Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX300H Question about Tyres, regeneration and navigation update

Hello 

I have recently purchased a 2020 NX300H 

I have 3 questions: 

1) I have a set of summer and winter wheels

On one of the front tyres, there is a notch on the edge where you can see a kind of metal part underneath.

I go to the garage to order 2 Bridgestone LM005 tyres to replace them identically and have 4 tyres of the same model 

The garage refuses to change them because they want to change all 4 because it's a 4 wheel drive, I read several times that the NX300H was not considered a real 4 wheel drive (because of the electric motors)

Can you confirm this?

Can I change the front 2 if there is 4mm left on the rear with still LM005?

Can I just put another brand on the front 2? 

2) I tried to update the map, GPS 2019, I updated the DCU and MEU with the latest version. 
But when I want to update the maps, the car tells me "maps too old, go to lexus.eu" 
On the website, I can choose 4 OTA updates, I clicked on 4 maps but nothing transfers to the car.
How do I get this OTA update to work? Can we update all the maps at once?

3) I am getting used to the regeneration, as soon as I release the throttle, the needle goes to the -1 level of the charge meter

As soon as I brake, it goes to -5.

Can we have a stronger regeneration when we let go of the accelerator pedal? 

Can I have a stronger regeneration when I let go of the accelerator pedal, for example -3 or even -5?

Thank you for your help 

The best way to do a map update is to download the map from Lexus-tech and install it in the car. Don't use OTA updates - you can't update all regions using that method and it breaks speed camera notifications!

I know of no way to change the regen settings other than through the sport mode in the gear box and changing into a lower gear, which would do more regen.  But i don't think it can be done any other way.  (To put the gear box in sport mode, pull the level to the right once it is in drive and then use the flappy paddles if you have them).

Not sure on tyres... I'm sure others will comment.

Paul

On the CT you have the possibility to put gear lever in B which will break a bit harder and charge more when let go of accelerator pedal. I only use it going downhill.

Tyres: Always the new on rear wheels if not changing all 4.

56 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

On the CT you have the possibility to put gear lever in B which will break a bit harder and charge more when let go of accelerator pedal. I only use it going downhill.

I will look at this B-mode 

Yes, I know, but can I only change 2 tyres on the NX300H which is in 4 wheel drive  

1 hour ago, PDM said:

The best way to do a map update is to download the map from Lexus-tech and install it in the car. Don't use OTA updates - you can't update all regions using that method and it breaks speed camera notifications!

I know of no way to change the regen settings other than through the sport mode in the gear box and changing into a lower gear, which would do more regen.  But i don't think it can be done any other way.  (To put the gear box in sport mode, pull the level to the right once it is in drive and then use the flappy paddles if you have them).

Paul

I will look at this website tomorrow and see how it works 

Thanks for the info 

Whilst it is preferably to have all 4 tyres of the same brand, model and size (if this is in line with the manufacturer's specification - some high performance cars specify wider rear tyres), I do not believe it is illegal to have different brands front and rear (I'm not a lawyer). They should definitely be the same on the same axle though. All the recommendations advise fitting new tyres to the rear. This is for safety reasons; new ones on the front will grip more and therefore could to lead to oversteer and ultimately a spin. Fitting the new ones to the rear will lead to understeer, which is generally considered much safer.

41 minutes ago, diablojeje91 said:

Yes, I know, but can I only change 2 tyres on the NX300H which is in 4 wheel drive 

Does not sound reasonable. When putting on 4 new tyres on a car it will take a while and the front tyres will be more worn than the rear tyres, so who will ever see if the 4 were put on at the same time and the front just are taking the harder load from braking and cornering? Never heard of that rule. Is it only in the UK?

42 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Does not sound reasonable. When putting on 4 new tyres on a car it will take a while and the front tyres will be more worn than the rear tyres, so who will ever see if the 4 were put on at the same time and the front just are taking the harder load from braking and cornering? Never heard of that rule. Is it only in the UK?

I'm pretty sure it isn't a rule in the UK. Maybe a tyre company rule based on trying to generate extra sales?

3 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

I'm pretty sure it isn't a rule in the UK. Maybe a tyre company rule based on trying to generate extra sales?

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=49119  you might find this link to be useful Malcolm.

3 hours ago, diablojeje91 said:

The garage refuses to change them because they want to change all 4 because it's a 4 wheel drive, I read several times that the NX300H was not considered a real 4 wheel drive (because of the electric motors)

Can you confirm this?

Absolutely no problem whatsoever on a hybrid car because there's no physical propshaft driving the rear wheels. It only becomes a 4WD when the hybrid system drives the rear wheels by means of the electric motor. A traditional 4WD car with physical propshaft will have problems due to the different rolling diameters between front and rear.

Can I have a stronger regeneration when I let go of the accelerator pedal, for example -3 or even -5?

No, it doesn't work like that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, diablojeje91 said:

am getting used to the regeneration, as soon as I release the throttle, the needle goes to the -1 level of the charge meter

As soon as I brake, it goes to -5.

The system is designed to replicate a traditional vehicle with an automatic transmission. Therefore when you lift off you experience a bit of deceleration to simulate the normal engine braking effect. Additional braking effort (whether it comes from the hybrid regen braking or mechanical brakes) needs the application of the brake pedal. This isn't adjustable.

I will look at this B-mode 

The NX doesn't have a single B-mode, you have simulated gears to provide additional engine braking. Note using 'low' gears to provide braking can be less efficient than just lightly pressing the brake pedal and is really there to avoid using brakes on long descents to stop overheating, especially when towing (similar to when you would use low gear on a traditional automatic transmission).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=49119  you might find this link to be useful Malcolm.

Interesting reading, along with the responses to the 'Related Questions'. For the record, I would always recommend changing all 4 tyres at the same time and I rotate my tyres to facilitate this. However, I appreciate this isn't always an option.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

Interesting reading, along with the responses to the 'Related Questions'. For the record, I would always recommend changing all 4 tyres at the same time and I rotate my tyres to facilitate this. However, I appreciate this isn't always an option.

I agree Malcolm. If one can, one should.

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

The Celica GT-Four uses a center viscous coupling as a centre diff and permanent AWD - therefore you ideally want to replace all 4 tyres at the same time to avoid unnecessary wear from different rolling circumferences.

There is no such restriction on the NX which has no mechanical connection between front and rear wheels.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

The Celica GT-Four uses a center viscous coupling as a centre diff and permanent AWD - therefore you ideally want to replace all 4 tyres at the same time to avoid unnecessary wear from different rolling circumferences.

There is no such restriction on the NX which has no mechanical connection between front and rear wheels.

That last sentence Colin is what I feel that owners needed to know, thanks.

17 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

There is no B mode in the NX2020.

nx-interior-gear-shifter-gear-shifter-stalk.jpeg

Also Poppycock.
The NX is an AWD vehicle, not 4x4. And, you can change how ever many tires as you see fit. But best practice minimum is a matching pair, on the rear axle, moving the existing pair to the front

• Like 1

I did buy two different winter tires that I would put on the back. 

I have a new question: 

On the rear axle the tires wear crooked.
Example on the measurement of the ARG tire, it remains 3.5mm on the left side of the tire while the right side of the tire is still 5mm 
a difference of 1.5mm.

The front axle doesn't seem to have the same problem. 

Do your NX have the same problem? 
What should I do? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2022 at 2:38 PM, PDM said:

Paul

Paul... Consider Mitchelin Primacy Tyres or Continental all Weather tyres.. For some reason And i cant recall where i read this but some lexus owners were avoiding Bridgestone tyres ..

On 11/13/2022 at 11:49 AM, royoftherovers said:

Anything within the Owners Handbook Ron ?

On 11/13/2022 at 12:08 PM, Herbie said:

Are you sure it's a light?

It may be the shift lock cap. Normally the gear shift won't move if the car is off, but if a situation arises where you do need to move it, you press the shift lock button and it allows the lever to be moved. It usually has a cap on the shift lock button, so it may be this you're looking at.

Thanks Herbie It Is the shift lock button Finally found out its purpose..Many thanks for your help..another problem solved..R

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 8:10 PM, diablojeje91 said:

On the rear axle the tires wear crooked.
Example on the measurement of the ARG tire, it remains 3.5mm on the left side of the tire while the right side of the tire is still 5mm 
a difference of 1.5mm.

The front axle doesn't seem to have the same problem. 

Do your NX have the same problem? 
What should I do? 

I assume you mean it was inside/outside wear rather than explicitly left/right? On both rear tyres? Are you on original Lexus wheels? I've not heard of this as a common complaint so I'd recommend you get a 4 wheel alignment check performed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links