Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

UX interior cleaning - what’s faux leather / just plastic

Hi all

We have a Takami UX300e, with ash white interior. I have just cleaned the seats and everything else white with Dr Leather cleaner and then stain block.

But the tops of the door cards, some dash areas and the console side pads are black. Are these areas black faux leather, like the seats (to be cleaned with said leather cleaner), or are they just soft touch plastic and should be cleaned with a regular interior trim cleaner, eg diluted Surfex HD from Bilt Hamber?

Thanks

Our UX looked like the leather had never been cleaned by the previous owner in 2 years! There were a few black scuffs too which I thought would be permanent, but the Dr Leather stuff has got the seats looking like new. All marks gone, nice and matt. The water was dirty when I washed the new micro fibre cloths I had used, a lot of grime had been removed! 

• Like 1

It seems the new 300h will be offered with non leather option.  I’d take Alcantara every time.  I don’t yearn leather and it starts to stretch and distort in no time.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don C said:

I don’t yearn leather and it starts to stretch and distort in no time.

I'd take leather as I like the character it gains in usage, a patina if you like. My experience with alcantara, whilst being very comfortable, it shows signs of wear by the pile flattening and it can be difficult to keep clean.

Horses for courses, we are all different and there is no 'correct' choice!

• Like 2

I'll second the damp cloth, and them maybe some kind of protection; I use 303 aerospace  protectant.

As I understand it, even any real leather is coated with some kind of plastic based clear coat, so  I'm not sure how much, if any, difference it makes using specific leather products.

• Like 2

When I had my UX, the most I ever done was wipe them over with a clean, damp window leather every few months or so (mine was an F Sport with the red leather). I did use a proper leather cleaner on the front seats a couple of times but to be honest, I hardly noticed any dirt being collected... So the seats were either cleaner than I thought (I thought the drivers seat was slowly turning more maroon than remaining bright red...) or the cleaner I had was rubbish! 

On 12/25/2023 at 7:56 PM, NemesisUK said:

I'd take leather as I like the character it gains in usage, a patina if you like. My experience with alcantara, whilst being very comfortable, it shows signs of wear by the pile flattening and it can be difficult to keep clean.

Horses for courses, we are all different and there is no 'correct' choice!

I'm of the same opinion. I don't mind fair wear and tear. Even after three and a half years with my UX, it had only developed a few minor creases. Almost all of them on the offside bolsters of the driver's seat as you'd expect. 

I do like Alcantara when it's new and/or been well cared for. I recall once having a courtesy car many years ago with it. However, I'm all too aware it's flattens out, bobbles e.t.c... It's always put me off considering it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gary H said:

When I had my UX, the most I ever done was wipe them over with a clean, damp window leather every few months or so (mine was an F Sport with the red leather). I did use a proper leather cleaner on the front seats a couple of times but to be honest, I hardly noticed any dirt being collected... So the seats were either cleaner than I thought (I thought the drivers seat was slowly turning more maroon than remaining bright red...) or the cleaner I had was rubbish! 

I'm of the same opinion. I don't mind fair wear and tear. Even after three and a half years with my UX, it had only developed a few minor creases. Almost all of them on the offside bolsters of the driver's seat as you'd expect. 

I do like Alcantara when it's new and/or been well cared for. I recall once having a courtesy car many years ago with it. However, I'm all too aware it's flattens out, bobbles e.t.c... It's always put me off considering it.

I’ve never had it flatten but I’m pedantic at keeping it clean.  Frequent wipes bring the pile up.  I chose ash grey interior because it’s light and I can see any dirt.  I go round and do the door shuts every wash and I use an Autoglym synthetic leather to wipe the seats every week.  Stubborn marks get the Autoglym interior cleaner and they get an occasional leather wipe.  I’ll go synthetic if it’s an option next time.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links