Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RCF Exhaust upgrade

I have a 2018 RCF which I bought two years ago and love almost everything about the car except the lack of a V8 rumble at low revs. When I was looking to buy a V8 I really liked the sound of the Mustang but felt that in every other respect the RCF was the better car. Has anyone fitted an aftermarket exhaust to their RCF that gives that V8 sound at low revs without making high speed cruising too noisy? Ideally I would like to hear what different systems actually sound like before committing to one. I have looked at Quicksilver and Invidia online as possibles, Armytrix is another option but would be quite an investment although it looks like that is a valved system. Any advice would be much appreciated and also if fitting a different exhaust impacts upon the Lexus warranty.

Thanks Nick

23 minutes ago, NickRCF said:

I have a 2018 RCF which I bought two years ago and love almost everything about the car except the lack of a V8 rumble at low revs. When I was looking to buy a V8 I really liked the sound of the Mustang but felt that in every other respect the RCF was the better car. Has anyone fitted an aftermarket exhaust to their RCF that gives that V8 sound at low revs without making high speed cruising too noisy? Ideally I would like to hear what different systems actually sound like before committing to one. I have looked at Quicksilver and Invidia online as possibles, Armytrix is another option but would be quite an investment although it looks like that is a valved system. Any advice would be much appreciated and also if fitting a different exhaust impacts upon the Lexus warranty.

Thanks Nick

Nick,

Speak to Tony Banks in Leeds.

They can bespoke anything you wish - - and they're first-class fabricators

https://www.tonybanks.co.uk/

You're right the car sounds far too castrated in standard form.

I have a Quicksilver on mine and love it, I bought it dead cheap but with the benefit on hindsight I'd have bought a valved system.

Having said that I enjoy playing around in manual at motorway speeds to subdue the drone which can occur, you can of course just turn the sound system up to eliminate the drone.

All the F’s have the same issue from the factory.  I didn’t get round to changing the exhaust on my previous ISF, but jumped at joining a group buy for the Quicksilver exhaust as I was determined not to make the same mistake with the RCF & I’m so glad I did.

There is a little drone at motorway cruising speed, but from my perspective it’s so much better than the standard exhaust.  However I do appreciate that the exhaust sound & tolerance to any drone is a very personal thing.  I’m sure a valved system will be a better more practical option, but it’s also a much more expensive one.

l’m very happy with the Quicksilver & it completely changed my enjoyment of the car, so I hope you find a system that suits, as you will not regret changing it to release the full V8.  Good luck👍🏻

2 hours ago, DAW said:

All the F’s have the same issue from the factory.  I didn’t get round to changing the exhaust on my previous ISF, but jumped at joining a group buy for the Quicksilver exhaust as I was determined not to make the same mistake with the RCF & I’m so glad I did.

There is a little drone at motorway cruising speed, but from my perspective it’s so much better than the standard exhaust.  However I do appreciate that the exhaust sound & tolerance to any drone is a very personal thing.  I’m sure a valved system will be a better more practical option, but it’s also a much more expensive one.

l’m very happy with the Quicksilver & it completely changed my enjoyment of the car, so I hope you find a system that suits, as you will not regret changing it to release the full V8.  Good luck👍🏻

I agree with those that say it’s a personal choice.

When I had an RCF, I opted for Quicksilver. Great noise when ragging it and not too bad at motorway speeds. BUT, it annoyed me when trying to drive the car at normal speeds where there was a definite drone. I’ve yet to hear an aftermarket F exhaust that doesn’t drone somewhere in the Rev range. 

If it was me, I’d only entertain a valved system.

interestingly, with the LC, Lexus made big improvements exhaust wise.

I thought id might end up wanting a sporty exhaust on the RCF but when I see footage of a mustang or something I realise that having that noise all the time would actually be irritating & i find that being able to have a refined quiet ride or put it in sport+ to hear the exhaust is pretty good, especially in you go through a tunnel, plus all the exhausts for the RCF are very expensive & I dont think the regular RCF looks aggressive enough to pull off a constant V8 sound, apart from the track edition, which is another reason why the track edition is such a wasted opportunity. Also when i was looking to buy an RCF I was turned off by any modified ones. 

I was initially eyeing this Blitz Nur spec up at £4000 though. 

https://www.fensport.co.uk/collections/lexus-rc-f-v8-usc10-09-14/products/blitz-nur-spec-f-ti-exhaust-system-lexus-rc-f

16 hours ago, B1RMA said:

You're right the car sounds far too castrated in standard form.

I have a Quicksilver on mine and love it, I bought it dead cheap but with the benefit on hindsight I'd have bought a valved system.

Having said that I enjoy playing around in manual at motorway speeds to subdue the drone which can occur, you can of course just turn the sound system up to eliminate the drone.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It does sound like a valved system might be best but they don't come cheap! Also beginning to worry what a non standard exhaust might do to the resale value, it won't be to everyone's taste.

15 hours ago, DAW said:

Thanks for your advice. I think the valved system might give me what I am looking for but it comes at a price. Not sure that I could commit to that sort of cost without being able to hear one in action.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Flytvr said:

I agree with those that say it’s a personal choice.

When I had an RCF, I opted for Quicksilver. Great noise when ragging it and not too bad at motorway speeds. BUT, it annoyed me when trying to drive the car at normal speeds where there was a definite drone. I’ve yet to hear an aftermarket F exhaust that doesn’t drone somewhere in the Rev range. 

If it was me, I’d only entertain a valved system.

interestingly, with the LC, Lexus made big improvements exhaust wise.

Thanks for the reply. I gree that the LC sounds much better, just a shame Lexus don't offer the equivalent for the RCF.

11 hours ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

I thought id might end up wanting a sporty exhaust on the RCF but when I see footage of a mustang or something I realise that having that noise all the time would actually be irritating & i find that being able to have a refined quiet ride or put it in sport+ to hear the exhaust is pretty good, especially in you go through a tunnel, plus all the exhausts for the RCF are very expensive & I dont think the regular RCF looks aggressive enough to pull off a constant V8 sound, apart from the track edition, which is another reason why the track edition is such a wasted opportunity. Also when i was looking to buy an RCF I was turned off by any modified ones. 

I was initially eyeing this Blitz Nur spec up at £4000 though. 

https://www.fensport.co.uk/collections/lexus-rc-f-v8-usc10-09-14/products/blitz-nur-spec-f-ti-exhaust-system-lexus-rc-f

Thanks for the response. You make a good point about how a modified car might be viewed when it comes time to sell, not everyone wants a loud exhaust.

Is the Blitz Nur Spec a valved system? I couldn't see any mention of it on the link you provided.

18 minutes ago, NickRCF said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. It does sound like a valved system might be best but they don't come cheap! Also beginning to worry what a non standard exhaust might do to the resale value, it won't be to everyone's taste.

Just do what I've done and keep the standard exhaust. I used one of the ramp hire companies that are luckily two minutes from my house. Hired the ramp for two hours but it only took just over an hour to do.

I know another member on here had an Armytrix fitted by a very good outfit, can't remember who.

You can always put the standard exhaust  back on to sell it and there will probably always be a secondhand market for the aftermarket. So whatever you buy will have a return in the end.

18 hours ago, NickRCF said:

Thanks Nick

I have the Hayward and Scott exhaust and love it.  It’s reasonably priced, good quality and the additional noise is brilliant.  A personal highlight for me that many haven’t mentioned is the look of the tips.  I personally find the H&S to have the best look retaining an almost OEM feel.  It honestly looks like it’s factory fit!

+1 regarding easy fitting also, did mine on axle stands in about 1hr.

1 hour ago, B1RMA said:

Just do what I've done and keep the standard exhaust. I used one of the ramp hire companies that are luckily two minutes from my house. Hired the ramp for two hours but it only took just over an hour to do.

I know another member on here had an Armytrix fitted by a very good outfit, can't remember who.

You can always put the standard exhaust  back on to sell it and there will probably always be a secondhand market for the aftermarket. So whatever you buy will have a return in the end.

I meant to say keep the standard as a spare so you can re-fit when you decide to sell.

I had a manual transmission golf R before I got the RCF & I used the OBD to disable the exhaust baffles so they were permanently open. I came from Nissan S15 with a sports exhaust, where i could tell when to change gear by the exhaust note, I found it really difficult at first to drive the Golf fast as i couldnt hear the engine or exhaust at all. I ended up reactivating them,  but as I owned the OBD thing already it was free & made the car louder all the time. 

Wonder if you can try opening up the stock exhaust all the time using the Techstream thing. 

• Like 1

Ive the Armytrix Valvetronic system fitted on mine for just under 4yrs and still love it to this day…. Just a smidge under £5k 😬 but to this day i say its worth every penny and i still grin and giggle like a girl 😂 when opened up (the valves i mean 😉)

i bought mine from Armytrix uk and fitted and supplied by TUX auto which is part of  LK performance down in Cleckheaton

brill bit of kit and valves can be operated either by key fob or by Bluetooth app on phone… the app also gives you live running results on many different parts to your engine as is linked up to a Bluetooth control plugged into OBDi port plus any trouble codes if any arise….

if you go down this way ie Armytrix i strongly suggest you get a proper  company to fit as it needs programmed and married into cars system

IMG_1241.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

I had a manual transmission golf R before I got the RCF & I used the OBD to disable the exhaust baffles so they were permanently open. I came from Nissan S15 with a sports exhaust, where i could tell when to change gear by the exhaust note, I found it really difficult at first to drive the Golf fast as i couldnt hear the engine or exhaust at all. I ended up reactivating them,  but as I owned the OBD thing already it was free & made the car louder all the time. 

Wonder if you can try opening up the stock exhaust all the time using the Techstream thing. 

Thanks for your reply. I think what you are able  to do via OBD is a bit beyond me! I haven't heard of anyone being able to make any changes via Techstream but I'm afraid I wouldn't know where to start but thanks for you suggestion.

34 minutes ago, mr2lad said:

Sound quality ain’t the best being recorded off my phone as sounds way better in person 👍🏻

IMG_2643.mov

That does sound good. It would seem that the Armytrix system is the ultimate solution. With the valves closed how close to the stock system does it sound?

10 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

I have the Hayward and Scott exhaust and love it.  It’s reasonably priced, good quality and the additional noise is brilliant.  A personal highlight for me that many haven’t mentioned is the look of the tips.  I personally find the H&S to have the best look retaining an almost OEM feel.  It honestly looks like it’s factory fit!

+1 regarding easy fitting also, did mine on axle stands in about 1hr.

I have the same solution and that’s all I ever needed here. 

13 hours ago, NickRCF said:

That does sound good. It would seem that the Armytrix system is the ultimate solution. With the valves closed how close to the stock system does it sound?

It is louder than stock with valves closed, slightly,

certainly lets the V8 breath and growls better, and certainly noticeable in a good way with valves open as and when you want 🙉😂👍🏻,

I wouldn’t ever go back to stock, and when or if i upgrade my car next one is getting the same system,

I only had the stock system on the RCF for 3mths after i bought it ,before i put the Armytrix system on so cant remember exactly the difference, 

System still looks pretty new after 4yrs off being fitted and over 50k of mileage use, although i do polish it up frequently, lots of crawling about under car 😆 

defo keep your OEM system tho

i have kept all the OEM parts that ive changed on my F, hence i have a garage full of parts from exhaust bonnets active spoiler cold air intake alloys etc as i know that regardless ive spent in excess of a extra 15k on this car i cant add that on if i sold it, (id sell aftermarket parts separately if need be)… only ONCE I’ve contemplated on selling then looked out my window and saw it sat there gleaming and looking menacing so  that stupid idea was only in my head for a split second 😂 

C86D2E89-B660-4C9D-89CB-2DB4D13991A0.jpeg

IMG_4701.jpeg

1 hour ago, ISF V8 JAY said:

Go for the quicksilver option, doesn't affect the Lexus warranty.

sounds even better when in sport plus and paddles 👀

Having spoke to my main dealer, I’m not convinced many of them do affect warranty.

I also sought clarity regarding warranty when I had my exhaust. As outlined by the dealership - Warranty will be fine as long as any future faults cannot be linked to the afternarket part installed. If you have a brake based problem that could be rectified under warranty, can hardly be linked to having an exhaust fitted and as such void!

I would have to say that all the options available offer a level over OEM, just depends how much V8 you want 😛 and how much/ little you care about your neighbours 😉

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links