Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Link

20 hours ago, Ken R said:

Friday has arrived and no resolution to the Lexus Link issues by the tech team in Belgium. Have been told it could take some time which is very disappointing say the least. Now contemplating selling as the combination of recalls and Link issues are taking the pleasure away from what is supposed to be a premium product. The upgrade for the exterior door handles to address the cold weather access issues I am told is imminent.

Hi Ken, this is such a disappointment!

my feelings are very similar to your own. These issues are spoiling the enjoyment of the car. 
I’m even more disappointed at Lexus inability to resolve them. I’ve owned the car for more than 14 months now and have been experiencing the same problems from day 1!

I’m down to Lexus Edinburgh on Wednesday and if faced with no progress will most likely have a vent and formally request escalation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks Alexander. Will be interested to know how you get on at Lexus Edinburgh who I also deal with. I ĥave given them a further week to solve the issues I am experiencing.

You will be pleased with the news that Lexus Dundee is due to open in the next year so a bit closer to you!

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 5:15 PM, Ken R said:

Now contemplating selling as the combination of recalls and Link issues are taking the pleasure away from what is supposed to be a premium product. 

Hi Ken,

I'm surprised to hear that you feel this way as I had a feeling from your many other posts on the forum that you were very satisfied with the car itself. What is it about the Lexus Link app particularly that is making you contemplate selling?

To me, the app is purely a "nice-to-have" add-on to owning the car. I could definitely live without it and still love the car. Admittedly I don't have the PHEV version so do not need the Battery charging aspects of the app. In fact, I don't use any of the other functionality such as pre-heating the car; remote lock; etc. so apart from the "last parked location" and past journey analysis (which, as we all know, is very hit and miss) I wouldn't use it at all.

I know that there have been a few recalls (I think mine has gone back to the dealer twice for these) but that hasn't bothered me much either.

Maybe I'm more easily satisfied 😉

• Like 2

Yes I agree that it's a great car but the Link app is all part of the ownership experience and it just doesn't work. I can't now for instance lock the car remotely as it says the vehicle is moving! Vehicle journeys are almost all being recorded and service history largely upbto date but vehicle location and date is invariably incorrect. It appears that they address one issue only for another that previously worked to fail. Toyota Europe who appear to give the technical backup are clearly inundated as I am told that a fix could "take some time". This isn't good enough on a £60k premium vehicle and the previous enviable reputation that Lexus enjoyed is under jeopardy. I appreciate that when you purchase a newly introduced model there is a risk that teething issues may arise but the recalls to date and those in the pipeline lead me to believe that the NX was launched prematurely. I await to hear the dealership update this week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, imgo said:

Does anyone know if the lexuslink app works OK with other models?

Is it an app issue? or a NX DCM issue?

That’s a very good question.

TBH I really don’t know. I can say however, the last time I was discussing my issues with the after sales manager, he demonstrated to me how the remote locking worked on his car using his phone. Needless to say it operated as intended, whilst mine doesn’t. 🤬

I have been writing software for over 40 years including software for interfacing to Renault, Toyota, Kia and Hyundai vehicles, it's not that hard to extract the correct raw data and transform it into usable information either way.

The app function unusability and errors are a disgrace really. 

To be fair - it has worked fine for me (350h). It doesn't always register trips but thats not a big deal. Used it a lot during the winter to pre-heat the car before the school run!

I have a feeling that it affects early production cars. Mine (450h+) was manufactured in Jan 22 and whilst the app initially worked ok (not all journeys logged but everything else working), features have slowly stopped working over time

since august last year the car position, fuel level, total mileage, remote heating and most recently the charge level/status have all stopped working. Not to mention the fuel flap not opening, the 2-3 recalls that it has been back for the experience of this Lexus has not been up to scratch compared to all of my previous ones

It was particularly galling during the cold weather to be receiving emails from Lexus saying “beat the cold start by using the remote heating” when it wouldn’t work with my car

The most difficult loss is the charge level and status as I used that a lot. All it  is showing now is the Battery at 50% and that it’s charging (it’s not) and the date of the last update was 24th April 2024 and has shown this for the last 2 months

Having worked in software fora long time I can only guess that the data being sent to the Lexus servers is either corrupted or an older version which the servers are mis-reading.

I cannot use the map update feature from the settings and the DCM symbol on the display is often crossed out indicating no connection. It used to have a strong connection all of the time and I live on the edge of a city with mobile phone masts at the end of my road so I don’t believe it’s a signal issue

My feeling is that it is probably an early production DCM issue on the NX as there is a DCM recall due that has been put on hold, a couple of people on Facebook have reported significant issues after having the update making the display unusable. That is yet another recall that mine will need to go back for sometime

I agree with @Ken R that the connectivity is a key part of the overall vehicle and whilst there car is great and I don’t think I’d consider selling just because of the app, it will influence my next purchase significantly.

• Like 1

I had the DCM recall work completed during the routine service last month. Most journeys are now being recorded and total mileage/range are correct. Its just the location, date and inability to lock/unlock the vehicle remotely that needs to be attended to. These functions were working previously but ceased to do so, some prior to and others after the software upgrade.

2 hours ago, Ken R said:

I had the DCM recall work completed during the routine service last month.

Had you received a letter for the DCM recall (XGG78)? I have been told that nothing can be done until a letter has been received so I am just waiting now

I am hopeful that things will eventually get sorted out, it is just very frustrating in the mean time

1 minute ago, SA1 said:

Had you received a letter for the DCM recall (XGG78)? I have been told that nothing can be done until a letter has been received so I am just waiting now

I am hopeful that things will eventually get sorted out, it is just very frustrating in the mean time

Sorry Ken, just ready your reply from early April that you hadn’t had the letter. That’ll teach me to look back first 😳

Have to say my app has been reasonably reliable from day 1 (Nov 22 delivery) Trip logging, preheat, charge scheduling all ok.  Whilst reading the forum over lunch today(over looking work car park) I decided to try the unlock feature.  App said "No" becoz car was locked with key or alarm set.  Ok, I think...can see the car, let's unlock with the key an see if I can try then lock with app.  Success!,....but wait, now the app won't recognise the car is locked again!  When I get home the app seems to have sorted itself out again so I try the whole process again. This time the locks and the app updates.  Success!, ...but wait, car won't unlock again becoz it was locked with key (which it wasn't) or alarm set (probably but how do you not do this?) Utterly useless!...but at least the rest seems to work for now....

So I had a near 300 mile round trip to my dealer yesterday to get fuel flap repair. I had also told them I wanted them to perform y code registration that Toyota Europe advised a month ago as a possible fix for the broken remote locking. Checking car in at the dealers, I was told nobody there knew what it was or how to do it. 🤬. Why, oh why didn’t they tell me that earlier and I could have postponed my visit until such time they were prepared. 

In the last week or so I’ve noticed some bubbling on the infotainment screen getting worse. I mentioned this yesterday and asked them to check it out. Apparently the protective film had been forgotten to be removed at PDI.

I am not impressed.

• Like 1

Very disappointing Alexander. I am awaiting an update on my Lexus Link issues. Have given them until tomorrow but I am not hopeful. I am told by an industry source that its an easy fix but don't know why Lexus aren't able to do this. Their reputation is being trashed by these issues.

Did they carry out the DCM update yesterday?

1 hour ago, Ken R said:

Very disappointing Alexander. I am awaiting an update on my Lexus Link issues. Have given them until tomorrow but I am not hopeful. I am told by an industry source that its an easy fix but don't know why Lexus aren't able to do this. Their reputation is being trashed by these issues.

Ken,

There are many bugs in the older MM19 system on my RX that they never bothered to fix (and could be fixed in a few hours work).  One of my personal favorites is that the up button on the steering wheel moves you down in the menu and the down moves up when selecting radio channels!  That would take seconds to fix in software but they never bothered.  I filed many bug reports and spoke to several people at customer relations.  They helped a bit (downgraded the software on my car to an older release that did not have the main bug I was complaining about where voice commands for mp3 on a memory stick was completely broken - but it did have others that were fixed in later versions.  Choose your poison...).  Eventually they told me they were not going to fix it.  Having spent a long time dealing with them over it, I thought to myself "I wonder what the new NX is going to be like when released?" (unfortunately I am reading that on this thread).  Of course mechanically they are still excellent cars, and very comfortable, but software is becoming a bigger and bigger component, and they seem to be struggling way more than is logical to handle these things.

Paul

• Thanks 1

Thanks Paul. That's is really disappointing and if it turns out to be the case with the new NX then they will have lost me as a customer. What is frustrating is that almost all the functions that I am complaining about were working perfectly well but don't now.

On 4/27/2023 at 6:38 PM, Ken R said:

No, they didn’t do the DCM update. They did mention that the forward looking radar software update was outstanding and they did confirm they took care of that.

Strange that they didn't do the DCM update. I believe that it had initially been suspended due to some issues which resulted in a few cars that  couldn't be driven and requiring new DCM units to be installed. These units were subsequently in short supply and a decision was therefore made to suspend the update until a stock  became available again. I also hear that there are a further couple of recalls imminent.☹️

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Ken R said:

Strange that they didn't do the DCM update. I believe that it had initially been suspended due to some issues which resulted in a few cars that  couldn't be driven and requiring new DCM units to be installed. These units were subsequently in short supply and a decision was therefore made to suspend the update until a stock  became available again. I also hear that there are a further couple of recalls imminent.☹️

Who would know why they didn’t do the DCM one. It’s hard to tell what’s been done since the service history is so poor. 
Im less concerned about the recalls, at least that’s them fixing or improving things and tbh, I did sort if expect it with a new model.

I am far from happy about the Lexus Link issues though. No one appears to have ownership of it. I feel very let down by the dealer, who give the impression that it is outwith their scope. 

• Like 1

I don’t blame the dealership really. They are there to look after the physical aspects of the car, and for centralised connectivity functions they will have very little access/influence over other than reporting issues from customers

i feel that Lexus itself should take ownership of the connectivity support as they are the ones who have access to the centralised systems that would allow them to identify and resolve problems

if the problems require physical fixes then that is where the dealers come into play

At the very least, and it would be normal in a software world, to have a number of beta testers who can report back issues in a structured way that they can then deal with in software updates, and even reach out to people who are having significant problems to work with them. Even if they asked for an NDA, it would be progress rather than the radio silence that we have at the moment 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My Lexus Link doesn't seem to be able to communicate reliably with my car any longer. The remote charging screen is giving the status as of 6th July 2024 and I can't lock the car (although it does tell me that the car is unlocked) or start the A/C remotely. I mean, it never really worked to give me the car's location (that too is reporting it's location on 6th July) but I could usually lock it and turn on the heating remotely. Is anybody else having similar problems? I've deleted and re-downloaded the app (Android) and loaded the app onto my other phone but the results are the same.

I've emailed my dealer - maybe they can point me in the right direction.

On 5/17/2023 at 5:25 PM, Roberta D said:

My Lexus link is not working does anyone havebthe number to call them 

Roberta

I don't believe there is a contact phone number but the email for the developer is lexuslinkapp@lexus-europe.com. However my experience is that you shouldn't hold your breath for a constructive reply.

You can see if you look at the user  comments in the app listing in the Google Play Store or the apple equivalent, the level of issues and dissatisfaction is significant.

Having just come from a Toyota RAV4, the issues with it's sister app MyT are just as unsatisfactory, and the apps are essentially the same with different banners.

1 hour ago, Gureamu said:

My Lexus Link doesn't seem to be able to communicate reliably with my car any longer. The remote charging screen is giving the status as of 6th July 2024 and I can't lock the car (although it does tell me that the car is unlocked) or start the A/C remotely. I mean, it never really worked to give me the car's location (that too is reporting it's location on 6th July) but I could usually lock it and turn on the heating remotely. Is anybody else having similar problems? I've deleted and re-downloaded the app (Android) and loaded the app onto my other phone but the results are the same.

I've emailed my dealer - maybe they can point me in the right direction.

My link app has slowly stopped working since November last year.  My charging has also been saying 24th April 2024 since February 2023.  My car location and mileage, which hadn't worked since the start of the issues, seem to be updating regularly now so I am hoping that things are starting to get better.

I think there are many people with similar issues, but it does not seem to affect all cars or all areas so it is very difficult to work out what could be going on.

I doubt the dealer will be able to help much as they have no access to the servers that the car communicates to, and the app will be managed by Lexus.

It is very frustrating as the connectivity is an increasingly important element to these cars, especially around Battery management etc, and it was most annoying to receive an email from Lexus to "pre-heat your car on these cold days" over the winter and the remote heating not working.

You are not alone with these issues, and I hope Lexus sort it out soon before too many give up and move elsewhere.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links