Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just spent 2 weeks touring Portugal

NemesisUK

Ah Lexus Spotting ……. Very few on the Isle of Sheppey too 🤔

Do they still sell those  “ I Spy “ books for the kids ? 

NOW then, lucky you travelling the length and breadth of beautiful Portugal …… wish it had been me !

Malc 

• Like 1

Portugal is beautiful country... 

Funny enough I was rather surprised when I rented executive car in Portugal and what I got was Lexus IS300h. What are the odds of that happening? Apart of that one I have not seen another Lexus in neither Portugal nor northern Spain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

From the north through the interior to the south and not one single Lexus, of any description, spotted. Nothing. Really surprised..

What route from Wiltshire did you take if you don't mind me asking? 😎

20 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

What route from Wiltshire did you take if you don't mind me asking? 😎

Gatwick to Porto 😁, sorry I didn't mean to suggest I drove there or whilst there. We were cossetted in an brand new air conditioned Mercedes (cough :blushing:) in our travels into the northern mountains then down through the Duro valley and down the spine of the country. Perhaps it shouldn't be  surprising as people generally are not that well paid, apparently the average  wage is just 750 euro a month.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Gatwick to Porto 😁, sorry I didn't mean to suggest I drove there or whilst there. We were cossetted in an brand new air conditioned Mercedes (cough :blushing:) in our travels into the northern mountains then down through the Duro valley and down the spine of the country. Perhaps it shouldn't be  surprising as people generally are not that well paid, apparently the average  wage is just 750 euro a month.

Sounds pretty spectacular Pete, especially the Douro valley for some of best wines in the world at knock out prices 🍷🍷🍷

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Sometimes it's the only way to travel. I did it myself out of Naples right along the Amalfi coastline and back via Salerno. No way I would drive those roads competing with a zillion scooters etc. I imagine the Douro valley also has some challenging roads sans a hoard of mad Italians who think they are Fangio recreated.

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Sounds pretty spectacular Pete, especially the Douro valley for some of best wines in the world at knock out prices 🍷🍷🍷

Wines flowed freely and very reasonably priced, another advantage of not driving oneself 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Sometimes it's the only way to travel. I did it myself out of Naples right along the Amalfi coastline and back via Salerno. No way I would drive those roads competing with a zillion scooters etc. I imagine the Douro valley also has some challenging roads sans a hoard of mad Italians who think they are Fangio recreated.

Some of the roads(?) to access the various wineries were very tight 😳 not to mention the total lack of crash barriers on the mountain roads, shear drops of many 100's of metres. Roads generally were very quiet though 

• Like 1

Driving in foreign lands requires exemplary and sober skills ……. at least as much as here in the UK …… and great care to remember they ALL drive on the wrong side of the road too …….. I just sooooo enjoy driving almost anywhere and everywhere too 

Malc 

9 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Driving in foreign lands requires exemplary and sober skills ……. at least as much as here in the UK …… and great care to remember they ALL drive on the wrong side of the road too …….. I just sooooo enjoy driving almost anywhere and everywhere too 

Malc 

You can say that again !. try driving down from Avoriaz in winter in a BMW 5 series tourer WITHOUT snowchains. IF you were not sober at the start you certainly are by the time you reach the bottom. On the 7th day whilst resting god took 5 seconds to make an idiot who thinks it doesn't matter if his car is rear wheel ,or front wheel drive. Paah, snow chains, why bother this is a BMW, the Germans must know about snow !

My Ls400s I just NEVER take out in snow and ice ……. They’re just useless and dangerous …… always have a more useful car for that type of environment ……… anyway, Portugal is such a blessed place on fine sunny days  

Malc 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2023 at 1:00 PM, NemesisUK said:

From the north through the interior to the south and not one single Lexus, of any description, spotted. Nothing. Really surprised..

I have driven all the way from Kent to South Spain and I would say April-May is the best: good weather without it being too cold or warm, and everything is in bloom. you see the landscape change along the way and it is very beautiful (atlantic route, through San Sebastian). The route through Perpignan and Barcelona is less pleasant - the AP7 road suffers from too much truck traffic and the tarmac is a bit more beaten up than through the other side. The other one isn't perfect, but a bit better.

On 9/16/2023 at 3:43 PM, Ken R said:

Very few spotted in Alicante however there is a NX300H taxi. Didn't get a chance to hire it though, had to make do with a Skoda Superb!

Last May I only say a GS in sonic titanium, I think. And the occasional CT or UX, but definitely not many.
Where I did see LOTS of both RX and ES was in California....  and a good number of IS too

• Like 1

Booked a place in south of Spain for a month April/May next year. Driving from Calais, ten nights down, seven nights back. Including four nights in Portugal.

Will be driving the Honda unless....

1. I can persuade the wife that we need an SC430

2. I can find a good SC430

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links