Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Insurance offers a free secondary immobiliser

I've just received a very delayed letter (thanks royal mail) from Lexus insurance offering a free of charge[1] immobiliser for my 2020 RX.

Sounds like they've been getting more claims they say "Recent trends in our insurance claims database indicate a concerning increase in theft rates for premium segment vehicles." which leaves me wondering if the CAN bus hack is getting more common.

I'm going to take them up on this and I'll find out which immobiliser they're using.

For those with other insurers might be worth getting an immobiliser or a steering wheel lock.

[1] Obviously not really free as it's coming out our premiums.

• Like 8

That's interesting Peter, how do you find the cost of their premiums? Last time I checked they seemed quite expensive, at least for me anyway.

Would  be nice if they offered a free catalytic converter shield 🙂

• Like 3

Thanks for the heads-up on this Peter.

My 2022 NX is insured with Lexus Insurance so I'll be interested to hear if they will extend the same offer to me.

Please keep us informed on how it works out.

@Bluemarlin - with regards to the cost of their premiums, I didn't find them any more expensive compared to my previous insurer's renewal quote or anything offered by the online comparison sites so I took the plunge. It's up for renewal next month so we'll see what happens then with regards to cost comparison as to whether I renew. 

Obviously insurance premium costs are very subjective so your experience may vary.

• Like 2

I had this letter yesterday too for my 2018 NX. Will be taking up the offer, clearly - came here to check if others had it through.

I've always justified what is perhaps a slightly higher premium through Lexus Ins by the fact that the car goes to Lexus for the repairs. When I was with another insurer previously, they wanted the car to go to their approved repairer, which wasn't my choice and IIRC I had to pay the excess for the privilege of having work done by Lexus on a no fault accident.

My local dealer (Woodford) now have their own bodyshop too, which should make things easier in future - hoping obvs that I had no need.

Looks like it comes with a fairly chunky key fob to add to the key ring, but I guess, small price to pay for extra security.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 2:32 PM, Bluemarlin said:

That's interesting Peter, how do you find the cost of their premiums? Last time I checked they seemed quite expensive, at least for me anyway.

I did find them a bit more expensive than some of the other quotes last time, I think of the order of 10-15%, but I seem to recall that some of the cheaper ones required black boxes to analyse driving styles. I do like the use of Lexus for repairs which I feel a bit happier with at this stage in the cars life, my only complaint is the somewhat short EU insurance (three days IIRC)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay just had the immobiliser installed. It's a unit made by AvMap called the PIN4i TIS immoblizer.

https://support.avmap.it/tis-immobilizer/UK

This page has some Lexus insurance branding (seems it's also being used in Germany too)
I'm not quite sure if there is any other telematics from the box going back to Lexus insurance?

Time to install was around one and half hours. The key fob can also be powered via the USB socket in the car which is handy if the Battery dies (it's a CR2032). There is a QR code on the key which links to the instructions for future.

My only annoyance is with the fob the whole thing is too big for my Faraday boxes.

Installer reckons this is to fix the CAN bus hack via the wheel arch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

If this is the unit, quite interesting...

https://telematics.avmap.it/en/telematics/4dblackbox_immobilizer

Difficult to be sure to be honest, my guess is the manual and the hardware has been customised for Lexus vehicles. I suppose I could ask Lexus insurance as I'd assume they are the Data Controller?

Just came back to report that I'd just had mine fitted and to share details but @PeterI has beaten me to it by a couple of days.

Seems fairly straightforward, but the fob is mahoosive, added to the car key, apple AirTag, steering lock key and the dealer fob, it's quite a bunch on the keyring. But hey-ho, if it makes it more secure, that's what we have to live with.

The installer said that even if someone manages to start the vehicle through whatever vulnerability this seems to be there to fix, it will stop driving in a matter of seconds.

Also worth noting he said that if you sit in the car for more than 10 mins without starting it, you need to open the door for 10 secs to reactivate the search for the fob to then be able to start it (though the instructions seem to suggest 21 mins). Stuff like this I need to relay to the wife to avoid any confusion.

Also interesting on the telematics point; the manual points to needing GSM coverage, which would suggest that it's certainly possible to be tracking the vehicle/device - whether it is is another matter - will email Lexus ins and ask.

Info on what has actually been installed is rather thin on the ground (read; non-existent), which is fine if you are not an inquisitive so-and-so like me who has a lot of time on their hands 😬..

The installer and I did have a bit of a chuckle about the person who asked him if they could just leave the fob plugged into the USB socket because it was really bulky on their keyring - I guess this will be a risk with something as chunky as it is and someone who doesn't understand what the thing is being fitted for 🤣

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, StGeorge said:

The installer and I did have a bit of a chuckle about the person who asked him if they could just leave the fob plugged into the USB socket because it was really bulky on their keyring - I guess this will be a risk with something as chunky as it is and someone who doesn't understand what the thing is being fitted for 

Thanks to @PeterI and @StGeorge for their feedback on the unit. I haven't received anything from Lexus Insurance about this (even though I renewed with them a few days ago) so I might give them a call to see if I can get one too. 

May I ask a bit more about the device setup please? Am I right in saying that you need to plug the fob into the USB socket to start the car? If so then does it leave you with one less USB socket for other things? And is it the USB-A socket that gets used? Apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree here. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andy B said:

May I ask a bit more about the device setup please? Am I right in saying that you need to plug the fob into the USB socket to start the car? If so then does it leave you with one less USB socket for other things? And is it the USB-A socket that gets used? Apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree here. 

The USB usage is just a backup option in case the CR2032 Battery in the fob dies. Beyond that, in normal usage, it's just an extra fob on your key ring and the car just starts as normal. Suspect most of the stuff the installer went through is irrelevant for most users who get in the car, drive, get out the car lock it <and repeat>.

I didn't ask, but assume that the fob needs to remain in the USB for the duration of the journey where the fob Battery has died as the fob normally needs to be in the car for the duration of the journey.

And, yes, it's the USB-A socket that I was told to use (probably another rabbit hole I could go down is seeing if it would work just plugged into a USB hub plugged into the cigarette lighter socket in the arm of our NX, but that's a level I'll resist for now!)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Andy B said:

I haven't received anything from Lexus Insurance about this (even though I renewed with them a few days ago) so I might give them a call to see if I can get one too.

I wonder if there are certain vehicles/model years that are particularly vulnerable, thus they are prioritising these? Be interesting to see if you call them, what their answer is.

4 minutes ago, StGeorge said:

I wonder if there are certain vehicles/model years that are particularly vulnerable, thus they are prioritising these? Be interesting to see if you call them, what their answer is.

Hmmm.... that may be the case. I'll give them a call today and report back. 

3 hours ago, StGeorge said:

Just gave them a call and the guy I spoke to hadn't heard of this offering at all. He put me on hold for a few minutes while he checked with colleagues but the answer came back the same. All he could do was suggest that I speak to my local dealer about it - to which I explained that I believe it's a Lexus Insurance initiative rather than the dealers. Anyway, not wishing to labour the point, I left it there.

C'est la vie.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/15/2023 at 3:52 PM, StGeorge said:

I had a 20 rx f sport,takumi pack. It was stolen dec 22. Then Lexus insurance paid out & I got a 21 same spec, I had a letter about the new immobiliser after car was stolen. Then called & talked to the head of that dept offering it.he told me it had been used in Europe for 18 months & not one car has been stolen with it fitted. So Telling him I’m purchasing another & can it be fitted before I collect the car. To which they done with no problem, in the morning I collected it. I also put a disklok on every night for a bit more piece of mind. 
next month my insurance renewal is due & I’m worried it’s goner go through the roof. Even though I had no claims protected. 
Im thinking shall I get a tracker fitted to help with the increase that’s obviously coming? And is any recommended?? 
thanx 

Why is it that manufacturers build a car with an inherent defect and then do little to rectify the issue leaving owners to pay for additional security measures to protect the vehicle from theft and face increased insurance premiums through no fault of their own.

Sure it is good to hear that the brand insurance is offering free immobilisers, although apparently not widely advertised, but this still leaves owners covered by 3rd party insurers venerable to theft of their vehicle unless they pay out of their own pockets for additional security.

Is this 2nd immobiliser the Lexus Enhanced Security System with the little Bluetooth dongle & also linked to the Lexus smart phone app? 

There is also the Toyota version of the same system.

If it is then don't put to much faith in it, it will stop an average car thief but a professional if they know its fitted it will slow them down a couple of minutes tops. 

On 1/14/2023 at 2:32 PM, Bluemarlin said:

There is no reason whatsoever to have the cat so easily accessible. But moving the cat's on cars already sold will not happen.

Then if you think about how many years cat's have been stolen and why on newer cars they are still just under the car where needed is to cut it out, it may be something that has little interest being solved.

Much better to sell shields and profit on installing them.

Some think Lexus already have made their laurels and are now more interested in selling Toyota cars. Easy to understand. As far as I have read in the forum here the first LS was the best ever made; the following 5 - 10 years after 2000 same perfection has never been acchieved / made - and maybe on purpose.

I do not speak like a Lexus owner? The CT is a fine little car with many things going for it and if it last till a hydrogen car in tiny enough size to fit us it has served it's purpose. Seems though that cars are steadily increasing size while parking places become further between, but if that is what can be sold, not much for us to do about that.

48 minutes ago, Toyota Owner said:

Is this 2nd immobiliser the Lexus Enhanced Security System with the little bluetooth dongle & also linked to the Lexus smart phone app? 

There is also the Toyota version of the same system.

If it is then don't put to much faith in it, it will stop an average car thief but a professional if they know its fitted it will slow them down a couple of minutes tops. 

No. It’s an immobiliser & not linked to an app.

21 minutes ago, Djf said:

No. It’s an immobiliser & not linked to an app.

Strange that Lexus UK are not fitting there own official accessory for the UK & European market 🤔 

The system is currently listed for the following Toyota / Lexus products

RAV4    2018/11 FMC Gen 5, 2020/06 Plug-in Hybrid
Toyota C-HR    2019/10 MMC Gen 1
NX    2021/09 FMC Gen2
RX    2022/10 FMC Gen 7

The Enhanced Security System has an additional dongle / device key - Lexus one shown below

LSS.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links