Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Who has fitted their own dash cam?

Perry Mahoney

The dash cam I used in my previous car is now old and outdated, so I have bought a Nextbase 322GW and wiring kit.  I am looking to install it using power from one of the fuse boxes in either footwell.  

Has anyone else successfully done this?  Can I simply use a spare unused fuse slot, providing it’s power disconnects when the ignition is off?

1 hour ago, Perry Mahoney said:

, …providing its power disconnects when the ignition is off?

Just wondering why you want to disable the dashcam when the ignition is off?

Do you think your Lexus is not going to be hit or scratched when it’s parked while you’re out shopping or having a meal?  Or left outside your home!

If anything, cars are more vulnerable when they’re unattended.

You can get power supply units that will keep the dashcam in standby mode when the ignition is off.  For example, my BlackVue has a unit called a Power Magic Pro.  I’m sure that Nextbase will have a similar system.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Yes - better idea would be to buy battery protection kit (it senses voltage and turns off the dashcam if battery drops below certain voltage). Because I would say dahscam is as useful parked as when driving.

As it happens, Linus, my Power Magic Pro does monitor the Battery state and will switch off the dashcam if the voltage drops below a preset level.  In fact the camera drain In standby is very low.

You can also get an independent Battery that will takeover powering the camera when the ignition is off.  But I agree with you that a dashcam is always better when it’s on!

• Like 1

My Nextbase 222 dash cam has a parking mode powered by a small onboard Battery which triggers a  few seconds operation if the car is disturbed i.e hit. Your dash cam is one up in the range and I would expect it to have the same facility. Check your camera specs.

Mine is powered from the 12v socket in the glove box, didn't bother with trying to access the car wiring.

• Like 3

Hi Perry

I have hard wired a dash cam into my car and apart from needing to be a contortionist to access the fuse box by the ns A post, all went well.

Mine was really easy with a piggy back fuse just to push into the fuse board. I put it on a constant live so it operates when the ignition is off.

Anthony

• Like 3

On 2/25/2023 at 6:22 PM, Lexiguy said:

Hi Perry

I have hard wired a dash cam into my car and apart from needing to be a contortionist to access the fuse box by the ns A post, all went well.

Mine was really easy with a piggy back fuse just to push into the fuse board. I put it on a constant live so it operates when the ignition is off.

Anthony

Ant,

Does’nt it drain the Battery with it being live with the ignition off?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Russ59 said:

Ant,

Does’nt it drain the battery with it being live with the ignition off?

If you buy a camera with a dedicated hardwire kit (or there are even generic hardwire kits out there that will work with any camera) then there's usually a voltage sensor/selector included.

My Viofo A129 Duo uses the HK3 (Hardwire Kit 3) and allows me to set a voltage limit beyond which it will not drop. From memory I think 11.8V, 12.0V, 12.2V and 12.4V are selectable and if I select 12.2V for example, once the Battery gets to that value the camera supply is switched off, so as to not leave you with a flat Battery.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Russ59 said:

Ant,

Does’nt it drain the battery with it being live with the ignition off?

Hi Russ

Yes, it does so I put the car Battery on Ctek charge almost always. So beware you may need to charge regularly if you don't buy the HK3 kit Herbie spoke about.

Anthony

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for your input.  I followed collective wisdom here and, using the Nextbase 322GW wiring kit, I wired direct to a live fuse in the passenger footwell (the yellow 5 amp fuse to the A/C if anyone is interested).  This means the front of the car is monitored when parked up.  The kit incorporates a Battery saver should the draw become too much, although I do tend to keep the car on an Accumate Battery charger/conditioner whilst parked up in the garage anyway.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links