Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

First Lexus

Just thought I would introduce myself, I am a retired coachbuilder and just purchased a 17 plate IS300h , I have been a Mercedes owner for 30 plus years and 2 years ago I purchased a B class ( getting old or should that be got ) then a few months later I find out that I have purchased 1/2 a Renault ( Merc with a Renault engine ) so I am afraid Mercedes and me have parted company, if I wanted a Renault I would go to a Renault garage.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Dells said:

Just thought I would introduce myself, I am a retired coachbuilder and just purchased a 17 plate IS300h , I have been a Mercedes owner for 30 plus years and 2 years ago I purchased a B class ( getting old or should that be got ) then a few months later I find out that I have purchased 1/2 a Renault ( Merc with a Renault engine ) so I am afraid Mercedes and me have parted company, if I wanted a Renault I would go to a Renault garage.

Congrats and welcome! Hoping you have loads of trouble free miles from yours. I had an e220 cdi before my is300h and loved it. But it had the usual European used car experience where there would be a niggle every now and then.  It was lovely and wafty but terrible on mountain roads. Other than the space i dont miss it much now. I much prefer not having to run to garages to fix things every now and then. 

Hi

i had a C Class coupe before the B but being 2 door I got to the stage that I couldn’t reach the seat belt so had to lean forward to be able to slide my arm back to get it then banged my head on screen when doing so, and the wife had to almost get out the car to be able to grab the handle to shut the door when getting in so it had to go but I loved that car , it’s a pain getting old.

Dell

Welcome to the forum, great choice of car.

This is my first Lexus after owning a couple of Volvo's, it is now 2 1/2 years old & still perfect. I love driving it, so relaxing.

I hope you have many years of happy trouble free motoring.

Welcome to the club!

👉 Anecdote, since you mentioned Mercs:
I was in San Sebastian a few weeks ago. We got in a city taxi that was a Lexus ES 300h (same engine drivetrain etc)... the taxi driver told us that he had three Merdeces E class as a taxi, but that after 150,000 km, the car needed constant small repairs here and there, to the point it was hardly profitable. He said since he had got the ES he was super happy: after 350,000 km he had zero problems with it and was now a Lexus fan.

I'm in love with the IS300h just like you: such a shame they didn't bring the 4th gen to the UK! Ticks all the boxes for me, and very few others (if any) would (the ES is too large).

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome, I am picking it up on Wednesday it’s metallic red 17 plate and only done 22,000 so as I am 70 it should do me out.

Dell

2 hours ago, Dells said:

Thanks for the welcome, I am picking it up on Wednesday it’s metallic red 17 plate and only done 22,000 so as I am 70 it should do me out.

Dell

No Derek! You WILL have enough time to buy another one!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dells said:

Dell

Afternoon, I bought mine two years ago next month. I shall be 77 later this year. It’s a fabulous car, relaxing to drive and can be quick when required. In my case it will probably outlive me. It had 33k on the clock when I bought it and it’s done just a few hundred miles over 40k now. 

Next month it has its MOT and annual service and I won’t even have to go out of my front door, except to hand the keys to the driver who will collect it. I’ve been paying £41 a month for a service deal when I purchased it and it only costs me a tenner a year to tax it. What’s that compared to what other dealerships charge and it gets a full years warranty each year. Enjoy your car, nice colour too.

Thanks Tony

I had or should I say have a service contract with Mercedes, it makes life so much easier so hopefully I can get one for the Lexus for the same £41 as you , not sure why a 14 plate is cheaper on road tax than a 17 plate though because my one is £20 year but not complaining though because my B class is £180.

Dell

5 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

No Derek! You WILL have enough time to buy another one!

I have had Cancer twice, pneumonia twice so I am on borrowed time although just had results of my latest scan, all clear so touch wood, fingers crossed, find a four leaf clover ha.

Dell

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dells said:

Thanks Tony

I had or should I say have a service contract with Mercedes, it makes life so much easier so hopefully I can get one for the Lexus for the same £41 as you , not sure why a 14 plate is cheaper on road tax than a 17 plate though because my one is £20 year but not complaining though because my B class is £180.

Dell

If your IS 300h was registered before 01/04/2017 then it is in Band B - this is normally £20 but there is currently a £10 discount as it's classed as an  alternative fuel car (ie hybrid) and so you should have only paid £10. 

41 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

If your IS 300h was registered before 01/04/2017 then it is in Band B - this is normally £20 but there is currently a £10 discount as it's classed as an  alternative fuel car (ie hybrid) and so you should have only paid £10. 

That’s what I have written that I pay: a tenner. It will be twenty next year. But I’m not complaining.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dells said:

Thanks Tony

Dell

Dell, the Lexus service deal might have gone up during these past couple of years. The salesman for Lexus told me that the only increase for me will be if VAT goes up and as yet it hasn’t and if it comes down then I will benefit. But to be honest, for what I’m paying each month, for me it’s a very good deal. Cheap as chips.

58 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Late March 17 , I haven’t taxed it yet so how and where do I find out about the discount because £10 is better in my pocket .

Dell

9 minutes ago, Dells said:

Late March 17 , I haven’t taxed it yet so how and where do I find out about the discount because £10 is better in my pocket .

Dell

In that case you will be on the standard flat rate ved which is £180 per annum less the £10 alternative fuel discount making it £170 per annum. All the rates are here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1146222/v149-rates-of-vehicle-tax-for-cars-motorcycles-light-goods-vehicles-and-private-light-goods-vehicles.pdf

3 hours ago, DavidCM said:

How does road/car tax work in Eire?

I pay 790 euros motor tax per year and I am lucky because my car was registered in 2008. If it had been registered in 2006 or 2007 I would have paid 1,809 euros. A 2008 LS600H pays 1,250 euros. With my previous 2004 Prius V2 1.5cc I used to pay 413 euros but the same Prius 2008 onwards only paid 160 euros, same engine, same emissions, same everything. It just doesn't make sense.

That's expensive and like here there doesn't seem to be much logic to the system.At least the roads are better maintained.When I drove over there in April,it was obvious which side of the border I was on.

11 hours ago, DavidCM said:

That's expensive and like here there doesn't seem to be much logic to the system.At least the roads are better maintained.When I drove over there in April,it was obvious which side of the border I was on.

It is too expensive even if the roads are better than in UK and I think it is unfair that there are cars like my previous 2004 Prius which pay more than a brand new 2023 RX450H. I paid 8,250 euros for my GS and I pay more for the motor tax than someone who can afford a brand new LS500H.   

16 minutes ago, serbarry said:

It is too expensive even if the roads are better than in UK and I think it is unfair that there are cars like my previous 2004 Prius which pay more than a brand new 2023 RX450H. I paid 8,250 euros for my GS and I pay more for the motor tax than someone who can afford a brand new LS500H.   

I always thought it was ripoff Britain but it seems like ripoff Ireland as well, what’s insurance like over there ?.

Dell

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links