Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I lost my car keys and do not have a spare as it was not available because of chip shortage in June 23 when I purchased car new. This is now a big problem as spare key now available but cannot be paired. Car has already off the road for a week I have been informed by Lexus that is likely to be another 2 weeks before problem is sorted.Has anyone else had this problem and did it take this long to resolve?

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

17 hours ago, Peter Lemon said:

I lost my car keys and do not have a spare as it was not available because of chip shortage in June 23 when I purchased car new. This is now a big problem as spare key now available but cannot be paired. Car has already off the road for a week I have been informed by Lexus that is likely to be another 2 weeks before problem is sorted.Has anyone else had this problem and did it take this long to resolve?

The single key was supplied with a numbered tag. This was supposed to allow a replacement key to be available quickly.

52 minutes ago, BillSt said:

The single key was supplied with a numbered tag. This was supposed to allow a replacement key to be available quickly.

Every Lexus I've had came with a small metal numbered tag, even when they came with two fobs and a key card. There was a note in the pouch (and in the handbook) with the keys saying to keep the tag (key number plate) in a safe place, not in the car. New mechanical keys can be cut with the information on the tag.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillSt said:

The tag allows the physical key to be cut, so all the locks don't have to be changed. But without a master key you cannot programme the immobiliser to accept a new key - you potentially need to replace the immobiliser ECU - this is the risk Lexus has been playing by not supplying customers with two master keys.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remember saying this scenario would arise at some point in time when this single key issue first began and sure enough it has.

I pretty sure I also read fairly recently that if it did happen Lexus would ensure the full cost of providing replacement keys, locks (if required) and programming would be covered by themselves.

The actual time taken to do all this was however not mentioned but this appears to reflect quite badly when compared to how long it takes to steal some models without a key!

• Like 2

This whole no second key issue is a serious PITA and though I only had to wait 3 months for mine, I was terrified of losing the only key I had to share between my wife and me. I attached a Tile tracker to the key ring but was still nervous.

I fully sympathise with the OP and as already mentioned, hope they have a Lexus courtesy car, and do not incur any costs.

• Like 2

Lexus has sold around 4,000 NXs this year, presumably all with only a single key. Given those numbers it would seem a high probability that one or more owners would lose their key and therefore a company focused on customer service would hold a spare or two of the components needed in country to avoid delays in getting a customer up and running again. Sadly Lexus in the UK is not a customer focused company these days.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, warrken52 said:

I must be fortunate as my dealer gave me an air tag to locate my key.Hope this isn’t instead of a spare key.

My dealer did not. Another dealer did. Guess which dealer I will use in future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beamish said:

Lexus must be doing something right.

Sales to the end of November are up just short of 60%.

Some interesting figures here:  https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/

This is comparing to pandemic years. 

2019 Lexus said they sold 15,723 cars in the UK. 2023 is on track to come out somewhere around that. So yes, 2023 much better than 2020, 2021, or 2022, but not entirely exceptional.

https://media.lexus.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/pdf/Lexus-UK-Sales-Figures-October-2022.pdf

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Beamish said:

Sales to the end of November are up just short of 60%.

2022 was particularly bad for Lexus due to their supply chain issues. 2021 wasn't as bad because they were holding buffer stocks of components but they then ran out going into 2022.

• Like 1

May I suggest to those owners having only one key (but also to the other owners having 2 keys) to attach to the key ring a label with your mobile number written on it? One of those labels that you can buy in an ironmonger shop or a shoes repair shop for a few cents. At least there is one chance that someone who finds your key may call you.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, serbarry said:

May I suggest to those owners having only one key (but also to the other owners having 2 keys) to attach to the key ring a label with your mobile number written on it?

My AA Membership includes a lost key recovery system.  A tag provides the Finder with the AA’s details and the incentive of a £10 finder’s fee!

Obviously it’s not restricted to car keys!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LenT said:

My AA Membership includes a lost key recovery system.  A tag provides the Finder with the AA’s details and the incentive of a £10 finder’s fee!

Obviously it’s not restricted to car keys!

Lots of companies “white label” the Keycare offering, I don’t know but presume the AA might also.

NFU don’t cover lost car keys so I took a separate policy out. Arnold Clark seem to have the cheapest rate! https://arnoldclark.keycare.co.uk/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tickedon said:

Lots of companies “white label” the Keycare offering, I don’t know but presume the AA might also.

My KeyCare cover comes ‘free’ with my car insurance.  But this AA page outlines the cover and replacement service it claims to offer.

https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/key-assist

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Lemon said:

Lexus have ordered new parts to resolve issue but I have been advised that will not be available until 6th January on back order.

At least Lexus have ordered the parts.

Hope you weren't wanting your car before then.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Peter Lemon said:

Lexus have ordered new parts to resolve issue but I have been advised that will not be available until 6th January on back order.

Hopefully the Red Sea issues will not delay your wait any longer. Good luck.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 9:39 AM, WhiteHart said:

Hopefully the Red Sea issues will not delay your wait any longer. Good luck.

If Lexus have any sense and respect for customers, the keys are small enough to airfreight at relatively zero cost.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BillSt said:

If Lexus have any sense and respect for customers

That’s a nice thought, but …..😁. I would have thought they would ship it with a large consignment of parts. Hopefully you will be sorted very soon. 

7 minutes ago, The_Doctor said:

I'd avoid that SMMT link for the time being, while the address is legit the content seems to be something else currently!

Good to see the car industry is keeping up their poor reputation against cyber attacks. 😞 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links