Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Eighteen months with an RX450h

I haven’t posted on here much recently. It isn’t that I don’t read the forums, it’s just that I don’t have much to contribute. I’m not mechanically (or practically) minded at all, and my RX continues to be a) faultless and b) faultless 😁

Anyway, after eighteen months, what do I think of my choice? Are there any downsides to RX ownership? If there are, then I’m yet to find them. 

This is far and away the best car I’ve ever owned. Quiet, effortless performance and superb quality. Yes, it’s on the large side but apart from that I simply have nothing negative to say. I should downsize at some stage in the next 2-3 years. I SHOULD…but I’m not sure I could leave this experience behind. 

No wonder RX owners are such a happy bunch. What a car. I feel privileged to be able to own it.

• Like 10

I am a new 450h owner (3 weeks) and as you can see from my posts here I'm trying to get past the niggles of the infotainment system, the cruise control overspeeding downhill and the audio system not muting for sat nav instructions. There is no doubt the car is a lovely drive and the fuel economy is shaping up well for a 3.5 litre car. However I feel annoyed that these shortcomings are there in a car with a quality reputation. I notice none of these things are mentioned in the many YouTube reviews I have watched on this car.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lesfac said:

I'm trying to get past the niggles of the infotainment system, the cruise control overspeeding downhill and the audio system not muting for sat nav instructions.

Interesting. Can’t say I’ve experienced issues with cruise control - can’t remember any other posts either but may be wrong. 

Using apple CarPlay the navigation (Waze) does drop the sound when instructions are given. I haven’t ever used the Lexus navigation system tbh.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lesfac said:

the audio system not muting for sat nav instructions.

Maybe there is some way to correct that, as the little CT does that.

On the other hand the navigation system in the car is so much less efficient than the Google Map system, so if I should ever really need a navigation system I would just use the smartphone.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Maybe there is some way to correct that, as the little CT does that.

^^ Odd though it is, I don’t think there is a way to do it with the standard Lexus navigation. My previous NX couldn’t do it either, but previous - and much older - Hondas did it as standard.

However, as you state @Las Palmasit’s a moot point - with the various options available these days I can’t see why anybody would choose the Lexus system over Google or Waze or any number of better options. It can’t be a coincidence that lots of manufacturers aren’t even installing navigation any more, instead just offering apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

• Like 2

I'm 18 months in too, and couldn't be happier.

Yes it's large, but I like the higher seating position, bigger door mirrors, and am grateful for the comfort and space on my occasional fishing trip to France, without the need for a roof box. Despite it's size, I've averaged 31 mpg since I've had it, and current tank is averaging 36 mpg, which isn't bad for such a big lump.

With a five year service plan and a couple more years of extended warranty, I also have a bit of peace of mind regarding costs.

• Like 1

I think it fair to say that the poor Satnav/infotainment in the RX cars has been widely reported on going back for considerable time so this should not be a surprise for anybody who has done some research before laying out a considerable sum on the model.  I personally prefer and use a large TomTom for the Satnav.  There are some pretty steep hills in Devon and I have found my Cruise Control exceeds the set speed slightly on my 3rd generation but speedo reads 2-3 mph fast anyway (as on most cars), so this has to be factored in too and speed limits usually allow a small excess.

I don't really need such a large car and have tried others but the RX feels so much more comfortable that I am always glad to back into it and that is before you take the overall reliability of the car into account.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Lesfac said:

I am a new 450h owner (3 weeks) and as you can see from my posts here I'm trying to get past the niggles of the infotainment system, the cruise control overspeeding downhill and the audio system not muting for sat nav instructions. There is no doubt the car is a lovely drive and the fuel economy is shaping up well for a 3.5 litre car. However I feel annoyed that these shortcomings are there in a car with a quality reputation. I notice none of these things are mentioned in the many YouTube reviews I have watched on this car.

Well, these are not bugs, they are features.

Have the same niggles here, it is just the way it is I am afraid.

OK so 8 months in.

Infotainment system is not great but it has apple and android connectivity but I am used to the native system now.

However, I love that engine rumble/growl that I sometimes get when gently accelerating.  That sound alone makes my ride worthwhile.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links