Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

sorry another security question

george72

1 hour ago, beyond the blue said:

But that damage would be done whether you had a ghost fitted or not.

That’s my point, you could still have a massive bill even with a ghost. In hindsight I would rather not have got mine back, it’s taken 2 months to fix. A payout for a stolen car would have been preferable. All this talk on various threads would be redundant if Lexus did something about the Canbus vulnerability on the ES.

7 hours ago, wendle said:

Another option is a metal bollard fitted in front of the car ( around £550 ), as others have stated the Ghost should  stop the car from being stolen but not the damage caused while trying.

Hopefully the bollard will act as a deterrent from trying to steel the car

I guess this is the type of driveway bollard you have in mind, Chris.  If the drive is suitable I would think this could be very effective - especially the retracting type that has no surface locks to attack.  I would add that a CCTV security system is also a good investment.

And there’s no doubt that professional thieves target specific models and clearly consider them most vulnerable when parked at home overnight.  But of course they’re less effective when your Lexus is parked in a supermarket or restaurant car park.

https://bollardsecurity.co.uk/product/r5-telescopic-bollard/#fulldesc

The question of whether to announce the installation of a Ghost (or similar) immobiliser with, say, window stickers, is an interesting one.  I think it would deter the opportunist -  especially if combined with a Disklok.

It could be argued that knowing what they might be facing, the thieves will be prepared.  However, the likes of Ghost do maintain that it is resistant to CANbus attacks.  There was a joker some time ago who claimed to be demonstrating how such immobilisers could be bypassed by, for example, a bit of bent wire.  I believe he was outed as an incompetent installer who’d lost the franchise and was trying to discredit it by deliberately rigging systems for his videos.

I imagine that cars - much like horses - have been targeted by thieves ever since they were used as transport.  Clearly, customers have a right to expect  manufacturers to constantly improve their car’s security, but for both buyer and maker there’s a cost/benefit equation to consider - and sometimes the better answer may come from the aftermarket.

15 hours ago, LenT said:

I guess this is the type of driveway bollard you have in mind, Chris.  If the drive is suitable I would think this could be very effective - especially the retracting type that has no surface locks to attack.  I would add that a CCTV security system is also a good investment.

And there’s no doubt that professional thieves target specific models and clearly consider them most vulnerable when parked at home overnight.  But of course they’re less effective when your Lexus is parked in a supermarket or restaurant car park.

https://bollardsecurity.co.uk/product/r5-telescopic-bollard/#fulldesc

The question of whether to announce the installation of a Ghost (or similar) immobiliser with, say, window stickers, is an interesting one.  I think it would deter the opportunist -  especially if combined with a Disklok.

It could be argued that knowing what they might be facing, the thieves will be prepared.  However, the likes of Ghost do maintain that it is resistant to CANbus attacks.  There was a joker some time ago who claimed to be demonstrating how such immobilisers could be bypassed by, for example, a bit of bent wire.  I believe he was outed as an incompetent installer who’d lost the franchise and was trying to discredit it by deliberately rigging systems for his videos.

I imagine that cars - much like horses - have been targeted by thieves ever since they were used as transport.  Clearly, customers have a right to expect  manufacturers to constantly improve their car’s security, but for both buyer and maker there’s a cost/benefit equation to consider - and sometimes the better answer may come from the aftermarket.

Yes Len I have gone with the D4, CCTV has been installed for some years but is really worthless as most thieves were masks or helmets 

my Ghost was not supplied with warning stickers, i may contact them for some

• Like 1

I remember seeing some thieves breaking into a neighbour's car for about 5 minutes. I was on the phone to police telling them that the village only has one road in and out so if they came soon they would catch them. Their reply - we are too busy, no-one available - Bye. No further action, car stolen.

My son went out to the 4 of them while I was on the phone and was threatened to be stabbed by a 6 inch long screwdriver. So we just watched them take the car away, never to be seen again.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, GMB said:

I remember seeing some thieves breaking into a neighbour's car for about 5 minutes. I was on the phone to police telling them that the village only has one road in and out so if they came soon they would catch them. Their reply - we are too busy, no-one available - Bye. No further action, car stolen.

My son went out to the 4 of them while I was on the phone and was threatened to be stabbed by a 6 inch long screwdriver. So we just watched them take the car away, never to be seen again.

OMG the threat to your sons life MUST be reported as just that  “ Theft with murderous intent “

Please advise us what the police answer to that is 

Malc

I would pursue that right up to the Chief of Police too MP whatever 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

OMG the threat to your sons life MUST be reported as just that  “ Theft with murderous intent “

Please advise us what the police answer to that is 

We never told them about it because they are not interested.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, wendle said:

Yes Len I have gone with the D4….

I take it that that will be this fella:
https://bollardsecurity.co.uk/product/d4-telescopic-bollard/#specs

How have you been getting on with it?  It looks excellent.  Short of ramming it, cutting it or trying to pull it out with chains - none of which would be an easy or quiet process - I expect it will persuade most thieves to go for a neighbour’s car instead!

Unfortunately, our drive is so exposed that installation would be a load of bollards.  😊

3 hours ago, wendle said:

CCTV has been installed for some years but is really worthless as most thieves were masks or helmets 

Can’t quite agree here, Chris.  One only has to watch a few crime-related programmes to see that home CCTV can often provide the clues to identifying the perpetrators.  Yes, they may wear masks or helmets, but they often tend to be the same masks and helmets - and the same jackets and the same designer trainers that pick up identifiable gravel!  And sometimes they remove a glove and touch part of a car enough to leave even a partial print.

Even the way someone walks has been enough to identify them.  

And of course CCTV isn’t limited to just car theft.  I had a case where two incompetent installers damaged the kitchen floor while removing a dishwasher.  Despite denying liability, their conversation and actions outside the house were recorded and their company ended up paying for a whole new kitchen floor.  That one case alone paid for the entire CCTV installation.  So I’m rather a fan of them!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, LenT said:

I take it that that will be this fella:
https://bollardsecurity.co.uk/product/d4-telescopic-bollard/#specs

How have you been getting on with it?  It looks excellent.  Short of ramming it, cutting it or trying to pull it out with chains - none of which would be an easy or quiet process - I expect it will persuade most thieves to go for a neighbour’s car instead!

Unfortunately, our drive is so exposed that installation would be a load of bollards.  😊

Yes Len they are the company who will fit it, they are coming later this week, ill report back once i have had it for a week with the pros and cons.

I have the same problem with my drive, very open, in fact i could put bollards everywhere along the front and they could drive round them and out next doors, I have a few feet of wall across the front of my drive with a pillar, so it can be done, as you say anything to slow them down or prevent them from trying in the first place,

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wewillnotbefobbedoff said:

As a two Lexus owner and recent purchaser of a late gen 1 NX300h I’m kicking myself and reading with mounting horror that somehow I missed the RAV4, ES, RX, NX canbus theft fiasco despite doing what I thought was extensive research for a nearly new used vehicle from various premium brands and deciding on the NX based on reliability, comfort and the dealer after sales service. Outside of owners forums, the criminal fraternity and a few articles this issue seems have been kept a dirty secret by Lexus and to make matters worse the Lexus (as a brand) attitude seems to be a two fingered, not our problem, fob off to affected and potentially affected owners of vehicles subject to this theft method. A theft method made unjustifiably easy by poor design by the manufacturer and it appears they are making every attempt to deflect and avoid responsibility for. Sadly this appears to be the modus operandi for Lexus (the brand) when faced with inconvenient problems of their making that owners suffer for.

Although class actions have been mooted it appears the most likely method owners of affected vehicles can gain satisfactory redress to safeguard their valuable possessions as far as possible and to a level expected of a brand whose vehicles start at £40,000 and go up significantly from there and where even used models are between £20,000 to £35,000 from authorised dealers is to kick up such a very public fuss that it has the potential to become Lexus’s Ratner’s prawn sandwich moment.

Although not generally available from a casual internet search and often actively hidden by larger corporates and brands it is relatively easy to establish the full corporate structure, senior and board officers and obtain personal contact details for most large organisations that prefer to remain obscure. Lexus will be no different and it really is wasting time dealing with a ‘customer service’ mouthpiece. That is exactly what they want. Obfuscate, wear down, evade and hopefully the energy and anger will dissipate and the problem quietly go away without doing anything.

Should my NX300h be stolen due to canbus theft I am an educated, assertive, persistent and vindictive retired man with plenty of time on my hands and I will make it my mission to make sure Lexus’s refusal to provide a remedial fix for a problem entirely of their own making and they are fully aware of will be their Ratner’s prawn sandwich moment. I will sell my Lexuses, never purchase another one as has been the attitude of some of the more aggrieved owners on this site already inconvenienced and out of pocket due to canbus theft and make sure this does not remain concealed from the general public who think Lexus is an aspirational and desirable brand to own with high customer satisfaction. There is no point keeping this issue under wraps. The criminal fraternity and organised crime gangs are already fully conversant with canbus theft so owners are not disseminating anything that would cause them further significant damage.

I would be interested to communicate with other Lexus owners who are concerned about this canbus theft issue, who have been fobbed off so far by Lexus UK Customer Services with such nonsense as use a steering lock deterrent, owners who have suffered and are now ex Lexus owners and who intend never to purchase another Lexus again due to the experience and those who have communicated with Lexus executives or organisations such as Which, mass media generally or similar rather than waste time with Lexus UK Customer Services.

As a cohort existing Lexus owners are generally more likely than the average brand customer to be educated, affluent, assertive, pro-active and have useful skills and contacts. If Lexus wants that sort of customer for its premium priced vehicles, but chooses to insult and ignore them when not convenient for the brand as far as I am concerned it should expect to die by or at least be seriously financially damaged by its own sword and arrogance.

Bravo. I think this sums it up perfectly 

• Like 1

No matter the anti theft devices, once the low lifes damage your car, then its not the same. They don't care. 
I rather they steal the car, so the insurance can deal with it, otherwise you are left with a hefty bill which is not cheap considering replacing the the whole bumper, and any damaged headlight cables, that you would need to pay from your own pocket. My unfortunate experience and a few members from here.

3 minutes ago, Slucky said:

otherwise you are left with a hefty bill which is not cheap considering replacing the the whole bumper, and any damaged headlight cables, that you would need to pay from your own pocket.

why wouldn't you claim on insurance in this case as well as outright theft?

1 minute ago, ColinBarber said:

why wouldn't you claim on insurance in this case as well as outright theft?

Due to the fact, I know these low lifes will try again, so claiming multiple damages would only damage my pocket. Trust me they came back for a second go. In this case what would you suggest?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Slucky said:

Due to the fact, I know these low lifes will try again, so claiming multiple damages would only damage my pocket. Trust me they came back for a second go. In this case what would you suggest?

Understood. I initially thought you were saying your insurance wouldn’t cover the damaged. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Slucky said:

Fix up some sort of “ killer “ electric shock treatment for anyone getting inside the car nefariously ……. New idea ? 

Malc

On 1/2/2024 at 9:31 AM, wendle said:

Yes Len they are the company who will fit it, they are coming later this week, ill report back once i have had it for a week with the pros and cons.

I have the same problem with my drive, very open, in fact i could put bollards everywhere along the front and they could drive round them and out next doors, I have a few feet of wall across the front of my drive with a pillar, so it can be done, as you say anything to slow them down or prevent them from trying in the first place,

Any update as to your thoughts on the bollard please?

3 hours ago, Huwge said:

Any update as to your thoughts on the bollard please?

Bollard was fitted yesterday, all looks good and easy to use,

i just need to remember to put it down before driving off,

a bit of a pain if its poring down with rain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/11/2024 at 3:43 PM, wendle said:

Bollard was fitted yesterday, all looks good and easy to use,

i just need to remember to put it down before driving off,

a bit of a pain if its poring down with rain.

I’ve seen the result of an RX and bollard coming together. It’s expensive!

I have also went ahead and ordered installation from the same company. They recommended for my “setup” a single bollard will be sufficient to box the car in.

The one thing I was thinking though if bollard will give way if sufficient torque is applied eg trying to take the bollard down by “running it over” with the car itself ?

However, going by how these thieves operate it appears that they are interested if it can be done within a few minutes, that way a bollard will add several minutes to the task and might be an effective deterrent.

• 2 months later...

As a victim of ES300h theft in january 2023, I installed a Ghost 2 immobiliser and have a stoplock. Since then thieves tried to steal the car twice and both times by opening the panel next to the front left bumper. The damage to sort out this was several hundred pounds and now the Ghost installer is proposing to put a separate alarm protecting the vulnerable spot. Has anyone had experience with this? 

34 minutes ago, Stan from London said:

As a victim of ES300h theft in january 2023, I installed a Ghost 2 immobiliser and have a stoplock. Since then thieves tried to steal the car twice and both times by opening the panel next to the front left bumper. The damage to sort out this was several hundred pounds and now the Ghost installer is proposing to put a separate alarm protecting the vulnerable spot. Has anyone had experience with this?

Nightmare innit!  Have you considered moving to somewhere nicer? Not being funny but London seems to be a right pain of a place to live at the moment

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Stan from London said:

Can l ask who fitted the Ghost immobiliser to your ES and what year the car is please as l can't get one fitted to my MY 22 model as Autowatch say it's not compatible?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links