Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX 5th Gen Test Drive

Courtesy of Lexus Ipswich, I had the pleasure of test driving both the RX 450h+ and the RX500h FSport performance. I can report that in my personal opinion (as someone who’s had one 3rd Gen RX and three 4th Gen RX) am pleasantly surprised that the new 4 port does not disappoint as feared. The engine note was barely audible; the 450h+ was as quite as my current car and when you push down the groaning noise of the current Gen 4 cvt has been addressed. The 500h on the other hand with its 6speed gearbox was smooth revving and the gearing was okay though I felt an 8speed could have given better ratios. 
The 500h performance was exhilarating not X5m or GLE63 kind of class but it demonstrated that Lexus can produce performance SUV’s if they choose to, we clocked 0-60@5.8s (a lot quicker than official figure of 6.2), the 450h+ is not too far behind in the performance stakes, it actually feels a lot quicker than the official quoted time of 6.5s. 
Looks wise, I liked the 500h better as it looks much muscular especially when viewed from the rear. Am sure some may like the elegance of the 350h and 450h+ both of which the dealer confirms cannot be specked in Fsport trim (don’t understand why given that I have seen some North American models with FSport trims)
There is obviously some other experience I took away from the test drive such as ride, cornering, the agility round bends & effect of the direct 4, turning radius , seating comfort but time won’t permit me to elaborate all here as I have to give verdict on each car separately. But in summary I would encourage everyone who is interested to go and test drive these cars and not just rely onthe comments from some YouTube journalists. In my case the test drive allayed  my apprehension about the change from V6 to four pot , and I came away feeling yes I would be happy with either of the models. They are clearly two different cars each with it’s own merits and few negatives. 
C698CA4F-3DCF-4035-BFE9-0E1FD4A00203.thumb.jpeg.51f6b8e00b483eb083b8f47901634a2d.jpeg8B00BE66-16E8-4C77-9C60-9734B30146A5.thumb.jpeg.b8cee289fcecb0ab393ad15a104324d4.jpegBF9D5076-6D83-42C1-8282-E78E1801573B.thumb.jpeg.b15b7cd7bc301d7b737498f0a9bf9d2b.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Were you there today? I had a drive of their dark blue RX450h+ just this morning!

I've never had the pleasure of even driving a 4th gen model, let alone owning one, but in my mind that's what I saw myself moving onto when my current 2014 RX eventually needs to be replaced. However, now I've tried this new one I think I have something else to aspire to, it was very impressive.

I had a go in the NX PHEV last year, but that wasn't enough to sway me and I feared that this new RX might feel the same. However the smoothnes and refinement are in another league, and the full electric mode certainly adds to the feeling of calm and hush.

I'll get a few of my photos and more considered impressions up tomorrow.

Promised photos and a few more thoughts after yesterday's drive.....

IMG_4035edit.thumb.jpg.30a0131154bc860cc4d72c85bcff7dfc.jpg

Ths is the model I drove, RX450h+ in Premium Plus grade. Has the panoramic roof and what looks like a protection pack.

IMG_4038edit.thumb.jpg.ce53a05255197831984283cb8e3b6cc3.jpg

The deep blue paint is part of the standard range, so it would have a list price of circa £73,000.

IMG_4037edit.thumb.jpg.375830563db2771f8d745ce97c6b56ec.jpg

Styling is an evoloution of the current model, although I'm not sure if I'm fully on board with the front end yet. I would agree with a comment elsewhere on there that the grille looks better with the darker colours, and the lump in the bonnet looks odd from some angles.  As a Premium Plus this one has 21" wheels, an upgrade over the 19s on the Premium model. With more tyre choice and better suitablity to the potholed rural roads I drive on the latter would be my choice.

IMG_4044edit.thumb.jpg.255f0f670796b044e58d51bac25396d9.jpg

The important bit, what's it like inside:

IMG_4040edit.thumb.jpg.c4413a2b3a8cc266350f79df172c9486.jpg

I personally wouldn't opt for this light/dark colour combination, I'd be happy with straight black. It was a wonderful place to spend time, as comfortable and smooth as could be hoped even on the 21" wheels. I'd say it combines the 'proper' luxury car feel of my LS400 with the best features of the RX. I wondered if the seating position and overall height is slightly lower than the 3rd gen car, but not so much that it just felt like a tall car which is what I thought with the NX. The 2.5-litre 4-cyl engine was fine, yes it could be heard under hard acceleration but better muted than in the NX450h+.

IMG_4041.thumb.JPG.b3e559c703b9c45afa4b7bc838827797.JPG

Can't help but think the back of the seats look rather plain, almost cheap, and the two-tone effect seems a little contrived. However it was good to see it has a light coloured headlining.

IMG_4042edit.thumb.jpg.2afd792d52876633cc8b03c115feb618.jpg

Boot space looked decent, maybe a touch longer than my 3rd gen RX. When we looked under the floor we couldn't see a spare wheel of any sort, do they just rely on a can of goo and a compressor? Is there room for an optional spacesaver spare?

IMG_4046edit.thumb.jpg.699bceaa25199229823036e4d7acc23d.jpg

The display was fairly simple, which I like. I also appreciated the fact that the main HVAC controls could be operated without entering a menu. They had a big 67-reg Porsche SUV on the forecourt and that was a mess by comparision with a bewildering array of dials and switches.

IMG_4051edit.thumb.jpg.147d989cb55bd83bf6b9ec0dd1e44d7c.jpg

A scene I'll be repeating in a few years?

IMG_4048edit.thumb.jpg.9ca8d152a958d2feeec0b2be10480c82.jpg

Did have a sit inside the RX4 in the showroom and had a look at this one for sale circa £50k with just under 10,000 on the clock. If I can't stretch to the new model in a few years then this would be ideal for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It might just be my age but, having bought a new RX in 2021, I struggle to believe that a new one, however good, could really enhance my life. I’m definitely not going for a test drive any time soon…😇

Great reviews @Fattsand @Spottedlaurel - many thanks!

11 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Were you there today? I had a drive of their dark blue RX450h+ just this morning!

I've never had the pleasure of even driving a 4th gen model, let alone owning one, but in my mind that's what I saw myself moving onto when my current 2014 RX eventually needs to be replaced. However, now I've tried this new one I think I have something else to aspire to, it was very impressive.

I had a go in the NX PHEV last year, but that wasn't enough to sway me and I feared that this new RX might feel the same. However the smoothnes and refinement are in another league, and the full electric mode certainly adds to the feeling of calm and hush.

I'll get a few of my photos and more considered impressions up tomorrow.

Yes - I test drove that same blue one with the premium plus package. The interior was nice even though it wasn’t the Top spec Takunmi

2 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

It might just be my age but, having bought a new RX in 2021, I struggle to believe that a new one, however good, could really enhance my life. I’m definitely not going for a test drive any time soon…😇

Great reviews @Fattsand @Spottedlaurel - many thanks!

I do get your point as the current 4RX is a very good car already, however the plug-in set up on the 5th Gen is a new power plant which is even more economical (40+ miles of pure electric driving) ensures less frequent visits to the petrol station especially if you top up the Battery at home. So might save a few bob in the long run. Happy Sunday 

• Like 1

It's a small world, I was there on Friday having my 4th Gen serviced, saw the Bronze 500h in the car park.

To upgrade my 5-year old 4th Gen with <20k miles would cost around £50k, something I won't be doing in a hurry, I would plan to change at 10-years when the Relax scheme expires.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spock66 said:

It's a small world, I was there on Friday having my 4th Gen serviced, saw the Bronze 500h in the car park.

To upgrade my 5-year old 4th Gen with <20k miles would cost around £50k, something I won't be doing in a hurry, I would plan to change at 10-years when the Relax scheme expires.

I guess that scenario you described will apply to most of customers as nearly all new cars seem to carry a £10k to £15K mark up. Am of the opinion that dealer incentives may come in later this year once the euphoria of the new model wears off and dealers are keen to close deals 

• Like 1

When I had my car serviced 3 Feb, the dealer had a new model RX in the showroom - they claimed it was the only one in the UK at the time and they were preparing customer invite emails - I've still not heard a squeak from them!  Must say I found the front end a bit of a shocker - slightly incomprehensible why it has to be so vertical, without a hint of aerodynamics.  Just looks a bit wrong to me.  Also strange why Lexus are offering a performance model with only a six speed transmission - if memory serves, doesn't the LC have a 10 speed box?  The choice of a 4 cylinder engine for their premium SUV is an interesting one.  It's not just Lexus - I'm pretty sure Volvo banished more than 4 cylinders in their range some time back, but I still think there is merit in a six cylinder engine to help differentiate from the NX and Toyota's RAV 4.

Peter

37 minutes ago, northpolar said:

When I had my car serviced 3 Feb, the dealer had a new model RX in the showroom - they claimed it was the only one in the UK at the time and they were preparing customer invite emails - I've still not heard a squeak from them!  Must say I found the front end a bit of a shocker - slightly incomprehensible why it has to be so vertical, without a hint of aerodynamics.  Just looks a bit wrong to me.  Also strange why Lexus are offering a performance model with only a six speed transmission - if memory serves, doesn't the LC have a 10 speed box?  The choice of a 4 cylinder engine for their premium SUV is an interesting one.  It's not just Lexus - I'm pretty sure Volvo banished more than 4 cylinders in their range some time back, but I still think there is merit in a six cylinder engine to help differentiate from the NX and Toyota's RAV 4.

Peter

I got my drive as the result of a call out of the blue on Friday from one of the sales team, he'd seen I was taking in an RX for some work and asked if I wanted to try the new one. I had time to kill, so why not?!

Worth a call to them now that test drives seem to be readily available?

I made it very clear I wasn't in the market for one, but still had a pleasant chat with the sales guy on Saturday. He said the current high interest rates on finance woud make it difficult to afford/justify for some buyers, but at present there were no discounts or incentives on it as a brand new model. Will be interesting to see how that plays out over the next year or so.

I had the same sceptism over the 4-cyl engine, and under hard throttle it's clear that it's not powered by the V6, but having also tried a new NX the overall refinement is what differentiates it. Difficult to justify it in any rational way, I just hope a few buyers do now so I have a good choice in a few years' time.....

• Like 3

Thanks for this thread, chaps.  It's good to get an insight on how 'the rest of the world' may live.

My pension forbars me from indulging in such luxuries, but it's strangely comforting to learn that Lexus are still achieving improvements, although I'm happy anticipating that my current steed will likely serve me well for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3

I won't be changing my V6 RX3 in any particular hurry.  The driving differences between it and a newer RX4 are minimal to non existent.  I wouldn't contemplate changing the silky smooth V6 for the newer Euro compliant 4cyl RX5 models, especially at the current pricing which seems to have taken new costs well beyond the means of those bar the wealthy but if the used price of the last of the V6 RX5's comes down sufficiently within the next 4 years I may have a look then.  I don't feel hard changed or at any disadvantage at all.  They have prettier interiors and a little more space but I dislike intently touch screens in cars and all eggs in one basket with LCD screens mean if they go wrong, you're stuffed.  Much prefer physical buttons and real dials.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GSLV6 said:

They have prettier interiors and a little more space but I dislike intently touch screens in cars and all eggs in one basket with LCD screens mean if they go wrong, you're stuffed.

Only the later face-lifted Gen 4 RX have touchscreens, the original version has a mouse type controller.

8 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Only the later face-lifted Gen 4 RX have touchscreens, the original version has a mouse type controller.

Actually the later RX, like mine registered in late 2021, still has the trackpad but adds touchscreen functionality as well as apple CarPlay.

I hardly ever use the touchscreen! Trackpad works fine for me.

Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I much prefer the older mouse control than either the track pad or the touch screen.  It was changed, mainly it seems as motoring journo's hated it, but what do they know?😂

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, GSLV6 said:

Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I much prefer the older mouse control than either the track pad or the touch screen.  It was changed, mainly it seems as motoring journo's hated it, but what do they know?😂

No you are not the odd one out, we now have the new NX and one thing I hate about it is the touchscreen. I am convinced that a touchscreen is more distracting trying to operate whilst driving than the mouse arrangement in my RX4 and more frustrating due to prodding the wrong part of the screen when hitting a minor bump in the road.

Yes I can use voice commands and become even more frustrated when the response is generally “sorry, I didn’t hear that”😠

Re your last point, the answer is sweet f all. Journalists just need something to pick on. The way that every journalist always picks on and highlights the CVT box just demonstrates that they don’t have a clue how to drive, particularly when it comes to hybrids with CVT boxes

• Like 7

Yes, agree with all of that.  Technology for technology's sake I am afraid is one of those "must have" fashion things manufacturer's seem to want to pursue as they see it as "keeping up with progress" and fear losing sales because the ipad and apple Car Play generation they think would shirk at buying anything not fitted with it today.  No-matter who tries to tell me it is progress, my own answer is "nope, you're wrong!".  Progress is engine refinements, better suspension, longer warranties (😁), handling and reliability improvements etc.  It is not in car entertainment updates to keep up with what others are doing.  Sure, fit inductive phone charging shelves, more cup holders, better stereos, nicer interiors etc but leave our buttons and mice alone (?😆).  I won't buy any car in future that has a screen remotely resembling a giant i-pad with everything gone touchy feely.  It is a distraction, it is annoying having to muddle through on screen menus, it is a danger when driving and has no place in a car you need to keep control of.  Nice analogue dials and a dash festooned with backlit buttons that access most controls "at the touch of a button" and the mouse control for everything else was all perfectly fine and tbh was the pinnacle of driver controls along with HUD which I wouldn't now be without.  Looks as though I'm destined to slum it with an RX4 but I won't buy anything remotely touchy feely.  I guess I'm just not a "touchy feely" sort of person.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

The 450h F Sport has 21" wheels.. & pricey 235/50/21 tyres! Its got heated & cooled rear seats, the same touch screen radio as all the other recently refreshed lexus cars, I really dont like that they put the heater controls into the touch screen, if its blowing cold air in your face first thing in the morning because you had it set to that when you got home yesterday you have to wait until the radio boots up to turn it off. The tail gate shuts a lot easier than the old ones. Progress.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

Yes, agree with all of that.  Technology for technology's sake I am afraid is one of those "must have" fashion things manufacturer's seem to want to pursue as they see it as "keeping up with progress" and fear losing sales because the ipad and Apple Car Play generation they think would shirk at buying anything not fitted with it today.  No-matter who tries to tell me it is progress, my own answer is "nope, you're wrong!".  Progress is engine refinements, better suspension, longer warranties (😁), handling and reliability improvements etc.  It is not in car entertainment updates to keep up with what others are doing.  Sure, fit inductive phone charging shelves, more cup holders, better stereos, nicer interiors etc but leave our buttons and mice alone (?😆).  I won't buy any car in future that has a screen remotely resembling a giant i-pad with everything gone touchy feely.  It is a distraction, it is annoying having to muddle through on screen menus, it is a danger when driving and has no place in a car you need to keep control of.  Nice analogue dials and a dash festooned with backlit buttons that access most controls "at the touch of a button" and the mouse control for everything else was all perfectly fine and tbh was the pinnacle of driver controls along with HUD which I wouldn't now be without.  Looks as though I'm destined to slum it with an RX4 but I won't buy anything remotely touchy feely.  I guess I'm just not a "touchy feely" sort of person.

I am inclined to agree with all you say, which makes me feel a bit awkward as I have just bought the NX300h. I have not driven the NX far yet, so I am still digesting the controls. The tech is amazing compared to my previous RX400h but I am doubting if, to be honest, it makes for a better driving experience. apple / Android is great but I feel it is for the younger generation. Lexus do need to move on and update their cars with the latest tech to attract younger drivers. We "OLDIES" will shortly be no longer in the market for car - a mobility scooter possibly! I refuse, on safety grounds, to adjust the infotainment screen while driving. Fortunately the main driving controls are mostly accessed by buttons. 

I feel I have bitten off more than I need to chew, regarding the tech in the NX. 

Is there a huge difference in driving pleasure between my 25 year old LS400 and the newer NX? I fear, for me, the answer is no.  So why did I buy it? The jury is out!

P.S. My wife loves it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Looking at the specs for the new RX and NX 450h+ they have the same engine and battery capacity - interesting.

I didn't drive them back-to-back, but the RX had a different feel to the NX to me.

I'm certainly happy to keep going with my 2014 model until such time as I have to change - for now I'll be saving an awful lot which can go towards unexpected repair bills which might arise. I'd rather spend any spare car cash on keeping my LS400 going.

When the time comes I'll take a view on whether to go for a tidy late RX4 or stretch to a 5th gen model.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

The 450h F Sport has 21" wheels.. & pricey 235/50/21 tyres! Its got heated & cooled rear seats, the same touch screen radio as all the other recently refreshed lexus cars, I really dont like that they put the heater controls into the touch screen, if its blowing cold air in your face first thing in the morning because you had it set to that when you got home yesterday you have to wait until the radio boots up to turn it off. The tail gate shuts a lot easier than the old ones. Progress.

The heater has 2 knobs to control each zone 

I think it's the same across the range with the newer models.  A friend just bought a new Mercedes GLA which doesn't have a speedo.  It's more like a Tesla inside, with one giant screen where everything is accessed and very few buttons except the usual steering wheel controls.  It stopped working after 12 weeks and left her stranded because although she could start the car, she had no speedo, no fuel gauge, no satnav, no heater controls.  It had to be towed for another fault anyway!  It was with Mercedes several weeks and eventually they had to replace the whole screen. This is everything that's wrong with the way things are going with in car controls.  I'm old and grumpy enough to realise that my next car will be my last in all likelihood as I tend to keep a car a long time.  My RX is now 8 years old and I'll probably have it another 4 or 5 years.  When I change, it will not be for some Euro6 compliant tinny overstressed disposable engined box, nor for electric and nor for a newer Lexus.  I'll look for the lowest mileage RX4 I can find and that will have to see me out.  It will be a nice under-stressed reliable V6 petrol....with buttons and manual controls (as far as they have them).

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links