Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New brake pad recommendations - (a story!)

Hi all, I’m in need of new front brake pads.

The existing ones (Lexus OEM) started squeaking badly. I’d only been pootling about for several weeks, so thought that driving it more, and harder would be the answer…. (Which has always worked before!)

It appears there was a stone or some other debris lodged in the pad material, which has broken up somewhat and developed a groove in the friction material. This seems to have caused a slightly raised area on the disc. Unfortunately, it took me two weeks (work, other duties, and very poor weather!) to get round to jacking the car up and taking the brakes apart to have a look. The raised bits on the disc are light at present, hopefully with new pads the disc will even itself out, and all will be well. As it is, i gave the pads a good going over with some sandpaper to remove any debris that might remain, and put everything back together again.

Lexus OEM are currently around £450 for a front set, which is quite high. Anyone got any experience with other brands? I’m thinking EBC Yellowstuff (£145) might be what I’m after - usual commuting driving, with a few spirited journeys thrown in. 

E9EE7259-4597-48B1-B1AA-DB4686BCF3EB.jpeg

B0DAD5AD-70CD-46FE-BF0C-3CDBECBADCA6.jpeg

9A217DAC-839B-461B-BBCE-A037523C9A74.jpeg

I have used EBC redstuff as the OEM dust and squeal were unbearable from the minute I owned it. They are 'OEM like' performance with no squeal and much less dust. Can't see there being a problem with the Yellow stuff just being a level up. There are others out there, which I'm sure others will recommend, guess it depends how fancy you want to get 😆.

Thanks @hockeyedwards, that's exactly the kind of advice I was after.

I think I'm going to go for the Yellowstuff pads - from some reading, it'll mean that a trackday is always possible, but there might be a bit more brake dust than the reds. Still, can't possibly be dustier than the OEM pads, can they?

51 minutes ago, mrfunex said:

Thanks @hockeyedwards, that's exactly the kind of advice I was after.

I think I'm going to go for the Yellowstuff pads - from some reading, it'll mean that a trackday is always possible, but there might be a bit more brake dust than the reds. Still, can't possibly be dustier than the OEM pads, can they?

The OEMs really are/ were the dustiest of dusty boys 🤣

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

If you got the redstuff pads would Lexus fit them instead of the oem? Or would they refuse?

I’ve never had a problem with my local Lexus garage fitting bits and bobs, but in this case, I’ll be changing them myself. 

Thanks @Killysprint - I've gone for the Yellowstuff as I think they cover the use they're likely to get according to the manufacturers blurb.

Even if they're not suitable, I can nearly get 3 sets of EBC pads for the same price as a single set of the OEM Brembos... certainly worth experimenting.

PS - everyone knows black GSFs are the fastest! :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mrfunex said:

PS - everyone knows black GSFs are the fastest! :thumbsup:

😂 yeah same goes for black RCFs 👍🏻 i intially was going to change out my yellow stuff due to dust, but once they are bedded in and a bit of use they aren’t too bad, your first few days youll be cursing the amount of dust they produce but it calms down a bit afterwards, shows up a bit more on my alloys as they’re all black

847947AF-A734-47DC-9F9F-D1E13E89E807.jpeg

In both cases its likely down to the higher friction top coating EBC put put on their pads. This is to give bite from the off whilst they bed in. I used blue stuff on a track day, very dusty but excellent once warm. Not really to be used on roads, got Reds going in soon as it warms up enough to keep my fingers whilst doing the job lol 

• Haha 2

• 11 months later...

Thread resurrection time...for a facelift RCF (although understand the brake setup is same as pre) - are people still recommending red or yellow stuff brake pads over OEM. Do these work with the wear sensor?

Not urgent but was mentioned at recent service (front pads only) so thought I would be prepared. OEM is around 440 GBP plus fitting

I recommend Red Stuff for daily driving, if you plan any track days go Yellow - though they do report to be a lot more dusty than Red.

Yes, both of these pads from EBC have the little notch in them to accept the OEM wear sensors.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BillNick said:

I recommend Red Stuff for daily driving, if you plan any track days go Yellow - though they do report to be a lot more dusty than Red.

Yes, both of these pads from EBC have the little notch in them to accept the OEM wear sensors.

Many thanks Billy, will look these up. Sounds like a better option as I have found the OEM to be quite dusty anwyay. No trackdays so will look at red.

Happy new year!

I cant comment on dust vs OEM as I have not had OEM pads in the 3 years of ownership.

However the level of dust from the Red Stuff is satisfactory for a performance car and I have read feedback from other owners that they are better vs OEM.

One thing you do NOT get if you grease up correctly is squeal - OEM can be bad for that I am told.

If you need any pointers for fitting, DM me. Its easy!

Just ordered the red.

Many thanks for the fitting advice but think I will leave this job to a professional 🙂

I can use some of the money I have saved over OEM ha!

Pretty much as Billy has said, Reds for daily, Yellows if you want occasional track day.

The dust-reduction (ha) is massive in comparison to OEM. At first the reds gave me a lot of dust but the little booklet says they bed in for 200 miles and I would agree the dust dropped off significantly after a week of driving.

• Thanks 1

@RCF Fan depending age and mileage of your car to date, you might find new hardware for the calipers is due. It will also compliment your shiny new pad install.

Lexus want c£99 for each side! But fear not, a few of us purchased a full set from Rock Auto (no affiliation) for a fraction of the cost $15, despite shipping from US.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lexus,2015,rc+f,5.0l+v8,3310304,brake+&+wheel+hub,disc+brake+hardware+kit,1736

I bought the Carlson brand, but cheaper variants are available now...

8 hours ago, BillNick said:

@RCF Fan depending age and mileage of your car to date, you might find new hardware for the calipers is due. It will also compliment your shiny new pad install.

Lexus want c£99 for each side! But fear not, a few of us purchased a full set from Rock Auto (no affiliation) for a fraction of the cost $15, despite shipping from US.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lexus,2015,rc+f,5.0l+v8,3310304,brake+&+wheel+hub,disc+brake+hardware+kit,1736

I also replaced mine but couldn’t stomach the Lexus UK price so sourced them from Japan:

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/049470w020

£135 for all 4 corners including shipping. Took about 10 days to arrive

Just fitted my EBC redstuff pads at the weekend and am pleased to report initial bite being improved.  Only done 50 miles or so however so could just be the coating….. took about 1hr to do in total.

My car is 5yr old, 30,000 miles and found everything came apart easily, gave the fittings a wire brush and grease before refitting and it all went back together, good as new.  I can imagine once the pads have been done a few times there may be a requirement for new pins etc however as they do need a tap with a punch to come apart and as the clearance is tight, any deformation could cause problems.

The wear indicators were also a doodle and I wouldn’t expect that they will need replacing any time soon unless the pad thickness gets too low, in which case they are damaged.  Would guess that this would occur once you get to something like 3mm of pad left.

Would highly recommend Redstuff pads to anyone on the fence.

On 1/16/2024 at 12:08 PM, BillNick said:

@BillNick Many thanks for the advice. I'd already ordered red stuff direct from EBC (arrived very quickly) and had a local garage fit them so all good. Decent saving over OEM. Not used the car really since and currently travelling so absolutely no idea if they are any good or not. Not worried as the consensus is that they are a good road pad.

In other news, just hit the 4yr mark, fresh service with Lexus and MOT. Now, tempted to look at lowering springs....if only to bring the front down a little as I think the back looks fine

20 hours ago, RCF Fan said:

In other news, just hit the 4yr mark, fresh service with Lexus and MOT. Now, tempted to look at lowering springs....if only to bring the front down a little as I think the back looks fine

Can’t recommend Swift springs enough, really good and no reliability issues whatsoever.  

7 hours ago, RCF Fan said:

Thanks Marcus, good to know - did you do both front and rear? Any issues with underground car parks and road humps etc?

Initially tried just the fronts but looked a bit ‘nose down’.  Interestingly it did rub more like that too on occasion.    Dropping all 4 corners cured any rubbing so don’t tend to have issues at all…

Occasionally a particularly big speed bump or large lump in the road may make a very light rub but I do have spacers also so the offset of the wheel may bring it a tad closer to the arch liner.

I wouldn’t consider it an issue so if that’s your only concern just do it.

One thing to consider on an AVS car is that the electrical connection to the damper is through the top damper nut and it’s delicate.  Need a ring spanner with an offset to tighten properly.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links