would offer saying I might transfer to them or go with an Independent.  My request was answered in a rather strange way by the receptionist prior to my booking, who said, "We will look after you".  I asked what was meant by that and was told that they would do the service for £275, which they did in the event.  Although a round journey of some 125miles for me, it is less than half of a return to Cheltenham, so again a saving in fuel and time.  I can't say whether this was just an initial inducement to go with Exeter or a reduced price will be offered for subsequent services - only time will tell.  Anyway, if you don't ask, you don't get!

39 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

I bought my 2015 RX450h from Lexus Cheltenham and have no complaints concerning the purchase or subsequent servicing by them.  However, when I asked about servicing costs, they confirmed that Essential Service had been discontinued so I would have to pay the full price for the seventh year service which I understand is £325 now.

Encouraged by the post of another member who reported getting a discounted price, (can't remember the Dealership), I thought I would see what my nearest one at Exeter would offer saying I might transfer to them or go with an Independent.  My request was answered in a rather strange way by the receptionist prior to my booking, who said, "We will look after you".  I asked what was meant by that and was told that they would do the service for £275, which they did in the event.  Although a round journey of some 125miles for me, it is less than half of a return to Cheltenham, so again a saving in fuel and time.  I can't say whether this was just an initial inducement to go with Exeter or a reduced price will be offered for subsequent services - only time will tell.  Anyway, if you don't ask, you don't get!

Quite correct Barry. Some Dealerships are merely interested in making money and have no interest in Customer Relationships. In my view you did absolutely the right thing and I encourage other Members to adopt your standpoint of "if you don`t ask, you don`t gut".

Lexus Cheltenham (Listers ?) I glean from Postings on this website (including yours) fall slap bang in the category of money making. I also recogise that some Members are content with their services and charges.

Nice to see your Postings again.

My experience with Lexus Swindon, not with service costs as I have always had a service plan but with purchasing consumables I have always been given a discount even without asking! Last time was 30% off screen wash and before that 50% off wiper blades. No complaints from me 😉

• Like 1

I had my 3rd service in September. I checked the LOC details on members discounts and called Bristol and Cheltenham. Neither offer a discount anymore for Gold members. I paid the £325 for what is basically an oil change ! I was stunned but what can you do ?

Alan

1 hour ago, stringbender said:

I paid the £325 for what is basically an oil change ! I was stunned but what can you do ?

Threaten to go to an independent, or just go to an independent, is the only option. Hopefully if enough people stop using Lexus dealers they will be forced to lower the prices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Hopefully if enough people stop using Lexus dealers they will be forced to lower the prices.

I suspect the strategy behind Relax was to lock customers into the dealership servicing.

19 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

I suspect the strategy behind Relax was to lock customers into the dealership servicing.

Yes, 100%. However it isn't really free if you are forced to pay way over the odds for a service, and it is a particularly bad deal for people who have vehicles under 3 years old and are covered by the manufacturer warranty.

1 hour ago, J Henderson said:

Likewise, the Relax-inflated prices also alienate owners of older, higher mileage cars.

Which I guess is why they introduced the 10 year plus extended warranty.

As said, the option is either to go to an independent and forgo any extended warranty, or shop around for a discount. I got a discount on a five year service plan, which works out at £275 for interim services, £460 for major ones, and £629 for the spark plug service. The quotes I got from independents at the time weren't any cheaper, so thought that was reasonable.

Before transferring to Exeter I did ask my nearer Toyota dealer what they would charge for the seventh year service but was quoted £325 as seems the most widely opted  Lexus price.  It will be interesting to learn whether Lexus Exeter are prepared to offer me a discount next year to keep my business.

As an aside, whilst at Exeter I looked in at the close by Toyota showroom to view the new bz4X.  Spacewise, it was very good but to my eyes the hideous plastic wheel arch extensions were an immediate turn off and the interior was cheap looking.  Quite frankly, if I was gifted either one of these or a Skoda Enyaq, I would opt for the latter.  The RZ needs to be considerably upgraded to merit being a Lexus.

54 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

Before transferring to Exeter I did ask my nearer Toyota dealer what they would charge for the seventh year service but was quoted £325 as seems the most widely opted  Lexus price.  It will be interesting to learn whether Lexus Exeter are prepared to offer me a discount next year to keep my business.

As an aside, whilst at Exeter I looked in at the close by Toyota showroom to view the new bz4X.  Spacewise, it was very good but to my eyes the hideous plastic wheel arch extensions were an immediate turn off and the interior was cheap looking.  Quite frankly, if I was gifted either one of these or a Skoda Enyaq, I would opt for the latter.  The RZ needs to be considerably upgraded to merit being a Lexus.

Exeter is owned by Snows, Bristol by Marshalls and Cheltenham by Listers.

Do we smell a Cartel ?

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Exeter is owned by Snows, Bristol by Marshalls and Cheltenham by Listers.

Do we smell a Cartel ?

If a dealership has a Toyota and Lexus franchise they have to obey the rules or risk losing it. It's Toyota GB that are price fixing, not the dealers. If you ask Toyota GB about it they will say they are doing it owners a favour by removing the need to shop around for the best price.

19 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

If a dealership has a Toyota and Lexus franchise they have to obey the rules or risk losing it. It's Toyota GB that are price fixing, not the dealers. If you ask Toyota GB about it they will say they are doing it owners a favour by removing the need to shop around for the best price.

Thanks Colin, but not the view the Courts would take if anyone had the resources  to challenge.

30 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Colin, but not the view the Courts would take if anyone had the resources  to challenge.

It's a fine line, and one that they are probably over. There isn't a dominant market issue here as there are many independent one can go to for servicing, but restricting prices that franchises can set is illegal - although some dealers will offer you a lower price so they technically can ultimately set their own price.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links