Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speeding notice with NX 300H for driving at 28MPH instead of 20MPH (in London) & my Rants!

Nico72

Hi all,

My wife just received by post her speeding notice for driving on Scrubs Lane A219 at 28mph instead of 20mph - we do not know what will happen next as she was asked to fill in a form confirming the name of the driver who made this offense. I reckon she could end up having 3 points on her licence with a fine.

Honestly, it is utterly ridiculous. This is a long wide straight road to Hammersmith and if anyone is driving at 20mph, you will feel like you are not driving at all - a few months ago it was 30mph (as it has been for years!!). Why are they doing this? It is beyond me.

London Mayor has imposed 20 mph zones in lots of places and mainly towards central London and it is becoming a farce and a money pit machine ripping people off. The Police have a van catching all motorists on this road now, so I guess they are making huge amount of money wherever possible. It is disgusting and it makes me mad.

We are living in a Woke era full of crazy people deciding to make changes from what was working before. 4 lanes have gone to 1 lane, so traffic is horrendous in many parts of London. School restricted zone streets are active in many boroughs in London, so if you happen to drive past a school and there is a restricted zone, you will end up getting a parking tickets sent to your home address to pay £130 fine. Driving in London is becoming less enjoyable nowadays. Many businesses are already feeling the impact with the introduction of ULEZ expansion and the Congestion Charge is killing businesses in Central London. But the Mayor will not care. He hates cars that is quite clear and wants to make it harder and harder for anyone to enjoy driving our own vehicle. I really feel sorry for anyone who drives a sports car in London, as they are in serious peril to risk speeding notices in all kind of places... Our roads are in bad shapes will pot holes in lots of them. I drive daily avoiding a number of them for weeks now. The London Mayor should concentrate making our road worthy again not restricting lanes, or speed limits (when roads are safe to drive 30mph!!), or even put speed bumps (that is another one I hate!!). Speed bump is the MAIN REASON why people get SUV! So Council hates SUVs but they have done nothing to convince people not to buy them. Speed bump is a very good and valid reason to have an SUV for my liking. If they were bringing our roads to be smooth without speed bumps, people would certainly consider normal cars over SUVs... I am fed up of these non-sense stupidities. Instead of speed bump have average speed camera, that would work for me and many people. I think it is bloody time to bring back what roads are meant to be! They should be prioritised for cars. I don't want to talk about cyclists as they are another problem on the list, never stopping on the traffic light is one that I find frustrating or coming in front of your car at the traffic light so you cannot drive until they move... We are moving backward in my opinion and it will get much worst. I would not be surprised if they reduced the speed from 20pmh to 15 mph in a few years from now on. we might as well walk and get the car moving with us like a pet with our automated app on the mobile phone... We are not that far to be that stupid!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Nico72 said:

Hi all,

My wife just received by post her speeding notice for driving on Scrubs Lane A219 at 28mph instead of 20mph - we do not know what will happen next as she was asked to fill in a form confirming the name of the driver who made this offense. I reckon she could end up having 3 points on her licence with a fine.

Honestly, it is utterly ridiculous. This is a long wide straight road to Hammersmith and if anyone is driving at 20mph, you will feel like you are not driving at all - a few months ago it was 30mph (as it has been for years!!). Why are they doing this? It is beyond me.

London Mayor has imposed 20 mph zones in lots of places and mainly towards central London and it is becoming a farce and a money pit machine ripping people off. The Police have a van catching all motorists on this road now, so I guess they are making huge amount of money wherever possible. It is disgusting and it makes me mad.

We are living in a Woke era full of crazy people deciding to make changes from what was working before. 4 lanes have gone to 1 lane, so traffic is horrendous in many parts of London. School restricted zone streets are active in many boroughs in London, so if you happen to drive past a school and there is a restricted zone, you will end up getting a parking tickets sent to your home address to pay £130 fine. Driving in London is becoming less enjoyable nowadays. Many businesses are already feeling the impact with the introduction of ULEZ expansion and the Congestion Charge is killing businesses in Central London. But the Mayor will not care. He hates cars that is quite clear and wants to make it harder and harder for anyone to enjoy driving our own vehicle. I really feel sorry for anyone who drives a sports car in London, as they are in serious peril to risk speeding notices in all kind of places... Our roads are in bad shapes will pot holes in lots of them. I drive daily avoiding a number of them for weeks now. The London Mayor should concentrate making our road worthy again not restricting lanes, or speed limits (when roads are safe to drive 30mph!!), or even put speed bumps (that is another one I hate!!). Speed bump is the MAIN REASON why people get SUV! So Council hates SUVs but they have done nothing to convince people not to buy them. Speed bump is a very good and valid reason to have an SUV for my liking. If they were bringing our roads to be smooth without speed bumps, people would certainly consider normal cars over SUVs... I am fed up of these non-sense stupidities. Instead of speed bump have average speed camera, that would work for me and many people. I think it is bloody time to bring back what roads are meant to be! They should be prioritised for cars. I don't want to talk about cyclists as they are another problem on the list, never stopping on the traffic light is one that I find frustrating or coming in front of your car at the traffic light so you cannot drive until they move... We are moving backward in my opinion and it will get much worst. I would not be surprised if they reduced the speed from 20pmh to 15 mph in a few years from now on. we might as well walk and get the car moving with us like a pet with our automated app on the mobile phone... We are not that far to be that stupid!

I understand what you say and agree with most of what you say.. But be aware, exceeding the speed limit by 40% is likely to be more than 3 points. I got 6 points and a £1000 fine foe doing 28% over the limit on a deserted M5 in the middle of the night. When/if she gets the summons I would seek the advice of a solicitor because these days motorists are the devil

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, John Adams said:

I understand what you say and agree with most of. But be aware, exceeding the speed limit by 40% is likely to be more than 3 points. I got 6 points and a £1000 fine foe doing 28% over the limit on a derted M% in the middle of the night. When/if she gets the summons I would seek the advice of a solicitor because these days motorists are the devil

Should gave said deserted M5 Not sure if you can edit posts

Sadiq Khan's traffic plans for London are pure revenue raisers as TfL has been mismanaged and is in huge debt.  TfL admits that reducing speed restrictions will increase fine income, indeed they have targeted a figure of 1 million prosecutions per year for speeding.

The extension of the ULEZ zone is another revenue raiser but the ramifications to all low income earners and small businesses will be crippling. The Mayor doesn't care, he simply wants to show that he can balance the books before he leaves office. It's illogical, unnecessary, impractical and down right undemocratic as most citizens in London Boroughs will agree.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John Adams said:

Should gave said deserted M5 Not sure if you can edit posts

Just click on the 3-dashes top right of your post and select the option ...

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 14.16.45.png

• Like 2

Itll be 3 points and a £100 fine. Might even get away with a speed awareness course

Its a relatively minor offense in the grand scheme of things and classes as a Band A speeding offence according to the sentencing guidelines. Most of these are handled by the local police team rather than going to court.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/speeding-revised-2017/

You know why they do it though, and its simply because its a cash cow. It generates a lot of money for the council

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thanks everyone. I agree it is a cash cow machine needed to get all the incomes it can get. Awful. We use the Police to do that rather than catching real criminals...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sundance said:

Sadiq Khan's traffic plans for London are pure revenue raisers as TfL has been mismanaged and is in huge debt.  TfL admits that reducing speed restrictions will increase fine income, indeed they have targeted a figure of 1 million prosecutions per year for speeding.

The extension of the ULEZ zone is another revenue raiser but the ramifications to all low income earners and small businesses will be crippling. The Mayor doesn't care, he simply wants to show that he can balance the books before he leaves office. It's illogical, unnecessary, impractical and down right undemocratic as most citizens in London Boroughs will agree.

I agree with your comment and it is an absolute scandal to be in such situation. He is by far the worst London Mayor. He should have concentrated in punishing knife crimes, and made every possible way to improve our roads not reducing the width and lanes. We live in a large city with over 9 million Londoners and they keep building high rise buildings everywhere so more people will be living in congested areas and it means more cars on the road. So how could they think for one second that the roads need to be reduced?? It does not make any sense. We can see Ambulance, Police, Fire Brigade struggling to move around in emergencies. The other day, I drove on Regent St in Central London and it used to be 2 lanes on either side, now it has been reduced to one lane so the bus is on the same lane and cars have to wait for the bus to stop, as no possibility of overtaking it because they spent a fortune raising the kurbs on pavements in the middle of the road so have to stay on your lane or you scrap the side of your car... This is utter madness. Another example: Hyde Park Corner, is now a 20mph road towards Marble Arch (it used to be 40mph for years!!) and down to 1 lane for all cars (it used to be 4 lanes!) so you begin with the 4 lanes at the round about of Hyde Park and then you have to wait for your turn to join the only one lane to drive all the way up to Marble Arch. They prioritised one lane for the cyclist, one lane for the bus and one lane that has been converted into wider pavement. Absolutely stupid in my opinion. So nothing is moving and emergency services cannot get through. Where is the logic in this? And it is 20mph... The world has gone mad.

Cannot agree more with these comments. Driving in any of the London Borough's we all need to be so aware with this increasingly aggressive approach from the Mayor towards motorists when a simple honest mistake leads to a fine.

My 2012 RX450H has the original Maps on Sat Nav & the most common is that of reduced speed limits with apparently no consultation or notice. Ducks Hill Road, Ruislip  was always 60MPH two successive reductions now put this to 40 MPH. My Sat Nav shows the 60 MPH This road does not have a bad record for accidents, this is replicated throughout London. I find when I drive now questioning myself what law have I inadvertently broken particularly if I am in an unfamiliar part of town.

Interestingly being close to the Greater London border with Hertfordshire there does not appear to be evidence to suggest that Herefordshire is taking this response.

Change.org have a petition details below if anyone is interested further

Stop Sadiq Khan expanding the ULEZ to all the London borough 2023

DnijkWXqBapYtuC-800x450-noPad.jpg?164657
default-avatar-gray-128.svg
Tim Rowling started this petition to UK Parliament and 2 others

The mayor, Sadiq Khan has asked Transport for London to launch a consultation on expanding the Ulez from its current boundary of the North and South Circular roads to cover all 33 boroughs.

Sadiq Khan is planning to push the extension of the London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) to all the London boroughs. This will price working Londoners off the roads and cause the scrapage of perfectly good cars causing a terrible impact on the environment  !! 
Extending the Ultra Low Emission Zone even further than to the current north and south circular limit will mean anyone OUTSIDE the zone will have to pay : £12.50 for cars, vans and motorbikes to drive in the zone, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year..

OUTER LONDON IS RESIDENTIAL & should NOT be subject to the ULEZ ..

EVEN IF YOU LIVE NOWHERE NEAR LONDON PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION BECAUSE : ONCE THIS IS PASSED IN LONDON IT WILL BE COMING TO MORE TOWNS/CITIES

You can read a newspaper article about it here:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ulez-ultra-low-emission-zone-expand-greater-london-sadiq-khan-b986027.html?amp

I have friends that have recently purchased cars on finance that will not be compliant, but will be trapped as they can’t afford to upgrade them..

Others that would have to pay £12.50 to visit sick relatives, this is simply not acceptable..

190,152 have signed. Let’s get to 200,000!

green-buzzworthy.svg
At 200,000 signatures, this petition becomes one of the top signed on Change.org!

Recent signers

Malcolm Webb signed 43 seconds ago
Ruth Dartford signed 51 seconds ago
COuvWMdaTxxxbDW-48x48-noPad.jpg?15879207
Belinda Oconnell Gray signed 8 minutes ago
jerry Agbenyo signed 22 minutes ago
Carol Benham signed 25 minutes ago
Faustina Gyan signed 34 minutes ago

Report a policy violation
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Frank the Hornet said:

Cannot agree more with these comments. Driving in any of the London Borough's we all need to be so aware with this increasingly aggressive approach from the Mayor towards motorists when a simple honest mistake leads to a fine.

My 2012 RX450H has the original Maps on Sat Nav & the most common is that of reduced speed limits with apparently no consultation or notice. Ducks Hill Road, Ruislip  was always 60MPH two successive reductions now put this to 40 MPH. My Sat Nav shows the 60 MPH This road does not have a bad record for accidents, this is replicated throughout London. I find when I drive now questioning myself what law have I inadvertently broken particularly if I am in an unfamiliar part of town.

Interestingly being close to the Greater London border with Hertfordshire there does not appear to be evidence to suggest that Herefordshire is taking this response.

Change.org have a petition details below if anyone is interested further

Stop Sadiq Khan expanding the ULEZ to all the London borough 2023

DnijkWXqBapYtuC-800x450-noPad.jpg?164657
Tim Rowling started this petition to UK Parliament and 2 others

The mayor, Sadiq Khan has asked Transport for London to launch a consultation on expanding the Ulez from its current boundary of the North and South Circular roads to cover all 33 boroughs.

Sadiq Khan is planning to push the extension of the London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) to all the London boroughs. This will price working Londoners off the roads and cause the scrapage of perfectly good cars causing a terrible impact on the environment  !! 
Extending the Ultra Low Emission Zone even further than to the current north and south circular limit will mean anyone OUTSIDE the zone will have to pay : £12.50 for cars, vans and motorbikes to drive in the zone, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year..

OUTER LONDON IS RESIDENTIAL & should NOT be subject to the ULEZ ..

EVEN IF YOU LIVE NOWHERE NEAR LONDON PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION BECAUSE : ONCE THIS IS PASSED IN LONDON IT WILL BE COMING TO MORE TOWNS/CITIES

You can read a newspaper article about it here:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ulez-ultra-low-emission-zone-expand-greater-london-sadiq-khan-b986027.html?amp

I have friends that have recently purchased cars on finance that will not be compliant, but will be trapped as they can’t afford to upgrade them..

Others that would have to pay £12.50 to visit sick relatives, this is simply not acceptable..

190,152 have signed. Let’s get to 200,000!

green-buzzworthy.svg
At 200,000 signatures, this petition becomes one of the top signed on Change.org!

Recent signers

Malcolm Webb signed 43 seconds ago
Ruth Dartford signed 51 seconds ago
COuvWMdaTxxxbDW-48x48-noPad.jpg?15879207
Belinda Oconnell Gray signed 8 minutes ago
jerry Agbenyo signed 22 minutes ago
Carol Benham signed 25 minutes ago
Faustina Gyan signed 34 minutes ago

Report a policy violation

I agree with you 100%. It is such an agressive move and really is so unfair to all motorists. Government wants people to own cars but they don't want them to use them in principle. If this goes on too far, the car industry will also suffer badly, if not already suffering due to the recession we are going to be bearing this year. If they really want to remove all barriers and help us get on with our lives without the hassles they have created, it will surely be bringing confidence back for all motorists to drive around without fear of getting fines. I personally would remove the ULEZ as it is not the way forward. They want people to drive cleaner cars, give incentive for them to buy cars offering money towards purchase of a new or used vehicle. Remove crazy parking fees and allow cars to par for the first 2 hours for free in central London, would be a sensible approach to help businesses thrive. if a car stays longer than 2 hours, then charge the full fee automatically - this would tell the driver that we are acting fairly. Remove all speed bumps to bring back the smooth roads, and have the average speed cameras instead if roads have been subjects to road car accidents. bring back all our lanes desperately needed. Bus lane priority, should be spared if traffic is densed. Make our roads for cars as initially intended to be. That is the way to bring our economy going. Get traffic moving, and you get more things done. If road work takes place - impose strict deadlines to minimise interruption to 48 hours max and get companies to work on the clock day and night if need be. Take the example of Japan - they can fix roads in 24 hours after gigantic hole appearance on the road. Get trains moving on time (just like in Japan) and if driver is 1 minute late, the driver would apologise in Japan! Get a whole different mindset altogether and work more as a collective and we can do immense things in this country. The thing is are we prepared to do this? I doubt it...

• Like 2

On 1/31/2023 at 2:11 PM, John Adams said:

I understand what you say and agree with most of what you say.. But be aware, exceeding the speed limit by 40% is likely to be more than 3 points. I got 6 points and a £1000 fine foe doing 28% over the limit on a deserted M5 in the middle of the night. When/if she gets the summons I would seek the advice of a solicitor because these days motorists are the devil

A grand for 90? F' me, I've been lucky then. 

As for the main topic, it's probably just a ripoff in Hammersmith, but it's a trend wide across Europe, particularly Germany. The difference perhaps is that there they do a decent job at sign posting this change, and also giving you the reason: noise control through residential areas. Much more problematic I find is that there is zero traffic policing in areas where it's actually quite dangerous to drive much above 20, like our neighbourhood: narrow streets, lots of parked cars, cyclists, e-scooter gangs, and many crossing pedestrians, including children and dogs. No speed cameras or posted police ever I can assure you. A few hundred metres away there is a speed camera between traffic lights where traffic flows in 2x2 separated lanes, no pedestrians, and there is another one a bit later just before leaving the city, four unidirectional lanes.

You will be given the option of taking a course no points on your license a cost is involved of a similar price to the fine if you took the points. You can choose where to take the course they are usually around 3 or 4 hrs allow for registration. Most can be done online nowadays they have made it very straightforward and easy. Your right its a cash cow. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links