Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scotland Roadtrip

Hey all,

I couldn't find an appropriate area to post this on the forum but I do know there are a fair few people in the F community from the area.

I'm off to Scotland with some mates for a roadtrip mid Sept. I've been compiling a list of places to visit and roads to travel. We're just inbetween Stirling and Dunfermline and we're looking to to do around 200 to 250 miles a day.

Any recommendations for good roads and photo locations for the cars? I'll have my drone if anyone can reccomend places for using that too?

Thank you.

Rich.

P.S. please move this if I have posted it in the wrong place!

Just now, HGUS said:

How about doing the NC 500!  Lots of beautiful scenery and off shoots on route to explore, even going across to Orkney, Skye, etc ....

The guys I'm going with did it a few years back and I think they didn't enjoy it all that much. Possibly due to how many other people were on it and sections didn't lend themselves to the supercars they take. We'll no doubt hit parts of it though for sure.

I've driven up to and around Scotland a few times but only ever for a holiday .  a few weeks  .  the thought to drive 200/250 miles a day will be very stressful, strenuous and totally unenjoyable .  to me anyway 

It's a beautiful place to amble around enjoying magnificent scenery and impromptu unbooked  B&Bs etc ............  if you can take a while to do the journey then you'll enjoy it much much more than just trying to eat up the miles

Malc

• Like 1

Sorry, I think I need to say that the reason for this holiday is to drive and enjoy the roads of Scotland. We've all been and done some sightseeing before, etc, so it's less about seeing what Scotland has to offer walking, sightseeing and visiting places.

We have a place we're renting out for a week with hot tubs, BBQ, etc, so our evenings and days off will be spent relaxing and doing some of the things mentioned. The long days with high miles will be mainly getting up to and near places of interest, as we're staying lower than initially anticipated. I do a lot of landscape and drone photography, so two of my days will be spent doing that.

What the intention is for us is to drive to locations, grab some photos, a coffee, some food, then move onto the next and essentially leapfrog our way around. The high mileage days will be early starts and getting to the areas we then wish to explore.

• Like 1

Just now, 4969_LXS said:

I recommend the old military road over the Cairngorms. Put those 275 tyres and PPE manifolds to good use. It was great to end our NC500 trip with that route

Yeah the guys have all said the Military Road is a place they want to revisit, so I've planned a route into the Cairngorms.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichGS11 said:

The guys I'm going with did it a few years back and I think they didn't enjoy it all that much. Possibly due to how many other people were on it and sections didn't lend themselves to the supercars they take. We'll no doubt hit parts of it though for sure.

That's a shame.  Out of season would definitely be better.  One place, maybe if you have thoughts of another outing, I enjoy is zipping around the mountains in Corsica.  I see loads of supercars there. 🏎️🏎️🏎️🏎️

• Like 1

You could try the road from CockBridge (Tor-na-Haish) to Tomintoul (also includes parts of the old military road). However, my favourite suggestion would the road around the Applecross peninsular, from Ardarroch to Shieldaig via Applecross.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harrier Man said:

There are some nice harbours along the Moray Firth coast: for example, Nairn, Burghead, Lossiemouth where you can get the cars close to the boats for some nice pictures. Findhorn a lovey bay too.

Awesome. Thank you for the suggestions. Added to the itinerary. Will be good to get some diversity with the images, so Harbour shots would be fantastic.

2 hours ago, HGUS said:

That's a shame.  Out of season would definitely be better.  One place, maybe if you have thoughts of another outing, I enjoy is zipping around the mountains in Corsica.  I see loads of supercars there. 🏎️🏎️🏎️🏎️

Well you say that, we should have been in the South of France and Monaco, but we had to change the plans because the trip needed to he shorter.

19 minutes ago, RichGS11 said:

Well you say that, we should have been in the South of France and Monaco, but we had to change the plans because the trip needed to he shorter.

😒 Fantastic places !!  There's always next time 😃👍

All the best with your trip !!

Like others have said - avoid NC500

Cairngorms. Coffee at Glen Shee ski centre, then on to Lecht ski centre, stopping at Braemar for lunch at the Flying Stag. 

Also - image.thumb.png.9d1896aeaa17daa2b9783d6a47a25871.png

And

Glen Etive (just down't road from Slyfall famous shot)

AIL4fc_315JDv5E-KNzTff-kd2POin7q8WFBaYodKJ8jt5FUSr1CixwxIEr94y_RpLwOhSHmaflpgrIHEe-l8SWAbSmq6OMFmWRrxNV5DeY9fXzhwO0OPvfQODPCNhgXFmlRf3t39rb96xcQ76DjFfr3CKbRIGF330guyyqo7LDcBp6RfDLUYn6rXu5qTW3Gd4QQjDzJTs2m0eUL9pwhPY4KyHVhUM8AaRLlBlzb8ZGII9nE2QqoPk9od8FJgXXwUQfzprtJkGTGkcJCiyxG7qNJoaDaTU3eOtTAXLtpDV_reto9NZobwcuLB_-EV1NtfyH1_CxjGBbAwgBmbYilC6ArMddPmfEzzfpb6R02LPtf6iPxpeo4TAisa2gkGQ51DX1PJoWLUK8B69Tn1zkOeSmgyErPJbP2O5erSO8EvO7z4UyC7dWqFrDei_7wuyXbYpWH9NzM9xi0O6meY0yg3mYyb7FEpv3r4m8wjZGhbOSA363R8e3M2aTEfYPJfXOreP_FWcSo3KV7m2jnQWyVmYC9uWFDpYGKQ3xwIBZ0QsuirNkK_Z7qTcMsaWCcrffd8NKIs3hy_-kNuxrPP9WU1CBvTQQMHTJrJFmKUWc8rt2iYnmwv2Fi8tls1P2Pd0-qOk8-86tnA6KV44vz-jbwTjfKr7BxaWG8abEZBuFB_a8iBwRXA9C2ZJnvh2sUPcj0OMcKNtUQDZIj9r-9dipVVCdg7u48WmSrpnPmjXR_pjVOkB82OvwkftQxbNawABlYjQmhovZgNZ95oycl9R-O1kTZ0gBKiO9IEZCTtLCKkIz1SPlQ52bgWV7PMv4eFYCnSIBb84EwthqzSibwYSeGHsWn284sRRIN62kv8rUNtu5JDMAXNnaTU8AwGNCwA_-wwKxd9SIl-pwwLj6WR5L-5Dfuza34RzU=w2738-h2053-s-no?authuser=0

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Like others have said - avoid NC500

Cairngorms. Coffee at Glen Shee ski centre, then on to Lecht ski centre, stopping at Braemar for lunch at the Flying Stag. 

Also - image.thumb.png.9d1896aeaa17daa2b9783d6a47a25871.png

And

Glen Etive (just down't road from Slyfall famous shot)

AIL4fc_315JDv5E-KNzTff-kd2POin7q8WFBaYodKJ8jt5FUSr1CixwxIEr94y_RpLwOhSHmaflpgrIHEe-l8SWAbSmq6OMFmWRrxNV5DeY9fXzhwO0OPvfQODPCNhgXFmlRf3t39rb96xcQ76DjFfr3CKbRIGF330guyyqo7LDcBp6RfDLUYn6rXu5qTW3Gd4QQjDzJTs2m0eUL9pwhPY4KyHVhUM8AaRLlBlzb8ZGII9nE2QqoPk9od8FJgXXwUQfzprtJkGTGkcJCiyxG7qNJoaDaTU3eOtTAXLtpDV_reto9NZobwcuLB_-EV1NtfyH1_CxjGBbAwgBmbYilC6ArMddPmfEzzfpb6R02LPtf6iPxpeo4TAisa2gkGQ51DX1PJoWLUK8B69Tn1zkOeSmgyErPJbP2O5erSO8EvO7z4UyC7dWqFrDei_7wuyXbYpWH9NzM9xi0O6meY0yg3mYyb7FEpv3r4m8wjZGhbOSA363R8e3M2aTEfYPJfXOreP_FWcSo3KV7m2jnQWyVmYC9uWFDpYGKQ3xwIBZ0QsuirNkK_Z7qTcMsaWCcrffd8NKIs3hy_-kNuxrPP9WU1CBvTQQMHTJrJFmKUWc8rt2iYnmwv2Fi8tls1P2Pd0-qOk8-86tnA6KV44vz-jbwTjfKr7BxaWG8abEZBuFB_a8iBwRXA9C2ZJnvh2sUPcj0OMcKNtUQDZIj9r-9dipVVCdg7u48WmSrpnPmjXR_pjVOkB82OvwkftQxbNawABlYjQmhovZgNZ95oycl9R-O1kTZ0gBKiO9IEZCTtLCKkIz1SPlQ52bgWV7PMv4eFYCnSIBb84EwthqzSibwYSeGHsWn284sRRIN62kv8rUNtu5JDMAXNnaTU8AwGNCwA_-wwKxd9SIl-pwwLj6WR5L-5Dfuza34RzU=w2738-h2053-s-no?authuser=0

Thank you very much!!

Amazing info!!

Try the East Neuk of Fife . Coastal towns including Elie , St Monans , Pittenweem , Anstruther , Crail , St Andrews . Some decent scenic harbours , great beaches and plenty decent cafes . Definitely try the fish and chips in Anstruther . 

• Like 2

I think what we're all saying is that the opportunity to travel the length and breadth of much of Scotland is a bit of a travesty to " rush "  ............... I know I never could and have always had a sort of a Plan to start the day BUT nigh on always got sidetracked to visit some place I'll be coming upon and divert there and tarry a while .........  rarely pre-book accommodation in times past, just landing where the late afternoon took us .........  BUT I've also been reading of European tourists that can mess with that simple plan as they also, in large numbers sometimes, enjoy roaming Scotland too ........

Plan but be happy to manage it on a simple day to day basis and venture to unknowing spots is always brilliant  ✌️

Malc

• Like 1

Wherever you go, get up very early for a dawn drive. Enjoy empty roads and the best time for photography, then back to the B&B / Hotel for a full Scottish breakfast.

Follow with a nice walk, pub lunch, afternoon nap, then a late afternoon drive or more booze depending on how long the pub-lunch was.

• Like 3

On 8/24/2023 at 3:30 PM, Malc1 said:

I think what we're all saying is that the opportunity to travel the length and breadth of much of Scotland is a bit of a travesty to " rush "  ............... I know I never could and have always had a sort of a Plan to start the day BUT nigh on always got sidetracked to visit some place I'll be coming upon and divert there and tarry a while .........  rarely pre-book accommodation in times past, just landing where the late afternoon took us .........  BUT I've also been reading of European tourists that can mess with that simple plan as they also, in large numbers sometimes, enjoy roaming Scotland too ........

Plan but be happy to manage it on a simple day to day basis and venture to unknowing spots is always brilliant  ✌️

Malc

Wise words!!!

Scotland has some epic roads. When transmitting between one epic road and the next, there’s a good chance you’ll stumble upon many great roads!

As a Welshman, I’d describe Scotland as Wales on steroids! Adore the place!

• Like 1

Defo recommend NC500, done it in RCF and parts of it quite often (does help i live not to far away), also around Loch Ness way and Glen Coe… re the NC500 a car group that im affiliated with did this this weekend over 2 days with no problems everything from lambos n Porsches etc to the normal family car (over 40 cars in total).. no hassles

IMG_5103.jpeg

IMG_5126.jpeg

IMG_0792.jpeg

IMG_5121.jpeg

IMG_0126.jpeg

• Like 1

as you've been to Loch Ness today I'd have thought you'd be taking a snap of the Monster ....... there's hoards of people out there searching this weekend I'm seeing on the news 

She must surely be coming out to play !  Stags are good but you've missed seeing the main chance surely ?  🤣

Wot a lovely part of the world eh !

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links