Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Where did Ex Lexus Owners go to?

dutchie01

I have noticed that over the years various members of the LOC have sold their Lexus and went to other makes.

I am one of them and am now driving a Volvo XC60- T6 Recharge plug in.

For me the reason was simply a lack of choice. The new NX was not available yet and the range is just not big enough.

Volvo was the only brand i feel connected to outside Lexus, especially after driving Saabs for many years.

However i hope one day i can return to the brand.

How did this go for you, where did you go to and why?

Exactly the same for me, although for me it was the lack of choice of a suitable saloon car.

I defected to Kia and have been happy since.

Having said that, I too hope to be a Lexus owner again some day.

• Like 1

We're still driving lexus and Volvo for now. But with no new is model in the UK were looking for an alternative, I don't think I'd buy a newer Volvo now either. Too Chinese.

I think the P3 V70 will go next year and il buy an older P2 V70 I much preferred the P2. It was a proper Volvo! 

As for the as for the is300h we are due a change and can't find anything better.

Long term Ls400 owner ..........  25 years or so ....... I've always wanted a good saloon car tbh    AND    a 2006 Honda Legend owner for about 7 years now to which we migrated from a Mazda  323f  ( wot a wizz of a brilliant little sporty car that was eh ! )

If I needed an estate type car I would go for a Honda possibly

SUVs cause me limbo probs getting in and out, up, ........... but not down 😆

Malc

• Like 1

I was close to being an ex Lexus owner after only one car some after the fateful decision not to bring the latest IS to the UK. There's nothing else in the range I want. However, with the EV mess I've decided I'm probably best served keeping my current IS 300h for the foreseeable future to see how things pan out over the next few years - so a reprieve for now. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

…. There's nothing else in the range I want. However, with the EV mess I've decided I'm probably best served keeping my current IS 300h for the foreseeable future to see how things pan out over the next few years - so a reprieve for now. 

Substitute “RC” for “IS” to exactly reflect my own current thinking.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shada said:

We're still driving lexus and Volvo for now. But with no new is model in the UK were looking for an alternative, I don't think I'd buy a newer Volvo now either. Too Chinese.

I think the P3 V70 will go next year and il buy an older P2 V70 I much preferred the P2. It was a proper Volvo! 

As for the as for the is300h we are due a change and can't find anything better.

Too Chineeese? 

My S60 T5 ( which was very nice and quite quick ) was made in South Carolina USA. Almost as expensive as Lexus to service. What no dipstick?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMB said:

Too Chineeese? 

My S60 T5 ( which was very nice and quite quick ) was made in South Carolina USA. Almost as expensive as Lexus to service. What no dipstick?

Chinese GEELY is the mothercompany of Volvo amongst others and basically acts as a bank and engineering powerhouse. The individual brands all have their own organisation, management and sites. Volvos are designed in Sweden and California, produced in Belgium, Sweden USA and some EV models in China. Volvo is swedish and owned by a Chinese automotive conglomerate.

1 hour ago, GMB said:

What no dipstick?

strange you say this  ..  many moons ago ( 1990's ) my car sales business partner's dad had a new Mercedes with NO DIPSTICK to check the level  .  seemed a little disconcerting at the time  .  and even now i would say

BUT is that typical of a modern car now ?

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

strange you say this  ..  many moons ago ( 1990's ) my car sales business partner's dad had a new Mercedes with NO DIPSTICK to check the level  .  seemed a little disconcerting at the time  .  and even now i would say

Malc

My lexus has two dipsticks. One in the engine bay and the other one behind the steering wheel. I know, my wife told me so.

BTW The problem with a missing dipstick is that you cannot do preventative maintenance. I suppose the engine oil light will come on well before it gets too low , but that seems a bit dramatic if that comes on while you are driving on a motorway

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Chinese GEELY is the mothercompany of Volvo amongst others and basically acts as a bank and engineering powerhouse. The individual brands all have their own organisation, management and sites. Volvos are designed in Sweden and California, produced in Belgium, Sweden USA and some EV models in China. Volvo is swedish and owned by a Chinese automotive conglomerate.

Although I’ve driven a few Volvos as rentals over the years, I’ve never been a prospective buyer of one.  This is mainly because I developed an  irrational - and completely unfair - dislike for the marque during the two years I spent working in Scandinavia in the 80s.  They were by far the most common “quality” cars throughout the region at the time (and still seem to be today, though less so).  You would see them everywhere, often as different generations of the same models with, among them, quite a few ancient but well-kept specimens invariably with “sensible” owners at the wheel.  The carefully cultivated - and entirely justified - house image was one of reliability, ruggedness and suitability for the harsh territory and climate.  In short, they were solid, muscular and, despite being built by and for people with a Viking heritage, rather boring.  Even the company’s CEO, who seemed to give TV interviews every other day, projected an appropriately Viking image in both his name and personal presence.  He was called Pehr Gyllenhammar, meaning “Peter Golden Hammer”, which, if you were looking for a horned-helmet vibe, was as good as it gets.

9 hours ago, GMB said:

BTW The problem with a missing dipstick is that you cannot do preventative maintenance. I suppose the engine oil light will come on well before it gets too low.

Well, not always. My wife had a BMW 118 petrol and without dipstick. I found the enginesound rough, more metallish after a year and asked the dealer to check up on oil. Light was not on and all systems OK according to the electronics. Needed a top up of 1.5 litre...

I am one of the nerdy types checking oil, tyre pressure, remove leafs from under the hood, clean the engine bay check up on cables and so on. Nonsense as todays cars dont need that but its still in my system from old times. I want a dipstick

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Although I’ve driven a few Volvos as rentals over the years, I’ve never been a prospective buyer of one.  This is mainly because I developed an  irrational - and completely unfair - dislike for the marque during the two years I spent working in Scandinavia in the 80s.  They were by far the most common “quality” cars throughout the region at the time (and still seem to be today, though less so).  You would see them everywhere, often as different generations of the same models with, among them, quite a few ancient but well-kept specimens invariably with “sensible” owners at the wheel.  The carefully cultivated - and entirely justified - house image was one of reliability, ruggedness and suitability for the harsh territory and climate.  In short, they were solid, muscular and, despite being built by and for people with a Viking heritage, rather boring.  Even the company’s CEO, who seemed to give TV interviews every other day, projected an appropriately Viking image in both his name and personal presence.  He was called Pehr Gyllenhammar, meaning “Peter Golden Hammer”, which, if you were looking for a horned-helmet vibe, was as good as it gets.

I sometimes drive in Sweden from Stockholm to Gothenburg or Malmo and when i am bored driving through endless forests i always play thesame game. Count the Volvo. It is simply incredible sometimes it seems 70% of cars in Sweden are Volvos!

BTW Rabbers, you have a very beautiful and individual RC. Would the new Polestar 4 be interesting for you?

I bought at auction once, for my old car sales business, by mistake really,  a simply smashing Volvo T5 estate for not much ££££  ....  had intended to buy an ordinary Volvo estate of that ilk but bought inadvertently and drove home the simply fabulous T5

wondrous and happy very very quick and fast car too .  sold almost immediately at, of course, a handsome profit 🤩

Malc

16 hours ago, GMB said:

Too Chineeese? 

What age was your old S60? I bet it was a proper Volvo P2 platform exactly like I plan to go back to.

Driven a new v90 or anything Volvo made in the last 4 years? Nothing like previous quality, cheap built and flimsy inside, ***** poor seats too which was the best part of a proper volvo

Interesting Volvo talk, as I came to Lexus from Volvo and have been a long time fan but after my last XC70 with the great D5 engine and the problem that I need to drive into the London ULEZ zone a change was needed. My first experience was many years ago with the old (DAF) 340 with the Renault 1.7 engine then an upgrade to the 740 saloon which was a great car and and the seats were so comfortable. The XC70 which was a P3 was very reliable and I owned it for 7 years the longest I ever owned a car it had 195k on the clock when I sold it but that engine still pulled like a train. I'd have another any day.

I did consider the newer S60 before I went to Lexus, if there was a newer or current C70 I'd still be driving a Volvo.

IMG_0137.JPG

6 hours ago, Shada said:

What age was your old S60? I bet it was a proper Volvo P2 platform exactly like I plan to go back to.

Driven a new v90 or anything Volvo made in the last 4 years? Nothing like previous quality, cheap built and flimsy inside, ***** poor seats too which was the best part of a proper volvo

The S60 was a 2019  - 69 plate top of the range, beautifully finished, fantastic seats etc. I bought it because I saw one overtake me a couple of years back and loved the design. On a road test I was very impressed and bought an ex-Volvo demo car. 100% reliable and very nippy. I really wanted a T6 or T8 but they were as rare as hens teeth. 

I think the polestars are not as nice as they once were, look a bit lumpy like those horrid fat Teslas. The only one worth considering is the Polestar 1. Think Gold dust prices!  £150K approx. for a decent one.   0-60   3.8seconds😻.

"Polestar 1 is also the embodiment of driving joy. With three electric motors and one petrol engine, its hybrid drivetrain has a combined power output of 609 hp and 1,000 Nm of torque, making driving responsive, thrilling, and unparalleled."

Polestar's hybrid sports car is the start of something special ...

10 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

..... Would the new Polestar 4 be interesting for you?

I think I might have caught a glimpse of a Polestar, possibly a 2, on the motorway in CH recently, but I've never seen one close up.  While seeming rather expensive and perhaps a bit big for my personal taste and needs, they are undoubtedly worth a closer look from a design and performance point of view   From pictures I find it difficult to tell if the Scandinavian minimalism of the cabin might not be a bit too spartan for my taste.  Interestingly, the association with Volvo should mean that the service network will be adequate from the start, and this is a big plus.  Regrettably (though I won't make a drama out of it) I am largely prevented from owning an EV because I live in a building listed as being of historical interest, which means that recharging points cannot be placed anywhere on the outer perimeter or even within view of it.  I could probably get around this restriction one way or another but, tbh, I don't really want to.  As regards public charging points, Italy is lagging way behind other countries in numbers, and the situation in semi-rural areas and many small towns in particular is unlikely to improve anytime soon.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Malc

My BMW435i had no dipstick you had to go through the menus to run an oil level check, it took longer than opening the bonnet and doing it manually 

I moved from Ford to Lexus. From a 1.6 diesel Focus to a lovely is300h premier premium. Unfortunately I couldn't get to grips with the CVT so after 5 weeks I went back to Ford. A Mondeo titanium x sport ecoboost. After about 18 months I went back to an identical is300h but OMG how different the two 300h's were. The first was awful yet the second outstanding. After a year or so I swapped for the F-sport RX450H. Needed extra interior space etc.

Because of financial difficulties it had to go so I went back to Ford. A Mondeo titanium x sport 2.2 diesel auto. Fabulous ford's I had but after a year or so I had a hankering to go back to Lexus. I'd always loved the look of the gen 2 IS and I found the car I've had now over three years. 

So over a good number of years I've pogo'd between Lexus and Ford. 

Once you've had the best you'll Always go back to it 😁

Oh I've never bought new and never will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

…. So over a good number of years I've pogo'd between Lexus and Ford. …

Big swing, that.  Like between caviar and baked beans …

• Haha 6

I moved from Lexus to Lexus... I know that is not leaving, but the reasons are very similar to the rest above. Basically I could not find way to progress with the current brand models, so I went back to owning older Lexus. It may seem like "I am staying with the brand", but as far as Lexus is concerned they already lost me as the customer, that I am buying some of the cars they made 17 years ago from the 5th owner doesn't move their sales target in 1 micron. 

Now again my reasons, circumstances and impact that has on Lexus maybe are different. I have always been the person who buys 2-5 years old cars (and I am not considering of changing, brand new car just doesn't interest me), so for me it was always very important what Lexus has in "pipeline"... In 2008 Lexus was selling loads of IS250s, so it was obvious that by 2012 that will be the car I would picking-up used. But let's think of what Lexus are selling now... UX, NX, RX, few ES and that is about it. Maybe LM 😄 there will be nothing that will interest me used in say 5 years time. So once used IS250s pool dries-up and they become more trouble than they are worth (and I argue that is already happening, just look how many new threads are created with electrical issues every week) I will be leaving Lexus for good. Sure... I may eventually come across RC-F, GS450h, GS-F, LC... but I would argue it is unlikely. Remember my target is used, but still relatively modern cars, ideally less than 5 years old. And even newest on the list (the LC) is already getting past that. So by the time I find them for decent price, they may as well be too old for me to be interested.

In short I was already bottom feeding for years because of lack of interesting models. I stayed in my last IS250 for way longer than I was planning. I used to change cars ~every 2-3 years, but I had IS250 for 6... and that was already my 3rd one! It really got to the point where I thought I could not get rid of it and the only reason I did was that I was forced to change, because car was written-off by insurance. Why was that? Because even back in 2016 I had no choice... IS300h was never my cup of tea, GS450h in my opinion just too big, RC300h more or less same issues as IS. Yes I ended-up picking RC200t from desperation really, but that turned out to be mistake. So really the only way was backwards, but I really doubt I could stomach another IS250 after this one. I mean by now they getting really really old, maybe mk3, but those are stupidly priced - 10 years old car for £14k... that was IS-F money when I bought my last IS250 in 2016 - no thanks!

I honestly think, that in another 3 years I probably will get something like BMW 8-Series, should be depreciated sufficiently for me by then, maybe E-Class coupe, E53 preferably. Unless miraculously LCs will be under 20k, which I doubt. I may entertain the idea of cheap RC-F, but in 3 years time they will be 12 years old, so again unlikely. In summary, my point is - I really need to bend my own rules to justify it and be creative to find ways to stay with Lexus.

22 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Now thats an interesting one, BMW 8 series. did not think of that.  Btw the 6 series seems pretty cheap but then again you have to sell it after some years.

I was considering 6-Series when buying my RC... to be honest I should have went with 6-Series... probably would still own it to this day. 8-Series is just rebadged 6-Series in principle. And if their prices will follow the same trend I can see myself picking-up 840i M-Sport for under 20k in few years time. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links