Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Link + security

Six weeks in with my UX Premium Plus.  The dealer set me up with Lexus Link + and I have been trying it out.

It looks great to be able to turn on the Climate Control remotely, but I find this can also turn on the engine.  I thought running the engine while the car is unattended is not legal in the UK - Highway Code rule 239.  So OK to use on my driveway, but not when parked on the road.

Also, although the car is locked, all the instrument panel lights up as if the car could be driven away (although the car would need to be unlocked, which can also be done remotely via the app).

Also, if someone hacks my phone, they could unlock my car without the key which seems a big security risk, particularly if the climate control has already been turned on.

So - I log out of the app after using it, and am not sure I am going to use it much.

Any other thoughts / experiences?

I hired a car in the US which had remote start, but as soon as you opened the door the engine stoped which meant you had to re start it, Ok i suppose its nice to start the car and walm it up / de misting it before getting in,  but other than that its a bit of a gimmick. 

3 hours ago, johdhm said:

Six weeks in with my UX Premium Plus.  The dealer set me up with Lexus Link + and I have been trying it out.

It looks great to be able to turn on the Climate Control remotely, but I find this can also turn on the engine.  I thought running the engine while the car is unattended is not legal in the UK - Highway Code rule 239.  So OK to use on my driveway, but not when parked on the road.

Also, although the car is locked, all the instrument panel lights up as if the car could be driven away (although the car would need to be unlocked, which can also be done remotely via the app).

Also, if someone hacks my phone, they could unlock my car without the key which seems a big security risk, particularly if the climate control has already been turned on.

So - I log out of the app after using it, and am not sure I am going to use it much.

Any other thoughts / experiences?

You can use the app to turn on heaters etc remotely and car will start engine if needed. The doors remain locked however and if like the NX then as soon as door handle touched it switches off.

1 hour ago, BillSt said:

Many use their phone to access bank accounts. Facial recognition and biometric scans are secure enough for that so why not for car?

Judging by the quality of Lexus’s app (and server software supporting it) programmers working for banks are better qualified. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.  Firstly, apologies, I meant to post it on the UX page not the NX page, but I think the software is the same.

Next, I don't have banking apps on my phone as I regard them as unnecessary (for me), and I note the comment about the app programmers: banking apps are very highly regulated and controlled compared with car ones. Also, I am reassured to hear that the engine stops when I touch the door handle.

On cold days when my car is in my driveway I plan to log on to the app, set the remote climate control, and then log off. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Serguei said:

Judging by the quality of Lexus’s app (and server software supporting it) programmers working for banks are better qualified. 

which is why it is probably better to rely on the built-in bio security of the phone.

• Like 1

Quitting is illegal but as there are only 11 cops in the whole of the U.K., the chances of getting nicked are fairly slim when the 11 cops are busy separating chavs then defending themselves in court for doing so.  You have to accept the feature for what it is.  You have to use your phone and if it needs to start to generate heat or cold, it will.  I use mine in a car park in Manchester and if somebody sees or hears it, they can’t nick it any easier than if it isn’t running.  You might need to reconsider John.  If they want your Lexus they’ll take it at knifepoint and if that happens let them have it.  Don’t rely on the 11 cops to get it back because another 2 will have just been sacked for doing their job so get gap insurance and bother none.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would prefer to delete Lexus Link and make it more simple. Unlike most of the population if I go out with my phone so what, but now it seems you have to have it with you. 2 days into ownership the tech guys at the dealer did some some things so when I started the car the dreaded terms and conditions did not keep appearing. 
all good since but to get ready for my wife to disappear in the car I turned off my phone and let the car connect to hers but terms and conditions are back. Signed into the car with the Lexus link a/c being helped over the phone by my dealer but it still comes up.
Email gone off to Lexus from the dealer as there has been issues over the last few days???

I just want a car the both of us or either can get connected and it go to the map.

i have the Lexus + app. 

18 minutes ago, Richard1200 said:

I would prefer to delete Lexus Link and make it more simple. Unlike most of the population if I go out with my phone so what, but now it seems you have to have it with you. 2 days into ownership the tech guys at the dealer did some some things so when I started the car the dreaded terms and conditions did not keep appearing. 
all good since but to get ready for my wife to disappear in the car I turned off my phone and let the car connect to hers but terms and conditions are back. Signed into the car with the Lexus link a/c being helped over the phone by my dealer but it still comes up.
Email gone off to Lexus from the dealer as there has been issues over the last few days???

I just want a car the both of us or either can get connected and it go to the map.

i have the Lexus + app. 

It’s a veritable pita but it’s the way things are going.  I think the newer generation consider a smartphone as a part of the car.  

UX2020 

Hi All

Lexus link app I could access service appointments , send destinations etc directly from app . New app it seems to take me to Lexus webpage where I have to login to access many things . 
Is that how it is for UX 2020 owners ? Or is it me . See below , app takes me to this page when I click on maps , try to book  appointments or click on link multimedia etc . I can’t seem to send destinations from within the app either . 
Thanks 

IMG_7640.png

IMG_7641.png

6 hours ago, Richard1200 said:

to get ready for my wife to disappear in the car

Should we concerned for your wife's safety? 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ammu said:

UX2020 

Hi All

Lexus link app I could access service appointments , send destinations etc directly from app . New app it seems to take me to Lexus webpage where I have to login to access many things . 
Is that how it is for UX 2020 owners ? Or is it me . See below , app takes me to this page when I click on maps , try to book  appointments or click on link multimedia etc . I can’t seem to send destinations from within the app either . 
Thanks 

IMG_7640.png

IMG_7641.png

Same on my 21 RX.  Its astonishing how unprofessional the cloud and phone software is, the lack of testing, and the lack of urgency to fix any of it. It seems quite desperate at this point. Changes are now being made which are serious feature regressions.  How did they become so incompetent?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PDM said:

Same on my 21 RX.  Its astonishing how unprofessional the cloud and phone software is, the lack of testing, and the lack of urgency to fix any of it. It seems quite desperate at this point. Changes are now being made which are serious feature regressions.  How did they become so incompetent?

19 hours ago, Ammu said:

I can’t seem to send destinations from within the app either . 

I use the NaviBridge app to send destinations to the car which is a 2023 model with the larger touch screen interface.

13 minutes ago, Roger Bill said:

I use the NaviBridge app to send destinations to the car which is a 2023 model with the larger touch screen interface.

Thanks . In the past on my 2020 model I could send destinations via Lexus link app . With the new Lexus link +app , I have to log into to the Lexus website and then use that to send destinations, seems like travelling back in time . 

12 minutes ago, Ammu said:

Thanks . In the past on my 2020 model I could send destinations via Lexus link app . With the new Lexus link +app , I have to log into to the Lexus website and then use that to send destinations, seems like travelling back in time . 

Sorry I should have explained that I just use NaviBridge to set destinations and schedule them to be sent to the car next time the phone and car are connected. I don't use the Lexus Link app or the Lexus website at all for this. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links