Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Attempted Theft of my RX450h 2020

A recent report on car theft in Paris put two Lexus models as 2 & 4 most common.  Both have 'keyless' systems.

Recent report from Connexion

"The top five most frequently stolen cars in 2022, according to the Franco-German car magazine Auto Plus, were also predominantly hybrids:

1. Toyota Rav4 “5” 
  2. Lexus NX 
  3. Audi A3 “3”   
  4. Lexus UX   
  5. Renault Megane 4  "

11 minutes ago, katabrontes said:

A recent report on car theft in Paris put two Lexus models as 2 & 4 most common.  Both have 'keyless' systems.

Recent report from Connexion

"The top five most frequently stolen cars in 2022, according to the Franco-German car magazine Auto Plus, were also predominantly hybrids:

1. Toyota Rav4 “5” 
  2. Lexus NX 
  3. Audi A3 “3”   
  4. Lexus UX   
  5. Renault Megane 4  "

Thank god I'm not in lawless Paris 🫣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainB_UK said:

I've just had my beautiful RX 450h taken in the early hours from outside my home in North London.  Incredibly easy for them to do via this hack and, of course, car was due to be patched by Lexus in the coming weeks.  I'm really very upset with this manufacturer for not stepping in fast enough to secure the car.  An unencrypted bus just sitting behind a few bits of plastic does not team with the level of sophistication found elsewhere in the technology on these cars.  This was my only new car, fully spec'd and really well looked after for 4.5 years so I doubt I'll get the same level of car spec again with the insurance money.  Anyone with a similar RX model who has not fitted a secondary immobiliser should do so now!

I completely ignored everything i was reading online and didn’t put any protection on my stolen RX which probably a big mistake. You didn’t have any protection at all? Not even a steering wheel lock? 

Also try to park your cars in a way that would be more difficult or would take more manoeuvres to drive away. 

Did you get any video footage? 

And remember with all the security fitted (lexus plate, steering wheel lock, immobiliser, alarm, tracker, home cameras etc.) doesn’t mean that your car is 100% safe, it will just take them more time to take it away and most of them might give up. 

PS I haven’t heard of any RX thefts outside London so probably living away from big cities is your best bet for a decent stress free life. 

We have CCTV footage and police are investigating but I don't hold much hope for a recovery.  I think these cars are being shipped straight out of the country, if not stripped for parts.  Lexus just need to develop their CAN bus tech, etc. to make the vehicles more secure

2 hours ago, CaptainB_UK said:

Can someone confirm the earliest date Lexus were aware of the headlamp CAN bus vulnerability please?

The earliest report I've seen was in Japan, an article dated September 2021 referring to a canbus theft there in July 2021 - https://soranews24.com/2021/09/02/japanese-police-struggling-with-growing-number-of-can-invaders-used-to-steal-luxury-cars/

• Like 2

Just 2 days ago on Saturday 30th Sept I had my rx450h stolen from  large busy supermarket car park in broad daylight in Edmonton North London. The police have already closed the case as it is likely to have been a professional job probably using what is known as CAN bus method. Basically the car’s micro-system can be infiltrated and within a minute the car can be unlocked, the immobiliser disengaged and driven away. 
Lexus cannot continue to deny this is now an issue that must be addressed immediately and surely there is a case for retrospective compensation for those of us who have had vehicles stolen through the lack of adequate security. 

Edited by Steve E C
Spelling mistake
  • Sad 2

42 minutes ago, Steve E C said:

Just 2 days ago on Saturday 30th Sept I had my rx450h stolen from  large busy supermarket car park in broad daylight in Edmonton North London. The police have already closed the case as it is likely to have been a professional job probably using what is known as CAN bus method. Basically the car’s micro-system can be infiltrated and within a minute the car can be unlocked, the immobiliser disengaged and driven away. 
Lexus cannot continue to deny this is now an issue that must be addressed immediately and surely there is a case for retrospective compensation for those of us who have had vehicles stolen through the lack of adequate security. 

Wow in the middle of the day?! This makes things even more scarier. Hopefully your insurance will pay fast. I assume you didn’t have any protection on…

1 hour ago, Steve E C said:

Lexus cannot continue to deny this is now an issue that must be addressed immediately

Really sorry to hear about the theft. Lexus aren’t denying the issue at this point. Additional security is available to be fitted FOC as per details in this thread, and many have had it fitted in the last 2-3 months.

1 hour ago, Steve E C said:

This is very sad news indeed, Steve.  It’s a modern evil with which every car owner can empathise.

The infuriating reality is that the security standards built in to a 2018 car are easily defeated by 2023 technology.  Other than the car’s immobiliser, did you have any other, more visible deterrents?  A steering wheel lock, for example?

MInd you, I recently had a conversation with one manufacturer claiming a high standard of resistance for their lock, who nevertheless conceded that given sufficient time, privacy and the right tools, any mechanical lock can be defeated.  The trick is to make the effort and risk not worth the trouble it takes!

Did you place your key into a Faraday pouch to prevent the signal being cloned?  This is a favourite method of access in supermarket thefts as the thief knows the car owner is going to be away for some time.

Have you checked with the car park operator to see if your car was covered by CCTV?  At the very least, try to find out when the car actually left the car park.  The area you mention is - I suspect - well monitored by cameras and while the Police may not like it, it is possible to track the car’s progress from the car park.

If the thief thought that it might have a Tracker, then the usual practice is to park it up somewhere secluded for a few days to see if it’s collected.  So having an idea where it went could narrow the search area.

The Police may claim it’s not worth the man hours for one car, but your car was probably stolen to order and represents the tip of a profitable organised crime business.

I hope it all turns out alright for you.

• Like 1

Do we know if new models or approved used from Lexus dealer will have to additional security update as a matter of course before sale is made. 
I wish they had told me about this solution before me finding out about it after my car was stolen!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Steve E C said:

Do we know if new models or approved used from Lexus dealer will have to additional security update as a matter of course before sale is made. 
I wish they had told me about this solution before me finding out about it after my car was stolen!

I don't know for sure but I would guess that the dealership will not do anything that costs them money, as in workshop time, unless there is a request made.

Sorry to hear this Steve. I'm assuming you had no steering lock. Unfortunately, most cars are affected. Landover BMW etc. You'd need to do serious research to find protected models. I think most VW cars in the last few years are ok as they were one of the first to encrypt the can bus signals. For lexus, you'd need the new models for 2023. So probably UX, maybe the new RX. But not any old 2023 lexus will be safe.

Also, ghost immobilizer has been reported to NOT offer canbus protection for this latest attack despite rumours that it does. Go and check Landover forums and YouTube. I've seen reports myself. As anything on the internet, he careful what you read. Doubt the truth in everything. Assume all cars are vulnerable until you find evidence of encrypted can bus.

• Like 1

The gangs are well kitted and have all the tools to cut locks off. A steering wheel lock may only deter.

As Len said, you car might be parked a few streets away while waiting for a tracker van to find the car. They'll collect it about 2 days later. So if you look, you might get lucky. Highly doubtful though. But I have read of one car being recovered this way. Local hot spot for car drops. They choose places with no cctv. And good access to a major road, in a residential area. They don't usually choose commercial estates.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LenT said:

This is very sad news indeed, Steve.  It’s a modern evil with which every car owner can empathise.

The infuriating reality is that the security standards built in to a 2018 car are easily defeated by 2023 technology.  Other than the car’s immobiliser, did you have any other, more visible deterrents?  A steering wheel lock, for example?

MInd you, I recently had a conversation with one manufacturer claiming a high standard of resistance for their lock, who nevertheless conceded that given sufficient time, privacy and the right tools, any mechanical lock can be defeated.  The trick is to make the effort and risk not worth the trouble it takes!

Did you place your key into a Faraday Pouch to prevent the signal being cloned?  This is a favourite method of access in supermarket thefts as the thief knows the car owner is going to be away for some time.

Have you checked with the car park operator to see if your car was covered by CCTV?  At the very least, try to find out when the car actually left the car park.  The area you mention is - I suspect - well monitored by cameras and while the Police may not like it, it is possible to track the car’s progress from the car park.

If the thief thought that it might have a Tracker, then the usual practice is to park it up somewhere secluded for a few days to see if it’s collected.  So having an idea where it went could narrow the search area.

The Police may claim it’s not worth the man hours for one car, but your car was probably stolen to order and represents the tip of a profitable organised crime business.

Faraday pouch won't work as the thief enters the brain's of the vehicle or CANBUS. After market immobilizer from IGLA or StarLine is good-the latter is quite popular in Europe

4 hours ago, DaveyBoy said:

Sorry to hear this Steve. I'm assuming you had no steering lock. Unfortunately, most cars are affected. Landover BMW etc. You'd need to do serious research to find protected models. I think most VW cars in the last few years are ok as they were one of the first to encrypt the can bus signals. For lexus, you'd need the new models for 2023. So probably UX, maybe the new RX. But not any old 2023 lexus will be safe.

Also, ghost immobilizer has been reported to NOT offer canbus protection for this latest attack despite rumours that it does. Go and check Landover forums and YouTube. I've seen reports myself. As anything on the internet, he careful what you read. Doubt the truth in everything. Assume all cars are vulnerable until you find evidence of encrypted can bus.

I'm from Canada and with the IGLA system (not sure if that's a "ghost" immobilizer), that immobilizer worked. Theft stopped twice in two months

10 hours ago, kenvin100 said:

I'm from Canada and with the IGLA system (not sure if that's a "ghost" immobilizer), that immobilizer worked. Theft stopped twice in two months

A ghost immobiliser is a product from PFK electronics/Autowatch - https://www.autowatch.co.uk/veh-sec/ghost-2-menu

Similar to IGLA or other CAN bus immobilisers on the market.

On 10/2/2023 at 9:21 AM, LenT said:

Did you place your key into a Faraday Pouch to prevent the signal being cloned?  This is a favourite method of access in supermarket thefts as the thief knows the car owner is going to be away for some time.

Many thanks for you message. I was so unaware I was at risk and totally ignorant about such things as Can Bus until it was too late. Like thousands of others I made the mistake of thinking because I had an expensive modern car then so long as I locked it in a ‘safe’ public area in broad daylight I should be able to return to it and drive home. 
There was CCTV across the car park but as I left my vehicle for c4 hours the police suggested lack of resources prevented them being able to go through it all. I don’t blame them at all, but it does somewhat defeat the benefit of having CCTV if car theft of a £50k+ piece of property is unable to be fully investigated. 
My South West based Lexus dealer has told me that there is a recall warranty programme underway but that it is focussed upon major cities as present but that it could be possible to get the security update done elsewhere if it’s requested - albeit it sounds like a pretty crude fix with a plate being fitted above the near side wheel arch to prevent access to the can bus. 
5 days in I’m expecting my insurance company offer for my car and whatever I get I’ll be sure to take all the steps I can to make it as secure as possible. 

3 hours ago, Steve E C said:

Like thousands of others I made the mistake of thinking because I had an expensive modern car then so long as I locked it in a ‘safe’ public area in broad daylight I should be able to return to it and drive home. 

Not an unreasonable expectation, Steve.

3 hours ago, Steve E C said:

There was CCTV across the car park but as I left my vehicle for c4 hours the police suggested lack of resources prevented them being able to go through it all. I

Probably too late now, but I do believe some car park operators will allow the recognised owner of a stolen vehicle access to the video if it will help to track the thieves.

After all, it’s in their interests to catch car thieves as it’s not good for business!

4 hours ago, Steve E C said:

albeit it sounds like a pretty crude fix with a plate being fitted above the near side wheel arch to prevent access to the can bus. 

Crude but effective Steve.  The only problem with it, that I can see, is that it’s only when the thief has already damaged the car that they encounter the plate.

Same with something like a Ghost Immobiliser - or a simple Kill Switch that isolates the fuel pump. It’s the principle of a layered defence.  

The thief overcomes the obvious devices but is then faced with wondering why the engine turns over but won’t start.  Short of calling out the AA, or putting the car on a trailer, it becomes easier to look for another target.  And of course being presented with all these barriers to overcome increases the possibility of a Tracker!

4 hours ago, Steve E C said:

5 days in I’m expecting my insurance company offer for my car and whatever I get I’ll be sure to take all the steps I can to make it as secure as possible.

And if you can provide evidence that you’ve taken all these precautions, it seems reasonable that you should see a reduction in your premium as you’re reducing the risk of theft.  Well, you can but ask!

On 3/13/2023 at 11:56 AM, owen leleu said:

I like the idea of extra security,particularly the Ghost 2 immobiliser, but I have read on other forums that any start/stop device has to be turned off otherwise when one stops at traffic lights, for instance, and the engine cuts out you have to go through the whole starting procedure again ie entering your PIN.

With our ICE constantly cutting in and out on the RX ,I wonder how this would work? Clearly you could not enter your PIN every time to restart the engine.

Anyone any ideas?

My CAN phantom has a valet mode which you can quickly enter when engine running. And turn off with your pin when not required.  Not aware if Ghost has the same .

On 10/2/2023 at 6:03 PM, DaveyBoy said:

I have a CAN phantom immobiliser and it foiled an attempted theft last Monday. 
That was 2nd attempt in 2 months. 
Does anyone else have this immobiliser fitted?

Previous theft was found using tracker which made me fit Phantom. 
steering lock is only a visual deterrent. They just cut the steering when once they’ve started the engine (not just the electrics) . 
however headlamp connector and ecu compromised (see my other post on 450h attempted theft)

This might sound silly but I m read that thieves prefer dark or black cars, wonder why, maybe they blend in more? 

My stolen RX was black, my friend’s neighbour RX as well. What colour was yours? Just out of interest 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links