Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help confused IS 300H or ES 300H

4 minutes ago, Notamech said:

Well they're cars from different classes. The IS is more a 3 series / C class type car where as the ES is more a mid size - E class / 5 series type car. Other than the sunroof and sound system i think the decision would largely depend on what you use the car for and what your priorities are. I sold my e class due to ulez expansion and was looking for a lexus hybrid. I knew i didn't want an suv so for my budget my options were the IS or the GS (which i think is now replaced by the ES) but overall similar decision. I test drove both and frankly preferred the GS as the interior was roomy and it was more comfortable etc. But similar to the ES the rear seats didn't fold and the boot had an awkward shape which made storing a childs buggy along with any luggage tricky. In the end i went for an IS as that was at a good price + the looks and storage won me over. Overall for what i use the car for (primarily in the city and school runs etc) it is compact had adequate storage that is flexible and it is easier to park is relatively tight spaces than something like the e class or cars of that segment. But it is not without its flaws e.g its designed to be sporty so the seats are super snug doing anything like stretching over and trying to reach anywhere else in the car e.g. The glovebox etc is a nightmare. Sometimes even trying to take things out of the centre console is super difficult and inconvenient. If i had to do it over i sometimes think the GS would be more comfortable. While the IS is adequate as a family car it was designed to be more sporty and is not what you would choose if you prefer wafting along in comfort. Also if you do more highway runs and need the comfort I recommend the more comfortable ES. 

I have a 3 series and selling due to ulez expansion like you  also the ES looks featured packed unlike the IS but the IS looks smaller and more compact ....i will test drive both and decide which one will suit me i do like folding rear seats though of the IS ...it also depends on price lets see ...

Thanks for your thoughts 

So far I don’t think anyone has mentioned that the IS is rear wheel drive and the ES front wheel drive. But don’t let that put you off the IS I have never managed to loosed the back end even on snow. With its 50/50 weight distribution it performs well in slippery conditions. I have not driven an ES so cant offer an opinion on that. 
My other comment, the Top spec IS with Mark Levinson will have bigger wheels that will make the ride harder. Good luck in your search, either will be a great car. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

So far I don’t think anyone has mentioned that the IS is rear wheel drive and the ES front wheel drive. But don’t let that put you off the IS I have never managed to loosed the back end even on snow. With its 50/50 weight distribution it performs well in slippery conditions. I have not driven an ES so cant offer an opinion on that. 
My other comment, the Top spec IS with Mark Levinson will have bigger wheels that will make the ride harder. Good luck in your search, either will be a great car. 

Thats a very good point you raised about the larger wheels. My IS has 18 inch f sport wheels and they're noticeably harsh. That section on the M25 which is concrete is just too loud and jarring to drive on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Notamech said:

Thats a very good point you raised about the larger wheels. My IS has 18 inch f sport wheels and they're noticeably harsh. That section on the M25 which is concrete is just too loud and jarring to drive on. 

I found the same going from 17" on my IS250 to 18" on my IS300h. Ironically, the 19" wheels on Betsy are nowhere near as harsh as the 18"s

1 hour ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

cheers for that tip

7 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Good point, before my ES my previous 3 cars were rear wheel drive ( IS, BMW 435i and C Class) , haven’t given it a second thought since I got the ES.

Just an update I test drove the ES 300H today it was a car very comfortable and a lot more bigger than I thought ..I test drove a lovely blue colour takumi trim ES with the HUD display ..

The mark Levison stereo system is a revelation I need that in my car that for sure, and I was surprised how quiet the car was inside ..some sort of noise dampening I was told ..the car also handles beautifully with the feather weight steering 

Still undecided as I have not driven the IS 300h will be doing that at another dealership next week …but for now the ES is the top dog 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 1:14 PM, Notamech said:

Yeah it's terrible on the f sport. The only saving grace is that at least the chassis is sharp for dodging all the potholes in Surrey. 

The ES has the next gen hybrid and its noticeably smoother and quieter. When I got back in my IS it felt less refined but perhaps more agile/ better pothole dodger. 

Overall though im sure you'll find that the ES is the better car... 

Goody12 - you may have made a decision by now but will offer a few thoughts anyway. My views are based on 8 years of driving IS300h (3 models) and 10 days of ES. I loved the IS and would have had same if still available in UK (newest available will be a 2020 model), principally as I thought ES would be too long. Have changed my view now as ES giving same fuel consumption (so far), good handling and smoother ride, has upgraded info (although a new IS may have had that by now) and boot swallows all my golf gear (but you may not need that). You mention needing a sunroof - I don't recall Mk3 IS ever being available with this option - and I can't comment on ML stereo as never had it. Premium Edition ES is well specced and I wouldn't go back. Lexus will be a great choice of car whichever you choose.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

How can a larger vehicle (the ES) drink less than a smaller, supposedly lighter one (the IS) ??? Mine is on around 49-50 mpg

The hybrid system and engine are the next generation compared to the IS, i came to my ES from a 2017 IS and I am getting consistently better economy 

19 minutes ago, Derant said:

The hybrid system and engine are the next generation compared to the IS, i came to my ES from a 2017 IS and I am getting consistently better economy 

😐 Makes me feel like a bit of an idiot, really. But I guess that is inevitable when you buy a 2018 car... thanks for clarifying.

4 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

😐 Makes me feel like a bit of an idiot, really. But I guess that is inevitable when you buy a 2018 car... thanks for clarifying.

One must note that getting full-tank 49-50 mpg from an IS, even if it's per the computer, is excellent. Of course, in ideal conditions, you can achieve 50+ mpg on certain trips. My long-term (20k miles so far) consumption stat is 40-41 mpg calculated at the pump against the odometer, which includes lots of motorway miles in winterly conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DBIZO said:

One must note that getting full-tank 49-50 mpg from an IS, even if it's per the computer, is excellent. Of course, in ideal conditions, you can achieve 50+ mpg on certain trips. My long-term (20k miles so far) consumption stat is 40-41 mpg calculated at the pump against the odometer, which includes lots of motorway miles in winterly conditions.

Thanks @DBIZO

Truth is I mostly drive calm & steady like a grandpa (but i also like speed sometimes!), and the car wears a set of well-inflated Michelin primacy (rated A for fuel), so i guess that helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Thanks @DBIZO

Truth is I mostly drive calm & steady like a grandpa (but i also like speed sometimes!), and the car wears a set of well-inflated Michelin primacy (rated A for fuel), so i guess that helps.

I regularly get between 46-50mpg out on my 2020 IS.

6 minutes ago, Bounce75 said:

I regularly get between 46-50mpg out on my 2020 IS.

There you go @Bounce75 . we're probably on similar mileage too (mine is just below 20K miles).
Sometimes I wonder wether those mudflaps affect aerodynamics and thus fuel consumption.... but it would be a shame to remove them, no?

21 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

There you go @Bounce75 . we're probably on similar mileage too (mine is just below 20K miles).
Sometimes I wonder wether those mudflaps affect aerodynamics and thus fuel consumption.... but it would be a shame to remove them, no?

Who knows, could make slight difference, but I like them. I also have a space saver & a boot protector to add extra weight.🤣

Mine is just over 7k miles. I could probably get a few more MPG if I used ECO mode?😀

Wow you guys seem to be getting good mileage. Mine is a 2014 with 90k i get around 35-39. But most of my trips are super short 5-10 mile trips. The car came with all weather tyres on the front which im sure don't help either. 

2 hours ago, Notamech said:

Wow you guys seem to be getting good mileage. Mine is a 2014 with 90k i get around 35-39. But most of my trips are super short 5-10 mile trips. The car came with all weather tyres on the front which im sure don't help either. 

Was it you who opened a thread on how to clean the filter of the battery-cooling fan in the back (the one with an air intake next to the passenger on the back right) and how it could affect consumption? Given yours is a 2014 maybe that's the case? Check alignment and air filter too.

2 hours ago, Notamech said:

Short trips aren't good for hybrid consumption, nor hills! I am not even convinced that Eco mode is any better for town driving. I drove 2013, 2017 and 2020 IS, all gave good overall consumption. Later two were slightly better with 2020 recording all time average of over 45mpg in 30k miles. I never drove 'calm and steady' either. 😀

1 hour ago, Steve_L said:

Short trips aren't good for hybrid consumption, nor hills! I am not even convinced that Eco mode is any better for town driving. I drove 2013, 2017 and 2020 IS, all gave good overall consumption. Later two were slightly better with 2020 recording all time average of over 45mpg in 30k miles. I never drove 'calm and steady' either. 😀

I do drive quite calmy & roll up to red lights etc, I also don't really go over 75mph on the motorways.

13 hours ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Was it you who opened a thread on how to clean the filter of the battery-cooling fan in the back (the one with an air intake next to the passenger on the back right) and how it could affect consumption? Given yours is a 2014 maybe that's the case? Check alignment and air filter too.

No it wasnt me. But I do plan to clean the fan and filter in the summer. Also yes my alignment does feel a bit out. Il be getting new tyres (A rated for fuel consumption) all round in a few months time so will get it all sorted then. Just had a full service last month so assumed they changed the air and cabin filters. Also plan to use the lucas upper cylinder lubricant fuel additive with my next fill. Had good results with fuel economy and smoothness using this in my previous diesel. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links