Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What would you replace your LC with?

Flytvr

Ones that would tempt me…. on the used market:

- Mercedes AMG GT - the new one just announced, after a year or 2 of depreciation or a relatively new ish current Gen AMG GTC or S (with the widescreen infotainment)

- 992 911 Carrera S (after some depreciation, the GTS may be a better new proposition but I don’t think it’s worth the delta on the second hand market). 

- DB12/11, again after some serious deprecation very new still, like the AMG. DB11s if you can get past the interior. I think the exterior looks lovely.

- Ferrari Portofino - always liked the idea of owning a Ferrari.

Be keen to hear what others think.

• Like 1

Since 2015 I have tried various similar cars trying to find the one that works for me. I changed an R231 SL500 (18mths) to a Ferrari California (6 weeks) back to new SL500 (6mths) then to 2017 V8 Vantage roadster (18mths) then to new 992 (6mths) then back to 2018 V8 vantage roadster (9mths) then Boxster 4.0GTS (6mths) then 2021 Vantage coupe (4mths) which I part exed for my LC500 a couple of months ago.

My opinion of above cars is that the LC is hard to beat and certainly wouldnt change it for a 992 which to me felt more like a VW product and not very special at all.  I preferred old Vantage to the current model one which was wearing for longer trips due to road noise . This would put me off DB11 which has some similarities to new Vantage plus DB11 interior not for me.

Reality of having Ferrari for daily drive was a bit too much for me even if it wasjust a California so wouldnt revisit the brand (wife hated it ).

Mercedes SL500 were both great cars (design always looked a bit misshapen to me and I loathed the cheap black plastic wing vents)  .Latest model looks better but is silly price for V8 versions and dont know why anyone would be happy with the 2 litre model for £100k? Think AMG GT may not be that relaxing for long drives for same reasons as current Vantage but havent driven one.

i would recommend replacing your LC with a new LC500 convertible 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Only had mine a few months and don’t know what could come next. I suspect the next car would be a downgrade, something I wouldn’t worry so much about where I park it. Or maybe an AMG GT - the original wide body C - new one is just an SL with a hatchback and nowhere near the same sense of occasion. 911 doesn’t interest me - wrong noise, wrong engines, daft options list meaning used cars are a minefield for spec, and silly prices. New Granturismo looks good but I never gelled with my old Grancabrio and it terrified me every time it rattled. Same goes for Ferrari - I’m not sure I’m confident enough owning stuff like that - my TVRs needed regular fiddling with but parts were dirt cheap. Great dealers, bank vault build and a ten year warranty would be hard to give up.

Maybe Convertible R8 or the new Aston with the decent dashboard, err, yep, I’m struggling… what’s V8 or bigger, rare, well built, GT-capable, looks amazing and sounds fantastic? It’s not a long list!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gt3hopeful said:

i would recommend replacing your LC with a new LC500 convertible 🙂

There’s definitely some softening on soft top prices the past few weeks - could be an interesting sideways move away from a coupe. The red convertible at Hatfield at 76k still looks cheap, even if they did add six grand after it was initially advertised. No roof makes a difference with exhaust noise too 😎

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BrettMRC said:

Replaced mine with a Supra...

20230827_103705.thumb.jpg.9a62111f89967d32552f65483661f780.jpg

Probably the only car I would consider, or the Z4 equivalent, or just maybe an F type. For a year or more I had a calendar pic of the concept Supra but regretfully little of the rear end styling transferred to the production model. Shame because I lusted after that car more so than I do now. Still very worthy of consideration, albeit I think the Z4 is a very close contender. The F type whilst gorgeous to look at is likely to come with many blank cheques which will need a signature.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have considered this point and have come to the conclusion that I will just keep my LC. 😀

A lot of the apparent competitors have various issues (as per above) and massive pricing. At least in the LC you can actually use it to pop out without worrying about reliability.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Depends why you’d consider the change in the first place I guess.

First of all, now I have a growing family I’m no longer “wealthy”, so newer Porsches, astons Ferraris and the like are out for me - can’t pay the monthly , nor even the 2-3k bills that Porsches throw up, never mind exotica.

I’ve had 2 astons, a 911, 2 Boxsters and occasionally you need to find a lot of money if they are out of warranty.  If they are IN warranty that means depreciation is monstrous.

Staying in the uk the only boxes the LC doesn’t tick are space for 2 adults AND 2 small kids, and it’s not a convertible.  

Attractively styled sonorous 4 seat convertibles……RS4\5, Maserati gran cabrio (yikes £££), Mercedes E63/C63 cabriolet but none of these would give you the same sort of peace of mind.

if I was to move to Australia I’d have to fork out 33% of what the car is worth in luxury car tax and I’m not paying that, so I’d need to find a car worth not much more than 70k AUD - so that would probably be a GSF or RCF.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ThomasLexus94 said:

How are you finding the switch? I was looking at the GR Yaris & Supra before recently buying the LC.
I found the Supra head room quite tight for me.

It's a fairly pointless comparison in many respects - totally different price points, and completely different intent behind the designs.

The Supra is much easier to live with on UK roads, (in this neck of the woods at least) and a much more involved driving experience.  The LC is night and day better in terms of sound, build quality and looks.

I'm 6'3", so getting in the Supra is a bit of a clown show! 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2023 at 5:29 PM, shapiro said:

- Mercedes AMG GT - the new one just announced, after a year or 2 of depreciation or a relatively new ish current Gen AMG GTC or S (with the widescreen infotainment)

- 992 911 Carrera S (after some depreciation, the GTS may be a better new proposition but I don’t think it’s worth the delta on the second hand market). 

- DB12/11, again after some serious deprecation very new still, like the AMG. DB11s if you can get past the interior. I think the exterior looks lovely.

.........  if you're thinking to ever stay with Lexus one could always try a brilliant but elderly early Ls400 ..........  V8  4ltr  ......  that's been well cared for 😉

My thoughts to get myself a 1965'ish Bentley S3 were scuppered being told it would probably spend as much time on a trailer to the repair shop as I would ever use it ..  and with silly £££££ bills too

And being an ex car dealer I know some of the pitfalls of big Mercs, Astons, Porsche, more modern Bentleys too .  etc etc etc .  and it's usually mega £££££s

So an older brilliant Ls400 seems to fill that space right now 

and she drives a dream too ..  of course  😇

Malc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malc1 said:

.........  if you're thinking to ever stay with Lexus one could always try a brilliant but elderly early Ls400 ..........  V8  4ltr  ......  that's been well cared for 😉

My thoughts to get myself a 1965'ish Bentley S3 were scuppered being told it would probably spend as much time on a trailer to the repair shop as I would ever use it ..  and with silly £££££ bills too

And being an ex car dealer I know some of the pitfalls of big Mercs, Astons, Porsche, more modern Bentleys too .  etc etc etc .  and it's usually mega £££££s

So an older brilliant Ls400 seems to fill that space right now 

and she drives a dream too ..  of course  😇

Malc

When they do go wrong, the LS400 will often repair itself!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 2:51 PM, Flytvr said:

What would you replace your LC with?

I love my LC 500, and I know that it’s the best sports car in its category for running cost reliability warranty etc. etc.

but my heart is still with the new Aston Vantage, I use to have the old shape, and love the new model and Merc engine may help reliability and costs

On 8/31/2023 at 3:29 PM, shapiro said:

I do like the DB 11 but think the vantage is better looking, I love the DB 11 when it came out but put them side by side and the Vantage just looks perfect.

if I didn’t go Aston I would go 911 S the new S is all you need actually the base Carrera is enough but the S gives that bit extra anything more is unusable 

My friend and neighbournhas a new 911 Turbo S convertible it’s lovely 

but he pootles about at 20-30 miles an hour and Even when he puts his foot down I can keep up in the LC because he has to ease up after a couple of seconds 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

911...But the biggest problem with any version of the 911 is the unfortunate lifespan of the $600+ rear tires.

Has anyone made it 10,000 miles on the original tiers?

Nuts!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links