Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MOT

PGL

Paid for a 3 year service/MOT contract, as well as a discounted MOT parts contract.

Car went into dealership for MOT, agreed if any parts required to pass, to fit them.

Got back to dealership to find car had passed, then asked for £90!

Explained had pre-paid contract, apology yes it's on system, would have thought this would have been checked first.

Told they had changed front windscreen wipers as nearing end of life, but not an MOT failure.

Explained about MOT parts contract, they had no record on system, so paid saying I would send confirmation of MOT parts contract when I got home.

Rang them following day, Service Desk would not speak with me! Phone went dead.

Eventually spoke with Service who constantly said wipers replaced as 'nearing' end of life but not MOT failure so could not claim on MOT parts contract.

Not at all happy as I did not notice anything wrong with them...the back wiper yes, but this not replaced.

Thought this was a strange way to treat a customer.

Service Manager telephoned giving a strange answer that my vehicle had two records on their system, one showing Service/MOT contract, the other MOT parts contract, how, why? not explained. He agreed to refund payment for wipers.

Wondering if anyone has had similar situation after MOT? 

• Sad 1

Windshield wipers are ridiculously expensive and they always want to change the whole thing even though the metal parts are perfectly well.

Maybe they are too lazy to replace just the rubber parts or they just want to sell the most expensive. Rubber inserts can be bought cheap on eBay. Original Denso Hybrid rubber in correct size:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/255489534102

Pretty sure Lexus should be able to supply rubber inserts as well.

Unfortunately we live in the time of greed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PGL said:

Eventually spoke with Service who constantly said wipers replaced as 'nearing' end of life but not MOT failure so could not claim on MOT parts contract.

If you didn't authorise the work then don't pay, ask them to refit the old ones and see what they say....

• Like 3

They are meant to be the best, have you had the satisfaction survey, or made a complaint to Lexus UK? I reckkon they would take this up on your behalf.

Disposal of your old wipers without your consent could be considered as theft, they were your property and should have been returned to you at which point you could ask them to dispose of them.

£90.00 for a pair of wipers….ridiculous!
Since the change in servicing policy rip off seems to be the new Lexus policy.

16 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Disposal of your old wipers without your consent could be considered as theft, they were your property and should have been returned to you at which point you could ask them to dispose of them.

£90.00 for a pair of wipers….ridiculous!
Since the change in servicing policy rip off seems to be the new Lexus policy.

And I thought that 45€ was expensive. Of course now I buy rubber refills for much less. https://www.ebay.de/itm/255489534102

• 3 weeks later...

Ideally you should not have paid on picking up your car without some assurance (in writing/email) that the situation would be resolved/considered. At the very least you should have spoken to the dealer principal.

Wipers and (indicator) bulbs are gravy train items for garages (dealer or independent).

It’s pretty disappointing but probably one to chalk up to experience - In future leave a note denying any unauthorised remedial work.

Is it just a complete coincidence that since the death of Mr. Toyoda the Toyota Chairman there have been so many changes within the company, if Mr. Toyoda had said all servicing is 100 Yen those around him would have probably just bowed deeply and accepted it.

Since then the new management have changed the servicing system including the removal of discounted set cost servicing for older models.

Add in the head in the sand attitude to can bus thefts.

Just where is this once league topping global company going?

12 hours ago, PGL said:

Car passed MOT with rear window wiper blade ripped, advised when recently in for service it was replaced as part of service, so no charge. 

That was probably because rear wipers are not part of the MOT inspection it only applies to “Windscreen wipers”.

Rear window view is also not part of the test only windshield and side windows require clear vision. The tester’s manual is a little ambiguous in that the internal mirror must show a view to the rear of the vehicle so if you can see the rear seats that’s a pass the fact that you cannot see out of a mud covered rear window due to a defective rear wiper/washer doesn’t appear to matter.

I haven't picked the CT up yet but I had this email from Lexus, I’ve just quoted your service plan at - £43 a month for 3 years servicing, 3 MOT’s and 2 years roadside assistance, now being as I'm only likely to travel 5k in those 3 yrs if I'm lucky, I found it a bit steep, although they don't know how far I'm going to travel using it as a Sunday driver.LOL

4 hours ago, Kaptkremmin said:

I haven't picked the CT up yet but I had this email from Lexus, I’ve just quoted your service plan at - £43 a month for 3 years servicing, 3 MOT’s and 2 years roadside assistance, now being as I'm only likely to travel 5k in those 3 yrs if I'm lucky, I found it a bit steep, although they don't know how far I'm going to travel using it as a Sunday driver.LOL

Ours is the same 2 to 3k a year, even so if you knock off the good value for money roadside x 2years = £310, 3 x mots say £150, plus the free included yearly Hybrid Battery test to qualify for the 15yr Battery warranty, depending if it's 2 major and I minor or the other way round the total service plan comes down by around £500 or so. Also worth remembering that lack of usage can often mean servicing is more advisable than on a daily runner.

I'm ok with that as the car has never missed a beat and B'ham always pick it up and return it at the door a saving of 2hr for a double trip with another driver for me, and usually wave the Pick up and drop of charge. I also like the filmed health cheque that keeps me up to speed on the overhaul car condition for future reference.

Probably not as important on your 2014 but without the lexus service's being performed I believe you lose the Relax 10 year free car warranty.

• Like 1

Regardless of which service it is, if I'm only traveling 5k in those 3yrs I would expect each service to be an intermediate, as it won't need air or cabin filters, I'm told you can have the batteries tested at Toyota to keep the warranty going for a fee. I already have road side as we have two cars, it's next service is a full one, it's only covered 3k since that service and it's being serviced before delivery but I doubt if it gets the full service. So that would leave me two full services at £505 each=£1010 and an intermediate at £285 plus three MOT's £45 each=£135 and the roadside assistance =£310 so by my books that's £1740, I wouldn't buy a car if someone said it will cost you £1700 over the next 3yrs for 15ltrs of oil. Yes the Lexus in my books is a top notch car, it comes with a years warranty, it will be 10yrs old then, so the relax 10 year free warranty is at an end, so it will only be the Hybrid Battery pack covered in any warranty.

1 hour ago, Kaptkremmin said:

Regardless of which service it is, if I'm only traveling 5k in those 3yrs I would expect each service to be an intermediate

The problem with this argument, I suggest, is that Service periods are determined by either mileage covered or time past - which ever is the greater.

So the stipulated Service Intervals and Schedules for your Lexus are either 10,000 miles or 12 months - which ever comes first.  Now you may choose to ignore that, but the resulting unstamped Service Record will affect the car’s value should you decide to sell it.

As it happens, it’s a situation I face myself, having covered less than 40K miles in eight years.  But as Norman points out above, cars deteriorate even just standing still, so I don’t really have a problem with it.

• Like 1

Hi LenT it's not an argument, all cars need the oil changing every year regardless of mileage I have not a problem with that, and don't take any notice of the long life oil claims,  I always get the oil dropped in any cars I have after a year, some times twice, I was only mentioning that covering the mileage I do it should not need a full service every two years and all my cars live under cover, as regards to the cars value, I probably paid top dollar for the Lexus I bought due to the fact it was from Lexus and comes with the 12mth warranty, but I very much doubt a Lexus dealer will have many 10yr old cars on the forecourt, they tend to trade all those on to the smaller garages.

2 hours ago, Kaptkremmin said:

Hi LenT it's not an argument, all cars need the oil changing every year regardless of mileage I have not a problem with that, and don't take any notice of the long life oil claims,  I always get the oil dropped in any cars I have after a year, some times twice, I was only mentioning that covering the mileage I do it should not need a full service every two years and all my cars live under cover, as regards to the cars value, I probably paid top dollar for the Lexus I bought due to the fact it was from Lexus and comes with the 12mth warranty, but I very much doubt a Lexus dealer will have many 10yr old cars on the forecourt, they tend to trade all those on to the smaller garages.

How else do you think the Lexus shops shall make money? Selling a car is only a one-time thing, service is continuing as long as they can keep the customer interested.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links