Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Light and Lock Issue !

Hi again to all of you very helpful guys on this excellent forum.

Collected my NX 450 H this week and very impressed with the car, though not so equally impressed with the owners manual !!

Maybe someone can throw some 'light' on this subject as I am sure I must be doing something wrong.

Senario 1 ; Heavy rain...Pull up on my drive at night with shopping in boot, power off, and interior roof lights stay on for approx 30 seconds before any opening of any doors.

However immediately I power off, all of the drivers door and dashboard illuminated switches go off, leaving me to scramble around in the dark areas [even with the roof lights still on] looking for the boot switch to open the tailgate prior to getting out to grab the shopping.

Furthermore on two occations [ daytime] I pressed the tailgate switch on the dashboard and no response....so did the kick action instead... outside.

Senario 2; Pull up on the drive and my passenger cannot open the door unless I press the 'green illuminated unlock' button on drivers door....is this always the case...or can I change the default so that I do not have to keep pressing the opening switch?

Again guys any help or guidance would be appreciated

59 minutes ago, Mobeam said:

Collected my NX 450 H this week and very impressed with the car, though not so equally impressed with the owners manual !!

I agree that the manuals can be a bit daunting!  My IS250 came with two totalling over 1100 pages - and could certainly have been better organised.  I expect yours is even more extensive!

No doubt the answers you want are tucked away somewhere and, hopefully, an NX owner can point you towards them.

My guess is that the answers may be found by looking for an ‘Accessories’ section on the Nav Screen, where you can reset many of the car’s operations.

The door unlocking problem may be as simple as putting the gear selector into ‘Park’ first!

You may also find it useful to go to the lexus.co.uk site and register in ‘My Lexus’.  Among many useful features, you can download a digital version of the Manual.

All the best with your new Lexus.

With our current NX300h 71 plate, you have to open drivers door first, then the boot release button on the dash can be used to open the boot. Same for the passengers doors, they can only open their doors once drivers door has been opened (or once driver presses the global door unlock button located on drivers door) Could be the same process on the new NX? 

As for adjusting settings, best thing to do I find, is sit in the car and go through all the settings.

2 hours ago, Mobeam said:

Senario 2; Pull up on the drive and my passenger cannot open the door unless I press the 'green illuminated unlock' button on drivers door....is this always the case...or can I change the default so that I do not have to keep pressing the opening switch?

One should always be able to open the door from inside, irrespective of the driver settings. 

Check page 431 of the handbook regarding conditions for opening the doors from the inside. If one uses the lever it should be pulled twice, once to enable the function, the second to open the door.

IF You Think About It.. The default setting is Passenger doors and Boot will not be opened unless the driver is in the car and opens his door or presses the global unlock button  This is to prevent say.. a young child trying to inadvertantly open the passenger doors or open the tailgate..However this can be changed in the settings menu.If However the passenger door handle is acivated twice this will open the appropriate door under any circumstance...

Tailgate button has to be held rather than a single press, and it only works if the doors are unlocked. 

You can set the doors to unlock when the park button is pressed / engine is turned off. 

1 hour ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

IF You Think About It.. The default setting is Passenger doors and Boot will not be opened unless the driver is in the car and opens his door or presses the global unlock button  This is to prevent say.. a young child trying to  open the passenger doors or open the tailgate..However this can be changed in the settings menu.If However the passenger door handle is acivated twice this will open the appropriate door under any circumstance...

Thank you Ronnie and others ; Yes...... I can fully understand the reason given. No children in mine as passengers as now all to OLD !!

Please can you guide me through in changing the settings menu so that I do not need to press the global button and passenger can exit easily.

Thanks again people

As LenT said, you just need to press Park and then the passenger can open the door. Agree that I also have an issue with not being able to see the boot button in the dark.

18 hours ago, Mobeam said:

Please can you guide me through in changing the settings menu so that I do not need to press the global button and passenger can exit easily.

On the Infotainment system, choose "Settings" then "Vehicle customize" then "Door control" then choose your desired option for the "Auto unlock" setting.

This procedure can be seen in practice by watching the "2023 - 2022 Lexus NX Deep Dive Tutorial Part 2" video on YouTube (fast forward to approximately 1:27:31 in the video):-

Hope this helps.

Ok .....so have changed the doors settings to unlock when "P' is selected and try that for a while. 

After some 50 years of car ownership starting to feel a complete 'non-tech' novice when having to ask about how to lock/ unlock car doors !!!

Thank you again guys for your guidance from helpful people who use the car daily.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mobeam said:

Ok .....so have changed the doors settings to unlock when "P' is selected and try that for a while. 

After some 50 years of car ownership starting to feel a complete 'non-tech' novice when having to ask about how to lock/ unlock car doors !!!

Thank you again guys for your guidance from helpful people who use the car daily.

The more complicated the cars get with a lot of more or less smart possibilities, the more unusable the manuals get. Lexus do not know how to make manuals; they translate the Japanese through Chinese to whichever language they want it in through Google. Same as Lexus software. They do not have competent personnel to make things intuitive and the navigation system, which they think they can do by themselves instead of having Garmin or some competent company to help, is a complete disaster.

Luckily the hardware from Lexus is of extremely good quality, so we will learn to live with the strange ways something does function.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links