Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Canbus car thefts

9 minutes ago, BillSt said:

I must admit to having been very concerned about the CANBUS security breaches. I did contact U.K. customer relations and feel much relieved after their reply. Unable to post it for obvious reasons. Looking forward to my new NX 450+ in about a months time. 

Why are you unable to post it? If it helps other users on here then you should, rather than your meaningless post.

28 minutes ago, imgo said:

been very concerned about the CANBUS security breaches.

Me like you are about to spend about £60000 on a car, why not for peace of mind have a ghost 2 for about £500( others are available). I get my car in about 10 days on day 11 I will have one fitted. 

Just for the record, you have miss quoted me as the op for "been very concerned about the CANBUS security breaches."

15 hours ago, imgo said:

Just for the record, you have miss quoted me as the op for "been very concerned about the CANBUS security breaches."

Sorry, my mistake. 

• Thanks 1

During discussions with Toyota, I am much happier that my new NX will be secure to current threats and to many on the way.
Despite some comments here, I was assured that Lexus are very active in research and implementation on new vehicles but I understand the difficulties with some older models. 
I will not pass any comment that might in any way make it easier to compromise that!
A good understanding of the issues can be found here (including in the extensive comments which also include the NX 😉 ) 

https://kentindell.github.io/2023/04/03/can-injection/ 

one comment to the article says:

"Your 2023 Lexus NX 350h comes with SecOC and encryption keys are used to sign legitimate commands, so this car is not vulnerable to this specific CAN injection attack as the messages generated by the device are ignored."

• Like 1

For anyone thinking Ghost immobiliser - this is well worth a watch so you can make the right choice. 

FWIW - I've dealt with Motorguard recently & Raf is a very knowledgeable person on vehicle security systems. 

There are other security options available for Toyota / Lexus vehicles depending on exactly what you want. 

• Thanks 1

There is another similar thread on the RX forum where owners have also discussed the retrofit of the metal plate to the affected wheel arch area which makes the CANBUS method of theft a lot more difficult.

I have just sent an email to Lexus Customer Relations to enquire whether Lexus plan to offer the fitment of the plate to NX owners and, if so, how I can arrange to have it fitted to mine in the first instance.

I will await their reply and report back.

• Like 5

On 6/16/2023 at 10:46 AM, Andy B said:

There is another similar thread on the RX forum where owners have also discussed the retrofit of the metal plate to the affected wheel arch area which makes the CANBUS method of theft a lot more difficult.

I have just sent an email to Lexus Customer Relations to enquire whether Lexus plan to offer the fitment of the plate to NX owners and, if so, how I can arrange to have it fitted to mine in the first instance.

I will await their reply and report back.

I received a reply to my email yesterday. I won't recite it verbatim here but here are the salient points:-

1. Lexus are aware that criminals have attempted to gain access by the CANBUS method and have been testing some prototype protective plates and checking the installation of this plate. 

2. This testing has been carried out for the RX only. 

3. Lexus are not aware of the NX being targeted by thieves using this method and the protection plate will only be made available for the previous generation RX. This is not to say it won't be rolled out across other models and this is certainly a topic in discussion at the moment. Once further information becomes available, this will be shared with the Lexus Centre Network. 

So good news or bad news - depending on your outlook.

• Thanks 1

I asked if the RZ was protected against or will be and was told the RZ is on a ‘different security platform’ and there are no plans to fit plates. I asked if the ‘different security platform’ meant it was protected and the answer was I don’t know !

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 11:15 AM, BillSt said:

During discussions with Toyota, I am much happier that my new NX will be secure to current threats and to many on the way.
Despite some comments here, I was assured that Lexus are very active in research and implementation on new vehicles but I understand the difficulties with some older models. 
I will not pass any comment that might in any way make it easier to compromise that!
A good understanding of the issues can be found here (including in the extensive comments which also include the NX 😉 ) 

https://kentindell.github.io/2023/04/03/can-injection/ 

That’s good to hear. 

I will admit I’ve been considering when my NX arrives, digging out my old crook-lock from the garage that I know I still have the key for!

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 6:57 PM, Gary H said:

That’s good to hear. 

I will admit I’ve been considering when my NX arrives, digging out my old crook-lock from the garage that I know I still have the key for!

I was certainly reassured when my insurance company (NFU) substantially reduced my costs from current 2020 RAV4. Can only assume much better security fitted on the NX450h+ which I should be getting in two weeks time.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links