Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Second Key Fob NX 450H+

Hi to everyone

Just taken delivery of my 450H + and as I suspected just one key fob. Does anyone know how long the wait for the other key is likely to be please?

Thanks

Just like the car...in a few months.🙃
Got my car by the end of April and the dealership told me I should get it by the end of June.
I took this piece of info with a grain of salt...
Was lucky enough to have one key fob and one credit card key although 

1 hour ago, Leigh G said:

Do Lexus only supply one key fob with a new car?

Apparently a shortage of appropriate chips for the fobs so they are sending out many new vehicles with a single fob plus a further physical blade. No date given for the second one to arrive.

When I picked my car up a couple of weeks ago I was told they “hoped” to have the second fob late Qtr 3.  The salesman also said they would post it out as soon as they got it!  I did mention that the key would need to be programmed by them first and that they would need the car.  He also said they would post the locking wheel nuts - when I asked if they were sending a wheel brace as well he looked a bit confused.  What training do Lexus give their salespeople ?

2 hours ago, HMT said:

When I picked my car up a couple of weeks ago I was told they “hoped” to have the second fob late Qtr 3.  The salesman also said they would post it out as soon as they got it!  I did mention that the key would need to be programmed by them first and that they would need the car.  He also said they would post the locking wheel nuts - when I asked if they were sending a wheel brace as well he looked a bit confused.  What training do Lexus give their salespeople ?

You should have told him that your cheque would be in the post as soon as you receive the key and wheel nuts 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi, 

Is anyone holding back the value of the second key fob or wheel nuts until they have been supplied? 

It goes a little against the grain to pay the full cost when Lexus has not fulfilled their contract. Perhaps the dealers at least would have some small incentive to hurry them up.

1 hour ago, RKane said:

Perhaps the dealers at least would have some small incentive to hurry them up.

The trouble with the car industry is it is still in a financial mess that just the cost of holding small sums back could be troublesome. They are trying to hold up the price of trade ins so  I am not bothered by the wait for a key. 

On 6/17/2023 at 7:12 AM, HMT said:

So....am I right i saying that after the purchase a of a £55k + vehicle, it is supplied with only one key and NO locking wheel nuts!! To me that is totally unacceptable...and in my view breaking the purchase contract

Maybe just maybe... I can understand the key due to chip shortage....but how and why no wheel nuts?  I assume that until the nuts are supplied, your wheels can very easily be removed. How does that affect the insurance etc?

My partner has just purchased a brand new Ford Puma at less than half the price of a Lexus. Yes with two keys, four locking wheel nuts, and after asking, supplied with a steering wheel lock thrown in.

1 hour ago, Mobeam said:

So....am I right i saying that after the purchase a of a £55k + vehicle, it is supplied with only one key and NO locking wheel nuts!! To me that is totally unacceptable...and in my view breaking the purchase contract

Maybe just maybe... I can understand the key due to chip shortage....but how and why no wheel nuts?  I assume that until the nuts are supplied, your wheels can very easily be removed. How does that affect the insurance etc?

My partner has just purchased a brand new Ford Puma at less than half the price of a Lexus. Yes with two keys, four locking wheel nuts, and after asking, supplied with a steering wheel lock thrown in.

Yes you are correct.  I knew from this forum about the fob and locking wheel nuts (bolts?) issues but was not told anything from the dealership till pickup.

we were part way through the paperwork before being told about the 1 fob.

when I asked about the locking wheel nuts was told that they were not aware of the issue, and that we “would find out together if the car had the locking nuts” when he took me to the car - it did not, did have a chat with the sales manager about Lexus reaction if I found the car jacked up and the wheels missing.  I think my insurance would not pay out as I had not taken adequate precortions

1 hour ago, Mobeam said:

The purchase price does include two keys and locking wheel nuts but, due to parts shortages, these might not arrive at exactly the same time as the vehicle. From other entries on this thread, it appears that some dealers are offering customers the choice of collecting the car when it arrives, minus the second key and locking wheel nuts, or waiting for them to arrive (for an unspecified length of time) and then collecting the car.

7 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

The purchase price does include two keys and locking wheel nuts but, due to parts shortages, these might not arrive at exactly the same time as the vehicle. From other entries on this thread, it appears that some dealers are offering customers the choice of collecting the car when it arrives, minus the second key and locking wheel nuts, or waiting for them to arrive (for an unspecified length of time) and then collecting the car.

Not sure offering customers a choice is quite right.

process for me wasi car arrives at dealership  and we agree a collection day, Pay for car ( minimum 48hrs ) in advance, once money received the dealer will register the car in my name tax it etc and confirm collection date.and I change insurance

so when I arrived and signed over my part ex. And start signing paper work , Then told only one fob, and the they “hope” to have second fob late in qtr 3,

I am not sure what choice I had

21 minutes ago, HMT said:

Not sure offering customers a choice is quite right.

process for me wasi car arrives at dealership  and we agree a collection day, Pay for car ( minimum 48hrs ) in advance, once money received the dealer will register the car in my name tax it etc and confirm collection date.and I change insurance

so when I arrived and signed over my part ex. And start signing paper work , Then told only one fob, and the they “hope” to have second fob late in qtr 3,

I am not sure what choice I had

I agree and I would have been very upset had the dealer told me there was only one key fob when I was picking up the car and even more annoyed if they were ignorant about the locking wheel nuts. This is really bad form and I would expect more from the dealer. However, if the dealer had been on the ball and phoned you a couple of months, one month or even a couple of weeks before the expected delivery date, explained the problem and given you a choice at that point; how would you felt then? I suspect still frustrated but less than you were when you found out during the handover.

I sympathise and I am not trying to defend Lexus. They have had to make difficult decisions with the chip shortages etc but in this example, and many others (keeping customers informed about delivery for example), good communication from the dealer would have gone a very long way to keeping customers happy (happier) and on-side.

All these stories about the prestige brand are troublesome. And, I feel it will damage their reputation quite a bit.

I mean £50k+ for a car with missing bits, near to non functioning app, infotainment issues, electrics issues, and recall after recall etc. is really unacceptable, no idea why as loyal customers to the brand you guys put up with it.

I'd say you're all being mugged off and caught up in the new shiny hype, in my opinion. 

Still waiting for my second key fob for my new 300H. Major confusion about who is supposed to supply it. First was told that Lexus would send it to me direct. Rang Lexus direct and they said no they don't, it's the dealer who has to order it and you have to go back to the dealer to have it programmed to the car. Dealer I bought from is 65 miles away. Then they said the local dealer can order it. So now the localish dealer have supposedly ordered it and will come in to them on July 14th. Farcical really.

2 hours ago, Steven C said:

Still waiting for my second key fob for my new 300H. Major confusion about who is supposed to supply it. First was told that Lexus would send it to me direct. Rang Lexus direct and they said no they don't, it's the dealer who has to order it and you have to go back to the dealer to have it programmed to the car. Dealer I bought from is 65 miles away. Then they said the local dealer can order it. So now the localish dealer have supposedly ordered it and will come in to them on July 14th. Farcical really.

Sorry Steven [and Harry]  but all this is sounds as if it coming from the Boris Johnson camp.

Surely before the car leaves the production line or at least before shipment, the vehicle VIN number etc will noted NOT to have two key fobs and/or locking wheel nuts fitted along with anything else not fitted or supplied.

Therefore the selling dealer must have been told and aware of the shortage BEFORE delivery to the premises, and as already said they should have informed you [the purchaser] of this shortage BEFORE any funds and signatures are collected. 

As far as Lexus advising you to go back to the dealer and order it [fob] on something that should be supplied with the car in the first place, is in my mind, utterly rediculous. In other words someone is doing a Boris i.e lying !!

54 minutes ago, Mobeam said:

Therefore the selling dealer must have been told and aware of the shortage BEFORE delivery to the premises, and as already said they should have informed you [the purchaser] of this shortage BEFORE any funds and signatures are collected. 

I was not made aware of no second key fob until it was all signed and paid for they then gave me the box with one key and fob plus a spade key. I asked where was the other key fob and was told they were in short supply. I have never bought a car before without two key fobs but then this is my first venture in to a Lexus. But after that confusion about who was to supply it as in my post.

7 minutes ago, Steven C said:

I was not made aware of no second key fob until it was all signed and paid for they then gave me the box with one key and fob plus a spade key. I asked where was the other key fob and was told they were in short supply. I have never bought a car before without two key fobs but then this is my first venture in to a Lexus. But after that confusion about who was to supply it as in my post.

Same experience here. I confess I was aware but only because of posts on this site. I have been given no timeframe as to the issue of the second key, as of yet, and my request for such rests with the dealer.

When I places the order for my car a year ago, I had been shown on my test drive that a 'key card' would be supplied. It looked like a credit card and I understood it to act as an electronic key, in the same way as the key fob. Not seen any mention of that here - did I miss it? The dealer mentioned that he 'thought' it might be part of the original book pack (manual etc) and since I wasn't provided with that from Lexus, that could be the reason. Hope you don't mind me adding this to the key fob question, but it is related!

The main issue for me is the lack of clarity (honesty ) from the dealership.  Had I been told about the fob and locking wheels nuts and asked if I would still take delivery, the answer would have been yes!    (The car itself is great and worth the wait)
but to tell me about the fob during the paperwork and then claim not to know about the wheel nuts till we went out to the car together was a bit of a stretch!!!!!!
I was told they would post out when available ?????  His manager did correct this view when We spoke.

I was offered an air tag to fit to the 1 fob.  …….. still waiting for that

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Al D-Much said:

All these stories about the prestige brand are troublesome. And, I feel it will damage their reputation quite a bit.

I mean £50k+ for a car with missing bits, near to non functioning app, infotainment issues, electrics issues, and recall after recall etc. is really unacceptable, no idea why as loyal customers to the brand you guys put up with it.

I'd say you're all being mugged off and caught up in the new shiny hype, in my opinion. 

Well other "prestige" brands do the same or worst. BMW has been playing "option roulette" in France : you order a car with for example 360 cameras and you find out at delivery there is no 360 cameras fitted and you get a few hundred euros rebate  (not exactly fair). MERCEDES has been playing "step by step build after delivery" forcing you to make a few trips to the dealership to get options you paid for weeks if not months after you get your car.
In the non "prestige" Brand Peugeot had for a few months reverted to non LED tail lights without even bothering to tell their customers.
Most of us have been waiting months to get our cars and the non communication is a dealership issue rather than manufacturer one as they have openly communicate on these matters.

Must be blessed by the digital gods because app and infotainment are working fine since I got the car (and feedback from owners that got their car in 2022 or early 2023 Is that things have been pretty much solved (through recalls for some of them).

Not feeling robbed or hyped, just got my hands on a great car and possibly one of the best PHEV offer in its segment

• Like 4

I'm confused, as are others, as to how the second key fob will get to me. When I picked up the car I was told that Lexus would contact me directly, but having followed this thread that seems it may not be the case. 

I will email the dealership and hope they can give me definitive answer.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

I'm confused, as are others, as to how the second key fob will get to me. When I picked up the car I was told that Lexus would contact me directly, but having followed this thread that seems it may not be the case. 

Let us know what happens! 😀

19 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

After the initial “the dealership would post it to me” I was then told that 

Lexus will send to dealership when available (late 3rd qtr) the dealership will then contact me to arrange date for car to be taken in. It is “ about a 1/2 day”  job to programme the fob.

but having read the various posts it seems different dealerships are giving different versions including getting the job carried out at another Lexus location, so I am bit confused

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links