Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yet Another Tyre Thread!

All,

I was in for my 10,000 mile service at Newcastle last week and they have picked up all 4 tyres as needing replaced.  As the cold weather seems to now be on us, seems its time for a change.  I know its been done to death at this point but just looking for a quick check on people's thoughts on options.  I've said myself in the past that I like the Goodyear asymmetric 5 tyres but now reading up I'm seriously considering migrating to the new Contisport contact 7. Its been released and its getting loads of positive reviews against the mighty Michelin PS4S.  Car currently has Michelin Supersports on it and don't really want to re-fit them. 

Michelin have an offer on at the minute meaning both the MPS4S and Conti 7 tyres work out at the same price so its going to come down to performance and crucially, wear.  Do around 12,000 miles a year in the car so dont want to be spending £800 a year on tyres if I don't have to!!

Anyone with any experience of the continentals, are they as good as everyone is saying they are??  I've had Sport contact 6s on the ISF and they only lasted 6-7000 miles......

Marcus

Hi, I changed 4s to conti 7 on my rcf and they are better grip especially in wet. You can easily feel the difference.

On dry hard to say, both are great.

wear: conti 7 thread wear 240, 4s 300.

So 4s will last 20% longer with same driving style. 
I hope that kills this topic:) 

• Like 1

I’d read on another threads on here that the Conti 7s compound is apparently not as hard wearing as the PS4S.  That’s confirms it.

I had intended to change my PSS’s for PS4S’s, but have been considering the Conti 7s for the better performance.  However I only do sub 2k a year, so the wear is not such an issue for me.

Much appreciate the responses.  Looks like the MPS4S is the way to go then.  It’s certainly the safest option and having had them on a previous car they did wear well.

Got to be better than the Michelin Supersports, particularly in the wet/cold!

• Like 1

I couldn't obtain MPS4S's for my new wheels and so I went with Asymmetric 5's. I didn't want to stray from the Michelins, but needs must and after a lot of research, I went with the Goodyears.

I've pushed them in both wet and dry at questionable speeds, and they performed incredibly well. In the dry I was chasing down a DB11 and in the wet, a new E63. Neither cars put a gap between me and the ISF, and the feedback from the wheels was impressive. They're wearing really well too. Heading towards 5k with no signs of wear. Very happy customer and worth a nose.

• Like 2

Appreciate the responses so far.  I’m inclined do disregard the contis based upon wear rate so am trying to balance up the pros/cons of MPS5 and MPS4S tyres. Slightly different applications but I do quite a few miles do it does add up.

One thing I have noted is how relatively cheap tyres seem to be at the moment.  Currently looking around the £700 delivered before fitting!  Seems very reasonable to me…..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

Appreciate the responses so far.  I’m inclined do disregard the contis based upon wear rate so am trying to balance up the pros/cons of MPS5 and MPS4S tyres. Slightly different applications but I do quite a few miles do it does add up.

One thing I have noted is how relatively cheap tyres seem to be at the moment.  Currently looking around the £700 delivered before fitting!  Seems very reasonable to me…..

That is a good price. I think I paid £550 (18's though), HOWEVER, we had a really good offer through Asda of all places, and they did it for all four shipped straight to our door. I can't say I'll see that proce again, but here's hoping when the time comes 🤞🏼

2 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

Make sure you know a place that will actually fit loose tyres before pulling the trigger. Some tyre shops will refuse to, unless you're buying the rubber from them.

Fitting is about £20 per wheel in my experience too. So, have that in mind when gauging prices. 🙂

• Like 1

Just my 10pence worth.

MP4S on my GSF were brilliant. Feel, grip, wear all spot on.

Cant comment on the new Conti 7's, however in may experience on the last 3 cars (not the ISF which had bridge stones then MPSS) which had contis fitted when I got them, and then changed to the equivalent Michelin (MPSS, PS2 x2), the michelins I always felt gave better, steering feel, ride, noise, grip (esp wet) and most importantly(when your spanking £200+ a corner) wear.

I would check the usual suspects, KF were surprising competitive when I replaced 18" tyres earlier this year, and Costco had a cracking deal on the GSF tyres. Its a minefield but for me Michelin is almost a default choice.  My new car has P zeros, and if I get to the point where they need changing will be going to MP4S or equivalent.

Fair point for the wear factor. I found the OE PSS got shredded on the rear of my GSF. PS4 and PS4S wore very well. I guess with my dad only using his car as a weekend/ driving trip car, rather than a daily, the contis weren't a bad choice.

I have nearly always found Camskill to be great value and usually have some Michelin discount when purchasing 2 or 4 tyres, would recommend having a look.

I had a set of the Conti Sport Contact 7 fitted to my BMW M2 last year to replace its stock Michelin Pilot Super Sports, ran them on a couple of track days and some mixed road use until I sold the car. They were a pretty big improvement, the front tyres in particular felt a lot stronger than the old Michelins, less understeer and better balance. Response and steering feel was about equal to the PSS, but both are better than the MP4S which have a softer sidewall design so can feel a bit woolly (but are more comfortable).

Wet weather grip is seriously good compared to the PSS, which are a liability when it gets damp. The Contis are so good they almost feel like an all season tyre in the wet.

Wear seemed about in line with the PSS, at least on a full track day they'd both lose about the same amount of tread, can't really comment on day to day use though as I only did about 1000 road miles on them.

The Conti 7 is definitely what I'll be putting on my RCF when the time comes, unless the MP5S is available by then (they're 21 inch only at the moment).

I had the PS4S on mine, as much as they are great on dry warm days, I was never too convinced in the wet and they can be downright awful in the cold. They also "crabbed" a lot when manoeuvring.

For summer they are a great choice, for year-round driving I think I'd try to get something else - not necessarily an all-season, but just something less extreme than the PS4S with less of the downsides.

All, so ended up getting Michelin Pilot Sport 5 tyres from Camskill.  Very soon to be commenting too much but a few observations compared to Michelin Supersports are that they are much quieter, better in the cold/wet and don’t crab at all.  Also very communicative and seem to have a more compliant ride.

Hard to imagine that they are going to be better in the dry but seems the technology has moved on a bit over the last few years so very pleased so far.  Also £300 cheaper for a full set!

• Like 2

On 10/27/2023 at 11:33 PM, Jgtcracer said:

All, so ended up getting Michelin Pilot Sport 5 tyres from Camskill.

Pilot Sport 5 or Pilot Sport S 5? They're two different tyres.

The Pilot Sport S 5 is the successor to the Pilot Sport 4 S (which was the successor to the Pilot Super Sport).

The Pilot Sport 5 is the replacement to the Pilot Sport 4, which replaced the Pilot Sport 3, etc.   

3 hours ago, ubersonic said:

Pilot Sport 5 or Pilot Sport S 5? They're two different tyres.

The Pilot Sport S 5 is the successor to the Pilot Sport 4 S (which was the successor to the Pilot Super Sport).

The Pilot Sport 5 is the replacement to the Pilot Sport 4, which replaced the Pilot Sport 3, etc.   

Pilot Sport 5 tyres.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links