Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Five thumbs ups!

After owning my UX for a couple of years the five things I really like and use!

Number one:the hands free boot release,once you get the knack it’s just so easy,for my sins I play golf 3 or 4 times a week and walk my dog every day so I’m always loading and unloading so this is a great feature.

Number two: the Mark Levinson sound system with CD player,I know it’s old fashioned and I do have music on usb sticks but a I have large collection of cds(I still purchase Vinyl and CDs! but it’s a bit hard to play the vinyl in the car!)

Number three: the heads up display,this is just so useful and easy and the fact that you never have to take your eyes off the road has got to be good thing.

Number four: the heated and chilled seats,I’ve never had chilled seats before but when we do have a nice hot sunny day wow they are fantastic!

Number five: this one will be contentious but I use the sport mode and paddles when I’m on a nice bit of road,I know it isn’t a sports car and I know it doesn’t have a gear change but it still puts a smile on my face.

What five things do you like and more importantly use?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow I wonder why they don’t do the kick feature anymore.I know when i first got the car it was very hit and miss using it, but then I watched a YouTube video from a Lexus USA dealer showing that you have to kick and step back and voila works every time!

I do love the heads-up display, yes. That’s very good indeed. When I got the car I thought it was a little ‘gimmiky’ but after a month or two I started to use it more than the usual speedo in the binnacle. 

Embarrassingly, I don’t recall having ever used the steering wheel paddles. With it being a CVT, I’d rather it just do it’s own thing! Occasionally, I’ve slotted it into sport mode but that’s as far as it’s ever gone with me... 

I have to admit I find the boot kick thingy on mine very temperamental. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, so I generally just stick to using the boot button on the key to open it and then pressing the button on the bootlid itself to close it again.

9 hours ago, Kissu said:

After owning my UX for a couple of years the five things I really like and use!

Number one:the hands free boot release,once you get the knack it’s just so easy,for my sins I play golf 3 or 4 times a week and walk my dog every day so I’m always loading and unloading so this is a great feature.

Number two: the Mark Levinson sound system with CD player,I know it’s old fashioned and I do have music on usb sticks but a I have large collection of cds(I still purchase Vinyl and CDs! but it’s a bit hard to play the vinyl in the car!)

Number three: the heads up display,this is just so useful and easy and the fact that you never have to take your eyes off the road has got to be good thing.

Number four: the heated and chilled seats,I’ve never had chilled seats before but when we do have a nice hot sunny day wow they are fantastic!

Number five: this one will be contentious but I use the sport mode and paddles when I’m on a nice bit of road,I know it isn’t a sports car and I know it doesn’t have a gear change but it still puts a smile on my face.

What five things do you like and more importantly use?

Glad you like these features, mine doesn't have any of them. 😔

3 hours ago, Kissu said:

Wow I wonder why they don’t do the kick feature anymore.I know when i first got the car it was very hit and miss using it, but then I watched a YouTube video from a Lexus USA dealer showing that you have to kick and step back and voila works every time!

Aye i use the boot kick Ian and i also watched the video i think it was Northfield Texas and the lady is called Mellisa

3 hours ago, Gary H said:

I do love the heads-up display, yes. That’s very good indeed. When I got the car I thought it was a little ‘gimmiky’ but after a month or two I started to use it more than the usual speedo in the binnacle. 

Embarrassingly, I don’t recall having ever used the steering wheel paddles. With it being a CVT, I’d rather it just do it’s own thing! Occasionally, I’ve slotted it into sport mode but that’s as far as it’s ever gone with me... 

I have to admit I find the boot kick thingy on mine very temperamental. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, so I generally just stick to using the boot button on the key to open it and then pressing the button on the bootlid itself to close it again.

You've reminded me Gary to havea look in the manual i too never use them but i think in certain situations they are useful. I watched a vid and sure it said something about regenerative braking. To be honest like you i let the cvt do the business for me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Navnan2 said:

Don't be sad Navnan2. Had most of those things on various vehicles and they are so seldom used that when you don't have them any more they're not really missed. I would like the tailgate but have managed fine for 47 years and probably will until I have to hand in my license!

I bet you do have a CD player though!

22 hours ago, Kissu said:

but it’s a bit hard to play the vinyl in the car!)

This reminded me of many moons ago when I was still growing 'bum fluff', my mate had a brother with a 2CV, and he ripped out the passenger seat to fit a Revox Reel-To-Reel.

So maybe someone somewhere has done the same and installed some record deck that can handle  movement of a car, though with todays pot-holes gonna be a lot of skipiing!!

51 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

This reminded me of many moons ago when I was still growing 'bum fluff', my mate had a brother with a 2CV, and he ripped out the passenger seat to fit a Revox Reel-To-Reel.

So maybe someone somewhere has done the same and installed some record deck that can handle  movement of a car, though with todays pot-holes gonna be a lot of skipiing!!

Chrysler fitted a record player back in the '50s

555840-fcaus1-0-15c4e0f7ee2717ad1fa18cbd

Pretty sure I saw a player fitted in a British marque from  the same time

There were record players available for cars,back in the 1960's.A bit before my (driving) time.I do remember seeing one when I was a school kid,starting to grow out of Dinky cars and terrorising the neighbourhood with my pedal car.

I WANT a record player in my car now!

As for using the “extras’ in cars it’s true that you don’t need them but sometimes they are nice.My wife’s car has none of the aforementioned extras but gets from A to B the same as my car!

Hi all, I really like the head up display and I agree about the safety aspect. The 360 degree camera is so handy for parking and getting the car in the garage. The power tailgate is good too and the ventilated seats were handy in the very hot weather of last summer. The Mark Levinson sound system is great but I wish it had a cd player. I know it may be 'old fashioned' to have one nowadays but I miss it. I had a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid and that had a 6 cd autochanger- those were the days!

• Like 1

I am thinking of possibly getting a UX for my wife but the Toyota CHR seems pretty decent too. What are the things you dont like about the UX apart from the lack of room in the back? Anyone experience with a CHR?

23 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

I am thinking of possibly getting a UX for my wife but the Toyota CHR seems pretty decent too. What are the things you dont like about the UX apart from the lack of room in the back? Anyone experience with a CHR?

I had a new C-HR for 5 months. Latest infotainment system was excellent and the voice control really worked, unlike my UX that keeps saying "Pardon"!*(see note below).

Fuel economy was almost as good as my wife's Yaris - on a warm day but below 6 or 7 degrees then I expected a 25% drop. Heater never warmed up in that bitterly cold spell we went through and I think this was a result of the extreme engine efficiency. I had a GR sport and it literally had everything you can think of except a power tailgate but in the time I had it I never even tried the Park assist and the Lane Assist was darned annoying.

It seemed to be built okay although there were a few rattles. The ride was very hard but it was a 'sport' model.

The C-HR is a really good crossover vehicle and with the right paint colour they look really impressive. Certainly eye-catching.

*Have fitted a Android Auto dongle in the UX and 'Hey Google' works flawlessly. Although Google maps functions well I still use the Lexus Nav as I like the Next Turn Notification in the main panel (behind the steering wheel) and of course this doesn't show with Google Maps.

• Thanks 1

We had a new CHR Dynamic top of the range for 3 years and in that time it was faultless apart from two annoying faults,the first was in those 3 years it had 2 new batteries replaced  by Toyota f.o.c and the second fault which the Toyota service manager said was a known fault was excessive moisture in the car/windscreen,I’ve never had a car with so much moisture in it,the windscreen would ice up inside frequently in the winter.The car was very economical returning over 60 mpg at times and was a joy to own (apart from the 2 faults mentioned).It’s hard to have a true comparison because at the end of the day there is a big price difference but the CHR is a very capable and smart looking car,it’s very well equipped and the boot is much bigger than the UX,as for comfort the seats in both cars are good with the UX edging it.It’s a hard choice but I think your wife would be happy with either.

• Thanks 1

Record player? Pah! I'd like an on-board gramophone! 😉 I do think either would be an incredibly odd but desirable option to have!

Yes - I have nothing much against the Toyota C-HR either. I've grown used to it's looks over the years. It's quite funky. It was just the dark and plasticky-feeling rear seat area which put me off it above all else. I generally get a feeling from just sitting in a car whether it's worth considering further consideration (such as a test drive). As someone who tends to carry a back seat passenger or two at weekends, I just knew they wouldn't be happy with the small window area. I knew I wouldn't - and it wasn't even me who was going to be sitting back there! 

22 hours ago, Navnan2 said:

Believe me, Barry... You aren’t missing anything with that hands-free boot release. It may very well be my feet, but mine is literally useless! 

I’ll admit it would be nice to have the additional facility of chilled seats (I just have heated fronts). I don’t listen to much in the way of music so I know the top spec Mark Levinson sound system would have been wasted on me if I’d had it.

• Thanks 1

Yes you are right the back of the CHR is very dark and with the slanted windows could be a bit claustrophobic.I very rarely carry  rear passengers so not a problem for me.I do remember the first time I saw a CHR in the showroom and I thought why didn’t they put a lighter colour headliner in to brighten the cars interior up.

On 4/11/2023 at 7:36 AM, Lmafudd said:

Don't be sad Navnan2. Had most of those things on various vehicles and they are so seldom used that when you don't have them any more they're not really missed. I would like the tailgate but have managed fine for 47 years and probably will until I have to hand in my license!

I bet you do have a CD player though!

Thanks for your reply Charles. I was just feeling like the poor relation 😁. Don't laugh but I recently replaced my UX with a MY23 model towards the end of last year and would you believe it the CD was removed with that upgrade! Shame as I still enjoy my CDs. 😄

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links