Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So, after a very enjoyable 9 months of ownership, I’m having to say goodbye to my 2007 LS 460. 

My wife and I were married in September, and I purchased the car as a surprise for my wife (more for my benefit let’s be honest!) so that we could tour Scotland on our honeymoon in luxurious comfort and style. It didn’t disappoint, we instantly fell in love with the car on our drive up to Gretna Green and it didn’t put a foot wrong for the entire trip north of the border. Very quickly, my family formed a deep attachment to the car with all the memories we’ve made whilst cruising around in it. My 6 yr old step-daughter (and fellow petrol head) leaps with joy and excitement whenever we choose to drive anywhere in the Lexus, instead of my somewhat less opulent but very trusty Honda Civic Type S diesel (as you can tell, I have a thing for a good Japanese motor) 

4 weeks ago we had the most amazing news that we were expecting a new addition to the family and it would be our first child together. Obviously news like this demands that you take stock of your current situation in all aspects of life, especially financial. With that in mind, I came to the painful conclusion that despite me being able to comfortably run and maintain the car now, that probably wouldn’t be the case in 6-7 months time. Therefore, it was time to sell, and not before long I was contacted by a very worthy buyer looking for a replacement for his LS 600H. After an exchange of messages, a couple of telephone calls and some polite negotiation we came to a deal, and he’s due to pick up the car very soon.

A few days ago my wife miscarried. As you might be able to appreciate, this has been a really sad time for all of us. This has been another huge ‘take stock’ moment, when you realise what’s important in life. We all have our passions, pursuits and hobbies, but nothing counts more than family. Of course we intend to try again, and with all that in mind, I’m still pressing on with selling the car, plus the obvious fact that it wouldn’t be fair on the buyer to pull out from a done deal. 

I’ve throughly enjoyed my brief period of Lexus ownership, and it’s absolutely true what they say, once you’ve owned one, nothing else will do (well, except for my Honda). In the future I’d love an LS430 or LS400, but I’d also love to be Dad, and that top trumps any car ownership. 

Thanks to all who’ve offered their support to me on the forum whilst I’ve had the car. 
Take care 

Dan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Daniel, you are absolutely correct. Family matters more than anything. As a fellow 460 owner, I can understand that you will miss your Lexus but, if I was in your position, I'd do exactly the same thing.

Bon chance, mon ami!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For family we will do all we can.

Give what we have and hope the best.

Cars are metal and mean little compared to what really matters.

Wishing the best for you and your family and hope the world will treat you and your dear one’s kind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dan,

Being a father is something special, and you never stop being a parent. 

I would say I got my first LS when my son was 7 years old, him and his mates thought it was such a cool car, so maybe in future you can indulge.

Having just got rid of my LS (scrapped), after 16 years of Lexus ownership their still is nothing like an LS, but at least we have all enjoyed a period of driving such a magnificent beast.

Sorry to hear about the miscarriage, and all the best for success with some 'tiddly-winks' in the near future

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Update......

So my wife is now expecting again. Hopefully this time around, things will work out. Due to my financial situation now looking a little more favourable, and now needing a more practical saloon,  I'm back on the hunt for a Lexus. 

Head says GS450h.....heart says 2005/06 LS430

• Like 7

2 hours ago, DanLS460 said:

Head says GS450h.....heart says 2005/06 LS430

Heart right. Head wrong. Don't want them dodgy complicated hybrid wotsits with a nasty whiny CVT transmission. Go classic. Go LS430 reliable character vehicle.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DanLS460 said:

So my wife is now expecting again. Hopefully this time around, things will work out.

I’m sure we all wish you and your wife a very happy and successful outcome for the future.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GMB said:

Heart right. Head wrong. Don't want them dodgy complicated hybrid wotsits with a nasty whiny CVT transmission. Go classic. Go LS430 reliable character vehicle.

Try a Ls400  …… now invincible for those remaining, and might last forever with zero modern electronic wizadry to bankrupt you 👌

Best wishes and Good Luck 

Malc

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, GMB said:

whiny CVT transmission. 

recently been told about the CVT noise, so maybe I need to go in one to check it out.  surely with newer models Lexus have worked out how to deaden the sound!!

What whiny CVT noise? I heard absolutely nothing in my RC300h and equally nothing in my RX450h.

CVT is the best I've experienced, no swapping cogs no brake bands, no clutch. Constantly meshed gears spinning in oil, got to be the simplest most reliable transmission out there. Oh, and not a sound!!

• Like 2

Just going off my experience and dislike of the engine spinning round to 5000+ rpm and sounding thrashy, maybe the car I drove had a problem?

It probably boils down to taste which means no new Lexus for me unless I can get an old fashioned auto or manual gearbox. Very unlikely.

Maybe the saloons have a better CVT? Or maybe the older cars were more robust?

8 minutes ago, Jon Evans said:

No whiny noises in my LS600h either.

Also in a 2023 What Car review:

When the 450h’s Battery is charged up and it's running like an electric car, there's just a hint of motor whine. If the Battery runs flat (on both the 350h and 450h), the 2.5-litre petrol engine fires into life. You can hear it happening and you’ll notice a small amount of vibration through the steering wheel and seat, mainly because of the contrast with full electric mode.

When you put your foot down harder, it becomes a bit raucous due to the CVT automatic gearbox – the engine sounds rather coarse and channels vibrations up through the floor. At a cruise, the engine fades into the background.

When one puts one's foot down in a 'traditional' automatic the engine revs will soar as the box drops one or two gears to get the engine into the power range. The same happens with the e-CVT until the speed/load decreases and the revs drop again. In normal driving my RX450h rarely revs above 1500rpm. Even on short, hard overtakes the engine never sounds raucous but has a rather satisfying growl. :driving::thumbup1:

• Like 2

Yes, in my limited experience of a CVT they seem to work a lot better if you drive gently. There seems no point in racing it.

Maybe it's a good thing encouraging safer driving🫡

My RC300h was great to cruise along in but put the transmission into Sport mode and play with the paddle shifters and the car did a very good impression of a sports car, with realistic gear changes, very PlayStation like, much quicker than any other autobox with manual option.

The RX450h is no sports car in any guise but with plenty of power from the 3.5ltr V6 it wafts along very smoothly, I don't feel the need to be 'sporty' It simply covers distance very quickly and effortlessly. 

I've never paid much heed to car magazine reviews. The way they drive has very little in common with the way most of the rest of us utilise our vehicles.  I mean, why would you want to floor the accelerator in an LS. You have more than enough spare power to do what you with just a small pedal movement. The LS gets you from A to B quickly and in sublime comfort........appreciate it.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone for the feedback...looks like I've started a debate on the merits of CVT transmissions. Whatever mechanical means of swapping the cogs, provided its automated, doesn't bother me, though I've not had any experience of using a CVT. 

In addition to the GS450h and LS430 being contenders, I've also considered the GS300. I believe these can suffer with carbon build-up, but I guess high quality fuel and oil should slow/prevent this.

On 12/18/2023 at 5:58 PM, Tulpen said:

I've never paid much heed to car magazine reviews. The way they drive has very little in common with the way most of the rest of us utilise our vehicles.  I mean, why would you want to floor the accelerator in an LS. You have more than enough spare power to do what you with just a small pedal movement. The LS gets you from A to B quickly and in sublime comfort........appreciate it.

Could not agree more. Most of the motoring press are spoiled brats. Time and again they receive invitations for another car launch in nice destinations in Spain, Portugal, Hawai. All expenses paid and a boatload of cars to drive around in. Tech support available and wine and dine. After a testdrive and pic/vid opportunities of a couple of hours they receive goodie bags and fly back. They then come up with nonsensical claims as "the steering does not feel very sportive and the gearchanges are a bit slow" In a family hatchback.... In case of Lexus its always about the cvt. Floor the throttle and look into the camera with a droopy face. All based on a couple of hours driving an absolutely nothing to do with day to day use. There are not a lot of indipendant journalists out there but savagegeese is nr 1 on my list. BTW i loved the cvt in my IS especially in city driving. A bit like a BEV before they did exist.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

They then come up with nonsensical claims as "the steering does not feel very sportive and the gearchanges are a bit slow" In a family hatchback.... In case of Lexus its always about the cvt. Floor the throttle and look into the camera with a droopy face. All based on a couple of hours driving an absolutely nothing to do with day to day use.

So very true, Bernard.  
While I will happily concede that a busy motoring journalist is in a far better position to compare different cars, these kinds of negative comments are simply banal.  

The performance figures quoted invariably come from Press Releases and are not always - shall we say - achievable in real life.   Or, more importantly, actually relevant!

And that’s mainly because when you buy a car with your own money - and have to pay for your own tyres, brakes and maintenance - you don’t drive it in the same way as a free, loan car from the Publicity Department!

But to be fair to the mass of motoring journalists, it’s a comparative few who get to go on the extravagant launch jollies.  In the past I had occasion to employ a couple on a freelance basis, and their everyday transport was far from glamorous.  It’s not the best paid job in journalism.

Mind you, developing a good relationship with the Pub. Depts. did have its benefits.

I recall one guy who would acquire a large estate for about a week every year.  His review was about how well it performed when taking a whole family touring!

I think your point about the kind of negative comments aimed at many Lexus models by some of the motoring press is well made.  They are being dismissed for failing to be something they were never designed to be.  

Fortunately, I doubt that that concerns the typical new Lexus buyer.

• Like 1

The motoring press are gushy about whichever manufacturer buys the most advertising. I don't trust most of them but have over the years learned to read certain reviewers and read between the lines of their comments. They are rarely looking for what we are looking for in a car.

Many years ago Clarkson commented that the LS430 was supremely competent and whisper quiet but too dull and bland looking. Sounded like my ideal car and what do you know,... it is 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I also have clarkson to thank for putting me on the trail of a LS400 in 1998.  Similar derisive description, but I knew it was the car for me.  Not looked back since.

Thank you Jeremy!

: o )

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links