Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

(Almost) a new lexus owner

atticus

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and also new to Lexus.

I'm moving from a 318i, and have put down a deposit on an es300h, three years old. Luxury trim.

Switching because I had looked an IS and a 330e, and wasn't happy with either, but I just loved the ES.

Will be looking to complete early next week. Is there anything that I should check for / be aware of / ask the dealer (I am buying from a Lexus dealer)?

Speaking from my own experience, just do it. Mine was an ex-demonstrator and since October 2021 it has been flawless. The only issues I think we all have are the oil tanker sized turning circle (you get used to parking in sympathetic spaces) and the car's propensity to stop and pick people up at taxi ranks (that's a forum in-joke by the way).

I think it's a great car. Yes the materials aren't up to the same quality as previous generation Lexi and it "doesn't handle as well as or go as fast as the German opposition" but does that really matter? It'll last significantly longer and be much less of a head and wallet ache.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

Speaking from my own experience, just do it. Mine was an ex-demonstrator and since October 2021 it has been flawless. The only issues I think we all have are the oil tanker sized turning circle (you get used to parking in sympathetic spaces) and the car's propensity to stop and pick people up at taxi ranks (that's a forum in-joke by the way).

I'm well used to trudging down to the far end of a car park and find a space well away from everyone else.
And then finding that lonely car syndrome has struck again!

As a long time beamer owner, I'm hoping to find that with a lexus, I may find occasionally have someone let me out at junctions...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, atticus said:

As a long time beamer owner

Ask the dealer to explain what indicators are, and when you should use them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Dippo said:

That's an excellent point. 

The other thing is you won't find yourself automatically drawn to the outermost lane of multiple carriageway roads anymore 🙂

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, atticus said:

As a long time beamer owner, I'm hoping to find that with a lexus, I may find occasionally have someone let me out at junctions...

You will find that young boys look at your car and give you a deserved thumbs up as well.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Dippo said:

The what now?

36 minutes ago, Mincey said:

That's an excellent point. 

The other thing is you won't find yourself automatically drawn to the outermost lane of multiple carriageway roads anymore 🙂

I've been told that eco-pro mode on the car gives pretty good efficiency?

In all seriousness, it seems there aren't issues to be on the alert for with regards to the car?

• Like 2

Mine hasn't got to that age yet so I'm not certain whether or not this applies, but if your prospective purchase is three years old it might be worth asking the dealer to ensure that the maps are updated to the latest version.

• Like 2

Welcome to es300h ownership. You have made a good choice. As many have already said good solid reliable car, materials inside a tad disappointing, turning circle tight but overall a very competatant car. It's from a main dealer you won't need to watch out for anything really! 

Good luck! 

• Like 2

Try to get the dealer to update the software to include apple Car Play/ Android auto F.O.C. if you can. Otherwise about £ 250 & the standard nav is the only thing I dislike about my ES 2019 (premium pack).

I’ve probably owned 20+ cars over the last 15 years (Jags, Volvos, BMWs, Mercs) & more recently a Lexus GS 300h, NX 300h & now the ES. The Lexus are far & away the best of them. The GS was getting a bit dated & not very fuel efficient, I no longer need the load capacity of the NX. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cymrymdt said:

Try to get the dealer to update the software to include Apple Car Play/ Android auto F.O.C. if you can. Otherwise about £ 250 & the standard nav is the only thing I dislike about my ES 2019 (premium pack).

I’ve probably owned 20+ cars over the last 15 years (Jags, Volvos, BMWs, Mercs) & more recently a Lexus GS 300h, NX 300h & now the ES. The Lexus are far & away the best of them. The GS was getting a bit dated & not very fuel efficient, I no longer need the load capacity of the NX. 

I think it does come with Android auto, the dealer mentioned that.

Yes, the nav system on the bmw was a lot better, but it makes you very dependent on it when going somewhere new. However, I've decided that this is my opportunity to get back into the habit of actual maps and planning journeys.

8 hours ago, atticus said:

I think it does come with Android auto, the dealer mentioned that.

Yes, the nav system on the bmw was a lot better, but it makes you very dependent on it when going somewhere new. However, I've decided that this is my opportunity to get back into the habit of actual maps and planning journeys.

I use Waze/Google Maps over the inbuilt Sat Nav - it's much easier. The other thing I'd recommend is Wireless Android Auto with one of these: https://www.aawireless.io/ It fits nicely into the mobile phone holder next to the USB ports.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2023 at 12:51 PM, atticus said:

Will be looking to complete early next week. Is there anything that I should check for / be aware of / ask the dealer (I am buying from a Lexus dealer)?

Are you an owner yet?

3 minutes ago, Dippo said:

Are you an owner yet?

Almost! The dealer is carrying out a service and fixing up some bodywork (couple of scratches and a dent). Once that is done, I will collect the car. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, atticus said:

Almost! The dealer is carrying out a service and fixing up some bodywork (couple of scratches and a dent). Once that is done, I will collect the car. 

You won’t get a spare wheel with the ES, just a can of goo. I assume it was the same with the BMW unless you had run flats?
There is a solution, see the thread here if you’re interested- 

• Like 1

Picked up my ES300H yesterday, mine has Car Play / Android Auto - but wired, so wondering whilst the wireless charger is in the armrest but the USB port on the dash, has anyone tried hardwiring and extension from the dash USB into the armrest so one can charge the phone and play Car Play at the same time, and have somewhere discreet for your phone to rest during a trip?

17 hours ago, HotSpur-Lexus said:

Picked up my ES300H yesterday, mine has Car Play / Android Auto - but wired, so wondering whilst the wireless charger is in the armrest but the USB port on the dash, has anyone tried hardwiring and extension from the dash USB into the armrest so one can charge the phone and play Car Play at the same time, and have somewhere discreet for your phone to rest during a trip?

The AAWireless device that has been mentioned previously only works with Android phones (and therefore Android Auto) however there are similar devices available for apple phones and apple CarPlay, for example:-

https://cplay2air.com/en-gb

[I can't vouch for this one specifically - just giving you an example - other owners on here may be able to guide you]

In my opinion this would be a better solution to running wires from the dash USB port into the armrest. Simply plug the wireless adapter into the USB port and then run wireless CarPlay with the phone on the wireless charger in the armrest.

The title of this thread should be updated to 'A new lexus owner'.

Picked up the car, took it for a 100km spin through city, motorway and mountain driving.

Can't complain so far - and I don't know if this is just me over compensating for giving up a beamer, but I no longer feel the need to throw the car into and out of every corner you pass, and to race past every other car, it is just so comfortable and relaxing a drive!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, atticus said:

The title of this thread should be updated to 'A new lexus owner'.

Picked up the car, took it for a 100k spin through city, motorway and mountain driving.

Can't complain so far - and I don't know if this is just me over compensating for giving up a beamer, but I no longer feel the need to throw the car into and out of every corner you pass, and to race past every other car, it is just so comfortable and relaxing a drive!

Congratulations, comfortable and relaxing certainly sums the ES up, although I do think a 100000 mile spin would test that statement 😂

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links