Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can I set my headlamps to come on after 10 sweeps of wipers

Can I set my headlamps to come on after 10 sweeps of wipers. I am familiar with this function coming from Jaguar and surprised that it is not a function that is apparent to me in my 2022 RX450. Is there a setting I have overlooked perhaps

32 minutes ago, Spiderrog said:

Can I set my headlamps to come on after 10 sweeps of wipers. I am familiar with this function coming from Jaguar and surprised that it is not a function that is apparent to me in my 2022 RX450. Is there a setting I have overlooked perhaps

Just out of interest, why would you want this particular function?

• Like 1

I had this function in my Mercedes, after the wipers operate for 30sec the headlamps come on automatically. This is a legal requirement in Germany (EU?), that headlamps are on in rain, I assumed MB simply automated the sequence.

Not sure if that is a requirement in Japan but must admit to missing it on my Lexus cars.

It's not something I've seen as a customisable feature in any tech doc.

• Like 1

When I had German cars the headlights coming on with the wipers was an excellent idea. However on the Japanese cars I have had, including Lexus, this feature has never been implemented. I was just discussing it last weekend with my daughter who has a Kia and they also do not have this feature so it seems to be something the far east marques do not do. 

• Like 1

Thanks, so its not me then,

Moleman - it is nice to have the reaasurance that you are staying legal when travelling in the pouring rain rather than simply manual switching on headlamps. Just the running lights will suffice I suppose but possibly not adequate

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I had this function in my Mercedes, after the wipers operate for 30sec the headlamps come on automatically. This is a legal requirement in Germany (EU?), that headlamps are on in rain, I assumed MB simply automated the sequence.

Not sure if that is a requirement in Japan but must admit to missing it on my Lexus cars.

It's not something I've seen as a customisable feature in any tech doc.

Never seen that before Peter, interesting.

Do you feel it is an important function?

If visibility changes, I usually just turn my main lights on. 

Sometimes I wonder if cars now have too many features. 🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spiderrog said:

Thanks, so its not me then,

Moleman - it is nice to have the reaasurance that you are staying legal when travelling in the pouring rain rather than simply manual switching on headlamps. Just the running lights will suffice I suppose but possibly not adequate

Interesting.

3 minutes ago, Moleman said:

I am left feeling we are becoming more a passenger than a driver in our own cars.

What do others feel?

• Like 1

Certainly automatic headlights are a function too far. People end up depending on them and not switching them on when they should (but when the automation doesn't work), eg in rain or in particular in fog. DRLs are not adequate - they don't illuminate the rear lights (I often wonder why not?)

Last weekend I drove over the Cairn O'Mount road in Scotland in very thick fog. Some cars had their headlights on, but most didn't. Cyclists too - no lights.

All this automation has stopped people thinking about the operation of their vehicles.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Not important but nice to have. That said I tend to switch headlamps on when I feel the need, not just rely on the auto function, although the light sensor in the Lexus seems very good.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, johnatg said:

- they don't illuminate the rear lights (I often wonder why not?)

All this automation has stopped people thinking about the operation of their vehicles.

I totally agree John, why did DRL stop at the front only? Rear lights are just as important and I see so many drivers at night driving on DRL only because its lights up the dash and they forget to turn the lights on.

Not always helpful progress.

Does the dash illuminate with just the DRLs on? I haven't noticed this.

DRLs were introduced to make approaching vehicles more visible to pedestrians, so illuminating the rear lights would be pointless.

Most modern cars with DRLs also have auto headlamps, unless the drivers are switching them off because "they come on too soon" ...

3 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Does the dash illuminate with just the DRLs on? I haven't noticed this.

DRLs were introduced to make approaching vehicles more visible to pedestrians, so illuminating the rear lights would be pointless.

Most modern cars with DRLs also have auto headlamps, unless the drivers are switching them off because "they come on too soon" ...

Lexus dash illuminates whenever the car is in 'Start' - at least it was in my IS250 and my GS300h - there's just a black screen otherwise. Some cars illuminate - many don't.

Maybe DRLs were introduced for pedestrians but they are actually useful to all road users. And too many cars drive around with just the DRLs showing at dusk - no rear lights.

My wife's Seat Mii has DRLs but the dash doesn't illuminate with them and no auto headlamp function.

25 minutes ago, Moleman said:

I am left feeling we are becoming more a passenger than a driver in our own cars.

What do others feel?

Would you like to go back to the days of hand cranking starts, crash gearboxes, manual ignition timing etc - probably not I suspect.

So I guess we all like to benefit from automation, but there will always be differing opinions on how it should be implemented and how people want to use it.

1 minute ago, Spock66 said:

Would you like to go back to the days of hand cranking starts, crash gearboxes, manual ignition timing etc - probably not I suspect.

So I guess we all like to benefit from automation, but there will always be differing opinions on how it should be implemented and how people want to use it.

Probably not Andrew, but I do feel the balance has moved too far toward fully automated driving, which I am not looking forward too.

Just an opinion on balance, between function/feature and driver choice.

Immediately when pressing START button DLR are lit, only front. Entering a tunnel after some seconds the main lights are on both front and rear.

Yes, too many not really needed things are becoming automatic. Automatic seat adjusting is nice and opening doors (and locking them too) without touching the remote key is nice. Automatic braking when driving with cruise control have made me not use cruise control.

11 hours ago, Spiderrog said:

There is no legal requirement in the UK for headlamps in rain, only if visibility is severely reduced to 100m or less (also the visibility distance when you can legally use fog lights). I've always found the auto lights would come on well before you get to that level of poor visibility.

If visibility is that bad then DRLs are not sufficient.

• Like 1

Do you have to resort to such language John it is most unbecoming for a Lexus owner, or maybe you ae not. Please keep your comments sensible and respectful or risk getting banned from this forum. Or maybe you just a 16 year old

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links