Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Most people spend more time and energy going around problems

Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them." – Henry Ford, Founder Ford Motor Company

This was then and I'm even more convinced it's more so today. If, as a customer, you have an entirely valid complaint then it's clearly your fault, you are the problem not the service or product😱

Fortunately as a Lexus owner I am still blessed with receiving the old fashioned values of trust, integrity and reliable service from Lexus Derby. Last week I encountered a warranty document issue which by today's standards would be the equivalent of the Gordian knot! However, along comes Adam, the after sales manager, who was obviously Alexander in a previous incarnation, and in one single stroke resolved the issue. 

So for us older generation who wistfully pine and wallow in the long-lost memories of silver-service, attended petrol pumps and green shield stamps fear not. For there is a younger cohort out there who's values may not align with yours or mine all of the time but they are still doing a sterling job for us all of the time. 

• Like 5

Except when you talk to Listers of Coventry Lexus main agent like here 

So yes like you I am old school but dealers are dealers at the end of the day.

New (used) item should be here by Friday so will see how that pans out. 

8 hours ago, VFR said:

Except when you talk to Listers of Coventry Lexus main agent like here 

So yes like you I am old school but dealers are dealers at the end of the day.

New (used) item should be here by Friday so will see how that pans out. 

It would be a sad and cynical world if every time we bought something we felt that the seller was trying to get one over us 🤔. Have you ever sold anything to anyone? If so where does your line of liability /duty of care /fit for purpose end. After 30 days, a year, two years, five years? Yes there is Caveat Emptor but as the purchaser you also have a duty of care to act reasonably in my opinion. There are plenty of examples of people scamming suppliers so it's not all one way traffic. In todays Daily Mail online there's an excellent article by Dean Dunham on consumer rights for those instances where the plan isn't working 😎

When I sold my old 1994 Celsior I had a call a few hours later telling me it had broken down with a failed serpentine idler pulley and shredded belt.

Initially I was going to drive down there over 150 miles as I had spare pulley bearings and belts in the shed but given the time I refunded the guy £200.00 to cover his costs and inconvenience.

It was a private sale so so liability but to be fair I did it.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

When I sold my old 1994 Celsior I had a call a few hours later telling me it had broken down with a failed serpentine idler pulley and shredded belt.

Initially I was going to drive down there over 150 miles as I had spare pulley bearings and belts in the shed but given the time I refunded the guy £200.00 to cover his costs and inconvenience.

It was a private sale so so liability but to be fair I did it.

Top man Steve 👍. Some years ago I read Positively Outrageous Service by T Scott Gross,dedicated to doing right by the customer. In the book he does however admit out there there are customers who will lie and cheat you. But all you need to know is that one day they will get their comeuppance and you know this is true because that's why there is a G*D. 😎

5 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

It would be a sad and cynical world if every time we bought something we felt that the seller was trying to get one over us 🤔. Have you ever sold anything to anyone? If so where does your line of liability /duty of care /fit for purpose end. After 30 days, a year, two years, five years? Yes there is Caveat Emptor but as the purchaser you also have a duty of care to act reasonably in my opinion. There are plenty of examples of people scamming suppliers so it's not all one way traffic. In todays Daily Mail online there's an excellent article by Dean Dunham on consumer rights for those instances where the plan isn't working 😎

I never implied that the seller was trying to do anything except ignore me.

It was a low mileage Lexus approved used car checked over by their experts, imagine my surprise when the Autoglass lad told me about it.

So you think that I am trying to scam a dealer for a bloody wiper arm (?) that may be your behaviour but not mine so keep your insinuations to yourself. 

1 hour ago, VFR said:

I never implied that the seller was trying to do anything except ignore me.

It was a low mileage Lexus approved used car checked over by their experts, imagine my surprise when the Autoglass lad told me about it.

So you think that I am trying to scam a dealer for a bloody wiper arm (?) that may be your behaviour but not mine so keep your insinuations to yourself. 

Crikey VFR you're a bit prickly today, must be all those Devon cream teas. It's most unfortunate if you read any of my content as being a personal insinuation, slight, or any other negative barb. Far from it, your comments were essentially in line with mine ie we are fortunate deal with such a reliable brand. In my case I am sure that I would still be arguing my corner come Christmas with most other firms. And in your case I am in no doubt even two years after the event you will reach an amicably agreeable solution. 

As to my approach to life and behaviour read my first line to Steve in this thread for a clue. 

Very best wishes Phil. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

It would be a sad and cynical world if every time we bought something we felt that the seller was trying to get one over us …

What saddens me, when I think about it, is my increasing tendency to go out of my way to praise courtesy and efficiency when I would once have considered them normal.

As specifically regards Lexus, I must say that I have had very few complaints about my dealer’s courtesy and efficiency over almost two decades, though I have noticed signs of declining standards largely due to personnel changes.  In this connection  it could be argued that customers being asked to comment on their dealer’s performance after servicing etc., is itself an admission on Lexus’ part that we might be less satisfied than in the days when it was considered unnecessary to ask.

3 hours ago, Rabbers said:

What saddens me, when I think about it, is my increasing tendency to go out of my way to praise courtesy and efficiency when I would once have considered them normal.

As specifically regards Lexus, I must say that I have had very few complaints about my dealer’s courtesy and efficiency over almost two decades, though I have noticed signs of declining standards largely due to personnel changes.  In this connection  it could be argued that customers being asked to comment on their dealer’s performance after servicing etc., is itself an admission on Lexus’ part that we might be less satisfied than in the days when it was considered unnecessary to ask.

Renato you make brilliant and insightful point. Today, people not only seek constant "positive stroking" but it needs to be quantifiable via incessant requesting for "how did we do" feedback. I am reminded of the old Carlsberg ad of a dusty cobweb filled room with a telephone entitled, Customer Complaints, just wonderful. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

It's true that in today's world, where customer service can sometimes be lacking, it's refreshing to encounter individuals and businesses that uphold traditional values like trust, integrity, and reliable service. It's important to acknowledge and appreciate those who go above and beyond to resolve issues and provide a satisfactory experience. While times may have changed, it's reassuring to know that there are still people who prioritize customer satisfaction.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2023 at 7:54 PM, NiarBlaser said:

It's true that in today's world where customer service can sometimes be non-existent, it's nice to meet people and companies that stick to traditional values like trust, honesty and dependable service. It is important to recognize and appreciate those who go the extra mile to solve problems and provide a satisfying experience. You can learn more about this in the article - https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/sustained-growth-in-the-uk-private-rental-market-1032320131. While times may have changed, it's good to know that there are still people who prioritize customer satisfaction.

Also I would like to add. In a world where customer service can sometimes be subpar, it's really nice to meet people and companies that prioritize traditional values like trust, honesty and reliable service. It is important to recognize and value those who go the extra mile to solve problems and ensure customer satisfaction. While the dynamics of customer service may have changed over time, it's good to know that there are still people and companies committed to upholding these values and providing exceptional experiences for their customers. Their dedication deserves recognition and serves as a reminder of the importance of exceptional customer service in today's business landscape.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 5:54 PM, NiarBlaser said:

It's true that in today's world, where customer service can sometimes be lacking, it's refreshing to encounter individuals and businesses that uphold traditional values like trust, integrity, and reliable service. It's important to acknowledge and appreciate those who go above and beyond to resolve issues and provide a satisfactory experience. While times may have changed, it's reassuring to know that there are still people who prioritize customer satisfaction.

I agree.

Unfortunately, in todays world, businesses are faced with customers using any number of comparsion sites to buy on price. With the ever increasing need to reduce prices in order to achieve sales, then something has to give, and often that's customer service and after sales care.

I will usually favour service over price, assuming the differential isn't too great, but many don't, and hope for the best. It's not difficult to  provide excellent customer service, but a lot more challenging to get people to pay for it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

I will usually favour service over price, assuming the differential isn't too great, but many don't, and hope for the best. It's not difficult to  provide excellent customer service, but a lot more challenging to get people to pay for it.

I agree wholeheartedly. 

Take car insurance for example (a hot topic at the moment, on this forum and elsewhere). Most people, when deciding who to insure with, value the cost of the policy over any other aspect of the decision-making process and hope that they never need to discover how well (or not) the cheapest insurer deals with a claim further down the line.

I can understand why people do this, especially now for example when times are hard (and there are obviously a fair few people who don't have to make a claim and therefore can justify going with the cheapest quote each year), but I've always believed that the true value of an insurance policy is only revealed when you need to claim on it. However, like you say Bill, this is assuming the differential of service over price isn't too great.

As Mark Twain said - "You pays your money and you takes your choice."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy B said:

I agree wholeheartedly. 

Take car insurance for example (a hot topic at the moment, on this forum and elsewhere). Most people, when deciding who to insure with, value the cost of the policy over any other aspect of the decision-making process and hope that they never need to discover how well (or not) the cheapest insurer deals with a claim further down the line.

I can understand why people do this, especially now for example when times are hard (and there are obviously a fair few people who don't have to make a claim and therefore can justify going with the cheapest quote each year), but I've always believed that the true value of an insurance policy is only revealed when you need to claim on it. However, like you say Bill, this is assuming the differential of service over price isn't too great.

As Mark Twain said - "You pays your money and you takes your choice."

He also said how lucky Adam was because when he said a good thing no one had said it before 😅

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links