Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Continental SportContact 7

Having now completed 1000km on a set of 19" Continental SportContact 7s (245/40 front/265/35 rear), I can offer an initial opinion, at least as regards handling and comfort.

The weather has been quite warm and mainly dry except for a few heavy showers that caught me on the motorway.  I should admit that my very positive opinion may have been influenced, initially at least, by the seasonal switch from a well-worn set of winter tyres (Pirelli Sottozeros).  Braking distances, for example, were so much better with the Contis as to have almost startled me at first.  Pleasantly, of course.

The summer tyres I have previously had on my F-Sport RC300hs (MYs 2016 and 2019) were Dunlop SportMaxxes, Bridgestone Potenza RE050s, and Pirelli PZeros.  Having now tried the Contis I would almost certainly go for them again in future, though this would ultimately depend on prices and size availabilities at the time of other premium brands such as Michelin and Goodyear besides Pirelli.  Certainly, the SCs and the PZeros easily outclassed the OEM Bridgestones and Dunlops, which by comparison were on most counts no more than adequate.

The grip of the SCs in bends and fast curves in the dry is impressive, the complete absence of deviation from selected trajectories and during sudden changes of direction translating into a permanent invitation to drive a little faster.  I felt much this same level of confidence, albeit duly mitigated by lower speeds, on a long stretch of soaked motorway during and after a series of violent rain squalls.  While the SCs in these conditions in no way relieved my feeling of helplessness during aquaplaning - not that I expected they would - they did seem to "bite" with more force and immediacy than the Pirellis upon regaining traction.  The RC's balance and stability at sustained speeds on winding roads are, together with its precise cornering and general agility, among the car's best features.  These are undoubtedly enhanced by the SCs but, then again, I recall feeling much the same level of enthusiasm with newly fitted PZeros.

Because my preference on motorways, and often on any roads with prospectively easy overtaking, is for SPORT or SPORT+ modes, I am personally not unduly concerned about the extent to which the hardness of my tyres may be adding to the firmer ride and putative loss of comfort resulting from the stiffened suspensions.  However, to judge by a bone-shaking stretch of cobblestones I negotiate several times a day in NORMAL mode, I would characterise the SCs as being of a more rigid construction than, say, the PZeros, so much so that I would hesitate to recommend them to anyone who dislikes a firm ride or suffers from a bad back.

In terms of acoustic comfort, the SCs are tolerably quiet at all speeds, though no better or worse in this regard than Pirellis or, for that matter, any other premium UHP tyres I have had in the past.  As regards looks, the SC is to my eye a more handsome tyre than most, the tread pattern and sidewall graphics combining into a purposefulness of appearance well suited to the RC.

In summary, the SCs are hard to fault, and if time also shows them to be slower to deteriorate and more resistant to wear than my hitherto favoured Pirellis, which are somewhat disappointing in this regard, I would judge them to be close to perfect.

That's very interesting Renato.Although I won't need to change my tyres until much later this year,whilst waiting for my garden to dry out,I've been doing some research on tyres.

From what I've read here and more generally,the Continental 7 appears pick of the bunch at the moment.The choice,as you've noticed,is limited because of the staggered sizes on the RC.

I'm trying to get away from Bridgestone,as the last 4 cars of mine have all had them and I find them quite noisy and on one car,they suffered from cracking.The noise aspect is more noticeable,as the RC is a relatively quiet car,so tyre noise becomes more intrusive.

59 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Having now completed 1000km on a set of 19" Continental SportContact 7s (245/40 front/265/35 rear), I can offer an initial opinion, at least as regards handling and comfort.

The weather has been quite warm and mainly dry except for a few heavy showers that caught me on the motorway.  I should admit that my very positive opinion may have been influenced, initially at least, by the seasonal switch from a well-worn set of winter tyres (Pirelli Sottozeros).  Braking distances, for example, were so much better with the Contis as to have almost startled me at first.  Pleasantly, of course.

The summer tyres I have previously had on my F-Sport RC300hs (MYs 2016 and 2019) were Dunlop SportMaxxes, Bridgestone Potenza RE050s, and Pirelli PZeros.  Having now tried the Contis I would almost certainly go for them again in future, though this would ultimately depend on prices and size availabilities at the time of other premium brands such as Michelin and Goodyear besides Pirelli.  Certainly, the SCs and the PZeros easily outclassed the OEM Bridgestones and Dunlops, which by comparison were on most counts no more than adequate.

The grip of the SCs in bends and fast curves in the dry is impressive, the complete absence of deviation from selected trajectories and during sudden changes of direction translating into a permanent invitation to drive a little faster.  I felt much this same level of confidence, albeit duly mitigated by lower speeds, on a long stretch of soaked motorway during and after a series of violent rain squalls.  While the SCs in these conditions in no way relieved my feeling of helplessness during aquaplaning - not that I expected they would - they did seem to "bite" with more force and immediacy than the Pirellis upon regaining traction.  The RC's balance and stability at sustained speeds on winding roads are, together with its precise cornering and general agility, among the car's best features.  These are undoubtedly enhanced by the SCs but, then again, I recall feeling much the same level of enthusiasm with newly fitted PZeros.

Because my preference on motorways, and often on any roads with prospectively easy overtaking, is for SPORT or SPORT+ modes, I am personally not unduly concerned about the extent to which the hardness of my tyres may be adding to the firmer ride and putative loss of comfort resulting from the stiffened suspensions.  However, to judge by a bone-shaking stretch of cobblestones I negotiate several times a day in NORMAL mode, I would characterise the SCs as being of a more rigid construction than, say, the PZeros, so much so that I would hesitate to recommend them to anyone who dislikes a firm ride or suffers from a bad back.

In terms of acoustic comfort, the SCs are tolerably quiet at all speeds, though no better or worse in this regard than Pirellis or, for that matter, any other premium UHP tyres I have had in the past.  As regards looks, the SC is to my eye a more handsome tyre than most, the tread pattern and sidewall graphics combining into a purposefulness of appearance well suited to the RC.

In summary, the SCs are hard to fault, and if time also shows them to be slower to deteriorate and more resistant to wear than my hitherto favoured Pirellis, which are somewhat disappointing in this regard, I would judge them to be close to perfect.

The way you describe your diving habits, the Continental model you have chosen probably is the right tyre type for you.

For people with less sporty cars, considering comfort as very much needed, the Continental UltraContact could be the better choice.

Having fine tuned cruise controls (aftermarket) before it was standard on most cars, I have tried very many different brands of tyre and have never found any better than Continental in all kinds of weather; Denmark has all kinds of weather. The Michelins, that were on the Audi and VW 3L diesels from factory were not more than OK in rain.  The Pirelli that came from factory on the CT are not quiet.

On 4/4/2023 at 7:35 PM, Las Palmas said:

The way you describe your diving habits, the Continental model you have chosen probably is the right tyre type for you. ....

John, I wouldn't want to give the impression that I habitually hurl my RC300h around corners or break speed limits as a result of having the 19" staggered tyres.  I will admit, however, that the feeling of having performance tyres underneath may occasionally add a little verve to one's attitude.  I will further admit that the prominence of the Z speed rating on the SC7s sidewalls was initially a slight source of embarrassment insofar as some people might think I'm pretending to drive an RCF, but I soon got over it.

Staggered 19" tyres with a minimum speed rating of Y are the only sizes homologated for the F-Sport version in Italy, and figure accordingly without alternatives in the car's registration papers.  Fitting other sizes on either axle would result in a heavy fine, insurance invalidation, and automatic MOT failure.  Like some other early customers back in 2016 when the car was launched I expressed concern at this lack of regulatory flexibility, pointing out that several size alternatives were available for the non-F Sport version.  There was talk of Lexus applying for a change of specifications but if this was done nothing came of it.  My concern was purely about prices, especially for the 265/35 rears, as well as limited brand choices and possible availability problems. From a technical and aesthetic standpoint I was, and have remained, happy in the knowledge that the fat rears improve roadholding while emphasising the car's good looks.

5 hours ago, Rabbers said:

John, I wouldn't want to give the impression that I habitually hurl my RC300h around corners or break speed limits as a result of having the 19" staggered tyres.  I will admit, however, that the feeling of having performance tyres underneath may occasionally add a little verve to one's attitude.  I will further admit that the prominence of the Z speed rating on the SC7s sidewalls was initially a slight source of embarrassment insofar as some people might think I'm pretending to drive an RCF, but I soon got over it.

Staggered 19" tyres with a minimum speed rating of Y are the only sizes homologated for the F-Sport version in Italy, and figure accordingly without alternatives in the car's registration papers.  Fitting other sizes on either axle would result in a heavy fine, insurance invalidation, and automatic MOT failure.  Like some other early customers back in 2016 when the car was launched I expressed concern at this lack of regulatory flexibility, pointing out that several size alternatives were available for the non-F Sport version.  There was talk of Lexus applying for a change of specifications but if this was done nothing came of it.  My concern was purely about prices, especially for the 265/35 rears, as well as limited brand choices and possible availability problems. From a technical and aesthetic standpoint I was, and have remained, happy in the knowledge that the fat rears improve roadholding while emphasising the car's good looks.

We have same problem when buying tyres. Lexus demand far too high, speed rating. The CT is not allowed any tyres with less than W rating and that is so stupid that only tyre factories can appreciate it.

W tyres are up to 270 km/h. To reach that speed in a CT you have to get it on an airplane and jump. This limitation also mean that I cannot put V rated tyres on, though that would open for less noise 69db instead of 70db on the W. Also, the higher speed rating – the more you have to pay for the tyres. The CT would normally be covered with T rating. It would never on plain road reach 190 km/h. And I do not want to lose my driving licence.

Then Continental is not making the UltraContact in W rating so I need Y rating in order not to have problems with MOT. CT with tyres approved to 300 km/h!

215/45/17 tyres approved to drive 300 km/h on a car that cannot drive 180 km/h is forced on us if wanting high quality Continental UltraContact with low noise and all the other qualities coming with the brand. Here all-season tyres are not at all interesting more than a couple of days every 5 years. 15 degrees Celsius when it is cold in winter and down to 10 at night is normal.

image.thumb.png.94a4044db6239ecafc117a0d656086b9.png

image.thumb.png.9d49a845a39e338c3b9d00e55208eef7.png                    emojicover.0.thumb.png.a7bb298cf3a41b2d86a913a982e75fdf.png

........... methinks we're going to maybe see the likes of Toyota, with all it's purchasing power and volume in the new car sales market .  maybe taking over a tyre production business or two . and commandeering the market with necessary high speed tyres and Toyota vehicle BHP tyre requirements for MOTs and the like

Just a thought .  or maybe globally Govts will ban them from doing this .  too much control of a market 🤔

Malc

3 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

W tyres are up to 270 km/h. ….  

And it can only strike on as crazy that this is the speed rating of the Pirelli SottoZero winters in the approved sizes for the RC300h F-Sport.  It is even crazier that, providing they are of the approved size, a speed rating of Q i.e. >160kmh is the acceptable minimum for winter tyres for any car.

3 hours ago, Malc1 said:

........... methinks we're going to maybe see the likes of Toyota, with all it's purchasing power and volume in the new car sales market .  maybe taking over a tyre production business or two ….

I’m not sure Toyota would actually want to risk antitrust problems by actually taking over a tyre company or companies given that they already have large Japanese suppliers like Bridgestone and Dunlop by the b**ls, so to speak.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

And it can only strike on as crazy that this is the speed rating of the Pirelli SottoZero winters in the approved sizes for the RC300h F-Sport.  It is even crazier that, providing they are of the approved size, a speed rating of Q i.e. >160kmh is the acceptable minimum for winter tyres for any car.

I have been driving the "high road" in Norway, from Oslo to Trondheim in winter when we could see red sticks on sides of the road so we knew we were on the road. Very long time ago. Not many were driving faster than 30 - 40 km/h. 160 km/h winter tyres? Can it be much crazier?

6 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

I have been driving the "high road" in Norway, from Oslo to Trondheim in winter when we could see red sticks on sides of the road so we knew we were on the road. Very long time ago. Not many were driving faster than 30 - 40 km/h. 160 km/h winter tyres? Can it be much crazier?

What's so crazy? Winter tyres are not only for snow/ice, but for driving on the motorway in cold or even freezing temperatures. Yes, 160km/h in good winter conditions is normal on well-built motorways in Germany, but no one's going to call the police if you do that in light traffic anywhere else either. It's all about matching your speed to road/weather conditions, traffic, and your car's capabilities. I've done 160+ in winter on Pirelli all seasons, there was never any issue with grip, control.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DBIZO said:

What's so crazy? ….

What’s crazy is that no premium tyre companies produce UHP winter tyres in sizes of 17” and above with a speed rating anywhere as low - or prospectively as low-priced - as the Q permitted by regulatory authorities, V or thereabouts being the norm.

On 4/4/2023 at 7:09 PM, DavidCM said:

On 4/4/2023 at 7:09 PM, DavidCM said:

From what I've read here and more generally,the Continental 7 appears pick of the bunch at the moment. .....

I had come to the same conclusion as you, David, and recommend you keep an eye out for any good deal on them.

This last change of tyres was the first time I have had any kind of availability problem for a complete set of PZeros.  On two previous occasions when I replaced the OEM tyres, Bridgestones the first time and Dunlops the second, it was primarily on the basis of immediate availability and a marginally better price for PZeros than Goodyear Eagles, these being another brand with which I had been happy in the past.  Michelin PSs and Conti SCs - I don't remember the generation numbers - were also readily available, but at significantly higher prices - maybe by 20% or more, as I recall - than the Pirellis, which I had in any case always found satisfactory.

When I decided to change to summer tyres this last time it was much earlier in the year than usual because of my alarm at the sudden appearance of several patches of surface crumbling on all four of the winters, almost certainly as the result of several weeks - indeed months - of unseasonably warm temperatures unsuited to the tyres.  I was therefore quite excited to be offered a set of of SC7s for around the same price, namely €925, as I would have paid for my usual PZeros had the 265/35 rears not been "momentarily" unavailable.  And, as will be clear from my OP, I am far from regretting the purchase.  In fact, perhaps because they are now fully "bedded in", the SCs seem to have got even better.

On 4/7/2023 at 6:56 AM, Rabbers said:

What’s crazy is that no premium tyre companies produce UHP winter tyres in sizes of 17” and above with a speed rating anywhere as low - or prospectively as low-priced - as the Q permitted by regulatory authorities, V or thereabouts being the norm.

I see your pain, you're looking for ways to cut back on the cost of UHP sets, which are extortionate I agree. But I doubt a lower rated prime tyre set would save you a great deal of money in those sizes. Would a 245/40R18 Y tyres on the back be illegal for your car as a winter tyre? Winter tyres often should be a bit narrower, better on wet (less aquaplaning) and slushy roads (less sliding). I doubt speed rating in this category would make much of a difference. Tyre dimensions do.

Just an aside:

Never thought about wanting to go lower rating for cost though...but I see your point, I guess 160km/h is plenty if you never really speed. Personally, I'd never consider any tyre below V even for my IS300h. I don't want to second-guess my tyre if it's on the structural limit in case doing a flat out stint in Germany, which occasionally means actual 125mph for some miles. Also, higher speed rating should mean better performance at any speed, at least that's what Big Tyre says. 

More importantly, it's a sensible trade-off for my time and peace of mind not having to research yet another topic in great depth to understand the technical content of these ratings. In what conditions are those ratings met (pressure, temperature, road abrasiveness, axle weights, g-loads)? Are they specified for a brand new tyre or do they need to be met at a certain age (say 5 years) and wear level (e.g. at legal tread depth)?

1 hour ago, DBIZO said:

I see your pain, you're looking for ways to cut back on the cost of UHP sets, which are extortionate I agree. … Would a 245/40R18 Y tyres on the back be illegal for your car as a winter tyre? ….

Never thought about wanting to go lower rating for cost though...but I see your point, I guess 160km/h is plenty if you never really speed. Personally, I'd never consider any tyre below V ….I don't want to second-guess my tyre if it's on the structural limit in case doing a flat out stint in Germany, which occasionally means actual 125mph for some miles….. Also, higher speed rating should mean better performance at any speed, at least that's what Big Tyre says. 

No pain, but thanks for the thought. I’m far from looking to cut back on the cost of UHP tyres (not that I don’t look for deals on them) at the expense of my peace of mind, but merely noting a regulatory oddity whereby officialdom would allow a Q speed rating for the   size(s) of winter tyres it prescribes for my car when it obvious they do not exist.  Not, of course, that it matters in reality since I buy what I must at the best price I can get.  Yes, 245/40/R18 Y rear winter (and summer) tyres would be illegal on my RC300h F-Sport, though not, I believe, on the normal model. 

On twice-, or more, yearly drives from Italy to Denmark and back I regularly keep up speeds of 160-180kmh for long stints where allowed on the autobahn, adding up to maybe a bit more than one-third of the length of Germany, regardless of whether I happen to be on summer or winter tyres, and in the latter instances I have indeed always been grateful for a high speed rating such as, latterly, the W of my Pirelli Sottozeros.  As regards a higher speed rating meaning a better performance at any speed, I wouldn’t presume to disbelieve Big Tyre.

Renato,the only concern I would have with Conti 7 would be noise.Apparantly the Noise ratings on tyres are external/drive by readings.I would only be concerned with internal noise within the cabin.

As I've got quite a few months before mine need changing,I can do some more research and,who knows if more types of tyres become available in the correct size.

16 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

Renato,the only concern I would have with Conti 7 would be noise.Apparantly the Noise ratings on tyres are external/drive by readings.I would only be concerned with internal noise within the cabin.

As I've got quite a few months before mine need changing,I can do some more research and,who knows if more types of tyres become available in the correct size.

Yes, it would be nice if other manufacturers were to come out with the correct sizes.  As regards the cabin noise level, I am finding the SCs perfectly acceptable, but I think you’ll agree (especially in view of your long Bridgestone pedigree!!!) that noise levels mainly tend to increase as tyres age.   If the SCs  become noticeably noisier after, say, 5000km, I’ll report it. 

Interesting that noise ratings are external/drive-by readings, but I would think these are nevertheless a viable indicator of in-cabin acoustic comfort in brand comparisons.  Not that the figures seem to differ much from one brand to the next.

It would be obvious to think that the noise tyres make are outside the cabin. The noise inside the cabin will depend on how well insulated the car is. The luxury cars are usually well sound proofed, so the outside noise is not coming into the cabin as in less sound proofed cars.

Tyres makes different noise when driving on smooth paved roads, than when jumping around on cobblestones and potholes.

I believe that the sound measured by various car companies are made on smooth roads, as anything else will make no sense. The smoother the road the less noise.

Conti-Seal makes tyres close to puncture free:

https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/b2c/car/tyres/premiumcontact-6.html?articleID=03574900000

https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/b2c/car/tyres/contisportcontact-5.html?articleID=03573440000

image.thumb.png.335e60dbd00a9160e69d1c4238689e99.png

Continental also make SSR tyres that are run-flat without being heavy.

9 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

I believe that the sound measured by various car companies are made on smooth roads, as anything else will make no sense. The smoother the road the less the noise.

Because tyre manufacturers’ noise claims are quantified on the basis of  testing on smooth surfaces - and, as you say, John, it would make no sense for them to do otherwise - they rarely reflect real life except in countries where the road networks are of recent construction or are properly maintained. 

Still, one gets one’s pleasures where one can, and, on familiar routes, I look forward to the moments when the car comes to the end of stretches of bad road and enters smooth ones, for which recent repairs can usually be thanked.  The relative silence can be almost eery, but it is always nice.

I think in the UK tyres should be rated  for pothole damage resistance,noise levels when going in and out of them and road hump performance to give a true level of service life, comfort and noise levels. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I think in the UK tyres should be rated  for pothole damage resistance,noise levels when going in and out of them and road hump performance to give a true level of service life, comfort and noise levels. 😀

When reading such, it makes me think that the roads here are not bad at all.

image.png.224696bb6e84f8b6baca743258ce3885.png

3 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I think in the UK tyres should be rated  for pothole damage … etc.

My visits to the UK in recent years have been limited to London, so I have no idea how good or bad the roads might be in the provinces and countryside.  I can only say that news stories such as the one about Rod Stewart, no less, feeling the need to repair the potholes in his street, added to the grumbles I hear from British friends as well as LOC members, are not exactly of a nature likely to encourage foreign car tourists.  As regards London I confess I was surprised to spot a few minor potholes in the sort of well-heeled neighbourhoods where even smaller and less serious ones would once have been repaired overnight so as not to inconvenience the local ratepayers.

7 hours ago, Rabbers said:

My visits to the UK in recent years have been limited to London, so I have no idea how good or bad the roads might be in the provinces and countryside.  I can only say that news stories such as the one about Rod Stewart, no less, feeling the need to repair the potholes in his street, added to the grumbles I hear from British friends as well as LOC members, are not exactly of a nature likely to encourage foreign car tourists.  As regards London I confess I was surprised to spot a few minor potholes in the sort of well-heeled neighbourhoods where even smaller and less serious ones would once have been repaired overnight so as not to inconvenience the local ratepayers.

The tendency is called 'privatised profits and wealth with socialised costs'. 

8 hours ago, DBIZO said:

…  'privatised profits and wealth with socialised costs'. 

Great phrase, that.  I think I’ll use it whenever I can in future.  Contains a lot of alliteration as well as meaning.

• 1 month later...

I have now done 2500km on the Contis, and have nothing negative to report:  the ride is smooth and acceptably quiet at all speeds, the grip is remarkably good, so much so as to inspire a high degree of confidence in all non-winter weathers and conditions, and there are no signs of wear (at least to the naked eye).  In short, there is no performance- or quality-related reason why I might not want to buy the same tyres again.

Next week I’ll be undertaking an all-motorway (mainly autobahn) drive of 1600km>, and will report again if warranted - although at this point I wouldn’t expect the tyres to be any less than excellent.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links