Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Attempted Theft of my RX450h 2020

43 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Late 2019 (MY20) RXs have Lexus Link so you can obtain location information but it isn't a Thatcham approved tracker with a warning service or easy police access etc., and it can be defeated relatively easily so you need to be careful if you are declaring it for insurance purposes.

Oh ok, thank you. I did tell the insurance that has factory fitted alarm and immobiliser, hopefully I am right, am I?! 

On 8/15/2023 at 5:52 PM, John Walker said:

Btw If you guys find a decent installer for an immobiliser + alarm please let everyone know 

Hello, Road Radio they did dash cams and immobiliser for my UX.

On 8/10/2023 at 7:30 PM, CT200h-TL said:

Try to email Lexus UK first to request for installation instead of going straight to the dealer. You don't need to pay for the installation.

Which email address did you use, assuming you did?

Regards.

On 8/16/2023 at 9:16 PM, Lex loafer said:

Plates fitted 

Lexus tell me that a 2014 RX450h is not susceptible to a 'can-bus' account.

Such that no 'plate' is needed.

Does that sound correct?

15 minutes ago, PCM said:

Lexus tell me that a 2014 RX450h is not susceptible to a 'can-bus' account.

Such that no 'plate' is needed.

Does that sound correct?

Yes, that is correct. Only the series IV (2016 onwards) is.

• Thanks 1

I live in the north of Scotland with my fantastic 2017fsport rx450h but occasionally have travelled to London to see my daughter. Just last week she had her 2020 RAV4 stolen by the canbus method. I emailed Lexus uk about the plate fix and got a call from Edinburgh Lexus the following day to organize the “fix”. Seemingly I’ll have the 1st car in Scotland that has it done as there haven’t been any thefts like this up north YET!

I would advise everyone to get this done as it’s better same than sorry!

20 minutes ago, Steven Dougan said:

I live in the north of Scotland with my fantastic 2017fsport rx450h but occasionally have travelled to London to see my daughter. Just last week she had her 2020 RAV4 stolen by the canbus method. I emailed Lexus uk about the plate fix and got a call from Edinburgh Lexus the following day to organize the “fix”. Seemingly I’ll have the 1st car in Scotland that has it done as there haven’t been any thefts like this up north YET!

I would advise everyone to get this done as it’s better same than sorry!

What was the cost to have this done ?

5 minutes ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

What was the cost to have this done ?

They were originally going to charge £250 but I got them to get back in touch with Lexus Uk who have confirmed I’ll get it done foc.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 2:33 PM, John Walker said:

I called Lexus Twickenham to have that anti theft plate installed on an RX that i m planning to purchase (they said only on the passenger side is required) and they want to charge me £250. I told them people have them fitted for free, this is so frustrating. Can anyone help me with Lexus UK customer service so I can make a complaint? 

Tell them that Lexus CS is paying for the cost and that you get both sides done.  Or go to another dealership.

OK so it looks like we are getting movement from Lexus as a group of owners.  It has taken a lot of voices to get them to listen and act.  I heard from one dealership that they want customers to push back with issues otherwise nothing would get done.  Lexus CS has helped now they are aware of the scale of their customer's concerns, and rightly so.  Now we have to push back with the insurers.  I still can not understand the thinking behind Lexus insurance not insuring their own cars.  (ok its Annoy Nissan or something like that), but it would be great if they felt the wave of dissatisfied customers.  If they don't want to insure one RX owner, they don't want to insure any RX owner.  I wonder what would happen if all Lexus owners, RX, NX, UX etc stopped using them.  Surely the lack of income would get them to do something for their customers too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

ok its Annoy Nissan or something like that

Aioi Nissay Dowa, which is part of the MS&AD Insurance Group. Whilst Toyota is a major shareholder in this company they aren't going to be able to dictate that the company run at a loss on certain policies - I think it would take Toyota to offer subsidies.  

Given that the plates aren't insurance validated it will take some time to see premiums being lowered back to reasonable levels across the industry. This is where Lexus insurance could provide something different - offer competitive policies knowing that the anti-theft plates have been fitted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sybaris said:

Tell them that Lexus CS is paying for the cost and that you get both sides done.  Or go to another dealership.

As I understand the CANbus only goes to the passenger side head light and the communications between the headlights is LINbus, so only one side needs doing. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Paul

• Like 1

If customers don't buy then Annoy Nissan don't make money, shareholders get upset and questions will be raised.  That's the power that customers have over the shareholder.

5 minutes ago, PDM said:

As I understand the CANbus only goes to the passenger side head light and the communications between the headlights is LINbus, so only one side needs doing. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

I can't confirm the wiring scheme, but definitely two plates were fitted to my car free of charge.

15 hours ago, AWC said:

Anyone know if Lexus has done anything to protect the new series 5 RX from CAN bus theft?

I asked this question and was told "it is on a new security platform".  I assume that means it is not susceptible to the current CAN invader at least. 

Paul 

52 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

If customers don't buy then Annoy Nissan don't make money, shareholders get upset and questions will be raised.  That's the power that customers have over the shareholder.

A few hundred UK policies not renewing isn't going to make much of a difference to a multinational insurance company, and share holders should be more concerned with the company taking on policies that have higher than normal risk of  making heavy losses.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PDM said:

I asked this question and was told "it is on a new security platform".  I assume that means it is not susceptible to the current CAN invader at least. 

Paul 

For now, I suspect

I was told by the dealer and customer service that the RZ is on a different security ‘platform’ and so no need to plate it. I just hope the insurers realise there is a difference between say a 2021 RX and a 2023 RZ !

11 hours ago, PDM said:

Paul

It depends. If you have adaptive headlights then there is a CAN bus connection between the two lights in addition to the LIN connection.

21 hours ago, Sybaris said:

OK so it looks like we are getting movement from Lexus as a group of owners.  It has taken a lot of voices to get them to listen and act.  I heard from one dealership that they want customers to push back with issues otherwise nothing would get done.  Lexus CS has helped now they are aware of the scale of their customer's concerns, and rightly so.  Now we have to push back with the insurers.  I still can not understand the thinking behind Lexus insurance not insuring their own cars.  (ok its Annoy Nissan or something like that), but it would be great if they felt the wave of dissatisfied customers.  If they don't want to insure one RX owner, they don't want to insure any RX owner.  I wonder what would happen if all Lexus owners, RX, NX, UX etc stopped using them.  Surely the lack of income would get them to do something for their customers too.

Lexus no longer has my business. After my Lexus Rx450h F Sport was stolen on 20/07/23, I attempted to replace it with another Rx450h. However, the most affordable insurance quote I received was £3680. As a result, I've opted for a Hyundai Tucson Hybrid instead. I believe I won't be the last customer that Lexus loses.

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links