Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2nd Key Fob

Just wondering what other peoples experience has been regarding the provision of the 2nd Key for their NX450h+.

I took delivery of my car on 8th June 2023 but still no update from the dealership as to when the second key will be available.

Are new cars now coming through with 2 keys ?

Thanks

Graham

• Like 2

Our NX350h was delivered on 28th July with just one (and a half) keys. We have no idea when the second one will be arriving.

This is very annoying if you want to pick up the car when your other half has dropped it off somewhere.

• Thanks 1

one other forum mentioned that the key card is not compatible with the latest Lexus security (UWB), seems that at least in the UK they will not give you a key card.

I only received one full key one when I picked up my car last week (and an additional blade key).

I guess the future will be unlocking the car with wearables, e.g. apple watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recent ‘update’ from Customer Service - no timescale for my second for for my RZ bought in May. No answer why my wife’s Yaris delivered the same time came w8th 2 keys. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My 450h+ Takumi arrived mid July minus second fob, wheel bolts, manuals and towbar (which has now been fitted at the main dealer).

No updates at all on the key fob or locking wheel bolts😬

My 450h originally came with one key and I then received a campaign letter from Lexus UK telling me to book my vehicle in with my local dealership to have a second key cloned.

• Like 1

It is indeed a waiting game, unfortunately. I only got one full key and then a blade. 

As I've said elsewhere, all I got was the 'shrug of the shoulders' by the dealer and told it could take 'up to a year'. That was on collection day over a month ago and that was, unsurprisingly, the last time they were in touch with me. 

I highly doubt I'll ever receive my second key fob or my locking wheel bolts given the non-existent service from the company. I'm actively looking to see if I can find alternative locking wheel bolts without having to involve Lexus. I haven't a clue how I'm going to get around the situation over the lack of a second key though.

1 hour ago, Gary H said:

I haven't a clue how I'm going to get around the situation over the lack of a second key though.

Not having a second key is a real issue I know. The only thing I can suggest is to have an auto locksmith do the cloning of a second key, but this will involve unnecessary expense.

NX picked up April 22 2023 : one "classic key", one key card, and one mechanical key waiting for the electronics.

No news yet... I was told it may be a 6 months + waiting time 

• Sad 1

On 10/5/2023 at 11:53 PM, Hayzee said:

Not having a second key is a real issue I know. The only thing I can suggest is to have an auto locksmith do the cloning of a second key, but this will involve unnecessary expense.

I did go to a reputed auto locksmith. He investigated and said he could only get the key from Lexus but they were available at £591. Like you it is a real issue for me and I paid up the money. Two weeks later the locksmith came back and said that Lexus had removed the availability of the remote fob. They had supplied the useless blade though. He could recover the cost of the fob but the blade had already been cut so I could not be refunded for that. As far as I’m concerned it is not the fault of the locksmith. We both have been scammed by Lexus - again!

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 4:57 PM, NiCoRe said:

NX picked up April 22 2023 : one "classic key", one key card, and one mechanical key waiting for the electronics.

No news yet... I was told it may be a 6 months + waiting time 

The key card, like many US vehicles, may not have the latest security. Here is the reply I received from Lexus U.K. when I complained I had not received the key card that was in the original specification. 
I would happily have taken the lower security version while waiting for the second fob.

IMG_6560.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My car came with two keys but this was over a year ago and the keys don’t utilise the UWB technology. I assume that not only are the keys different but there are likely to be some changes to the car components too as the car and key both need to be talking to each other in the same 'language' in order for the doors to be unlocked and the engine to start. Hence, it is no surprise to me that you cannot acquire an old style key because that would be talking a different language. The thefts of Yaris are not such a problem so they can be delivered with the old style keys.

Once the production of keys that utilise UWB technology ramps up, the problem will go away. My sympathies are with those who only have one key at the moment but, in the long run, they will have a vehicle more resistant to being stolen. Given the choice, I would rather have one UWB key now with a second to come rather than 2 keys and the increased worry of theft (as I have now).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hayzee said:

Malcolm is says in the letter above that UWB was introduced with NG vehicles, surely that would include your 450h ?

No, UWB was introduced on the NX in early 2023 along with other changes such as coloured trim on the glovebox lid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

No, UWB was introduced on the NX in early 2023 along with other changes such as coloured trim on the glovebox lid.

My 450h was manufactured mid December 2022....would that be included?

I received an email on 21st March 2023 advising that they had started to build my 450h+.

As this date was apparently around the time the USB feature was added I contacted Customer Relations with my vin and reg and they confirmed I have a model year 24 vehicle and that it has the USB feature.

If anyone else needs confirmation they could also ask customer relations.

• Like 1

When I got my NX (after the short 14 month wait).  I got 1 key fob and blade and told second keyfob would follow from Lexus.  Later when looking into reason for delay, I also noted the missing locking wheel nuts and lifting jack.  Dealer seems exposured by Lexus supply issues, but dealer told me I would be getting all the missing items.  I might write to Lexus UK to get this reconfirmed.  Not great, did make me look out the window and make sure I had both wing mirrors.  I note Lexus has changed the current spec to remove the 2nd keyfob and locking wheels nuts, seems a bit nickel-and-diming.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, foxes1884 said:

When I got my NX (after the short 14 month wait).  I got 1 key fob and blade and told second keyfob would follow from Lexus.  Later when looking into reason for delay, I also noted the missing locking wheel nuts and lifting jack.  Dealer seems exposured by Lexus supply issues, but dealer told me I would be getting all the missing items.  I might write to Lexus UK to get this reconfirmed.  Not great, did make me look out the window and make sure I had both wing mirrors.  I note Lexus has changed the current spec to remove the 2nd keyfob and locking wheels nuts, seems a bit nickel-and-diming.

As there is no spare wheel, I don't think a jack is part of the specification. However, it's crazy for Lexus to even think it's practical to only have one key fob!

• Like 2

In the USA, it is possible to use the Link app to start and drive the car. We are happy for the cellphone to keep our bank access secure with secure recognition systems, how can it not be secure for our car? Lexus UK just making the car only fully useful for one driver.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links